00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Two Steps From Hell

2,087 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Two Steps From Hell 2016-03-20 06:26:18

Or theatrical music in general (i just listen to tsfh almost exclusively in this case). What are your guys opinions on such genres? Should it just stay in movies, can they be stand alone. I often use it when i want to be creative.

Oldskies lmao

BBS Signature

Response to Two Steps From Hell 2016-03-20 08:01:54

There's all kinds of music in movies, that stands on it's own, which you would think wouldn't.

Response to Two Steps From Hell 2016-03-20 11:41:30

what kind of question is that lol.
anyway steps from hell are OSOM

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to Two Steps From Hell 2016-03-20 13:30:12 (edited 2016-03-20 13:31:22)

I wouldn't label TSFH as movie music. Sure their music is used in movie trailers, but they're written in context to be standalone album songs.

Now if we're talking actual film score, then that's another story.

Response to Two Steps From Hell 2016-03-20 16:40:40 (edited 2016-03-20 16:43:23)

Even when thomas bergersen ( TSFH) doesnt do cinematic style music, their production quality is world class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYhocUr6aQ

I do listen to some of his music just to listen to, like "colors of love" "color the sky" "Amaria" "Blackheart", which happen to be some of my favorites.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Two Steps From Hell 2016-03-21 09:51:02 (edited 2016-03-21 09:53:29)

At 3/20/16 06:26 AM, MykeiXWolfe wrote: Or theatrical music in general (i just listen to tsfh almost exclusively in this case). What are your guys opinions on such genres? Should it just stay in movies, can they be stand alone. I often use it when i want to be creative.

Trailer music in most cases is not about creating to picture. But they are created for picture. The difference is production usage. Studying trailer music the one thing that Trailer Editors say is the longest thing it takes them is finding the music. This is because trailers in most cases use a track which is precreated for the purpose of marketing, whereas music in films is composed to the timings of the film. The differences is how they are applied. Trailer music comes before the picture edit, whereas Film Scores come after the edit.

I say in most cases because there ARE examples where music has been made for the trailers. Such as some of the Batman v Superman Trailers, etc. Trailers start off in most cases open and timed to establish the image, this is slow and creates setting and mood. As the trailer continues it then becomes dependent on the audio, and syncs the audio used. Visuals are purposefully driven then by the audio like a music video and made to climax not to conclude, feeling open ended, driving you to the movie.

Two steps from Hell, Thomas Bergerson and many others are leaning away from that purpose built reasoning as they're now selling CDs and a community has now taken interest in this type of music. That's why you are hearing TSFH less in trailers because the music no longer sits with them. It's become more of a type of music, than the original purpose. So basically "Epic music" has now become a mainstream choice for listeners, ten years ago it just wasn't the case. So they've become now more about the song and album than it's original purpose. Their tracks now in some cases conclude, and arent about driving visuals bigger and bigger.

So when it comes down to it, it's about purpose built tracks, the luxury is that Two Steps From Hell, Immediate Music, Thomas Bergeson, etc have became so big that they can afford to just make music for listening purchase, rather than for trailer purposing.

BBS Signature