00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Snooze34 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

47,791 Views | 153 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-27 23:27:05

At 3/27/16 10:58 PM, Whirlguy wrote: One of the basic necessities for any project is to save the thing into a file, but OpenToonz is confusing even there. I figured out "save scene" is what saves the actual animation into a .tnz file. What about "save level" though? Is it important somehow? I wouldn't want to lose any hard work not knowing it was important...

Saving a level is like saving an individual layer. Remember that this was used for shared projects among a studio of people, so it made sense to have everything saved to different file types that could easily be swapped among computers.'

Apparently you can also convert a series of scanned images into a single .tlv raster level, but I've been having trouble getting that to work properly. I still maintain that the best way to import traditional drawings is with a video.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 00:16:43 (edited 2016-03-28 00:17:10)

JUST GET OVER IT NEWGROUNDS! JAPAN IS JAPAN AND AMERICA IS AMERICA!

WE READ LEFT FROM RIGHT AND THEY READ UP FROM DOWN AND ISRAEL READS RIGHT FROM LEFT!

SO DONT ROCK THE BOAT JUST USE FLASH! I MEAN WE MAKE ANIMATIONS ABOUT PEOPLE IN BLENDERS FOR GODS SAKE!

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

Like a Khan.

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 00:36:49 (edited 2016-03-28 00:37:24)

At 3/28/16 12:16 AM, Krutches wrote: JUST GET OVER IT NEWGROUNDS! JAPAN IS JAPAN AND AMERICA IS AMERICA!

WE READ LEFT FROM RIGHT AND THEY READ UP FROM DOWN AND ISRAEL READS RIGHT FROM LEFT!

SO DONT ROCK THE BOAT JUST USE FLASH! I MEAN WE MAKE ANIMATIONS ABOUT PEOPLE IN BLENDERS FOR GODS SAKE!

This is also coming from a guy who is afraid the market for cool stuff is being saturated. I mean half of me wants people to be cool, and another half remembers that only the most secretive coolest dudes were animators.

oh my god im a hipster.

Like a Khan.

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 00:42:26

I've been surfing the net looking at how people are handling the program. A lot of people are struggling and trying to figure everything out since there's no instruction manual in English. Since the program came out so recenly, it'll take a while before anyone will be able to create patches, plugins, and tutorials so this program can be used by more people.
Anyway, I found this tutorial here that will show people how to bring in the default shortcuts that was removed from OpenToonz but are available in Toonz Harlequin

Also, here's a link showing the paperless workflow. Again, it's for Harlequinn, but I know there are plenty of people who want to do cutout animation, and this program should have the potential to do it. I've already seen someone tween something in it.

I actually haven't downloaded the program myself since I'm too busy to try it out, but I enjoy seeing what people have done with it so far.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 00:43:35

But, all that being said... Why is the TOS in Japanese and not English? Do I have to kill my first born baby.

Like a Khan.

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 02:31:43 (edited 2016-03-28 02:33:20)

I think I'm really starting to get the hang of this!

OpenToonz Animation Jam!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 06:22:40

At 3/28/16 02:31 AM, RedMarlin wrote: I think I'm really starting to get the hang of this!

Wow, looks like it. Was that scanned from paper or drawn straight into OpenToonz?

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 09:52:49 (edited 2016-03-28 09:57:56)

Some stuff I found out:

>>Scanning Within Toonz<<

- To scan within the program, right click one of the blank frames, click new level, set the type to scan layer, set the name, then click okay.
- Then go up to scan in the menu bar and click define scanner. It seems TWAIN scanner drivers work best with Toonz, but not too many common scanners seem to support that. Click the drop down menu and select internal for most printers. If you have a paper feeder scanner, go to scan settings and turn on paper feeder. This lets you just throw the papers in and scan the whole animation at once.
- For one frame (most scanners) just click your frame and click scan. To scan multiple frames, select all frames you want, then scan to do multiple frames with the feeder.
- If you made a mess up scanning a few frames with the feeder, just put the papers of those specific frames back in, highlight the frames you want corrected, then scan.
Note: It seems that this feature is pretty broken as of v1.0. I tried it with an Epson that would be detected, Toonz would even have the printer's name and everything, but during scan would bring up an error. Too many retries or something like that immideately. GTS just doesn't work on any scanner I've tried as well... So -

