00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

WannabePyx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What to do next?

538 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What to do next? 2016-02-29 20:48:37

I ask this question alot, I just never know what to practice next, or learn next, without some kind of structured course.

I do character design practice, line practice, sometimes background practice.
but I never know what to do the next day.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Response to What to do next? 2016-02-29 21:06:41

At 2/29/16 08:48 PM, doinurmop1234 wrote: I ask this question alot, I just never know what to practice next, or learn next, without some kind of structured course.

You fix this by having a clear idea of what your ultimate end goal is and working towards it. A lot of people have a certain artist in mind that they admire a lot and wouldn't mind being more like them. Do you want to be an animator? An Illustrator? A concept artist? Are there any people you admire and want to be like? What do they do? Don't know? Ask them! You would be surprised how approachable professionals are.

For me theres people right here that i admire and want to be more like, for example Cairos! I know what i need to do to be more like Cairos, such as studying gesture and anatomy and working with a thinner line! Try working with your end goal in mind and you might find it a lot easier to keep going compare your work to the person you admire and do what you need to do to get there!

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-01 04:12:46

At 2/29/16 09:06 PM, Template88 wrote:
At 2/29/16 08:48 PM, doinurmop1234 wrote: I ask this question alot, I just never know what to practice next, or learn next, without some kind of structured course.
You fix this by having a clear idea of what your ultimate end goal is and working towards it. A lot of people have a certain artist in mind that they admire a lot and wouldn't mind being more like them. Do you want to be an animator? An Illustrator? A concept artist? Are there any people you admire and want to be like? What do they do? Don't know? Ask them! You would be surprised how approachable professionals are.

For me theres people right here that i admire and want to be more like, for example Cairos! I know what i need to do to be more like Cairos, such as studying gesture and anatomy and working with a thinner line! Try working with your end goal in mind and you might find it a lot easier to keep going compare your work to the person you admire and do what you need to do to get there!

That's quite interesting, I never really thought of doing it that way. I'll have to decide what artist I want to be like, It's been so long, that I've forgotten the names of the ones I used to looked at quite often

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-01 06:44:48

yeah i recommend what they said and drawing from life, anatomy, perspective, the basics you know. if you cant think of anything do the basics. or just start drawing lines and stuff and make something out of them. experiment with composition . all kinds of things to be done, so little time

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-01 07:58:19

At 3/1/16 06:44 AM, tkgmalice wrote:

yeah i recommend what they said and drawing from life, anatomy, perspective, the basics you know. if you cant think of anything do the basics. or just start drawing lines and stuff and make something out of them. experiment with composition . all kinds of things to be done, so little time

I've held off, of practising anatomy, I know it's mandatory, but anatomy just seems a bit hard and boring to study, but I know, that If I ever ask the question of what to do next, I'll look at good artwork, and then see what I need to improve upon to draw something that good

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-01 13:36:05

Try to get a hold of this book if you can:

How to Draw: Drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15808089-how-to-draw

It's one of a few books I use in my own drawing studies. If you are like me who rarely draws from life, if not at all, then this is the book for you.

For Anatomy, I would recommend Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing - Design and Construction. It approaches anatomy and figures the same way as the other book, thru a more constructive and technical approach.

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-01 15:03:05

At 3/1/16 01:36 PM, Kanade-Chizuru wrote: Try to get a hold of this book if you can:

yeah i have seen that first book to , its a good one

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-01 17:55:33

At 3/1/16 01:36 PM, Kanade-Chizuru wrote: Try to get a hold of this book if you can:

How to Draw: Drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination

It's one of a few books I use in my own drawing studies. If you are like me who rarely draws from life, if not at all, then this is the book for you.

For Anatomy, I would recommend Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing - Design and Construction. It approaches anatomy and figures the same way as the other book, thru a more constructive and technical approach.

I never draw from life, being strictly digital and all.
I'll have to give them both a look,though my friend provided me with all loomis books, and some anatomy book by stephen rogers.

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-02 22:23:51

At 3/1/16 05:55 PM, doinurmop1234 wrote: I never draw from life, being strictly digital and all.

Drawing from life isn't exclusive to traditional art, set up some objects around your house under a strong light source and draw that digitally, or you could always draw from photographs, a bit less effective in some cases but you're still working on the same skill set. The point people make when they say to draw from life is that you should draw everyday objects in a real world setting so you can work on looking at and drawing objects objectively - as they are, rather than from your head - as you think they are.
Also if you really don't know what to draw, the perfect thing to draw is whatever is in front of you, because it's simple, there's no attachment, no desire to make it perfect through any obligations or emotional significance; it's just there.

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-03 04:09:34

At 3/2/16 10:23 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: Drawing from life isn't exclusive to traditional art, set up some objects around your house under a strong light source and draw that digitally, or you could always draw from photographs, a bit less effective in some cases but you're still working on the same skill set. The point people make when they say to draw from life is that you should draw everyday objects in a real world setting so you can work on looking at and drawing objects objectively - as they are, rather than from your head - as you think they are.
Also if you really don't know what to draw, the perfect thing to draw is whatever is in front of you, because it's simple, there's no attachment, no desire to make it perfect through any obligations or emotional significance; it's just there.

Actually, I did something I never expected I would do, yesterday.
I laid down on my bed, got my sketchpad out that I haven't touched in like a year, and starting sketching my garden, it was honestly quite fun, and a bit of a change of pace from digital

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-11 06:45:45

Really just fucking wing it. Draw the shit you see around you or dreams you had. That's all I can offer, but hopefully it helps.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-12 11:58:24

Composition is worth studying. Making narrative pieces is also a rewarding challenge. Narrative meaning, a picture of characters doing things, instead of a picture of a character just winking at the camera.

Response to What to do next? 2016-03-12 15:58:38

Just draw random stuff. Literally anything, like draw a cactus with a sword and the face of a cat. That'll get your creativity going and get you to do something mesmerizing. I Hope this helped :)