00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone?

3,687 Views | 45 Replies

Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-24 21:42:57

I believe this character has potential, however there is a very divided line on the internet whether or not this character was a good call. What do you guys think?

Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone?

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-24 21:44:42

A dumb character from an overrated series.

Nice get though, OP.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-24 22:03:34

I think he does have a lot of potential but he isnt appealing

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-24 23:33:16

I thought he was an excellent character. He's complex and not just some lunkhead who wants to control the galaxy. There's an obvious inner struggle with him and I think that adds an important layer to his character. He certainly has potential at being an interesting character in the long run. We'll have to wait and see though. I like him so far!

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 07:55:40

Inb4 @amaranthus replies to this thread.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 08:57:50

Total shit.
What is he? A Sith apprentice? Sith lord?
And he gets beat up by a girl whom not only had zero lightsaber training, she also didn't even know the force was a thing for most of the movie? He was shot before their battle sure but he still should've been more than strong enough to beat a chick from some random desert planet.

Now Ama's gonna come here and defend his boyfriend.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 08:59:31

I like the plot twist where it turns out he is actually @Amaranthus.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 09:46:32

I am in love with him.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 14:34:40

At 1/25/16 08:57 AM, Radaketor wrote: And he gets beat up by a girl whom not only had zero lightsaber training, she also didn't even know the force was a thing for most of the movie? He was shot before their battle sure but he still should've been more than strong enough to beat a chick from some random desert planet.

I do have an issue with her sudden lightsaber skills. But he wasn't just shot, he was shot with a bowcaster, which was shown sending stormtroopers into flying backflips before.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 14:55:24

I much preferred the plot twist when we found out that Rey was Amaranthus.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 15:05:33

At 1/25/16 02:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I do have an issue with her sudden lightsaber skills.

Kyber crystals are Force-attuned so Force-sensitives have an easier time getting used to lightsabers. Plus, she already knew how to fight with a staff, and if you noticed, she was getting her ass kicked at first because she kept using moves that would have only worked with a blunt weapon like her staff and would have minimal effect with a lightsaber. She only beat him after she let the Force take over (and again, kyber crystals are naturally connected with the Force) and after Ren let his guard down to try to convert her. Also, Luke beat Vader, and his only training was a few minutes with a droid that Jedi used to train children with.

But he wasn't just shot, he was shot with a bowcaster, which was shown sending stormtroopers into flying backflips before.

Everyone knows stormtrooper armor has blaster magnets in it.

He's about as threatening as a Linkin Park song

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 18:17:14

star wars needs a antisocial psychopath villian that doesnt get emo over some bullshit

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 18:38:02

Darth Vader would kick his ass. Darth Vader has a more badass personality, more badass force power, more badass backstory and would just generally destroy that little emo shit.

Argh, kill it!

SEND HATE MAIL HERE: DaKramps@gmail.com

Pls Follow so I can feel good about myself.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-25 19:44:48

He's a Brit, now stop making SW threads mine was the best.

BBS Signature

Kylo Ren is alright, a bit immature though.
I still like Vader the most either way.
Honestly I wanted to see more Captain Phasma though.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 04:14:41

Kylo Ren is definitely not Darth Vader. Kylo Ren likes to throw a temper tantrum when things aren't going his way.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 08:11:24

At 1/25/16 03:05 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: Also, Luke beat Vader, and his only training was a few minutes with a droid that Jedi used to train children with.

Did he? The way i remember it was:

Episode IV Han and Chewie were the ones who shot Vader's TIE-fighter, Luke only managed to shoot into a hole.
Episode V he got his ass mercilessly beat by Vader and his hand cut-off after being (somewhat) trained by Yoda earlier i the movie.
Episode VI he only turned around the fight with Darth Vader at the end by cutting his father's own hand, even then he was quickly finished off by Palpatine.

Plus, there's a 3 year gap between episodes IV and V, Luke has obviously trained, either by himself or with those Jedi droids you mentioned, for that time. Even then he got his ass kicked by Vader.

