00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rock Music is Satanic

2,090 Views | 22 Replies

Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-08 21:57:39

Remember that time when loads of parents in the South thought that rock and heavy metal contributed to the unruliness of teenagers? Golly, it's like they thought teens were never rebellious before the 70's! Nowadays, they seem to be the genres of patriots and lovers of freedom. Ain't that something!

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-08 22:10:59

Well then what is dubstep?

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-08 22:24:11

At 2/8/16 10:10 PM, NEOSLAYRE wrote: Well then what is dubstep?

That is a fair question, NEOSLAYRE! Dubstep is a fusion between dub and 2-step, and is typically characterized as having syncopated drum beats along with rather powerful sub bass lines and aggressive mid-range frequencies from modular synthesizers. It has its roots in the UK from back in the very early 2000's and draws from an assortment of other genre styles including reggae, drum and bass, and heavy metal.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-08 22:38:41

I think it depends on the message the song sends, and if that person chooses to actually follow it...

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-08 22:42:59

At 2/8/16 10:38 PM, Th-e wrote: I think it depends on the message the song sends, and if that person chooses to actually follow it...

If you play songs by The Beatles backwards, they're instructions on how to summon the antichrist.

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 00:16:39

No, this music is Satanic. Or I suppose technically Luciferian, for those who consider the two to differ, and for whom that difference is important.

Rock music, metal, or really just about any genre of music can be about any subject matter.

But ultimately it is a means of free expression and you can think of it as fiction, just like movies if you like. And as with any fiction there will always be people who take things way too seriously. See the fan following of the Bible for example.

Seriously though I don't mind people having a belief. It's all a matter of how far they take things. Absolutely not a fan of hardcore evangelical types.

I was tempted to say musicians don't intend for their fans to perform violent actions perhaps present in their music, and for most musicians I believe this to be true, but then I'm reminded of, for example, Burzum. So yeah I'm just going to have to say I believe it uncommon.

Think of it like this. You watch a horror movie. You don't then go out and chainsaw massacre your neighborhood do you? Well I would certainly hope not. Because most people can tell if something is a fiction.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 02:29:42

Well, there's Highway To Hell...

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 02:37:28

Good thing I listen to Death Metal then!

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 02:46:01

At 2/9/16 01:33 AM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: TL;DR Anyway, I am tired of this strawman. Was some rock Satanic back during the hay day? Yes. Was all of it Satanic? No. Did this still color most of the country's perception? Yes.

And my point is *any* music genre can be about *any* subject. Hell, I posted an actual Satanic song (or Luciferian if the technicality makes a difference) and that wasn't rock at all. In fact I'm not too sure what genre I'd place that in. Synthpop maybe? But it featured mostly beautiful female vocals. Would most people think of beautiful female vocals as being Satanic? Or would they go with the common stereotype of death growls and shrieks?

For that matter, there exists Christian metal.

Sure, some genres better lend themselves to certain topics than others, but really it's all up to the artists.

Now let me say I can respect someone having religious beliefs provided they respect the religious beliefs or lack thereof of others. I take issue with the heavy evangelicals only because they do not respect this.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 08:37:20

It's just satans work finally coming into play. The rise of dubstep could be his plan all along!?
Or maybe it's just not the kind of story that will get sensationalized with everything going on these days..

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 08:44:06

At 2/9/16 02:55 AM, Neoncrotch wrote: I hoped you learned a little something NEOSLAYRE. It's a great year to be caught up in pop culture. Now go out there and tell your friends about dubstep.

I tried telling them, but they were too busy with their waifus.

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 09:44:07

At 2/8/16 09:57 PM, FinaLee wrote: in the South

Acting like it was just the south. Wow, dumb little shit.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 10:08:16

and so is pop music

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 12:12:28

Ugh, fuck them Heavy Metal is the badassest music genre.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 22:19:54

Dubstep more like SLUTstep amirite

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-09 22:21:12

At 2/9/16 10:19 PM, CiviLies wrote:
Dubstep more like SLUTstep amirite

Ayy

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 01:31:23

Rock isn't Satanic, but what is Satanic is that asshole who always buys the last Iced Tea at the convenience store around the corner, even if I walk fast enough that I travel back in time and arrive before the store even opened.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 13:39:00

At 2/10/16 01:31 AM, Suprememessage wrote: Rock isn't Satanic

Of course it is, that's why it's awesome.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 13:41:01

At 2/10/16 01:39 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 2/10/16 01:31 AM, Suprememessage wrote: Rock isn't Satanic
Of course it is, that's why it's awesome.

That's metal.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 14:13:37

There is no such thing as "satanic music" just the theme of the track from the artist.

Music is just random noise clumped together, include vocals and there you have your theme.

=3

If you are not playing the game, then you are letting the game play you. Twitter: @Hypnotikid

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 15:29:05

At 2/8/16 09:57 PM, FinaLee wrote: Nowadays, they seem to be the genres of patriots and lovers of freedom. Ain't that something!

No, that's country music.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 18:15:15

You forgot about gangsta rap. They did/do not like that.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Music is Satanic 2016-02-10 22:57:21

My Grandpa's church used to have a revolving shelf full of anti rock-and-roll pamphlets, and I wish I could find pictures of them. One had a headphone-wearing teen being beheaded by a guillotine with a CD for a blade, and another had a rock musician playing on stage with strings attached to him being manipulated by a huge Satanic-looking hand overhead.

I was like 7 when I found those and I thought they were p cool

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature