00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DoctorSpectre just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time

9,033 Views | 124 Replies

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-27 20:47:45

At 3/27/16 08:41 PM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: The film was panned almost universally by critics...BUT, it still raked in millions of dollars at the box-office. The viewer-score for BvS is rather high. Film watchers are saying that while there's a good amount of weaknesses, it's still a good movie overall.

Critics are not normal moviegoers...they review films with a professional eyes, they're not there to watch the movies for a fun or entertaining time.

It's also about the word of mouth involved. If the word of mouth from the audience are good enough, the movie can avoid the same drop off that hurts the 2003 Hulk movie. One can hope the first weekend gross isn't too front loaded and hold up well enough by the second weekend.

You do not want to waste that kind of weekend.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

@Idiot-Finder

Yeah, as you say. That's purely domestic, you definitely need to count worldwide as there's another 80 + countries showing it, some that don't have their weekend up yet, in China alone it pulled in $57.3 million, so I don't know why you're discounting worldwide figures as this is an international release.

Also, the box office is out of whack a bit this week. It's a long weekend, and many people were saying it could be box office suicide with it on Easter Sunday and most people being with families over the holidays.

Remember the film was made for 250 Mil so it's clearly not a bomb. The marketing doesn't get factored in. But even at that, you're talking a 100 - 150. So about 400. So it's already made it back. With the likes of Avengers etc, they only started making that kinda cash way after their MCU had been estabished. With the money put into this, a return like Iron Man 2 would be suffice success.

Whatever happens, what I'm saying is, it's far. Very far from a bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-27 21:08:07

At 3/26/16 03:24 PM, PeterSatera wrote: It's ridiculous that people call this a "bomb of all time". It's made more cash than the original Avengers and Age of Ultron in its opening night.

Both Avengers movies premiered first in Europe and South America and a week later in the USA, Batman v Superman premiered globally. If you considered this, Batman v Superman making just "a little more" than both Avengers is not really that impressive.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-27 21:19:22

At 3/27/16 08:54 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Yeah, as you say. That'spurely domestic, you definitely need to count worldwide as there's another 80 + countries showing it, some that don't have their weekend up yet, in China alone it pulled in $57.3 million, so I don't know why you're discounting worldwide figures as this is an international release.

I did say that international release can back it up but until next week we have no idea how much of the gross is front loaded. What the critics say doesn't matter but the fact is if the audience didn't like it enough to support it after the first day, it can poise a problem, as in having a bad word of mouth keeping others from wanting to watch it. If given the chance I'd check it out but at this time, they have to hope the drop off won't be that severe by the next weekend. Same can happen on the international intake as well though for DC's sake, I hope not.

Also, the box office is out of whack a bit this week. It's a long weekend, and many people were saying it could be box office suicide with it on Easter Sunday and most people being with families over the holidays.

Same can apply with other holiday weekends as well, such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, and so on.

Remember the film was made for 250 Mil so it's clearly not a bomb. The marketing doesn't get factored in. But even at that, you're talking a 100 - 150. So about 400. So it's already made it back. With the likes of Avengers etc, they only started making that kinda cash way after their MCU had been estabished. With the money put into this, a return like Iron Man 2 would be suffice success.

I never say it was a bomb, just that there's a good chance it won't make as much profit it should have despite the strong opening. If the movie can hold up well enough by the next weekend, it should make at least 300 mill but right now, time will tell whether or not the audience like it enough to further support the movie. Maybe then the daily drop off would become a false alarm but we have to wait and see.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

At 3/27/16 09:08 PM, creepyboy wrote:
At 3/26/16 03:24 PM, PeterSatera wrote: It's ridiculous that people call this a "bomb of all time". It's made more cash than the original Avengers and Age of Ultron in its opening night.
Both Avengers movies premiered first in Europe and South America and a week later in the USA, Batman v Superman premiered globally. If you considered this, Batman v Superman making just "a little more" than both Avengers is not really that impressive.

If anything that proved BvS's intake if Europe gained a weeks full take before the opening box office was calculated. You have to remember that these movies are huge from their opening take. Both of them. Whether you dislike the film or not, it's undeniable that's it's shit load of cash in a few days. I dont get impressed by corporate figures, but that's a lot of intake either way, and it just seems that you're playing it down idiot finder.

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-27 21:23:16

At 3/27/16 09:08 PM, creepyboy wrote:

To be honest with you, I wasn't aware of that so I had to look it up. Turns out it became as trend for Marvel movies lately for some reason.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

At 3/27/16 09:23 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: To be honest with you, I wasn't aware of that so I had to look it up. Turns out it became as trend for Marvel movies lately for some reason.

