00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Deserted Island Contest 3

5,476 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-15 16:43:55

Folks, just over a week remaining! Time to start getting those submissions in. :D

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-15 17:22:30

At 1/15/16 04:43 PM, samulis wrote: Folks, just over a week remaining! Time to start getting those submissions in. :D

Dangit, I've barely started!
Time to figure out why Reaper is refusing to play stuff from the playlist now...

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-17 19:04:11

I've got something good started - now it's a question of whether I have time to finish.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-17 19:51:41

Oooo this looks cool, im going to try it out =D

hi!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-17 20:57:53

Oh boy nobody invited me

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-19 01:28:12

At 1/17/16 08:57 PM, Deshiel wrote: Oh boy nobody invited me

Sorry, no FL Slayer

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-19 01:47:40

Plenty of ideas, not enough to make a full track^^
OhSchmidt!

Charlatan and Gravel should emulate slayer decently.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-21 21:54:25

Ok, i will post something tomorrow. Kinda late but i hope other people participate as well.
Tons of fun designing everything with pg8x and Charlatan.
I might borrow a crash and a few instruments from the orchestral pack though.
Crash cymbal from a noise, i havent found the recipe yet. ^^

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

At 1/21/16 09:54 PM, Daru925 wrote: Ok, i will post something tomorrow. Kinda late but i hope other people participate as well.
Tons of fun designing everything with pg8x and Charlatan.
I might borrow a crash and a few instruments from the orchestral pack though.
Crash cymbal from a noise, i havent found the recipe yet. ^^

Yeah, turnout is pretty low unfortunately, so may end up extending the deadline by a week or so if we don't get a few entries tomorrow.

Otherwise, easy win 4 u. :D

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-22 01:22:50

At 1/21/16 10:41 PM, samulis wrote:
Yeah, turnout is pretty low unfortunately, so may end up extending the deadline by a week or so if we don't get a few entries tomorrow.

That would be sweet, as time is a rare resource these days :D

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-22 20:48:49

Restructured my song a bit because I didn't like where it was going, but liked the individual parts.

Also you might want to extend the deadline so people don't just bitcrush everything in their project for this and submit it to Pixel Day because they didn't have enough time.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-22 23:32:27

At 1/22/16 08:48 PM, Gragon73 wrote: Restructured my song a bit because I didn't like where it was going, but liked the individual parts.

Also you might want to extend the deadline so people don't just bitcrush everything in their project for this and submit it to Pixel Day because they didn't have enough time.

Yeah. XD

Deadline officially extended to 31st at Midnight GMT-5!!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-22 23:42:22

At 1/22/16 11:36 PM, MrSmash64 wrote: im the only contestant, i win XDXDXDXDXD (i wish kappa emoji existed)

Actually, if we don't get enough people, I'll have to cancel the contest, unfortunately.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-23 02:58:18

Maybe you could arrange to frontpage your contest, as it would be sad to cancel the contest midway :(

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-23 09:12:44

At 1/22/16 11:36 PM, MrSmash64 wrote: im the only contestant, i win XDXDXDXDXD (i wish kappa emoji existed)

You can always upload an image of it in your post.

At 1/23/16 02:58 AM, SoTJake wrote: Maybe you could arrange to frontpage your contest, as it would be sad to cancel the contest midway :(

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-23 20:01:26

If I could make a suggestion for the next contest, maybe there could be more kick drum samples available?

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-24 14:46:00

At 1/23/16 08:01 PM, Sleepycoaster wrote: If I could make a suggestion for the next contest, maybe there could be more kick drum samples available?

Cooltronic 03 (or whatever it's called) from Grace is pretty good IMO, but it would have been nice to have more.
Also there are literally no good hihats.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-24 15:48:50

At 1/24/16 02:46 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
At 1/23/16 08:01 PM, Sleepycoaster wrote: If I could make a suggestion for the next contest, maybe there could be more kick drum samples available?
Cooltronic 03 (or whatever it's called) from Grace is pretty good IMO, but it would have been nice to have more.
Also there are literally no good hihats.

Guys... the point of this contest is to get by with limits. If you had everything you needed, there would be no challenge. Make your own hi-hats! I'm sure you can retrofit the provided samples.