I hate it when people say that Rey isn't a Mary Sue with the excuse that Luke went from zero to hero as well, difference is that Luke learned his shit at a reasonable pace (ok kinda fast considering Jedis take many many years to get decent at what they do), had his defeats and took 3 fucking movies to defeat the main villain while Rey acted as if she was already a Jedi master at the start by not allowing Kylo to read her mind, seemingly using mind-control techniques out of the blue and having exceptional fighting skills even for a Jedi.

And don't bring that bullshit about her having a staff and knowing how to use it, there's no way a desert-girl who's lived in isolation for years knows how to fight just as well as a highly trained Sith lord trained by both a Jedi and a Sith.
Those Kyber crystals you speak of are Deus Ex Machina as fuck.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 11:20:50

At 1/26/16 08:11 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 1/25/16 03:05 PM, Valjylmyr wrote:
Episode VI he only turned around the fight with Darth Vader at the end by cutting his father's own hand, even then he was quickly finished off by Palpatine.

Plus, there's a 3 year gap between episodes IV and V, Luke has obviously trained, either by himself or with those Jedi droids you mentioned, for that time. Even then he got his ass kicked by Vader.

In Episode VI he still beat Vader while his only previous combat experience was getting his ass kicked. Those droids only train you to be aware of your surroundings with the Force. They don't actually fight you. And what exactly do you mean by he only turned the fight around by cutting Vader's hand off? That was the turning around. He won by doing that.

I hate it when people say that Rey isn't a Mary Sue with the excuse that Luke went from zero to hero as well, difference is that Luke learned his shit at a reasonable pace (ok kinda fast considering Jedis take many many years to get decent at what they do), had his defeats and took 3 fucking movies to defeat the main villain while Rey acted as if she was already a Jedi master at the start by not allowing Kylo to read her mind, seemingly using mind-control techniques out of the blue and having exceptional fighting skills even for a Jedi.

I'll reiterate what someone else said: Ren was heavily injured. Bowcasters are very heavy weapons. Ren got shot in the stomach with one and still managed to hold his own against Finn (who even injured him). By the time he fought Rey, he was already holding himself together (literally, using the Force to keep his body going) from a bowcaster shot and a lightsaber jab. That takes a lot of effort. And, again, he put his guard down and tried to convert her to the dark side and that's when she started winning.

And don't bring that bullshit about her having a staff and knowing how to use it, there's no way a desert-girl who's lived in isolation for years knows how to fight just as well as a highly trained Sith lord trained by both a Jedi and a Sith.

It wasn't exactly isolation. Plenty of people were shown to live in Neema, and the fact that she knows how to fight isn't something you can deny. Are you trying to tell me that someone who learns how to use a staff for fourteen years will know absolutely nothing about using a lightsaber?

Those Kyber crystals you speak of are Deus Ex Machina as fuck.

Kyber crystals already existed in the Star Wars universe. They're not something new made up for this trilogy.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 12:06:26

At 1/26/16 11:20 AM, Valjylmyr wrote: In Episode VI he still beat Vader while his only previous combat experience was getting his ass kicked. Those droids only train you to be aware of your surroundings with the Force. They don't actually fight you. And what exactly do you mean by he only turned the fight around by cutting Vader's hand off? That was the turning around. He won by doing that.

But you can clearly see he's getting better each and every time he fights, movie by movie it shows he's evolving and gaining experience.
Not exactly what's your point with that last part, sounds like you're saying exactly the same thing i am, either you misinterpreted me or i worded it badly. What i meant was that in their VI battle they were fighting more or less toe-to-toe with eachother and the battle only turned into Luke's favor when he cut off Vader's hand.

I'll reiterate what someone else said: Ren was heavily injured. Bowcasters are very heavy weapons. Ren got shot in the stomach with one and still managed to hold his own against Finn (who even injured him). By the time he fought Rey, he was already holding himself together (literally, using the Force to keep his body going) from a bowcaster shot and a lightsaber jab. That takes a lot of effort. And, again, he put his guard down and tried to convert her to the dark side and that's when she started winning.