I do remember it, because I had to keep quiet for a week on social media. XD (in the UK)

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-27 21:48:53

At 3/27/16 09:23 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
Turns out it became as trend for Marvel movies lately for some reason.

Civil War will also be released a week earlier in most european and south american countries. Why Marvel is doing this? no idea.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-27 23:00:02

At 3/27/16 09:48 PM, creepyboy wrote:
At 3/27/16 09:23 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
Turns out it became as trend for Marvel movies lately for some reason.
Civil War will also be released a week earlier in most european and south american countries. Why Marvel is doing this? no idea.

Probably to take advantage of some European holidays or something.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 05:17:06

At 3/27/16 08:54 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Whatever happens, what I'm saying is, it's far. Very far from a bomb.

Yeah, totally agree.

I get out of this two things:
- It goes to show how much the Superman and Batman brand goes to making the film a success.
- Marvel fanboys like Strongbad want to use this as an opportunity to trash DC.

Both are silly.

BBS Signature

At 3/28/16 05:17 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 3/27/16 08:54 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Whatever happens, what I'm saying is, it's far. Very far from a bomb.
Yeah, totally agree.

I get out of this two things:
- It goes to show how much the Superman and Batman brand goes to making the film a success.
- Marvel fanboys like Strongbad want to use this as an opportunity to trash DC.

Both are silly.

Absolutely. These films aren't made to be Oscar winners, or pivotal films that change the world. They are there to make cash and be a bit of escapism for a few hours.

Im amazed that Marvel fanatics are celebrating a creative films failings. That to me proves how people are bought through brands. I always comeback to 'where were these fanatics 10 years ago? When Marvel was about to fold, before John Favreau saved it leading to Disney's buyout. Now, 10 years later it's "cool" to be a geek. And the brand has created haters for everything that doesn't have a marvel logo on it. And in return, DC fanatics have popped up more and more to defend their brands due to the excessive hate. There used to just be fans of comic book films.

I've been a fan of both for a long time. And now I've unfollowed so many sites due to the huge uprising of Fanboys, that want to destroy any positive experience you may have. It's pathetic to see corporate elitism, and branding a film which is fouth highest ranking in the world for opening as a "bomb" shows a clear bias, praising any short comings the film may have using it as a victory over rivalry fans.

Seeing this fan boy war, all I can say is "I'm getting too old for this shit".

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 06:57:42

The problem with any "Batman and Superman" idea is Superman. He's just not a well-designed character. He's a completely unrealistic overpowered demigod devoid of any notable personality or interesting traits whatsoever.

Batman should always belong to a plausible universe. Unlikely, sure (I mean how likely is it everyone decides to start wearing superhero outfits all the time?) but at least, roughly, it should be possible.

Superman isn't plausible at all. So de facto any universe which contains Superman also isn't plausible. You may as well write in that there was a super asteroid that smashed into a volcano and became Asteroidman whose super power is pooping lava and you'd have better writing than anything which includes Superman.

Superman is like the Mary Sue of super heroes, and pretty typical of the invincible super-hero any 5-year old might think up. Batman might be unrealistic, but at least isn't flat-out impossible.

And, no, I haven't watched the movie, but I don't imagine it can be any good. I didn't much like "Justice Friends" or "Justice League" for similar reasons. Namely, Superman makes anything lame.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 07:33:32

At 3/28/16 06:57 AM, NeonSpider wrote: The problem with any "Batman and Superman" idea is Superman. He's just not a well-designed character. He's a completely unrealistic overpowered demigod devoid of any notable personality or interesting traits whatsoever.

This might be true for this film (haven't seen it) but it doesn't have to be. The Superman comics were resurrected in the 70s and 80s, with less powers and a more grounded / less idealist mindset - Batman went through a comparable shift in tone, the difference is for whatever reason the film adaptations of Batman reflected the "new" version and caught on while Superman's portrayals always fall back on the tired outdated version, and were largely always shit anyway.

Superman possibly has the most untapped potential of any mainstream superhero, he just needs to be put in the right hands, with people who understand why he's failed to capture modern audiences. Hell this movie even seems like it could get into the darker sides of superman but it looks like such an incoherent mess there's no way they could do it justice (ayy).

At 3/28/16 10:18 AM, Sekhem wrote: people celebrated marvel's cinematic failures in the 00s plenty (daredevil, elektra, fantastic four - which is still one of the worst films ever made, f4 2 etc)

Not to this extent. Not to the point where people parade themselves about pleased at films failure.

there's no bias showing if you say bvs is a terrible
critically and artistically, that's the majority opinion and even the most glowing reviews acknowledge PLENTY of faults

There is no bias in saying that. You're entitled to your opinion if you liked it or not. But you need to be aware that claiming majority hate on the film is indeed a biased remark. That statistics prove quite the opposite. With high ratings, followed with high box office in take.