If you don't believe me, listen to some of the amazing entries from the first contest:
http://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/249a7aa6bb6b08db9aa1e7bece818e1b

They could only use 25 samples max, out of a set of 50! You have 256 samples plus an entire library of 40 free plugins.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-24 16:41:07

Just to give you an idea, I'm not the best at cooking drums, but i did this in no time with stacked Charlatan instances and a few plugins from the list.
https://instaud.io/i9V

If you feel limited, you should check the amazing tracks from kvr one synth challenges.
One synth for everything, very limited use of effects, and still putting expensive libraries synths and effects to shame (almost)

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-24 17:11:00

At 1/24/16 04:44 PM, MrSmash64 wrote:
At 1/24/16 03:48 PM, samulis wrote: Guys... the point of this contest is to get by with limits. If you had everything you needed, there would be no challenge.
I agree with you, but you could've at least had a non-electronic kick sample. cuz the only kick samples i would really be able to do (barley) are hardstyle. but god knows i suck at hardstyle

There were quite a few ethnic drum, tom (essentially a tenor drum), and timpani samples in the 256-pack that can easily be repitched and EQ'd to make some bass/kick drums. Part of this challenge is learning how to manipulate samples to get what you want rather than relying on what you already have. :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-25 08:53:14

At 1/24/16 03:48 PM, samulis wrote: Guys... the point of this contest is to get by with limits. If you had everything you needed, there would be no challenge. Make your own hi-hats! I'm sure you can retrofit the provided samples.

I'm getting by fine with no hi-hats. I just wasted a while earlier trying to find some.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-25 16:25:30

As of thirty minutes ago, this will be only the second song I've made (or started making - some went unfinished) that has any sort of switch-up.

Feeling even better about where this is going now.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-29 16:26:54

WHERE ARE THE ENTRIES

Mine was done until Reaper decided that one of my tracks couldn't be unmuted because it randomly started giving me +97 decibels. And I hadn't saved, either...

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-29 20:30:16

WHERE ARE THE ENTRIES V2
ALSO WHY IS MJUCjr THE ONLY COMPRESSOR D:

It doesn't work in REAPER on my laptop... I actually have no clue what to do here

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-29 23:10:35

At 1/29/16 08:30 PM, Gragon73 wrote: WHERE ARE THE ENTRIES V2

It doesn't work in REAPER on my laptop... I actually have no clue what to do here

I dunno, but unless we get at least 6 entries, I'll have to cancel. Maybe this one was too restrictive- it sounded like a lot of people didn't want to download the plugins or had trouble getting inspired. Next time I'll have to try something else. Good news is, if I cancel it, I'll still have the prize pool for the next one.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-30 02:43:51

At 1/29/16 08:30 PM, Gragon73 wrote: WHERE ARE THE ENTRIES V2

Use Nova! It can be used like a single/multiband/sidechain compressor.
Also i was using the extended time to refine things and there, got caught up with new ideas and then i ended up changing a lot of things ahah.
Now i'm late^^

Whatever the outcome, i enjoyed this challenge mister @samulis.

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-30 09:07:11

At 1/29/16 11:10 PM, samulis wrote: I dunno, but unless we get at least 6 entries, I'll have to cancel. Maybe this one was too restrictive- it sounded like a lot of people didn't want to download the plugins or had trouble getting inspired. Next time I'll have to try something else. Good news is, if I cancel it, I'll still have the prize pool for the next one.

Maybe contact BPB about this and see how many more people say they're joining.

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-30 11:58:12

At 1/30/16 02:43 AM, Daru925 wrote: Use Nova! It can be used like a single/multiband/sidechain compressor.

Not sure why I missed that...

Anyway, after about 10 renders, here's my entry:

Response to NG Deserted Island Contest 3 2016-01-30 13:57:08

34 hours left and only two entries so far. Get 'em in folks! Let's get up to 6!

BBS Signature

At 1/30/16 01:57 PM, samulis wrote: 34 hours left and only two entries so far. Get 'em in folks! Let's get up to 6!

Made it in time, not enough time to mix though. However, here is my entry: