00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of January 2016!

19,492 Views | 56 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 12:17:44

At 2/8/16 03:44 PM, Amaranthus wrote: FAK U THEGREYHOUND!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna give you a nick name. 20. for 20by20 resolution!!!!

Best of January 2016!

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 12:31:18

At 2/8/16 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Thanks for keeping NG going as always Tom, I'll be supporting every year going forward as long as you're here.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 13:25:08

At 2/9/16 12:31 PM, MinatoArisato wrote:
Thanks for keeping NG going as always Tom, I'll be supporting every year going forward as long as you're here.

Thanks! That is much appreciated!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 13:28:33

At 2/8/16 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: Remember that downtime we had last week on Tuesday morning? We kept it secret at the time but we were actually moving NG to our new hosting facility!

The transition went flawlessly thanks to months of planning by @BrenTheMan, everyone please give him a hand.

Congrats @BrenTheMan !

I don't know if you noticed but as far as we can tell NG is running better than ever! Supporters will have the best experience of all because NG isn't trying to call any third party ad or analytics code when their pages load. Have you noticed a difference this week?

A difference in load time? For a page, not really. For a video? Maybe a little bit of improvement, I'm watching my Ghostbusters parody load in the MP4 format and it seems to be loading a small fuckton more quickly than usual. I take it this change is more effective for Verizon users than it is for a Comcast user?

This is a good time to become a supporter because through February we are carrying the costs of both hosting facilities while we finish out our previous hosting contracts.
You can make a difference! If you like NG more than 1-2 sodas / coffees / beers a month, trade in those drinks and be part of something really special.

Even better; when you're done drinking down your cans of booze, you can collect them up and dump them off at one of those aluminum can recycling machines they keep outdoors & use the money it spits back out at you to become a supporter.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Effective March, we will discontinue the $100 per month prize for voter of the month. There will be a final winner from people who voted in February but that will be it for the immediate future.

That must be the reason why the Flash portal isn't the usual single shade of purple it usually is; there's a run on the bank. At least it isn't because the voting bar was set even lower than now. I'm also glad I already got mine years ago since this is no longer going to be a thing. I feel legit sorry for the people who will never get it.

I can't emphasize enough how important the Supporter Upgrade is to the future of Newgrounds. We had an exciting rally in January that covered a portion of our hosting transition but we need that much and more on a monthly basis to cover all the expenses not covered by traditional ads.

Do you regret not doing this way earlier in say, 2004 when you were first contemplating using ads to support the site?

Newgrounds has been extremely fortunate to make it 20+ years without outside investment but the web isn't the same place it was even just five years ago and our revenue model has to change with it. This isn't something to be sad about; it's actually something to be extremely optimistic about because relying on ads ALWAYS sucked.

He said as he pulled on the collar of his shirt.

Speaking of which, since this crowd funding shit is paying for ground-level expenses, do you see a chance for the return of the NG store?

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 13:33:53

At 2/9/16 01:28 PM, Psychopath wrote: Do you regret not doing this way earlier in say, 2004 when you were first contemplating using ads to support the site?

Ads did a good enough job supporting the site back then so it was worth it vs asking people for money.

Speaking of which, since this crowd funding shit is paying for ground-level expenses, do you see a chance for the return of the NG store?

Will likely sell shirts via a third party. No plans to bring back the store as we had it before.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 13:47:54 (edited 2016-02-09 13:49:19)

Tom is the portal broken? There are submissions under judgement for more than a week with 500+ views. That's very unusual, if they really don't have enough votes to pass / be blammed by now. Or maybe votes are not counted properly by some mistake?

EDIT:

Sorry seems like it has been resolved. All the 100+ submissions I saw there are now out of judgement.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 14:45:27

At 2/9/16 02:33 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 2/9/16 12:17 PM, TheGreyhound wrote:
At 2/8/16 03:44 PM, Amaranthus wrote: FAK U THEGREYHOUND!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna give you a nick name. 20. for 20by20 resolution!!!!
Yet another new account that does nothing but respond to me.
Man, try not to be so obvious next time.

well what else am i do do

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 16:20:19

Congrats to all the winners, pleased to see some of my picks make the cut! Hats off to @BrenTheMan the site feels so slick now. @TomFulp a voter of the month trophy would be really cool to replace the cash prize.

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 16:37:49

Is there a way to import in the monthly goal meter to the Wall of Honor page? I feel like itd motivate people to see how much their contributions is helping towards the goal. Feel like that page could get more for the buck if the connection between wall of honor and helping hitting the goal was more apparent.

Also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 17:05:01 (edited 2016-02-09 17:24:47)

At 2/9/16 04:37 PM, Luis wrote: Is there a way to import in the monthly goal meter to the Wall of Honor page?

Yeah, where would you put it? Below the bots?

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-09 20:46:30

Much obliged!
I wonder what the odds of this were.

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 10:46:50

Congrats to the winners!

And nice work @BrenTheMan, though I wonder: do the now missing product images have anything to do with the move (as seen below)?

As for the soon-to-be deprecated voter of the month thing, how about keeping the award even without prize money, if money is the big issue; not the time it takes to randomize that name? Shirt, Trophy - even just a mention in these posts would be sufficient reward IMO, it's a fun feature. Been hoping to see my name there some day for the past decade now...

Best of January 2016!

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 11:42:16

At 2/10/16 10:46 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Congrats to the winners!

And nice work @BrenTheMan, though I wonder: do the now missing product images have anything to do with the move (as seen below)?

That should be fixed now.

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 11:59:06

At 2/9/16 05:05 PM, liljim wrote:
At 2/9/16 04:37 PM, Luis wrote: Is there a way to import in the monthly goal meter to the Wall of Honor page?
Yeah, where would you put it? Below the bots?