If you take audiences opinions on RT for instance the majority is clearly sided with the films appeal. This is represented in RT which calculated to date 168,428 reviews and they still settle on around the 73% mark saying they liked it. On IMDB very similar figures, with 147,987 Ratings put it at 7.5 averaged. Metacritic has their user rating at 7.4 with 1968 user reviews.

So that proves the majority when it comes to audiences is clearly on the positive. As I say it's fine to personally dislike the movie, and see faults. People will always pick out the negatives over the positives. But you need to understand just because you and many others disliked it, doesn't suddenly make the film worldwide disliked. To imply majority dislike the film then that is a biased remark, because it disregards acknowledgement of the factual figures provided.

BBS Signature

@Sekhem

Not all comic creators like every comic either. So bringing up a Dan Slotts quote doesn't add weight to your debate. It's still one guy, who dare I say works and has worked currently for Marvel for over a decade. I could easily reply with the same context with DC creators who promote the film. Who constantly tweet out support for BvS.

And sorry Sekhem, you're arguement against popularity is failing miserably. And proof is that you're taking critic reviews over an actual audience. Is that REALLY your argument?

The critics that gave Sharknado 82% whereas the audience gave it 33%
The 200 critics that gave that piece of trash Hulk (2003) 62% (now 61%) when the audience of 430 Thousand gave it 29%. Those critics? Need I go on?

Implying critics are the correct source of being able to judge a film is ridiculous. You're taking a comic movie, putting it in front of suits, article editors and executives of newspapers who some of them have to little to no background in film making or have any interest in the subject matter and giving them the justification to speak for millions of people. Sorry, you can't justify around 250 reviews and 51 reviews on metacritic in comparison to the actual audience it was made for which is now 180K reviews, still at 73% on RT.

Listen to what you have just written, "you can't count the fans opinion". Really? Then who was the film made for? Critics? Are you actually implying that? You said It was the "majority" that dislike this film. I've proved you wrong, so now you're basically saying "No, it's the critics that matter." and you have to select from this "narrower and more selected critical pool".

You can grab your selected 200 odd reviewers to substantiate "majority" claim. I'll use actual majority figures. Honestly, you're showing you are biased beyond facts, making this debate beyond ridiculous.

Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 19:00:54

At 3/28/16 05:45 PM, Sekhem wrote: "critically and artistically" were key words in my original post that you quoted

i never said popularly it wasn't successful, but i do mean that the weight of a low iq moron's opinion, like yours who can't read a post doesn't mean shit to me

I'm not even getting into the who Van Gogh v Margaret Keane thing. They aren't even from the same century.

Proof was in the facts Sekhem. You're implication that viewers can't comprehend critical analysis is deluded. These users are scoring and writing reviews online, you've just done that. That's criticism of the film, editorially, artistically, audibly, visually. Production through and through. If you can't accept that they have critical acclaim and put people down to "morons" when they don't agree with you, then that's an issue with yourself. Not everyone else.

I've not even spoken of what I thought about the film. I've dealt in facts of what has been proved by online audiences and numbers. So you talking about my opinion is pointless, since I've never spoke about how I felt about the film, but referred to mass sources, who evidently like it.

The fact you've decided to turn to insults shows you cant even have rational discussion about this though, with intent to make this personal. Which is okay, some people can't comprehend discussion without getting personally invested, but to be honest before it goes on any further, I really can't be bothered with it. It just makes the discussion...whiney.

In the end the masses show they love it, the Box office numbers show they love it and the criticism from the aimed target audiences love it. There's many that don't, and they've made their voices heard, which can only help the DCEU. But, knowing the numbers you can see you're in the minority with a handful of critics. The rest, liked it.

It's a shame to hear you disliked the film, after possibly spending your money. But hey, that's cinema, and a gamble with every film. Maybe you'll have better luck with Civil War, or Suicide Squad.

See ya.

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 19:04:39

Not a movie I would see again, unless it was in the Dollar movies. But worth watching and can't wait for the sequel.

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 20:53:04

At 3/26/16 01:29 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: I pretty much hated Man of Steel. It was one long military commercial (literally, the military was heavily in involved in it). Plus, how many times are they going to rehash the same damn story over and over again?

So I didn't have high hopes for this movie to begin with. I'll probably play it in the background as I'm working on something when it goes straight to Netflix or Amazon but that's about it.

Man of Steel was bad, and this Superman 2, disguised as Bats vs Supes is even worse.

It just went from 30 to 29 on Rotten Tomatoes.com

I have warned everybody I know about wasting money on this horrible film. Once they read the reviews, they thanked me.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 21:00:04

Batman V Superman has made (as of the time of writing this) $420 million worldwide against a $250 million budget. It's too late now for it to be the biggest flop ever. In fact, it's looking like it will be a decent hit. It won't break records, but it will probably end around $650 million.

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 21:17:24

At 3/28/16 09:00 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Batman V Superman has made (as of the time of writing this) $420 million worldwide against a $250 million budget. It's too late now for it to be the biggest flop ever. In fact, it's looking like it will be a decent hit. It won't break records, but it will probably end around $650 million.

Well not domestically but it can still have a shot for at least 800 mill worldwide if all goes well. It depends on how much it'll hold up next weekend.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-28 21:20:50

At 3/28/16 09:17 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 3/28/16 09:00 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Batman V Superman has made (as of the time of writing this) $420 million worldwide against a $250 million budget. It's too late now for it to be the biggest flop ever. In fact, it's looking like it will be a decent hit. It won't break records, but it will probably end around $650 million.
Well not domestically but it can still have a shot for at least 800 mill worldwide if all goes well. It depends on how much it'll hold up next weekend.

Yeah, I wasn't talking domestically. I see it maybe making about $300-350 million in the US when it's all said and done. It didn't turn out like 47 Ronin, The 13th Warrior, or, god forbid, Cutthroat Island, though.

Batman V Superman will do fine for what it's worth. What I'm afraid of is we may not get a Justice League movie anytime soon based on the critical reviews. Plus, I think WB is looking for a $1 billion movie. If Batman V Superman doesn't make that (which it probably won't) we won't see that movie.

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-29 11:15:02

At 3/26/16 01:56 PM, SocialistClock wrote: How? Why?
All the military did was go "oh shit, we cant do anything to Superman, we are completely useless :("
Not a very good recruitment movie imo

Most of Man of Steal was stupid and pointless. Superman 2 continues the tradition of being stupid and pointless. It also tries to do too much at once.

BBS Signature

The drop off became stabilized on Monday so far. It may not be great but it's actually typical for any blockbuster movies as far as grossing goes after the first weekend, with that said, 15 million on Monday ain't bad.

If it grossing remains within that level on Thursday, it should hold up decently on the second weekend.

Also I looked up on the 1997 Batman movie and compared it to the one made 2 years before, turns out it was doomed from the start since the box office debut was even weaker than Batman Forever.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-29 23:31:53

At 3/26/16 02:07 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Google the military's involvement in Hollywood, specifically this movie. They played 15 minutes of military commercials before it too. They can never make the military look bad, for example.

That wasn't the only problem I had with it (Kevin Costner as the dad for example) but just something that was painfully obvious.

Nobody wants more commercials in a movie. Try harder next time Superman films.

Kevin Costner was terrible in part one. Ben Affleck is bad in part two.

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-29 23:50:44

i havent even seen the new star wars

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-30 12:33:02

At 3/26/16 02:17 PM, FoAngel wrote: You know it's a bomb when you see Ben Affleck in interviews looking like he's having a PTSD flashback of Daredevil

That is very true. It has to be challenging to tell people the movie is decent, when you know it is a steaming pile of crap.

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-30 18:52:02

At 3/29/16 11:31 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 3/26/16 02:07 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: . Ben Affleck is bad in part two.

From what I keep hearing, no. People who didn't like the movie still say he was good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-30 18:58:35

I watched it last week. Of all the actors they could've picked for Lex Luthor, why did they have to pick Jesse Eisenberg? Not only does he look nothing like Luthor did in the cartoon or comics, but he's just not good actor for super villains. All I see is the nerdy kid from zombie land.

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-30 19:04:34

At 3/30/16 06:58 PM, groovyguy wrote: I watched it last week. Of all the actors they could've picked for Lex Luthor, why did they have to pick Jesse Eisenberg? Not only does he look nothing like Luthor did in the cartoon or comics, but he's just not good actor for super villains. All I see is the nerdy kid from zombie land.

They should have just brought back Kevin Spacey.

Response to Bat v Sup Biggest bomb of all time 2016-03-30 20:29:16

Critic Reviews =/= Box Office Score

Let's just be honest, it's a film that's getting money at this point simply because it has 2 popular DC characters.

It's flawed, mostly on Superman's story, but Batfleck is a damn good performance along with Jeremy Irons.

Plus Batfleck supposedly has a script idea for a standalone Batman movie, and we know he's a great screenwriter as opposed to an actor. So that's one silver lining to look forward to.

Let's just face it, DC might come with a better Batman flick than Nolan's pretentious "real and edgy" trilogy.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature