00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone?

3,686 Views | 45 Replies

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-28 08:13:31

At 1/28/16 06:00 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: A taller Nien Nunb

SHOTS FIRED

I had to google who that was though

Play my epic RPG - The Awakening - and your life will change forever!

... but I'm legally obligated not to say that.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-29 18:25:43

Mask reveal is meant to show he's just a guy pretending to be a monster. The writers want you to be disappointed.

I can't help feeling that his character is basically there to echo stuff from the original trilogy, like the Death Star clone, the hunt for a skywalker, chucking people down a giant space well, etc. which lets the film down for me personally. I much prefer the stuff that is based in the Star Wars universe which doesn't seem like they're plagiarising the original Star Wars films, such as Finn or the spinny storm trooper guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-29 19:32:33

He's a great character. I love that they created a character that is unstable, prone to rage and struggling with inner demons. He's representative of specific aspects of the sith explored in the EU. There are some sith who are tacticians, manipulative and power hungry. But Kylo Ren isn't motivated, like the Emperor, by the will to control the whole universe, no, he has more personal and simpler objectives. He wants to be strong, but is obviously struggling with his own emotions and the hate he seems to have for the jedi and his family. When he killed Han Solo, it was obviously an important step in the character development. He thanked him for "helping him", and in a way that's what he did. By dying, Solo was not able to try an pull him back to the light side.

Kylo Ren is a character that is motivated by his torments and inner struggles, and it makes room for great emotive scenes, even his fighting shows rage, anger and you can feel all the weight in his lightsaber hits.

So yeah, it's a cool character with a lot of potential.

So as long as Episode VIII is not a total copy of Empire Strikes Back, he could get even more of a character development. Let's hope for the best!

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-30 02:29:27

Cool character. I like how he was very different from the Darth Vader 2.0 that I had expected.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-12 01:29:52

I liked his personality and his tantrums but I'm not a fan of his look. He'll probably do some cool stuff in the future movies but right now he doesn't beat Vader or Grievous for me.

Cartoonist, Animator, and Tweeter

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-12 04:36:19

Literally my favourite Star Wars character provided they don't make some serious missteps in the sequels. I wouldn't have taken off his mask until he's face to face with Han, though. Like meeting him physically breaks down his Sith facade. There's a lot of subtlety in that scene but it goes unnoticed because their actions aren't as thematically significant as they should be.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-12 10:56:58

I think he's a great villain. He's not supposed to be super hardened and brooding, which is the main complaint I hear against him. He's supposed to have a lot of internal struggle and self-doubt over whether or not he's doing the right thing. It's a much more interesting character than someone like Darth Maul who is literally just an evil looking guy with a cool lightsaber.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-12 11:14:47

He looks like a chess champion nerd and he got his ass kicked by a girl.
Sorry folks but Darth Vader is way better. The only good thing about Kylo Ren is his mother trucking cool costume.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-13 05:44:36

I'm not a huge fan of him myself. He looks like some Jew you went to highschool or college with.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-15 18:16:22

At 1/26/16 08:57 PM, MichaelBradleyRAS wrote: Personally I hated this character. Why did he have to take off the mask? He was so cool up until that point.

I agree, the mask is what really made his character come to life. After he took it off, it seemed as though he lost a bit of power, and became less menacing. I guess the removal of the mask was some kind of 'symbolism' expressing his vulnerability; just like the burnt up vader helmet.

Still an interesting villain concept; and I would like to know a bit more of K.Ren's back story,,but I really wanted to see more of the chrome chick trooper.

Also how in the fizznuck was there snow and trees on the Death Planet thing, unless it was something I missed ?? Seems like they changed environments instantly. Also a lack of Yoda and his words of wisdom was the only real disappointing thing missing about this movie,but there was that old orange sage.....

Overall entertaining film 9.5/10; would see again

Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone?

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-16 01:25:32

Too betamale, I honestly thought he was a guy pretending to be Rylo Ken to save Rey

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-16 01:50:51

Han activated his lightsaber in order to kill himself so Ben wouldn't tun fully to the dark side but would satisfy Snoaks challenge. Those are my thoughts.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-16 03:06:07

At 2/16/16 01:50 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Han activated his lightsaber in order to kill himself so Ben wouldn't tun fully to the dark side but would satisfy Snoaks challenge. Those are my thoughts.

To be fair, Harrison Ford and thus Han Solo would soon die of old age anyway

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-16 11:18:21

What about Kylo Stimpy?

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-16 11:47:46

Should of kept the mask on.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-02-29 02:41:51

He's whiny like his grandfather before him.

Love is not necessary, power is the only true necessity.

BBS Signature