00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crakie20 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I've never played Final Fantasy.

1,892 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-05 20:48:41

As a small kid I played both the Kingdom Hearts games, but I have not played Final Fantasy. I've seen the characters and the artwork and it blows me away. Square Enix is one of my top 3 game developers. The world of Final Fantasy inspires me, I was wondering for someone who has never played the game where a good place to start would be?

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-05 21:22:18

Final Fantasy is considerably different from Kingdom Hearts. Start with the mainstream ones in any order and then move on to the originals. The GBA versions of the originals are best.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-05 22:03:35

At 1/5/16 09:22 PM, Chdonga wrote: Final Fantasy is considerably different from Kingdom Hearts. Start with the mainstream ones in any order and then move on to the originals. The GBA versions of the originals are best.

I disagree with that last statement. In a lot of situations the PSP/PS Vita had the better remakes, especially with Final Fantasy IV since it was bundled with The After Years. The PSP remake of I and II are better as well.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-05 23:51:36

IV, VI, VII, or X are probably fine to start with

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-06 00:19:14

If you're more familiar with Kingdom Hearts and not into turn-based style JRPGs I would wait for Final Fantasy XV which is supposedly KH-esque, but somewhat further on the strategic spectrum. If you think those kinds of games might be your thing I'd recommend FFX, the story and voice acting haven't aged well, but the gameplay is still solid and the systems behind it are easy to get into.

That being said IV-XII are all good choices, with VI and VII generally winning the popularity contests. VIII is probably the hardest to get into gameplaywise and I'd recommend against playing it first, but I have a soft spot for it.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-06 00:21:16

Okay if you're gonna jump from Kingdom Hearts to Final Fantasy, be prepared for a major shift in the battle mechanics. A lot of stuff will be similar to you, but the battles will be different.

Also I would suggest you play Final Fantasy VII first, since it is the one that really brought people into Final Fantasy. However that requires some effort in requiring thanks to the BS that Sony has given us. You could wait for the HD Remake of Final Fantasy VII though.

I would suggest Final Fantasy VI (which the name for it here in the US is Final Fantasy III). You can get it on the Wii Virtual Console which can be accessed on your Wii U. That is my favorite out of the Final Fantasy series and is on par with Final Fantasy VII.

However since you love Square Enix so much, I would suggest two games (also RPGs) above all Final Fantasy games and those are Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Chrono Trigger.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-06 10:39:49

At 1/5/16 10:03 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote:
At 1/5/16 09:22 PM, Chdonga wrote:
I disagree with that last statement. In a lot of situations the PSP/PS Vita had the better remakes, especially with Final Fantasy IV since it was bundled with The After Years. The PSP remake of I and II are better as well.

Oh. I didn't know there was a PSP/Vita remake.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-06 17:09:12

At 1/6/16 01:06 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Play ff9 avoid 8 unless you really enjoy grinding.

Haven't played 8 but 9 is the bee's knees.

Plus, Quina. Things are always better with Quina.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-06 17:43:48

I would think Type 0 and Crisis Core are closer (and XV will be) in gameplay to KH than other FF games. I've never played CC and it's been maybe 12 years or more since I played KH, though. I tried many times since I was 8 or 9 years old to get into FF games because I always liked the look and characters and settings and everything until I gave up on turn based games in general in my late teens or so. But I recently started playing Type 0, which is more action RPG and I like it a lot.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-06 17:54:23

At 1/6/16 05:35 PM, zornuzkull wrote:
At 1/6/16 05:09 PM, thenoodge wrote:
At 1/6/16 01:06 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Play ff9 avoid 8 unless you really enjoy grinding.
Haven't played 8 but 9 is the bee's knees.

Plus, Quina. Things are always better with Quina.
Quina is badass if you can be bothered hunting all those frogs...

You just got to be patient, and don't catch those golden frogs!

Between that and Mighty Guard, she rules.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-07 00:23:48

Thank you for the help everyone, this has been a helpful and interesting read. When have some down time I'll hop right into it.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-07 02:41:00

So play them. What is exactly post worthy here?

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-07 12:02:04

At 1/7/16 12:23 AM, redonion wrote: Thank you for the help everyone, this has been a helpful and interesting read. When have some down time I'll hop right into it.

Dude, this was a contest, we need to know who specifically was the most helpful and god help you if you don't say it was me.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-07 17:16:23

At 1/7/16 02:41 AM, sharpnova wrote: So play them. What is exactly post worthy here?

Because I wanted to know which game was better to play first.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-07 18:13:20

I would recommend Final Fantasy 7. Its a well paced game and the story is worth the hours put into it. Not only that, they are planning to make a remake with new visuals for the ps4.

I've never played Final Fantasy.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-08 18:45:10

Of the main series, I agree that Final Fantasy X is probably the most accessible. It is considered by some to be the last good one. VI, VII and IX are also still well worth playing I think. IX is my personal favourite and might be a decent entry point as well since it was somewhat of a throwback to the older games.

