00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ectophasm just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

why are musicians so unreliable?

3,308 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 17:01:37

Many times on here I have advertised for a collab got a bunch of responses and they're all like yeah up for it. Then when it comes down to it nothing gets done or we start a track then they dissapear forever and I hear nothing more of it. Decent thing to do if you don't wanna finish the project is say so you douche. /rant

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 17:16:56

It is common decency to respond, but be also sure that they don't have extenuating circumstances (i.e. dead PC, more pressing concerns they cannot talk about) that are preventing them from speaking with you.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 17:34:28

At 1/12/16 05:16 PM, Troisnyx wrote: It is common decency to respond, but be also sure that they don't have extenuating circumstances (i.e. dead PC, more pressing concerns they cannot talk about) that are preventing them from speaking with you.

Its possible but its happened a lot of times.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 18:03:01

This is why I do not accept commission work on new projects. Where as I have to make something that fits with a video game in progress. Instead what I do is create full songs, name and tag them with appropriate moods. And if you want to use anything that I have created I make it extremely easy for anyone to just use it in their work with little or no action required to have the song used in their projects.

There are millions of songs on newgrounds already. Wait maybe not millions but a good hundred thousand to search through to find something that you think would fit your game. But the problem is the amount of time you have to at least LISTEN to what has already been created. Even though the average artists can take upwards of weeks to create 1 four minute song complete with a chorus and a few verses.

Honestly if I was any game developer I would be using the search function found in the audio portal and inputting search words like "sensual moment" or "savage beast theme." The search button could probably get rid of the guess work with having commission work accepted with no substance.

And with so many people who are afraid of failure or rejection it is probably why you can't ever get a commission completed.

Honestly I would love to accept commissions, but I fear that I would become less of an artist, and more of a music machine pumping out another generic tune that might or might not really catch on in the gaming community like undertake.

I make music to share. If it ends up in a video game then cool. If not it doesn't hurt me. Music is one of my many passionate hobbies, not my meal ticket.

I love it when people challenge me in a music one off because it sparks creativity. But I think most of the people here really aren't that adventurous in music production like I am. Maybe there might be some, but not a lot.

However again. Use the search button to find some music. That is what the original purpose of the audio portal was meant for. For people to find sounds to use in their projects. Instead of coming into the forum to find someone to make something specific to the game you are currently creating.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 18:16:00

At 1/12/16 05:01 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Many times on here I have advertised for a collab got a bunch of responses and they're all like yeah up for it. Then when it comes down to it nothing gets done or we start a track then they dissapear forever and I hear nothing more of it. Decent thing to do if you don't wanna finish the project is say so you douche. /rant

Good, you've just pointed out one of the reasons why I don't collab on music at the moment.
I just like to work on my own.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 18:36:26

At 1/12/16 06:12 PM, dem0lecule wrote: This is why I only collab with those I know, not random people.

Yeah, it helps to make sure that whoever you are working with isn't a total flake. This is also applicable to many projects outside of music. Trust me.

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 18:56:35

Yes yes yes yes yes

That being said is there anyone
- more skilled than me
- willing to make a decent track and not be a flaker
- that works in FL 12
who would like to collab with me :3 I want guidance

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 21:34:36

I don't even collab anymore.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 21:35:09

At 1/12/16 05:01 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: Many times on here I have advertised for a collab got a bunch of responses and they're all like yeah up for it. Then when it comes down to it nothing gets done or we start a track then they dissapear forever and I hear nothing more of it. Decent thing to do if you don't wanna finish the project is say so you douche. /rant

I have like 5 ongoing collabs .-.

Some musicians are really busy. I have a crazy life right now. Reliability is a tough issue to discuss when you don't have all the details. Usually I am reliable, but you have to understand some peoples' schedules. If they are in fact unreliable, then just drop the project and work on it yourself, <*but make sure you have your partner's permission.*>

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 23:38:38

At 1/12/16 09:34 PM, Deshiel wrote: I don't even collab anymore.

I don't even compose anymore.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-12 23:53:22

ive never understand collabing with other producers

I see a point of collabs between big names like eminem and whoever else, but not producers you would find on newgrounds (most of them. SeamlessR and Celldweller I can see a point to that collab stuff etc)

But IMO unless somehows its actually just fun for you, I dont see any point for smalltime producers to collab with each other, to me itd just be frustrating and stressful.

I have worked with other people but not other producers.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-13 01:32:12

At 1/13/16 12:12 AM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: I would gladly write music for your project. The only thing I require is some kind of imagery for atmospheric purposes. I do my best work when I can see the final cut of whatever game or movie you have made.

I think it should be a rule for commissioners to provide proper vision of gameplay. Almost like a full run through of the game in its current state as well as its vision.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-13 05:32:55

I always say I'm gonna learn the tabs but then I don't...Sorry, Tony :O

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-13 08:32:22

At 1/12/16 11:53 PM, Rennh wrote: ive never understand collabing with other producers

I see a point of collabs between big names like eminem and whoever else, but not producers you would find on newgrounds (most of them. SeamlessR and Celldweller I can see a point to that collab stuff etc)

Well the point of it is to learn new things, from each other and of course it is fun.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-13 08:37:04

However again. Use the search button to find some music. That is what the original purpose of the audio portal was meant for. For people to find sounds to use in their projects. Instead of coming into the forum to find someone to make something specific to the game you are currently creating.

You totally mised the point of my post. Im not looking to commission anyone. I myself am a music producer who wishes to collab with another music producer for fun, learning etc.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-13 08:37:43

At 1/13/16 03:45 AM, Lich wrote: We're too busy eating a good bit of toast and having a cuppa tea.
when I say 'we' I'm mostly referring to myself haha

the british way :)

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-13 08:47:09

At 1/12/16 06:56 PM, 1f1n1ty wrote: Yes yes yes yes yes

That being said is there anyone
- more skilled than me
- willing to make a decent track and not be a flaker
- that works in FL 12
who would like to collab with me :3 I want guidance

Dont know if im more skilled than you but i tick all those boxes if you want to collab. Just dont flake out on me.

Ya sorry that was mainly time zone issues. I could never actually get to you. I'v been on the other side though so I know how it feels.

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-14 06:21:14

All ya gotta do to make a good collab is set a deadline, and deliver your end of it. My thought process is this:

1. If someone wants to collab, they need to tell me specifically what they want from me. I HATE it when I do hours of work, and the person I'm working with doesn't use it in their project because they were too inarticulate to tell me what they wanted.

2. If someone tells me that they are going to deliver something, and they don't, then they had better have a damn good reason if they're going to work with me again. I don't accept emotional reasons. "I just...I just can't right now...because the mood isn't right," is a bullshit excuse, and no professional ANYTHING should be able to get away with it. Paul Simon did his Graceland tour while going through a divorce. Beethoven kept composing despite being deaf. Mozart passed out during his final opera and died the next day. What's your excuse? Deliver the goods, or you'll never work with me again until you figure your shit out.

3. If I say I'm going to deliver something, I make sure that I set a date that is easy for me to meet, and then I deliver before that time, just in case something needs changing. I make sure that people who request a track from me get it.

I can blame all the flaky musicians I've attempted to work with for projects failing, but in the end the only person I can fix is me, and if I want to hold people I work with to a standard, I'd better first prove that it can be easily done by doing it myself!

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-14 17:54:02

Well, I can tell you from my own personal experience that musicians on the whole are un-reliable, UNLESS, there is monetary exchange occurring with said player/musician.

I can't tell you how many times that I'd had people flake on me the last minute, there are so many factors that come in to play with these situations.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-15 04:44:55

<------------------ *Direct blow. Personally I don't actually mean anything ill. I have ups and downs when it comes to my inspiration as a musician, and if I'm in the middle of a collab when I have one of my downperiods, I usually just tell the other part that I'll take a short break. Sometimes I never get back to them afterwards, but that's rather because I forget all about it after a while. Sorry bro, won't happen again.

Just a random idiot

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-15 07:50:57

At 1/15/16 04:44 AM, Ectisity wrote: <------------------ *Direct blow. Personally I don't actually mean anything ill. I have ups and downs when it comes to my inspiration as a musician, and if I'm in the middle of a collab when I have one of my downperiods, I usually just tell the other part that I'll take a short break. Sometimes I never get back to them afterwards, but that's rather because I forget all about it after a while. Sorry bro, won't happen again.

