00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Krinkels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Question about Banjo Kazooie music

2,628 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Im wondering what the status of this music is nowadays in terms of using it in a monetized video for an animation.
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nxFYoGNJKc

I got the mp3 files here like ages ago:

http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/banjo-kazooie-complete
Filename is: 025-level-2-treasure-trove-cove.mp3

The problem: My stuff is finally getting some traffic going (finally) into my Youtube stuff, and after busting my ass for ages learning how to animate, I get some people claiming copyright on all of my videos, they don't even give details about what part of the video they supposedly own rights for, the notice just says "audiovisual content, detected manually" which looks like bullshit.

Me and a bunch of people have used this song everywhere in monetized videos without problems, so I don't think it has anything to do with it, in fact, im pretty certain the guys are scammers that want to steal my ad revenue because my videos started trending lately, getting hundred thousands of views. Im sure they are one of those dodgy companies that are basically professional cunts, usually located somewhere random. I have already invalidated 3 of their disputes, but they've decided to not remove a claim on one of my videos, possibly to try to test my nerve and scare me away from appealing a rejected dispute, but they are wrong, im going to f*ck them up since I know they own nothing off my video, but for this I need to make a perfect dispute, which includes including license of all the (copyright-free) music I've used, so im asking you guys where can I get a formal License for this song which proves I can use it, im talking about something like this:

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/licenses/

Here you can click any tracks and it gets you this:

"8bit Dungeon Boss" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

So that's what you would send in case some idiot tries to claim copyright over your content if your content included "Kevin MacLeod - 8bit Dungeon Boss"

I know he released the entire OST for free: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2ien2t/grant_kirkhope_recently_released_the_entire/

And I have a bunch of Youtuber friends that have used that song on monetized videos, and never they have gotten any copyright claims over that song, not by Grant, not by Rare or someone relevant, so certainly this "no name agency" has nothing to do with it, but I still want to be as precise as possible on my dispute, so that's why im asking, where to get an official permission where it shows you can use this song for monetized content.

I have even asked Grant, and he said he has no idea about any of this, that Microsoft owns everything he did when he was at Rare and he is afraid he hasn't got a say.
Well, Microsoft has never sent a copyright infringement notice to anyone ever because of using that music on their videos as far as I know, so im confused: What's the current status for that song then?

Im sorry if this is a bit weird to post here but I don't really know where to go to ask this, but just let me know if there is a website or something that I can use as a link to send on my dispute. This is the amazing world of "making it" in Youtube (and by making it I mean like 40 dollars a month which is what my Adsense is showing), you get a bunch of views and subs but you get random bastards trying to ruin your day, waste your time and steal your money.

Thanks

Response to Question about Banjo Kazooie music 2016-02-11 19:59:56

At 2/10/16 11:25 PM, KirbyOnADiet wrote: Im wondering what the status of this music is nowadays in terms of using it in a monetized video for an animation.

The simple way to check is to make a video and upload it, you don't need to make the video public or even publish it. Wait for it to be fully uploaded and then check your video manager where it lists all your videos with the views and comments and thumbs up / down on it. If anything contains copyrighted music which would be found via an automated system (usually the thing that takes monetisation) then it will be found automatically soon after uploading the whole video.

That way you can upload the music you want, see how it reacts and if it shows any copyright claims on it then you know it will have uncontrolled adverts on it. If it doesn't then you should be safe to use the music.

I would still look into using either public domain music or make stuff yourself though.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Question about Banjo Kazooie music 2016-02-19 11:23:52

Since Rare owns the copyright to the OST of Banjo, it's technically only theirs to make money on. There are definitely fake companies trying to claim what isn't theirs and that can be refuted. Whether or not Rare chooses to claim your videos is up to them.

Cartoonist, Animator, and Tweeter

BBS Signature

Response to Question about Banjo Kazooie music 2016-02-21 02:05:56

At 2/19/16 11:23 AM, XSigmaShawnX wrote: Since Rare owns the copyright to the OST of Banjo, it's technically only theirs to make money on. There are definitely fake companies trying to claim what isn't theirs and that can be refuted. Whether or not Rare chooses to claim your videos is up to them.

Basically what this guy said, although your post isn't very clear. Rare owns the music in the Banjo games (maybe Microsoft I'm not sure) and if they decide they want adsense money from your use of it they get to.

BBS Signature