00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fallout 4: Automatron

941 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-27 15:39:26

So i'm pretty sure a lot of people played the new add-on for Fallout 4. I'd like to ask people, what kind of robot(s) did you build? What are their features?

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-28 10:32:35

Got a securitron head on a Mister Handy body...laser guns on one arm and a torch/flamethrower on the other. Made the whole automatron white, as I am the Director of the Institute after all.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-28 16:30:39

At 3/28/16 10:32 AM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: Got a securitron head on a Mister Handy body...laser guns on one arm and a torch/flamethrower on the other. Made the whole automatron white, as I am the Director of the Institute after all.

I made a Sentry Bot with a gattling laser for one arm, and a repeating laser for the other. I also have grenade launchers on the shoulders if they're not rockets. Don't remember right now. BTW Brotherhood of Steel all the way.

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-28 19:20:09

At 3/28/16 07:04 PM, Centaurora wrote: I played Fallout 4 once and I pretty much hated it.

They took out some of the best features:
1. Karma
2. Repair System
3. Juggling Skills and Perks

I still like it though. The best Fallout game is tied between Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Fallout 3 had a better story-line but New Vegas had more things to do.

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-29 07:21:09

At 3/28/16 07:20 PM, BLOODMIESTER wrote: They took out some of the best features:
1. Karma
2. Repair System

The karma system was always forced and shallow, it's one of the worst things they carried over from the old games but at least back then it was a fairly minor stat. On point #2 I literally don't know anyone who actually likes weapon degradation in games, it's always a needless and annoying feature that only makes everything slightly less fun. Those changes were more than welcome.

The problems with Fallout 4 were it's complete lack of depth and a castrated dialogue system.

Fallout 3 had a better story-line but New Vegas had more things to do.

I genuinely don't know how you could think this, the writing in Fallout 3 is horrendous with a predictable black and white main quest, and New Vegas is marred with restrictions, invisible barriers and shallow imitations of player freedom.

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-29 16:04:15 (edited 2016-03-29 16:07:38)

At 3/29/16 07:21 AM, Jackho wrote: and New Vegas is marred with restrictions, invisible barriers and shallow imitations of player freedom.

what

In New Vegas, your choices matter in how the factions respond to you, they give you rewards if you get them to like you and will act hostile to you if you act negative toward them (for the rest of the game unless you somehow are able to make it up to them). There are multiple ways of solving quests depending on which factions you side with and your playstyle, there are small events that happen in the world based on your choices in quests. Your ending is composed of around a hundred different possible slides based on your actions throughout the game. Iirc, a lot of perks are locked behind skills and SPECIAL, and there are events that can unlock based on how high your skills are in speech checks, such as npc's revealing extra dialog to you that can reveal locations or tell you where to go to next, or give you extra caps for doing a quest for them.

just because it doesn't use level scaling as much as fallout 3 doesn't mean it's linear.

filler text

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-29 16:29:34

At 3/28/16 07:30 PM, Centaurora wrote:
At 3/28/16 07:20 PM, BLOODMIESTER wrote: The best Fallout game is tied between Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Fallout 3 had a better story-line but New Vegas had more things to do.
Someone's never played the first two.

In fact I have! I have all of them(except bos). I just never got into it for some reason.

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-29 16:37:56

The karma system was always forced and shallow, it's one of the worst things they carried over from the old games but at least back then it was a fairly minor stat. On point #2 I literally don't know anyone who actually likes weapon degradation in games, it's always a needless and annoying feature that only makes everything slightly less fun. Those changes were more than welcome.

1. The Karma system was great. Your choices actually mattered whether or not people liked you or not. In Fallout 4 that's not the case.
2. The repair system had a sense of realism. Actually repairing everything made more sense than never having to repair.

I genuinely don't know how you could think this, the writing in Fallout 3 is horrendous with a predictable black and white main quest, and New Vegas is marred with restrictions, invisible barriers and shallow imitations of player freedom.

