00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wold you buy this?

499 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wold you buy this? 2016-02-01 17:57:32

I'm working my way to do commissions and I want some feed back. Like you you pay money for this and if yes how much.

Wold you buy this?

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-01 17:58:05

More

Wold you buy this?

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-01 17:58:55

More

Wold you buy this?

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-01 18:29:09 (edited 2016-02-01 18:34:49)

I would pay for this, IF it had more detail and looked a bit more lifelike. Not necessarily 'realistic', if you get what I mean. Let me explain:

The second drawing is the best example I can pick for this one. The arm reaching out to the scared girl is currently a paper cut vaguely resembling a hand. However, if you really defined the hands so much so that they looked like long fingers with long fingernails, MY WORD would that be frightening. Also, there needs to be a bit more contrast between light and dark in a lot of these pieces. Colours can express emotion just as much as the subject matter of the drawing, and contrast can go a long way to depict something that is exciting, or frightening.

Your other drawings also have a general lighting problem. What I am trying to say is, of course: where is the light coming from? There doesn't seem to be one light source, and the shadows formed when the light doesn't hit, these aren't well defined. So this makes the picture a bit.... bland.

Look at what is frontpaged, and see what you like about it. Is it how it's coloured? Is it how the postures of the people are? Is it the lighting? Is it the way it's drawn (i.e. the anatomy)? Is it the perspective? The ambience? The symbolism? And from then on, improve. If you've got any questions on these, we'll be most willing to help.

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-01 18:34:47

At 2/1/16 06:29 PM, Troisnyx wrote:: Your other drawings also have a general lighting problem. What I am trying to say is, of course: where is the light coming from? There doesn't seem to be one light source, and the shadows formed when the light doesn't hit, these aren't well defined. So this makes the picture a bit.... bland.

I see what you're saying, thank you.

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-01 19:34:41

No i would not, it is pretty boring.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-02 00:26:58 (edited 2016-02-02 00:27:18)

It's not horrible, but I don't think anyone would buy it except to be nice when there are far superior choices. If you're not skilled enough yet to be a good alternative to the professionals, then the only reason someone would want it is for it to be free or extremely cheap. Why would they pay for yours when they can pay for someone better's?
Also there is nothing particularly unique about your style either. Maybe ask people you know.

Argh, kill it!

SEND HATE MAIL HERE: DaKramps@gmail.com

Pls Follow so I can feel good about myself.

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-02 02:23:38

Can't honestly say as I would, sorry to say. For one thing, I can create my own illustrations, but even if I couldn't these examples would not convince me to hire you. Have you had any courses in Graphic Design at all? That's probably the route you should take if it's something you wish to pursue professionally. I believe you have a solid basis here, and by that I mean possible diamond-in-the-rough potential, but it is as yet unrefined; lacking in the smoothness and overall aesthetic quality that commission-based artists tend to possess.

Incorporating dedicated light sources is one important step, but there's much more to work on. Try looking at different kinds of examples right here on Newgrounds and expand your own toolbox. Try new things! The whole thin, black outline thing isn't doing you any favours, to be honest. Experiment with different shapes and styles of brushes, not to mention other colours besides black for those outer strokes.

In the first image alone, there are quite a few proportion and definition issues. The girl's right foot, which would actually be closer to the viewer, is much shorter than her left, giving it an oddly stunted appearance. Even taking the asymmetrical nature of human beings into a account, the shoes would nevertheless be the same size. Her right hand is a strange fleshy blob that doesn't actually appear to be like a hand at all, and if she actually had it draped over her leg at that angle, it would be much more painful than casual. Yes, hands and fingers are indeed hard, but a good artist--especially one who is hoping to get paid--needs to know how to draw them with some level of proficiency. Perhaps the worst offender of the bunch is that straight outline on the inside of her bent leg. The human body is never without its curvature, and there would at least be a bit of downward grade where the leg meets behind the knee. Calves are smooth and rounded.

This all may seem like a harsh dose of reality, but that doesn't mean that I want you to become discouraged! What I see here is not bad art, but even a poor artist can improve over time. I believe that you possess some talent, but it needs room to grow. You need to expand your artistic horizons, and higher education is a good place to start, though certainly not the only avenue.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't expend all this time and effort typing up a thorough response if I though the art were wholly without merit. Is it good? Yes. Is it good enough to earn commissions? Maybe to a very select few, but more than likely not. Can your skills be improved? With the proper level of dedication--absolutely! But never forget that it's a highly competitive business. Ask yourself, if a client were looking at your work along with examples from one or two other illustrators, would they choose you? What about five? Ten? What makes your illustrations unique and different? Why should they throw their funds your way? Would you, if you were them?

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-02 03:04:39

At 2/1/16 05:57 PM, risebeyond wrote: I'm working my way to do commissions and I want some feed back. Like you you pay money for this and if yes how much.

From the comments, I think the lesson here is to not be in such a rush to start charging people for your art. You have a long way to go in order to be competitive in commission markets. Enjoy the journey of being an artist and do this because you enjoy it first and foremost.

Focus on your craft, use tutorials, books, and DRAW DRAW DRAW. As you get better, you might finally get to a place where you can legitimately offer commissions where someone would pay. The better you get, the more money you can potentially charge...but the clients will determine that.

Response to Wold you buy this? 2016-02-02 06:34:40

I think that if the person who's buying your art and is aware of what they're buying, then their's nothing wrong with since the buyer knows what they're paying for. Since you 2 agreed to make this art and get payed for it, there's nothing wrong with it.

But as an artist, I think it's generally better to ask yourself if you yourself will be willing to pay for your own art.
If not, then try to get better first before charging anyone.
Lastly, if you're drawing thinking to make money off of it, then I say you shouldn't really be drawing anymore. If you're not drawing out of the sake of it and because it's your passion to, then you're gonna be very disappointed cuz it won't end up what you think it will.

Drawin' and being trash. :3