00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I need help with a technique please

420 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm trying to create a 3D-Like Elevator going down a shaft from a very weird angle. The 3D Rotation tool is cool and all but its not strong enough to do anything beyond a flat graphic. Creating a cube and animating it is much harder.

Animator for hire. Check out the stuff I have on the portal and the forums. If you like something, send me a message.

BBS Signature

Response to I need help with a technique please 2016-01-10 20:16:06

Alright I managedo to solve the problem through old fashion frame by frame techniques. I couldn't get the 3D/Tween tools to produce the effect I wanted. I tried to make this as 3D as possible watcha think?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d9e31d0ed8b632553edfeae58c4a6e2b

Animator for hire. Check out the stuff I have on the portal and the forums. If you like something, send me a message.

BBS Signature

Response to I need help with a technique please 2016-01-10 21:00:55

At 1/10/16 08:16 PM, Xcyper33 wrote: Alright I managedo to solve the problem through old fashion frame by frame techniques. I couldn't get the 3D/Tween tools to produce the effect I wanted. I tried to make this as 3D as possible watcha think?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d9e31d0ed8b632553edfeae58c4a6e2b

Looks fine as it is; just at the beginning needs to smooth out a bit because it is a bit jarring there.

I wouldn't try using the Tween tools for this since the perspective is a bit curved. I know DrawWithJazza does a similar effect for this, but that's more for rigid areas.

So. . . just stick with the frame-by-frame - it is not worth pulling hairs out trying to figure out the other tools.

Response to I need help with a technique please 2016-01-11 13:32:27

Watched it frame by frame.

The perspective wrong, first of the perspective of your background is pretty bonkywonky and even then the elevator doesnt match the perspective flow of the background. So you will always get a feeling that it will be off.

Perspective is a key element :)

Response to I need help with a technique please 2016-01-11 15:11:52

At 1/11/16 01:32 PM, Sjiht wrote: Watched it frame by frame.

The perspective wrong, first of the perspective of your background is pretty bonkywonky and even then the elevator doesnt match the perspective flow of the background. So you will always get a feeling that it will be off.

I think if you are going to post something like this, you should really point out HOW it is wrong, instead of just saying it is wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to I need help with a technique please 2016-01-12 10:32:36

At 1/11/16 03:11 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 1/11/16 01:32 PM, Sjiht wrote: Watched it frame by frame.

I think if you are going to post something like this, you should really point out HOW it is wrong, instead of just saying it is wrong.

Hey, I was kinda bored so i worked over your shot... I don't wanna come off patronizing if you know about perspective, but here is what I did. You have a 3 point perspective scene with like a tilted angle. All I did was make the vanishing points clearer. To make the bg fit a little better you need all the vertical lines to converge to vp3. It's a little bit of guesswork because your scene has that curvy cartoon style to it which is nice. If it were a standard scene I'd just get a ruler and do everything straight.

The front/back planes of the elevator always has to converge to Vp 1 and the side planes have to converge to VP 2.
If you follow that through your animation itll be fairly straightforward, I tried to sketch it out in blue a few keyframes to show you what it would look like.

On another note, if the elevator is above the horizon line we will see the underside of it. When its below the horizon line we will see the top. That could be why your anim is a little jarring because we see the top most of the way down.

I need help with a technique please