Fallout 3 had a better plot to follow. New Vegas is about a courier shot dead over a chip. Fallout 3, the plot is about finding your father which led up to something big. I never really had a problem with Vegas and I played A LOT of it. Old World Blues really get's me out of everything there though.

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-29 21:55:14

I'm still waiting to get Fallout 4 until they release a version with all the DLC like all the other Bethesda games. I bought Fallout 3, NV, Oblivion and Skyrim immediately because I couldn't wait and never got the dlc for those last two. But I got to play Fallout 4 for a while at my friend's house and was really liking it. Definitely want to get it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-30 07:56:20

At 3/29/16 04:37 PM, BLOODMIESTER wrote: 1. The Karma system was great. Your choices actually mattered whether or not people liked you or not. In Fallout 4 that's not the case.

This is blatantly untrue. Everything you do in F4 influences what your followers and factions think of you, only now it's on an individual basis that reflects each person's character and goals, the only difference is it's not tied to an idiotic karma stat that attempts to blanket every NPC and categorize every choice as plainly black or white. Simply painting some characters as definitively "evil" based on an arbitrary stat is so embarrassingly primitive and short sighted for a game that thinks it's about karma and choices. God forbid a player has to make difficult choices and decide the right path for themselves rather than having a clear signposted road toward "pure evil" and "Jesus 2.0" with the game so helpfully holding your hand every step of the way. Would you like OBVIOUS GOOD OPTION or OBVIOUS EVIL OPTION?

An example off the top of my head, killing Tenpenny gets you a shitload of "good karma" points, ignoring for a moment the fact that he's such a lazily constructed pure-evil archetype, it's outright idiotic to just have violent vigilante justice portrayed as the definite unquestionable right thing to do. In Fallout 4 you would get no "you've gained karma" pop-up but each follower and each faction would have different opinions on what you did, and not just in black and white terms. Preston & the Minutemen for example would likely accept that Tenpenny had to be dealt with but hate you for not having dealt with it in a diplomatic way. Every faction in F4 is convinced they're doing the right thing, even if it is ham handed most of the time it's up to the players perception to decide who is good and who is evil, and which consequences you are willing to accept. Or you can have a whole community eaten alive and be considered a saint for it in the capital wasteland, because they were all two-dimensional meanies with black hearts and didn't have any family or redeeming qualities. It's ridiculous.

2. The repair system had a sense of realism. Actually repairing everything made more sense than never having to repair.

All the "realistic needs" mods that add hygiene, hunger, thirst and disease all add realism but for the vast, vast majority of players would only add extra annoyance and busywork, as the repair function did. "Realism" does not make worthwhile game mechanics.

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-30 15:19:06

At 3/29/16 09:55 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm still waiting to get Fallout 4 until they release a version with all the DLC like all the other Bethesda games. I bought Fallout 3, NV, Oblivion and Skyrim immediately because I couldn't wait and never got the dlc for those last two. But I got to play Fallout 4 for a while at my friend's house and was really liking it. Definitely want to get it.

It is a good game though and I really enjoyed it. It had it's flaws, but the outcome was still great. If i'll say anything, you can still play after you're done(if you didn't know).

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-30 18:57:33

At 3/30/16 07:56 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/29/16 04:37 PM, BLOODMIESTER wrote: , as the repair function did.

The repair function helped to motivate you to explore more to repair your gear. If it wasn't in Fallout 3, it would have been more noticeable how there is not much variety in your gear in Fallout 3.

filler text

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-30 23:50:07

At 3/29/16 04:29 PM, BLOODMIESTER wrote:
At 3/28/16 07:30 PM, Centaurora wrote: Someone's never played the first two.
In fact I have! I have all of them(except bos). I just never got into it for some reason.

Emphasis on played. That shooty post-apocalyptic game Bethesda made isn't Fallout.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Fallout 4: Automatron 2016-03-31 16:07:17

Emphasis on played. That shooty post-apocalyptic game Bethesda made isn't Fallout.

Alright i'm confused. Care to explain?