00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Happy New Year!

16,305 Views | 109 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-03 16:16:24

Happy New Year to all members and mods around NG. Let's hope 2016 can be better for all of us. Last Year was sort of okay for me, but I'm getting better. Plan on typing a review soon.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-03 18:17:46

At 1/3/16 02:37 PM, liljim wrote:
At 1/3/16 01:50 PM, MindChamber wrote: stuff.
I just reread your last post... I'd originally read it as you getting back into animating, but you're looking to direct other's work?

I just dont think I really have it to animate.. I'll still do small stuff on my own,... but for bigger pieces.. I'll require teams.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-03 20:43:47

At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016?

Well if we're talking features I'd like to see the return of "view gems" You know when back then after a few thousnd views a gem would indicate that it reached a certain amount of views? I'd also like to see Review Crew Pick come back and easter eggs.

Oh and to see how many favorites our submissions got and a search button for our reviews.

BUT enough demanding. Happy New Year to everyone and I hope for all the best this year

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-03 21:13:48

I finally became a supporter. It was super simple, I just needed to stop procrastinating. And I suggest others do the same.

I know I say this one every time I reply to an NG News post, but I think we need a stronger emphasis on the portal. It creates a sense of community and competition that the site lacks nowadays. Back in the day, the portal was the hub of NG, and now it feels like it doesn't really have any centralisation. Maybe the front page is the hub now, but without easily visible descriptions, I find myself clicking on a lot less stuff.

I also think we need some sort of comment/review separation. The internet is a different place now; people these days don't read the instructions. I would suggest a sort of tabbed system, where reviews are prominently shown as the default, and comments is a secondary tab that can be moderated like a blog post's comments. Reviews are an important part of the site that needs to be promoted more, but we also need to acknowledge the reality of the way the social media dominated net works now.

I'd write more reviews myself, but I'm not too comfortable criticising others' work. Still, it's an important aspect to help the growth of newer creators. NG needs to be a place to create and find really cool stuff. We're not big enough to compete on a time-killing aspect. NG doesn't have the quantity of Youtube or Twitch. But we can compete on quality. It's easy to find something to waste ten minutes on youtube, but it's hard to find something really great because of the mountains of crap. NG can be the place to find really great stuff, because we have standards. And curation. The stuff on NG's front page has a much better success rate for quality than the automatically generated suggestions youtube gives me.

I also support bringing back the view gems. Everybody like little trinkets to show off. And as much as I don't like stat-whoring, it brings people back day after day to vote and review.

My goals for this year is to submit two games and at least three movies to the portal.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 04:35:32

Happy new year NG inhabitants :D !

Like some other workers, i'll upload the more i can on Newgrounds !

I planned to publish 1 game every two months ;)

But for now i have to support my game home in getting my subscriber account !

I wish health and success to everyone !

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 06:38:34

also put these pods as an option for your main page,

pods are cool though

i like pods

make cool pods tom

glad you liked my suggestions previous post :D

Happy New Year!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 07:53:29

Happy New Years! I personally appreaciate every review I get on my games :)

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 10:03:34

At 1/2/16 06:34 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: Remember this shit, Tom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLd7-bXv8NA

Man there are multiple versions on YouTube with hundreds of thousands of views... Most of the world will never know I made that back in college. I made two others... At least this one had a watermark and credit in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yz9tax4mPg

I also did a Lion King dub I was really happy with but I don't think it ever left the internal file share network at Drexel.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 10:05:36

At 1/2/16 10:27 PM, TheFabs wrote: Not only would this be extremely convenient and make the site more fun to surf, but I feel like it'd attract a lot more attention to the audio portal, getting more clicks on more songs, since the whole music listening experience on NG might be that much more appealing.

Would also be neat that it could auto-pause when a movie starts playing, although we wouldn't have a very good way of doing that when a game starts playing - I guess just opening a game page could pause it, if that would make the most sense to people.

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 16:41:30

i have no resolutions but i REALLY want to post stuff in NG(Games,art,animation).Its just...i dunno how to start.