>>Scanning Outside of Toonz<<

- Naming structure is important. Toonz wants these in sequence named specifically as "name.0001.png", "name.0002.png", ...
- For now, just scan your frames in numerical order. Name first, number second, extention last. Simple, most scanners do this by default. So, something like "blah0001.png".
- Now, to get it into the naming Toonz wants, we have a few ways of doing this.
1. Manually rename the files
2. Use Bulk Rename Utility to automatically rename them.
2. Install Bulk Rename Utility. Open it and drag and drop all files you need to the main window. Go to replace. Replace "name" with "name." for example. If your scanner names the files with 3 numbers instead of 4, you can just rename it something like "name.0". Shift select all files you want, then click the rename button on the lower right. Done.
- Open Toonz, then click a frame in a layer. Right click, load level, then go to the folder with all your renamed frames. Then, if you did everything right, you should only see one file instead of a bunch. What we just did made all the frames act as an image sequence file. Exactly what we want. Click that one file (which is kind of just an organized collection of all of our files) and it should load perfectly as seperate frames in one layer.

>>Dealing with Scans inside Toonz<<

- When scans load within Toonz, it will act like a raster level. In Toonz, we can really only color in a Toonz vector level or Toonz raster level, not a normal raster level.
- You can convert it by using the Cleanup feature. This will turn it into a Toonz raster level. Something we can edit properly.
- Within the cleanup interface, go to settings/cleanup options if it's not already open. Then highlight the frames you want and go to processing/cleanup preview on the menu bar.
- Once everything looks fine, go to processing/cleanup. Now turn off cleanup preview mode. Done. Now you can use the fill tool, color, or do whatever to your scanned images.
Note: There is also a trace bitmap feature to convert it to vector, but I wouldn't recommend that since you don't get a perfect outline.

>>Properly Changing Resolution<<

- People gave a few instructions on how to change resolution but none of them seem to be the proper way to do things.
- For simplicity, let's change the scene to 1080p. First, go to Customize/Preferences/Drawing. Now let's look at the width and height. Keep DPI (which is technically PPI) at 64.
- Width and height refer to the default canvas size only when using the raster brush. This is NOT the camera size. Think like this; in Flash when you zoom out enough there's an outer box that doesn't allow you to draw past it. This is what it is. This is also the reason why the raster brush didn't like to draw outside of the camera. By default this and the camera are set as the same size.
- Let's change the canvas size to 8x what the camera is if you care about the raster brush. So in Toonz terms, 8x 1080p@64ppi is 3048mm x 1714.496mm.
- Now let's change the camera resolution. Go to settings/output settings. Change it to 1920x1080 next to pixels. You'll have to unlock the top 2 aspect ratio locks first. Keep it at 64dpi.
- Click the add button next to presets at the top. Call it something like FullHD. Done.
- One thing to note is that when you restart the program, the camera will be reset to default. To fix this, just go back to the output settings, then drop down to your preset at the top.

>>Other Tips<<

- To move layers, hover to the left side of the layer until you see a bar highlight yellow. Now grab it over. Right is top, left is bottom.
- To loop an animation, right click your frames and click repeat.
- To reverse an animation, right click your frames and click reverse.
- To scale or move a layer, click a frame in the layer, select the edit tool, and the second drop down menu will let you move or scale.
- To scale a drawing, just drag over the drawing with the cursor and then you can just drag in and out as you usually would.

I hope this helps you guys out. Took me a while of troubleshooting to get this far.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 10:36:25

At 3/27/16 11:27 PM, RedMarlin wrote: Saving a level is like saving an individual layer. Remember that this was used for shared projects among a studio of people, so it made sense to have everything saved to different file types that could easily be swapped among computers.'

Ah right. By left-clicking one of the columns you get the option to load a level, which imports .pli files into the timeline. I guess I see the use in that.

At 3/28/16 12:16 AM, Krutches wrote: JUST GET OVER IT NEWGROUNDS!

Obnoxious man. Adobe is at its limits these days. It's actually a pretty good idea to try whatever else is out there.

At 3/28/16 09:52 AM, Amnimate wrote: I hope this helps you guys out. Took me a while of troubleshooting to get this far.

