00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique me!

443 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique me! 2016-02-27 02:46:58

Hello artists!
I've been working towards the art portal by learning from community criticism. I'd like to know what you guys think about my stuff! What could be improved, or what works well! Recently I've been working on blending art into real life environments. That's what my latest piece was about. http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/karsys/lonely-town-2

Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Critique me! 2016-02-27 10:13:06

At 2/27/16 02:46 AM, Karsys wrote: Hello artists!
I've been working towards the art portal by learning from community criticism. I'd like to know what you guys think about my stuff! What could be improved, or what works well! Recently I've been working on blending art into real life environments. That's what my latest piece was about. http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/karsys/lonely-town-2

Thank you!

It's a good job. The colors of the added characters match the mood and lighting of the scene very well. One weird spot is on the fellow on the sidewalk. It looks like there's a water drop on the camera and it looks like the character isn't reacting to the change in color as strongly as the area around him.

I'm also not sure if the two characters are following the same rules of perspective either. The guy in the back looks a little too tall. It doesn't matter that much, but for peak realism down the road, there are mathematical equations that will tell you how small something should appear at a given distance. As a cartoonist, I've always been content to eyeball these things, so I can't promise that any way is the right way to do this, but I think since you have a conveniently placed sidewalk there, you can calculate how much each sidewalk panel "shrinks" as they go off into the vanishing point and apply the same ratio of scale to guy in the background.

Response to Critique me! 2016-02-27 10:15:16

At 2/27/16 10:13 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
I'm also not sure if the two characters are following the same rules of perspective either. The guy in the back looks a little too tall. It doesn't matter that much, but for peak realism down the road, there are mathematical equations that will tell you how small something should appear at a given distance. As a cartoonist, I've always been content to eyeball these things, so I can't promise that any way is the right way to do this, but I think since you have a conveniently placed sidewalk there, you can calculate how much each sidewalk panel "shrinks" as they go off into the vanishing point and apply the same ratio of scale to guy in the background.

Then I thought I'd check and measure them myself, and they do have the same ratio as the sidewalk. I guess it just looks weird because they are stick figures.

Response to Critique me! 2016-02-27 11:25:00

Thank you for the feedback!
That rain spot on the camera was a bit of a challenge, and I do agree that it looks like the character is above it a little. I'm only now realizing what I could have done about that. Whoops!

And as for perspective, I usually just eyeball it, too. If it feels and looks right to me, I just keep it. But I will be more careful and aware of that next time.
Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Critique me! 2016-02-27 18:50:45

I like it a lot. The colors are very well balanced, and properly illustrate the mood. I like the sense of realism as well.

BBS Signature