00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Happy New Year!

16,306 Views | 109 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 18:44:40

First of all, is there some way you can support NG in your native currency? I can afford a $25 supporter if it were in AUD. 1 AUD is about 0.70 USD (yes I am a tight arse)

What i'd like to see this year:

- Frontpage trophy
I noticed there is a FP award for art, why not for everything else? Would be cool to have it next to your movie, or any other content that gets on the FP. Reminds me of those milestone view gems you used to get for reaching 25k, 50k, etc, while seemingly pointless, they add to the charm of the site and give the user something to feel proud of in a sense.

- Annotations
Don't know how difficult it is to implement, but would be cool to have it enabled on NG.

- Friends List or Recommended Pages List
Somewhere on our userpage where we can link to other NG friends worth checking out, feels a little self centered at the moment.

- Improved Activity Feed
I like it how it tells me who fav'd/followed me but I miss being able to tell who fav'd my work, nothing more rewarding than seeing one of your fav artists pop one of your movies into their fav's list.

- Meta tags for audio
One reason I don't often upload audio to NG as much as soundcloud or bandcamp, is because there is no meta tag system, instead when someone downloads your music it only displays your NG username, with no tagging ability or album art included.

- News post embed improvement
I used to remember how to embed my movies correctly in news posts, but I completely forgot, if there was a simpler way to embed them without having to grab a code, would be nice (unless there is, god forbid someone tell me) at the moment it's not obvious enough.

- More userpage customization
Maybe a simple custom BG upload for supporters? Would love to be able to give some more flare to my page, a touch of personality.

- Hide individual userpage pods
Cause I could care less about game awards being on my page, I'd rather there not be a pod for that on my page at least.
Same with the user stat shot, with my ever lasting garbage whistle, things I'd rather not clutter my page.

- Add audio to dumping grounds
I can upload massive .fla files, why not mp3, wav, etc? Would be handy when needing to store important audio files for projects and what not too.

That's all I can really think of for now, but looking forward to seeing what NG has to offer in 2016 from everybody!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 18:45:37

Was I ever a popular artist?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 19:28:38

At 1/1/16 06:45 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Was I ever a popular artist?

Ye'd be popular if you just release that collab already!

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 19:30:35

I'd like Newgrounds to be a bit more open minded about the content that gets posted here. My last video got bad feedback because it had some live action in it.

So yeah, I'd be nice if the userbase would go back to its old self again. I've also noticed some pretentiousness here and there...

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 19:54:13

My New Years resolution to not make a promise I know I can't keep.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 21:11:52

At 1/1/16 04:45 PM, Noodle wrote:
At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016?
I would like to see a return to the days where people left worthwhile, constructive reviews.

I think there needs to be 2 options. "Comment" and "Review". Keep them separate. Then the 2 word youtube-esque comments woukd have their own place, and could quit clogging up the review space.

This.
Sometimes I don't feel like leaving a detail review about some short that I found really hilarious and just go batshit crazy like "OMFG I TOTALLY SAW THAT ONE COMING!!!!1111oneone", pretty much just poking fun at video as praise to the artist without leaving down a ridiculous review.

They are... after all, feedback to the artist after all.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 21:23:29 (edited 2016-01-01 21:25:03)

Happy new year Newgrounds!

At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016?

I am litterally a machine when it comes to ideas for Newgrounds. I'm keeping a list, looks like now is my chance to share some of it, heh. Most of these ideas involve profiles and the project system, but that's all behind-the-scene-ish. I'll skip most of that and focus on community stuff instead.

- Leveling System
My favorite for now is pretty simple. I like my level 30 weapon, and silly as this may sound, I'm reluctant to drop any more experience points because I really want to keep it. I imagine I'm not the only one. Wouldn't it be easy if everyone could select previously unlocked weapons from a dropdown? That way the leveling system could never obstruct the flow of incoming votes.

- Frontpage Advertisements
Another personal favorite is the advertisement pod on frontpage. Why only use images to advertise? Imagine having an embedded twitch stream or video up there! It would be great for tank awards, pico day or 48 hour jams. Maybe a poll from time to time?

- Supporter Features
And I was thinking the supporter upgrade might reward people with more dumping space. I came up with this one before you guys changed the system. Maybe this is a bad idea, I just wanted to throw it out there.

- Content Pages
I really like the "More Art From [Username]" option on the art portal's viewing pages. Could we get similar hubs for all the other portals?

- Blogs
I've had occasions where I missed the option to add header text for my blogs. Just today I stumbled upon an entry with improvised headers. They seem needed, especially for long posts.

- Forum Features
Do we have a forum for pixel artists? We might want one. Newgrounds may not be completely overflowing with pixel artists right now, but this could definitely change. Pixel flash games are more popular than ever, and Stencyl developers might have their eyes out for someone to work with. The art portal doesn't seem like the best place to ask about pixel art, seeing as more conventional forms of art are practiced there. Pixel art is definitely a niche area and should be given a chance to grow.