Awesome work, definitely found some useful pointers in there!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 10:50:07

At 3/28/16 02:31 AM, RedMarlin wrote: I think I'm really starting to get the hang of this!

Nice!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 10:56:08 (edited 2016-03-28 11:05:09)

Anybody know why tf my lines turned bold out of nowhere? they're far thicker than what they were an hour ago :/

As in when i draw, not what i have already drawn...

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 11:43:22 (edited 2016-03-28 11:43:47)

At 3/27/16 11:27 PM, RedMarlin wrote:
Saving a level is like saving an individual layer.

Not exactly, not if my experience with OpenToonz so far is anything to go by.
Levels and Columns aren't the same thing.
Columns in the Xsheet are more like Layers, the higher the column number, the higher it is in the layer ordering (Column 3 is on top of Column 2, which is on top of Column 1 etc.)

A level is a sequence of consecutive frames within a column. Say you have 5 consecutive frames of animation in column 1, then 2 empty frames, then 10 more frames of animation, still in column 1. Those two sets of 5 and 10 animated frames would be counted as two different levels (because there is a pause between them) and would need to be saved individually.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 12:11:16

At 3/28/16 11:43 AM, VogJam wrote: A level is a sequence of consecutive frames within a column. Say you have 5 consecutive frames of animation in column 1, then 2 empty frames, then 10 more frames of animation, still in column 1. Those two sets of 5 and 10 animated frames would be counted as two different levels (because there is a pause between them) and would need to be saved individually.

That makes a bit more sense. I have noticed some wonky behavior here and there, probably because of this. There has to be a way to merge levels then.

At 3/28/16 06:22 AM, VogJam wrote: Was that scanned from paper or drawn straight into OpenToonz?

It was scanned in from a while ago, but I used it to test the cleanup engine. It's halfway decent, but unless they're already perfectly inked when you import them, you'll probably have to go over them again anyway.

@Anmimate Lots of good information here. OpenToonz wouldn't recognize any TWAIN scanners (even though mine is one, apparently), and it would freeze when trying to define internal scanners, so I guess using that's not an option for me right now. I tried converting outside scans, but I guess I got the naming wrong, because it would only do one at a time.

Few pointers for the cleanup tool:

-To resize a level, just right-click it and go to "level settings", and you can set the size. Took me a while to figure that out because I was looking for more of a Photoshop-Transform tool.
-Go to Processing>Camera Test. This puts a red boundary around your scans that you can use to trim away excess space.
-Opacity Check is to determine the amount of anti-aliasing.

As for the raster brush, the only advantage to it I see thus far is that there's a tool that allows you to re-paint areas without painting over lines, which is good for doing shading. For some reason, the vector brush doesn't have an equivalent, unless I overlooked it. Otherwise, it behaves about the same as the vector brush, so I suppose my vision of painting backgrounds directly inside the program is moot.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 14:26:18

If anyone needs a VA you can check out my Demo Here:

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 14:58:47

At 3/27/16 09:47 PM, Jomillex wrote: I'm not sure why. But this program is horribly glitchy on my computer.. Someone else mentioned this and I'm having the same problem. Where the drawing tool will break and the stage will randomly zoom in and out and pan around. Anyone have a fix?

Mine fucking crashed after 8 hours work now i only have the first frame uncoloured because i forgot to save

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 17:24:32

As much as I would love to start messing with this program, it doesn't really seem stable yet based on things I have been reading here and elsewhere. The fact their isn't an English manual as well at this point, I think I will wait until I can navigate the software in an easier manner. Good luck to everyone who is continuing to push through!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 18:22:22 (edited 2016-03-28 18:29:05)

If it helps anyone, they've just released an updated version 1.0.1 for Windows. Mac version will follow in a few days.

I have to wonder, was the commercial version this buggy and crash-prone?

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 18:39:56

I found some Resources of how this junk works!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jjeh1USIlY

http://www.toonz.com/htm/support/suppw.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Oyv9SJhc0

Have fun! and Good luck to everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 18:41:53

At 3/28/16 06:22 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: If it helps anyone, they've just released an updated version 1.0.1 for Windows. Mac version will follow in a few days.

Is there a place where updates and changes are announced?