Have any tips for me in all this.(i preffer no money in this....)

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 17:19:02

Update for anyone reading: We are up to 136 recurring subscribers at the moment (combination monthly and annual) and have also had a bunch of one-time annual purchases so far this year. We're working on a page that will showcase the stats for monthly + annual supporters.

For January we're up to $854.45, which includes anticipated revenue from monthly subscribers who will re-up during the month. Our monthly goal continues to be $4K to cover base hosting expenses.

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-04 22:27:09

At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!
Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016? What are your personal resolutions?

Personal resolutions:

1.) Continue to maintain my financial support of NG
2.) Encourage others to do so
3.) Consistently contribute to the Writing forum here on NG, no matter how small, like the Haiku a Day thread (going strong, but I wanna see more!)

Krash17's mental health secrets:

Drink more water, sleep well, and if you want friends, be a friend.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-05 00:11:25 (edited 2016-01-05 00:11:39)

At 1/4/16 10:03 AM, TomFulp wrote: I also did a Lion King dub I was really happy with but I don't think it ever left the internal file share network at Drexel.

Ah, see, either one of them would've made a good secret! Even a page of links to specific things (all the site skins, holiday icons, etc.) would make a nice secret!
Happy New Year Tom, hope the crew at your house had a rockin' time!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-05 11:43:32

Ok ok, I'll stop lurking so much.... lol happy new year!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-05 22:48:23

At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: We need a lot more of that cross-generational interaction around here and a new year is a good time to start.

Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016? What are your personal resolutions?

I'm now supporting monthly :) Happy to help! I think I brought it up with you once before, but I would personally be able to contribute far more if Newgrounds had a "video" section. Obviously the site is primarily focused on animation, but even if it were specific to videos with heavy special effects work, I'd have a whole pile of stuff to submit.

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-06 06:31:10

@TomFulp What about this ?

Instead of 1 user winning 100 bucks on the monthly voting, 4 users could win 25 bucks, and give those users the option of changing the 25 bucks for supporter state. Maybe after tasting the glory of being a supporter, they'll keep going for it.
This also could save NG some bucks, It may not be a lot of money, but it is something.
This could get more people interested into voting too.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-07 10:31:50

In 2016 I want to see you fight Tom from MySpace inside the octagon.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-08 09:13:30

This was the first New Year's in my whole life I spent without my parents since they moved to Atlanta. Due to this, I didn't really put any new year's resolutions, so I guess I have no guilt to feel about not keeping them. Then again, we'll be partly celebrating Christmas and New Year's today.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-10-26 20:18:46

Yay! I've been spending a lot more time on NG after watching an interview w Edmund McMillen where he was reminiscing about the early portal days... really brought my back to think about the classics such as bitch hunt, dead baby dress up, etc. started remembering things like Assassin, FDA and such... and to sit back and appreciate how many talented people were able to use this site as an open community to test out new and riskier ideas than you'd see in other places.

I've also been really bored with the popular social networks... then realized how unique this place is for connecting with creators directly and giving and receiving feedback on work.

Love you guys! Stay on newgrounds!!! 2017 will be even more better yo

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-10-27 09:32:55

At 10/26/16 08:18 PM, megamyth wrote: Yay! I've been spending a lot more time on NG after watching an interview w Edmund McMillen where he was reminiscing about the early portal days... really brought my back to think about the classics such as bitch hunt, dead baby dress up, etc. started remembering things like Assassin, FDA and such... and to sit back and appreciate how many talented people were able to use this site as an open community to test out new and riskier ideas than you'd see in other places.

I've also been really bored with the popular social networks... then realized how unique this place is for connecting with creators directly and giving and receiving feedback on work.

Love you guys! Stay on newgrounds!!! 2017 will be even more better yo

Thanks for coming back around and becoming a supporter! Really pumped to see how things go this coming year. A lot is riding on that supporter system but I like to think our ongoing updates will keep the support numbers rising.

BBS Signature