As for the spin-off titles: Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 is pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend starting out with it. I've also played Crystal Chronicles for the GameCube, but I didn't like it too much. It might be fun if you have someone to co-op with though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-09 00:14:59

I've also never played much FF either. I tried to get into VII when I was younger and completely lost interest after the beginning (which was incredibly adrenaline-pumping)

A few years later I tried FFVIII and enjoyed it a lot more. Was playing on a PSP so I didn't make much progress before finding that the game crashed my system. Was definitely fun while it lasted, though. Fun enough for me to buy it on PS1 after my little test drive. Still gotta get around to playing that.

Based on everything I've seen and what little I've played, FF VI sounds like the way to go.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Final Fantasy 12 is the closest you will come to Kingdom Hearts in the "main numbered" games. 12 has some serious fucking problems with gamefaqs being almost mandatory due to all the cryptic "let's sell a strategy guide" bullshit fueling the whole game, but the combat is A+ even though it still uses an ATB type system but outside feels a lot like Kingdom Hearts. Just don't expect a competent story progression since they pull the "go from point A to point B and have no pay-off" card about 3 times in a row for the majority of the game's running time. It is actually a good story, but the actual progression you play is poor. I don't really know how they fucked it up so much, they had a great world yet the linear path they force you down misses EVERYTHING they could have added.

Anyway, the best turn-based Final Fantasy is FF10 hands down as an established fact (Buy the PS2 version is is vastly superior and cheaper since the "HD remake" is barely even noticeable without side-by-side comparisons and the updated music is absolutely shit, it is the "let's make a remix by adding more instruments instead of actually properly remixing the song" type "remix" so as a result sounds like an amateur got the original song and added random shit on top to ruin it, hell the "Challenge" track is made to be techno in the remix FUCKING TECHNO FOR THE UNDEAD LADY BOSS FIGHT, how could they fuck that up so badly? TECHNO ALWAYS GOES WITH MECHANICAL THINGS! THAT IS HOW MUSIC IN GAMES WORKS! Fucking incompetent idiots. Seriously look at any good game, Skies of Arcadia that has a lot of techno themes since there is a lot of mechanical stuff in that game like the Gigas, but they also don't use techno for the rest of the game since the rest of the game isn't fucking mechanical! I know I am banging on about the same point here but people actually praise this fucking remixed soundtrack TECHNO FOR AN UNDEAD FIGHT! How can anyone fucking approve of this butchering of the original great sounding music?)

The best ATB type game in the series comes down to preference, if you want to chill without thinking much about the fights then pick 7,8 or 9. If you want to push for ridiculous speeds and for the combat to be exhilarating then pick 13. 13 is definitely the most "active" ATB game in the series with being able to time attacks for them to interrupt the enemy's attacks or land at the same time as your allies' attacks being a key improvement that doesn't exist in the more chill previous ATB games. But as a result it does need you to be more alert and focused as a result so if you want to chill 7, 8 and 9 has you covered....well questionably 9 as it can be bullshit hard at times.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-13 04:21:54

At 1/13/16 12:53 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 1/7/16 11:56 AM, dem0lecule wrote: Tip of life: Anything after X is bad.
fixed that for you.

Type 0 is really good (and it's real time action like KH). Unless you guys just meant the numbered games.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-14 07:07:05

Buy a PS2 and a copy of FFXII, it's worth it.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-16 11:14:01

At 1/5/16 08:48 PM, redonion wrote: As a small kid I played both the Kingdom Hearts games, but I have not played Final Fantasy. I've seen the characters and the artwork and it blows me away. Square Enix is one of my top 3 game developers. The world of Final Fantasy inspires me, I was wondering for someone who has never played the game where a good place to start would be?

8 and 10 are my favorites, then 7. As someone mentioned, there is a bit of grinding to do in 8 but I think the story is the best.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-19 10:23:09

XII is my favorite in the series, but VIII and X were a lot of fun too. Never finished X-2, but I enjoyed what I played.

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-19 12:43:28

Final Fantasy X is a safe bet, it also looks much better than all the other ones so if you're more used to modern games then go for FFX first, it'll be less of a shock when you actually play the game.

or you know, if you like 2D games you could go for the first ones

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-19 13:58:12

Go definitely for X-2! The batte system certainly is a logical evolution of the previous ATB systems and plus, all three characters are girls! What more you could want?

Response to I've never played Final Fantasy. 2016-01-21 15:02:39

Final Fantasy VIII has everything you could want. The main character is aloof and crippled with abandonment issues which he shouldn't remember since the otherworldly forces he conjures for power devour his memories. He's also surrounded by cretins and predatory teachers in the child soldier factory whose nebulous purpose to assassinate a time traveling sorceress is only revealed after it's director is personal affected and the Prime Minister of post-war Germany (who is also the main character's goofball father) allows the influx of moon-monsters into his country. Also, he somehow falls in love with a comatose nuisance who is his douchebag rival's former girlfriend that possesses the power to make idiots around her even dumber.