Honestly don't remember that fight as well as i did a couple of weeks ago, should go and watch the last battle again.
All i remember was that he got shot, fought Finn outside, then Rey stepped up and didn't land a hit on her.

It wasn't exactly isolation. Plenty of people were shown to live in Neema, and the fact that she knows how to fight isn't something you can deny. Are you trying to tell me that someone who learns how to use a staff for fourteen years will know absolutely nothing about using a lightsaber?

How many of those people do you think she trained fighting with? The movie makes it look like she's lived by herself in that ship/hut/whatever of hers for years, besides going to sell stuff for food she probably wasn't in contact with other people.
Oh no, she's good with the staff, no doubt about it, i would've rather she fought throughout the movie using it than a lightsaber and only having her use a Jedi weapon after she's been trained by Luke.
She'll know something but she shouldn't be nearly as good as a Sith lord who's been trained to specifically use a lightsaber.

Kyber crystals already existed in the Star Wars universe. They're not something new made up for this trilogy.

They're still a product of lazy writing and shouldn't be used, having the characters grow slowly but surely by winning and getting defeated is much better than getting a sudden power-up that instantly make you better at it as long as you're Force sensitive.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 17:11:52

He's a straight up bitch, he looks 30 pounds soaking wet!

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 19:52:52

Was alright until he took off the mask.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 20:13:17

I don't think he was introduced/handled very well.

His reveal was kinda like "Oh my gosh, a masked dark Jedi laying waste to a village.. What sort of unspeakable horrors must be behind that mask.." And then he takes off the mask and it's moody millenial for the rest of the movie.

Life is a party.

You are not invited.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 20:46:07

At 1/25/16 06:38 PM, Kramps wrote: Darth Vader has a more badass personality, more badass force power, more badass backstory...

I can agree with the force power, but are you sure about the part about his backstory?

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-26 20:57:06

Personally I hated this character. Why did he have to take off the mask? He was so cool up until that point.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-27 05:45:59

At 1/26/16 08:46 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote:
At 1/25/16 06:38 PM, Kramps wrote: Darth Vader has a more badass personality, more badass force power, more badass backstory...
I can agree with the force power, but are you sure about the part about his backstory?

Hmm, not sure. I've only seen the new movie, no other content involving him, so I don't know much about Kylo's backstory except that he is Han's and Leia's son. Maybe I'm missing something?
Badass is probably the wrong word here. I just think it was some good character development. Yeah, the movies weren't great, but the story itself of how he came to the dark side I thought was pretty good.

Argh, kill it!

SEND HATE MAIL HERE: DaKramps@gmail.com

Pls Follow so I can feel good about myself.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-28 04:31:11

He's awesome and screw anyone who thinks differently.

It's funny though how different Adam looks when his hair doesn't cover his ears. Google Adam Driver.
Any picture where his ears are covered, he's a model. When you see his ears... he's a hillbilly nerd.

Play my epic RPG - The Awakening - and your life will change forever!

... but I'm legally obligated not to say that.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-28 05:41:47

At 1/28/16 04:31 AM, RockLou wrote: He's awesome and screw anyone who thinks differently.

It's funny though how different Adam looks when his hair doesn't cover his ears. Google Adam Driver.
Any picture where his ears are covered, he's a model. When you see his ears... he's a hillbilly nerd.

lol Yeah, the first thing I thought when he took his helmet off was that they were hiding his ears.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-28 05:57:26

At 1/28/16 05:41 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol Yeah, the first thing I thought when he took his helmet off was that they were hiding his ears.

Definitely. If Kylo Ren ever shaves his head, no one is going to take him seriously anymore.

Play my epic RPG - The Awakening - and your life will change forever!

... but I'm legally obligated not to say that.

Response to Thoughts on Kylo Ren anyone? 2016-01-28 06:00:22

At 1/28/16 05:57 AM, RockLou wrote:
At 1/28/16 05:41 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: lol Yeah, the first thing I thought when he took his helmet off was that they were hiding his ears.
Definitely. If Kylo Ren ever shaves his head, no one is going to take him seriously anymore.

A taller Nien Nunb

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature