00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Twinspurr just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for feedback on my 1st game

509 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've been working on this simple arcade webgame for a while,
and I think it's time to ask some strangers to test it in order to see whether it's any fun for actual players.

What I'm especially looking for feedback on:
-Was the game fun for you?
-What would you say were the best and worst aspects of the game?
-What are some things you'd change or features you'd add?

The graphics are not intended to be final,
so I'm mainly looking for feedback on the gameplay.

Here's the link: Asteroid Miner

Thanks to anybody taking the time to read this, test the game, and post some feedback!

Response to Looking for feedback on my 1st game 2016-02-10 18:33:25

At 2/10/16 04:56 PM, SandshoreDev wrote: What I'm especially looking for feedback on:

It was fun at first trying to master the controls but once that was done the game became kind of dull after awhile do to it's repetitiveness.

-What would you say were the best and worst aspects of the game? What are some things you'd change or features you'd add?

I really enjoy the music. Thrusters in space work the opposite of what you have - if you thrust on the left side you would move towards the right, but doing it this way could possibly make it too challenging for the player. I couldn't figure out how to mine the meteors. I had to go back and read the instructions again and it was only because of the example picture did I realize you had to be facing towards them. While it seems obvious now it is something you should be aware in case other players can't figure it out and give up on the game early (maybe change the description a bit?). I'm sure the game will undergo more balancing but currently I feel mining the meteors takes too long; especially, given you have so much to dodge while trying to do it. You could either shorten the time to mine the meteor or very gradually give the user credits as they are mining it (maybe give them a bonus if they manage to mine it completely).

Response to Looking for feedback on my 1st game 2016-02-10 18:58:39

At 2/10/16 06:33 PM, HeroPower wrote:
At 2/10/16 04:56 PM, SandshoreDev wrote: What I'm especially looking for feedback on:
It was fun at first trying to master the controls but once that was done the game became kind of dull after awhile do to it's repetitiveness.
-What would you say were the best and worst aspects of the game? What are some things you'd change or features you'd add?
I really enjoy the music. Thrusters in space work the opposite of what you have - if you thrust on the left side you would move towards the right, but doing it this way could possibly make it too challenging for the player. I couldn't figure out how to mine the meteors. I had to go back and read the instructions again and it was only because of the example picture did I realize you had to be facing towards them. While it seems obvious now it is something you should be aware in case other players can't figure it out and give up on the game early (maybe change the description a bit?). I'm sure the game will undergo more balancing but currently I feel mining the meteors takes too long; especially, given you have so much to dodge while trying to do it. You could either shorten the time to mine the meteor or very gradually give the user credits as they are mining it (maybe give them a bonus if they manage to mine it completely).

Thanks for the feedback!
I did suspect that the game becomes repetitive pretty quick, guess that's the game's biggest shortcoming so far.
Totally didn't see how having to face the asteroids to mine them was easily overlookable, but I see that it makes perfect sense. As for the mining speed, currently it can be increased with upgrades. Did you get to the upgrade menu (can be accessed by pressing 'space' while in the main game)?

Response to Looking for feedback on my 1st game 2016-02-11 00:16:03

At 2/10/16 06:58 PM, SandshoreDev wrote: Did you get to the upgrade menu (can be accessed by pressing 'space' while in the main game)?

I did see the upgrade menu. The problem is that it is currently too challenging early on to collect 10 resources to upgrade anything. The game would feel like 'work' before the player managed to raise 10 credits and you also can't bank on the idea that the player is going to use those credits right away on reducing the 'mining' time (which is definitely needed right now with how long it takes to mine a single asteroid).

Response to Looking for feedback on my 1st game 2016-02-11 04:50:54

At 2/11/16 12:16 AM, HeroPower wrote: I did see the upgrade menu. The problem is that it is currently too challenging early on to collect 10 resources to upgrade anything. The game would feel like 'work' before the player managed to raise 10 credits and you also can't bank on the idea that the player is going to use those credits right away on reducing the 'mining' time (which is definitely needed right now with how long it takes to mine a single asteroid).

Thanks for the clarification, I see how making the base mining speed faster is definitely a good idea.

Response to Looking for feedback on my 1st game 2016-02-11 22:55:27

* Ow, sound is too loud. My personal preference, but as a headphone user I went partially deaf.
* No options menu? Why? :(
* No way to change controls.
* button SFX is too loud and too long. Also each button hover stops the other sounds playing, but that's a nitpick I suppose.
* Music track is too short and damn repetitive.
* My arrow keys are going to die long before any of my other keyboard keys, the rate I keep playing flash games. What is your people's affinity to arrow keys? They're awkward as fuck. At least let me re-bind them. WASD, QE, and Space would be a MUCH better default.
* Music track IS nice. Still repetitive.
* UI animations are alright for a flash game, but they can be made better (bouncy or on a curve) with a little TweenLite magic.
* (I think) I noticed a little bump (down) in volume when the game is paused. If that's intentional, then good on you. Maybe make it more pronounced.
* UI/HUD looks a bit shit. Needs a graphics overhaul, especially in the font area. Buttons overlapping other elements and such as well.
* Game elements are FAR too large. There's hardly any room to move. That's where most of your frustration (not challenge) is coming from.
* It takes about 15-20 seconds to navigate and collect a single upgrade point, and you want me to do that 10 times for ONE basic upgrade? I'll pass.
* Particle effects are nice, me likey.
* Spaceship controls well. Controls need to change, though. Seriously. WASD, QE, and Space. Then you free up the other hand for mouse controls which you can get fancy with.
* What's the goal? What am I accomplishing, here? I'm collecting upgrades to, what, get more upgrades? You CAN get away with a mechanic like that (in fact those are some of my favorite bathroom games) but you need to make it more fun. Take a look at what Cookie Clicker does right and see what you can't grab from them. Lots of fun achievements and secret puzzles and mini-games helps.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for feedback on my 1st game 2016-02-12 07:57:02

At 2/11/16 10:55 PM, egg82 wrote: * Ow, sound is too loud. My personal preference, but as a headphone user I went partially deaf.
* No options menu? Why? :(
* No way to change controls.
* button SFX is too loud and too long. Also each button hover stops the other sounds playing, but that's a nitpick I suppose.
* Music track is too short and damn repetitive.
* My arrow keys are going to die long before any of my other keyboard keys, the rate I keep playing flash games. What is your people's affinity to arrow keys? They're awkward as fuck. At least let me re-bind them. WASD, QE, and Space would be a MUCH better default.
* Music track IS nice. Still repetitive.
* UI animations are alright for a flash game, but they can be made better (bouncy or on a curve) with a little TweenLite magic.
* (I think) I noticed a little bump (down) in volume when the game is paused. If that's intentional, then good on you. Maybe make it more pronounced.
* UI/HUD looks a bit shit. Needs a graphics overhaul, especially in the font area. Buttons overlapping other elements and such as well.
* Game elements are FAR too large. There's hardly any room to move. That's where most of your frustration (not challenge) is coming from.
* It takes about 15-20 seconds to navigate and collect a single upgrade point, and you want me to do that 10 times for ONE basic upgrade? I'll pass.
* Particle effects are nice, me likey.
* Spaceship controls well. Controls need to change, though. Seriously. WASD, QE, and Space. Then you free up the other hand for mouse controls which you can get fancy with.
* What's the goal? What am I accomplishing, here? I'm collecting upgrades to, what, get more upgrades? You CAN get away with a mechanic like that (in fact those are some of my favorite bathroom games) but you need to make it more fun. Take a look at what Cookie Clicker does right and see what you can't grab from them. Lots of fun achievements and secret puzzles and mini-games helps.

Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry about the maxed out volume, for now I've changed the master level to 50% and brought down the button loudness.
An option menu and key-remapping ability definitely sound like useful features to add,
I didn't even consider a key re-mapping option so far...
Especially liking the mouse controls incorporation idea.
About the UI/HUD, yeah I realize it's nothing special.
It was kinda rushed to finish the test demo quickly. Never heard about TweenLite, so I'll be checking it out.

As for the design points, like game elements being too big, little sense of accomplishment for the
effort it takes out to grind upgrades, and no clear goals, I'll be taking it into consideration.
I've come to realize that the initial design of the game wasn't very thought through,
so I'll try to come up with a better design, taking the above into consideration.

Looking to Cookie Clicker for inspiration sounds like a good idea, totally forgot about that game.