That's the rub, isn't it? Art requires inspiration...or does it? I find personally that art is much more like exercise. You might not REALLY wanna go to the gym today, but I'll bet that after about two minutes IN the gym, you're cranking out bench-presses as well as anyone. Music is much the same to me. I keep my guitars and mics and stuff out and within easy reach. If it's a pain in the ass to set up, I won't use it. But if it's just hanging there on the wall by my room when I go for snax...

You can't rely on the perfect moment. Those moments only come once in a lifetime. It's the grind, in life. By pushing yourself when you don't feel up to it, you learn the skills you'll need when that perfect moment comes along, so you don't waste it.

Who knows? Maybe the next number 1 single has already passed you by because you didn't feel like doing it. Don't laugh. "Royals" was recorded by a 16-year-old girl with a macbook in her basement.

I'm a session guitarist as well as a producer and completely understand your pain. Which is why I won't collab with anyone unless they've had a proven record with completing collaborations in the past, that list of people right now is exactly zero.

I've had much better luck as a session guitarist though, probably because my services were free up until this year. Regardless, I have several guaranteed clients as a result that not only deliver a finished project every time but a product that will consistently surpass it's predecessor. Although, there have been a couple times where I was requested for a track and they never released or completed it.

TL;DR: Only collab with artists that have completed a collab in the past.

Oh and can you not group all musicians into your 'unreliable' folder? That's extremely insulting and liable to get you on a shit list. Namely, mine.

Click for the free download of Riptide and more!

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-16 07:06:00

At 1/15/16 06:10 PM, Maezo wrote: Oh and can you not group all musicians into your 'unreliable' folder? That's extremely insulting and liable to get you on a shit list. Namely, mine.

Keep your wig on, I'm a musician myself.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-16 12:27:38

Many factors come into place when collabing with someone. Literally anything can happen to the other person while you're doing your part or you're waiting for the other person to start.

One thing that I've learned is to never pretend from others. Do your part first and work hard for it. If you see that the other person can't finish it for whatever reason, then move onto the next person you see some potential in if you wanna keep the project going. Flexibility is key. Indeed, to quote the Sniper from TF2, "Have a plan for everyone you meet" in a non-lethal way.

And trust me, I have worked with programmers and game designers too, and they can be as unreliable or even worse, be it for selfishness, being extremely uncommunicative or pretentious, or whatever. It's always on a per case basis, I think that's obvious. Just do your thing and don't stop at the first hindrance you meet because you WILL meet one at some point. ;)

BBS Signature

I don't know, but I can't complain that most of my competition disappears on projects I want to work on.

Let them be lazy.

I got to make my own full OST recently, I made 23 loops in 20 days, turns out, that's most hobbyists yearly output. It's led to several other potential commissions. They burned through 6 musicians that couldn't deliver on quantity or quality before I got to jump on board.

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-20 02:07:55

i got tired of the same thing. do what i did: form a band. find someone who has the same passion and taste as you, and stick with them. has worked wonderfully so far and i don't see any issues arising any time soon.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-25 19:44:39

Many times musicians are flaky because they are by nature a spontaneous bunch and when their attention is grabbed by something "more interesting" or "more important" than something they had previously planned to do they shift focus.

Not all musicians are like that, and I speak from experience as I am a guitarist and composer and am always punctual and on time to a meeting and stick to a project unless the one who brought me on board brings it to an end.

But if you wanted to know why many musicians are flaky, that'd be the most common reason. They're an unrefined and spontaneous bunch, hence the lack of reliability in many of them who don't have a definitive plan in life for what they are going to do and where they are going to go with their music. But when they're more refined and plan everything meticulously, they get things done and stick things out.

It all depends on the individual and a bit of luck.

Feel free to follow me at: http://kyero2015.newgrounds.com/follow

Cinematic-style Orchestral Music

Response to why are musicians so unreliable? 2016-01-26 18:21:18

At 1/25/16 07:44 PM, Kyero2015 wrote:
Many times musicians are flaky because they are by nature a spontaneous bunch and when their attention is grabbed by something "more interesting" or "more important" than something they had previously planned to do they shift focus.

I do this all the time whether it's music or not. It's generally not music.
Also I should probably do my homework now, but Newgrounds is more interesting.