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 18:47:42 (edited 2016-03-28 18:48:42)

@Redmarlin Wow dude I just posted a link to your tutorial XD

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 18:54:52

At 3/28/16 06:41 PM, RedMarlin wrote:
At 3/28/16 06:22 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: If it helps anyone, they've just released an updated version 1.0.1 for Windows. Mac version will follow in a few days.
Is there a place where updates and changes are announced?

No clue I'm afraid.

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 19:43:22 (edited 2016-03-28 19:53:08)

Looks pretty darn good man! Say, you mentioned "tweening" in your video earlier at 8:52 but I soon noticed you weren't talking of motion tweens but rather the process of inbetweening. Is there any way to motion tween though? I noticed your background and character move at different speeds and directions. If this was all pain-staking frame by frame animation then I congratulate you on making it looks so smooth. If not, will you please let me in on your secret?

At 3/28/16 11:43 AM, VogJam wrote: A level is a sequence of consecutive frames within a column. Say you have 5 consecutive frames of animation in column 1, then 2 empty frames, then 10 more frames of animation, still in column 1. Those two sets of 5 and 10 animated frames would be counted as two different levels (because there is a pause between them) and would need to be saved individually.

Heh, that's good to know. So there's limits to saving a level then... Levels are like frames then, or a sequence thereof. Like you said.

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 21:00:56

At 3/28/16 07:43 PM, Whirlguy wrote:

:Say, you mentioned "tweening" in your video earlier at 8:52 but I soon noticed you weren't talking of motion tweens but rather the process of inbetweening. Is there any way to motion tween though? I noticed your background and character move at different speeds and directions. If this was all pain-staking frame by frame animation then I congratulate you on making it looks so smooth. If not, will you please let me in on your secret?

There is tweening like you'd find with Flash or Toon Boom. I used this video that came from @MGHerod's link, which also shows you what the schematic is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxNHhm8SJY

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-28 22:00:28

At 3/28/16 09:00 PM, RedMarlin wrote:
At 3/28/16 07:43 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
There is tweening like you'd find with Flash or Toon Boom. I used this video that came from @MGHerod's link, which also shows you what the schematic is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxNHhm8SJY

This might help!

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-29 02:23:36

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone posted this here already but I'm going to post the link anyway. It will help you figure out ToonZ.

Good luck folks! Let's do some amazing animation! Let's bring back 2D to the world, I'm sick of 3D!

https://vimeo.com/160517233

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-29 05:34:53

UPDATE: the OpenToonz crash on startup problem for me was due to "tsccvid64.dll" - it's for Camtasia which I use to record the screen while I work.

So, if you have Camtasia on your computer and can't get OpenToonz to work, try deleting "tsccvid64.dll" from your computer (or move it to the desktop like I did)

RubberOnion = flexible and multilayered

BBS Signature

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-29 10:17:08

Sucks the deadline is so soon. OpenToonz doesn't even work on mac :(( I get random zooming and scrolling whenever I move the cursor over the interface. Overall the program is buggy as hell and won't let me draw (or use any of the toolbar) after I turn onion-skin on or right-click for whatever reason. I can't animate without onion skinning sooo yeah. You can see the problem.

I've found other mac users with this issue but no one seems to know a fix. OpenToonz' User Forum is pretty much useless.
It's awesome the program is free and all but what's the point if the program only works right for like three people?

This is a total shot in the dark but anyone else having these problems? Any fixes.. At all?
Thanks. (OSX 10.11)

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-29 16:12:11

At 3/26/16 08:17 PM, BooneBum wrote: rushed tutorial 4 u guys!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvczYcWL-GU

thanks alot for the tutorial

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-29 16:16:25

I noticed that when you zoom in a ways, trying to fill an object in with a color becomes difficult. Heres a video of it in action:

OpenToonz Fill Trouble

Response to OpenToonz Animation Jam! 2016-03-29 18:30:58 (edited 2016-03-29 18:31:56)

In case you want to fix OpenToonz(the way I did it) on Windows 10, relocate the following files to a folder in "My Documents":

"FF_VFW.DLL" from "C:\Windows\System32"
"FF_VFW.DLL" from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64"
"lvcod64.dll" from "C:\Windows\System32"

I hope this helps.