- Project System
NG Collabs are tricky to turn into movie files. But maybe it is possible to create a system that gives the creator an automated menu that can be customized. Collab organizers would upload their movie files separately, each with a different icon. Usernames can be assigned for each of them, possibly even titles. Then, when people check from their phone or elsewhere, they'll get an automated menu that allows them to watch each movie. This might be more work than it's worth, but yeah.

What are your personal resolutions?

My resolutions aren't very concrete, but they have a general direction. I would really like to learn to play a new instrument, and maybe create a 2.5d animation. I'd also like to do more live streaming and flesh out a story I'm working on. I may write a giant blog post of several entries on how my music style evolved over the years, similar to how I did one for my animation style. I feel it could help me find out what new direction to go in. The keyword for this year would be "consistency." Although that sounds awfully strict and limiting. It doesn't emphasize on all the new and exciting areas I want to explore. "Exploration" maybe? Eh... I'm going on a consistent expedition then.

At 1/1/16 02:19 PM, Bit wrote: But who would be the mascot for the Lit Portal? Pico, Darnell, and Nene are all taken. Don't worry, Tom. I volunteer to be the Lit Portal's mascot. It will look great with my icon plastered all over it.

How about mr. Flacit?

At 1/1/16 06:03 PM, Pink-Ninja wrote: What I would like to see from NG in 2016 is voting in the art portal contributing towards your EXP.

For what it's worth, I feel like this could have very bad results. Both the art and audio portal don't have a blam/save system. Art in particular is easy to rate, as you can instantly view everything. Rating art would of course become the most prefered way of getting experience, leading to a total neglect of the movie/games portal where it is needed the most.

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 21:27:56

At 1/1/16 09:23 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 1/1/16 02:19 PM, Bit wrote: But who would be the mascot for the Lit Portal? Pico, Darnell, and Nene are all taken. Don't worry, Tom. I volunteer to be the Lit Portal's mascot. It will look great with my icon plastered all over it.
How about mr. Flacid?

Shhh. I want to be the mascot.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 22:00:10

At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016? What are your personal resolutions?

It would be nice if we could edit submission titles again. One of my friends can't fix a typo in the title of his most recent Audio Portal submission now. X_X

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 22:00:43

My 2016 resolution
make more madness cartoons, atleast twice of the last year
bring new things to the table

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 23:06:28

At 1/1/16 04:45 PM, Noodle wrote:
I would like to see a return to the days where people left worthwhile, constructive reviews.

I think there needs to be 2 options. "Comment" and "Review". Keep them separate. Then the 2 word youtube-esque comments woukd have their own place, and could quit clogging up the review space.

I'm not an active enough Newgrounds user to recommend features that are likely to benefit the entire community, but I definitely agree with separate comment and review feeds. There are many times when I have to read through multiple 'useless' comments to find a comment that actually informs if they thought a video was worth watching.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 23:09:02

Happy New Year Tom!

I would love to see mobile for NG, but I'd also love to see the animated gif. user icons for Supporters if possible. That'd be dope.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 23:13:33

My hope is to one day be an actor that others can look up to! I promise to be way more active this year than I did last year or the year before that, 2016 is going to be amazing!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-01 23:15:59

At 1/1/16 11:09 PM, ZJ wrote: Happy New Year Tom!

I would love to see mobile for NG, but I'd also love to see the animated gif. user icons for Supporters if possible. That'd be dope.

Yeah an animated tubgirl gif would be great.

Teh Tubgirl is the best.

I LOVE teh Tubgirl, Do you?

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 00:07:16 (edited 2016-01-02 00:09:21)

You remember my concept about enabling contributor replies in comments? Probably still wishing for that. I'm no UI or programming guy, but I reckon you'd just have the actual uploader's response be displayed by default like it is now, but then also have "3 contributor replies!" or whatever in a dropdown box you can click on so folks don't have to scroll past 38 contributor replies to find the next review.

I know you already acknowledged this request though, but that'd probably be the coolest thing I think the site could do for me personally.

But along with that for 2016, I'd also like to see NG hit like, ten million supporters. Enough money to build a skyscraper that is just a big erect dick. Or, be artistic and use advanced architecture to build one that looks like a big flaccid dick just kinda hanging over the city like "ugh i'm sorry this doesn't usually happen".

At 1/1/16 11:13 PM, Saminat wrote: My hope is to one day be an actor that others can look up to! I promise to be way more active this year than I did last year or the year before that, 2016 is going to be amazing!

I already look up to you for being a cool and nice guy who can also take a joke. <3

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 00:24:21

Is the monthly donation Paypal only?

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 00:47:52

At 1/1/16 09:23 PM, Whirlguy wrote:

- Frontpage Advertisements
Another personal favorite is the advertisement pod on frontpage. Why only use images to advertise? Imagine having an embedded twitch stream or video up there! It would be great for tank awards, pico day or 48 hour jams. Maybe a poll from time to time?

I second this!

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 00:49:58

At 1/2/16 12:07 AM, Gianni wrote:
At 1/1/16 11:13 PM, Saminat wrote: My hope is to one day be an actor that others can look up to! I promise to be way more active this year than I did last year or the year before that, 2016 is going to be amazing!
I already look up to you for being a cool and nice guy who can also take a joke. <3

Likewise! I admire your range and the accomplishments you've achieved! :D

Happy New Year!