Could do something like this so the information is all related to each other.

Best of January 2016!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 13:42:34

ANNOUNCEMENT: Effective March, we will discontinue the $100 per month prize for voter of the month. There will be a final winner from people who voted in February but that will be it for the immediate future.

Bummer. Always dreamed of winning that cash one day. Totally understand why you're ending it, though.

Also, congrats to the winners!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 14:02:36

At 2/10/16 11:42 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: That should be fixed now.

Nice, thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 20:41:28

At 2/8/16 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: That's my sales pitch and I'm gonna keep doing those because it's important.

My body is ready. My wallet...needs that tax refund to come sooner!

Here is your Best of January, determined by the monthly voting pool!

w00t!!

Sad to see it go but I would love to see more prize money for contributors even if that means scaling back a random award for voters.

Newgrounds has been extremely fortunate to make it 20+ years without outside investment but the web isn't the same place it was even just five years ago and our revenue model has to change with it. This isn't something to be sad about; it's actually something to be extremely optimistic about because relying on ads ALWAYS sucked. Please join us on the journey to create the best-ever NG!

It would be really neat to see some initiatives to bring animators back from youtube. Many of them complain on twitter about recent youtube changes but there really isn't a compelling reason to leave yet. I would love to see Newgrounds as some sort of animation oriented youtube where I can share links on social media and have them play in-feed just like youtube. I want there to be incentive for people to view content here instead of there or elsewhere. You can do it Tom! NG used to be this indie outlet of teenagers just messing around, but it can be a real powerhouse in supporting and cultivating emerging artists. Just because somebody drops off the internet doesn't mean they've sold out - maybe it means they found a job in TV/Movies. That should be lauded, not derided.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-10 21:18:42

At 2/10/16 08:41 PM, Malachy wrote: NG used to be this indie outlet of teenagers just messing around

I thought it still was. Maybe everyone's just 20-something now?

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-11 11:15:43

I guess I didn't watch enough stuff this month! Hardly any of what I voted for made it up top.

Best of January 2016!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-12 07:45:52

Ill just leave this here..

So I still get requests to do music videos n such. (most of them for free)
And to take those I usually have to prerequisites:
1) I have to feel the song..( the music creates imagery on its own)
2) its a newgrounds exclusive.

No doubt ease of navigating the site, and prize pools is important for artist loyalty and fresh talent. Though what all artists really want is exposure. Would even new arrivals for the contests voluntarily submit more works to this site without prizes if the audience isnt there?

Gotta cater to the non-Fans... Gotta make embedding videos/music into facebook/twitter etc, an option for the media hunters who want the glory of finding something new, but have no intention sharing their findings with their followers.

Best of January 2016!

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-12 09:01:36

At 2/12/16 07:45 AM, MindChamber wrote: Ill just leave this here..

What frustrates me about that message is they Tweeted and did ongoing plugs for the Vimeo version when the video was released, while never linking to Newgrounds. We gave them one-tenth the traffic without them having to send any fans our way. If they had promoted the Newgrounds video at launch and not mentioned Vimeo, I wonder what would have happened?

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-12 09:30:20

At 2/8/16 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: I don't know if you noticed but as far as we can tell NG is running better than ever! Supporters will have the best experience of all because NG isn't trying to call any third party ad or analytics code when their pages load. Have you noticed a difference this week?

The desktop experience is pretty much flawless and faster than I've ever seen it.
Sadly enough a smartphone it still takes decades to load all the images and the site itself (Even with a decent phone!). I know this is is on the to do list, but I suggest you put that in your top priorities. A fast connection is nothing if it is not properly optimized.
Contact the guys at the programming forum, maybe they can make you an app.

<3 Love you guys!

At 2/8/16 08:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/8/16 07:41 PM, chris-the-stick2 wrote: and trust me, even if ''the voter of the month'' award will have less cash on its reward, people will still want/compete to win this award for 5 dollars and for the prestige points...
(i have been trying to win ''voter of the month'' for the last 6 years, so that means something..(despite me failing to win) )
That's a good point... Another possibility could be to send a shirt to a winner each month, if we ever get the shirts back up and running with a third party. And a voter of the month trophy would be charming.

Honestly, merch sounds more motivating for me to vote than money! I've never been financially oriented and I still don't have a shirt (my size was always sold out...).

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-12 09:51:41

Hi!! I want know, that features needed to write this list? Best number of votes, so much "likes", etc?... :)

I'm a VG and electronic music composer. I can make music/soundtracks for your games,

if you wish to contact me, please message me at keypat.reborn03@gmail.com

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-02-12 23:01:49

Everything looks and loads great @BrenTheMan and @TomFulp!

In other news, I've noticed the "February Hate Train" isn't quite rolling this year, so I'm appointing myself the new conductor! Fuck February!

Choo choo!

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-03-01 14:00:06

At 2/12/16 09:51 AM, Keypat wrote: Hi!! I want know, that features needed to write this list? Best number of votes, so much "likes", etc?... :)

Every month, the most active users of NG get an invite to select their favorite submissions, and this is the result of those votes. The voter of the month is selected at random.

Hope that answers your wonder?

BBS Signature

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-03-01 20:29:33

Yeah! @Cyberdevil I understand perfectly!!!!! Thanks...

I'm a VG and electronic music composer. I can make music/soundtracks for your games,

if you wish to contact me, please message me at keypat.reborn03@gmail.com

Response to Best of January 2016! 2016-03-02 03:28:58

At 3/1/16 08:29 PM, Keypat wrote: Yeah! @Cyberdevil I understand perfectly!!!!! Thanks...

Good to hear. :)

BBS Signature