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 04:57:27 (edited 2016-01-02 04:58:37)

I'm late, but happy day after new years!

For NG I'd like to see a redesign that re-prioritizes the portal and community. That doesn't have tabs.

Honestly NG has so much going for it but this 2012 site design just drags us down.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 05:19:40 (edited 2016-01-02 05:21:36)

At 1/1/16 04:45 PM, Noodle wrote: I think there needs to be 2 options. "Comment" and "Review". Keep them separate. Then the 2 word youtube-esque comments woukd have their own place, and could quit clogging up the review space.

I wholeheartedly agree with this idea. It would also make it easier to report bugs and engage in visible conversation with the authors without using PMs.

As for goals... I hope this year I can upload more than one game, and maybe start to learn code to improve my programming skills.

Happy 2016 everyone.
LWYZLWYZ

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 05:57:53 (edited 2016-01-02 05:58:01)

Happy New Year to you too, Tom! I really hope this donation/subscription plan gets bigger. Currently supporting $25 yearly and I'm going to donate $10 monthly soon. :)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 07:00:24

At 1/1/16 10:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!

Happy new year to you too!

Please consider paying $2.99 per month to support Newgrounds!

Hard to do, since we just earn around 0,10€/month with our own website...

Besides going mobile, what would you like to see from Newgrounds in 2016? What are your personal resolutions?

The chance for the authors to "moderate" reviews on their own submissions... our personal resolutions? Publish the STAR QUORK's demo and mini-game, complete the translations of our first self-published book and (at least) the other two poems' collections and make videos longer than 15' (if not a full movie already)...

See you around!

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 07:15:17

Happy new year to everyone by everyone. :)

When you ask Tom...

What I would like to see in NG: I still use the portal page way more than the front page. I would like to see less featured but more new contents on the frontpage. For movies, games, music and art. It gives everybody a chance. The entry rating and blaming system on NG is legendary, unique and stood the test of time. With so many featured movies, it is almost hidden.

What I also would like to see is a section for other-language content (in my case German). It would greatly help spreading NG to other countries I believe. Somehow this should be possible. I have no clear idea how though.

My resolutions: Bringing more people to NG with my videos.

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 07:39:05

Happy New Year my newgrounds mates. Hope you had a pleasant and fun year.

"Yeah all recent things in life are always based upon something. Every idea now is never 100% original."

Click If curious:

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 07:50:29

Hey Tom, I have been thinking about this post, and I had the idea, add a monthly project that anyone on Newgrounds could participate in and if they did, they could get professional feedback from artists/game devs like you. I feel like this would encourage newer creators on Newgrounds (like me) to come out of the woodwork a bit and become part of the community. So yeah, if this becomes a reality I think that the content that people might be inspired to make could really help Newgrounds become a better place. So yeah, that's my two cents. Happy New year

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 08:19:44

At 1/1/16 05:27 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Also, @TomFulp, I was meaning to ask: a few of us were wondering if we could preview what we had planned for Pixel Day, or if we had to keep it a secret until the 23rd. What do you think?

Are you thinking of something like putting the preview page into public mode and sharing links to it in the Audio Forum? That sounds fine!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 08:20:29

At 1/2/16 08:19 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/1/16 05:27 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Also, @TomFulp, I was meaning to ask: a few of us were wondering if we could preview what we had planned for Pixel Day, or if we had to keep it a secret until the 23rd. What do you think?
Are you thinking of something like putting the preview page into public mode and sharing links to it in the Audio Forum? That sounds fine!

I was thinking either that, or Instaudio, or any similar means.
Are early submissions allowed?

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 08:23:48

At 1/1/16 06:44 PM, Blordow wrote: First of all, is there some way you can support NG in your native currency? I can afford a $25 supporter if it were in AUD. 1 AUD is about 0.70 USD (yes I am a tight arse)

What i'd like to see this year:

No plans for alternate currencies on Supporter at the moment but that's an interesting idea.

You have a really good suggestion list and I'm hoping just about everything there gets addressed with upcoming updates. Annotations is a big question mark, I don't think it will happen any time soon with all the other projects we're working on as much as I'd like to have them too.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 09:01:38

I know it was a hassle but I'd love to see the store come back, even if its just for limited times with limited runs of items. Also artist contributed mystery boxes. Have some well known ones contribute a few random things and when you amass enough stuff start making mystery boxes again, those things sell like hotcakes for a reason.

Also my resolution is to become more active on NG again, real life has been getting in the way of my favorite site and my activity here has dwindled in the past few years because of it, not a happy camper because of that.

Response to Happy New Year! 2016-01-02 09:49:55

It's a pity New Year's is so close to Christmas. We don't have any time at all to really prepare for it. Then again, I recall seeing some stuff for New Year's before it was even (?) Christmas. Then again (again?) I've seen stuff being put up for Super Bowl this year and that's probably a holiday anyway.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock