00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mae6NG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How many hours do you spend

677 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 02:55:33

...on a session for an animation? I'm sorry, I wasn't really sure how to word the title.
The thing is that today when I worked on an animation, I could only spend about 2 and a half hours before my hand severely cramped up. How many hours do animators typically spend each day, working on a project? .o.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 03:25:55

At 12/28/15 02:55 AM, Meowberry wrote: ...on a session for an animation? I'm sorry, I wasn't really sure how to word the title.
The thing is that today when I worked on an animation, I could only spend about 2 and a half hours before my hand severely cramped up. How many hours do animators typically spend each day, working on a project? .o.

Either my hand never cramps, or I just don't notice it. But I'd give it a good 5 hours.

If your hand's cramping, I suggest "exercising your hands," as shown from this link:
http://floobynooby.blogspot.fr/2015/07/animators-guide-to-health-and-wellness.html?m=1

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 04:07:25

Either my hand never cramps, or I just don't notice it. But I'd give it a good 5 hours.

If your hand's cramping, I suggest "exercising your hands," as shown from this link:
http://floobynooby.blogspot.fr/2015/07/animators-guide-to-health-and-wellness.html?m=1

Thanks yo! :>

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 12:26:45

Your hand cramps? What do you use to animate, a tablet?

POST YOUR OWN SHOW ON FIYAH.TV

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 14:24:05

I almost never have a problem with my hand cramping.. My problem usually lies with time management. I can very easily turn something simple that should only take a couple of hours into an all day project. (15+ hours)
Its finding that 'good enough' point and having to stop touching up here and there.

It really depends on the project I'm working on. If I'm doing something new, I love to experiment.

Check out my work and keep up to date with what i'm doing on Facebook.

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 14:47:10

At 12/28/15 12:26 PM, Xango36 wrote: Your hand cramps? What do you use to animate, a tablet?

Yeah, I think it might be the way I hold the pen though. .o.

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

8-9 hours with small breaks thrown in here and there. I do a series of hand stretches and switch between physically drawing and cloring/computer stuff with a mouse so that I'm not drawing continuously to prevent cramps.

I HIGHLY recommend doing the hand strech 's beforehand if you're going to be drawing longer than 4 hours.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-28 22:32:02

At 12/28/15 08:26 PM, Celshaded wrote: 8-9 hours with small breaks thrown in here and there. I do a series of hand stretches and switch between physically drawing and cloring/computer stuff with a mouse so that I'm not drawing continuously to prevent cramps.

I HIGHLY recommend doing the hand strech 's beforehand if you're going to be drawing longer than 4 hours.

So stretching your hand beforehand and not while/after drawing enables you to work longer? I feel a little stupid since I typically do it after I work on something. .o.
Also, when do you usually take breaks? I tend to forget, which I think is why I seem to cramp up easier. :P

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

So stretching your hand beforehand and not while/after drawing enables you to work longer? I feel a little stupid since I typically do it after I work on something. .o.
Also, when do you usually take breaks? I tend to forget, which I think is why I seem to cramp up easier. :P

I do a lot of clean up/inking by hand so I stretch my hands a lot before I start; I saw a chart on tumblr a while back with a bunch of different hand stretches for artists, but I just try and pull/stretch out the muscles that do a lot of the heavier lifting, like the base of my thumb. I also draw really "hard" and have a tendency to squeeze the pen really tight if I'm trying to do precise lines, so I can only ink for so long before it starts to hurt my hand. Stretching before hand really makes a difference; I imagine it's the same as stretching before going for a run or something. I crack my knuckles a lot too, but I don't think you're supposed to do that...

For breaks I estimate I take one every 2 or 3 hours, but I usually set some goal and then take a break afterwards, so for example I might animate/ink/color and then finish an entire shot and take a 15-20 minute break afterwards. If I've been working for 4 or more hours straight, I'll usually stop and force myself to get up and go do something else for an hour (usually videogames or some netflix or something).

I think it varies from artist to artist and it's more about trying to prevent yourself from getting burnt out. Sometimes I'll have a couple crazy days of crunch time (because of work) and will force myself not to draw anything for the weekend or something. That ends up being hard for me though because I still end up feeling guilty for not working on my stuff.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2015-12-29 15:11:45

My hand starts cramping after less than an hour of very precise and accurate drawing with a pen. It happens due to tension in the hand. You need to either draw faster, or less accurately, or just relax your hand, or make sure you rest your elbows on the table at 90 degree angle (very important). I noticed, when I follow these recommendations, I'm able to hold out a bit longer.
I haven't learned to draw with a "free" hand yet, but I believe it takes a lot of time and practice.

Sorry, I don't animate, but I do draw. Maybe that relates somehow.

Response to How many hours do you spend 2016-01-04 10:35:06

For me, I think it mostly depends on how much pressure is on me. With no pressure, I usually work for about 2-3 hours at a time on average, but for those times when the heat is on, I've worked much longer, even up to 16 hours! (with small breaks and a sound recording session)

I just wish I could be more dedicated without the pressure. (sigh) ... seems I'm only really pushed by the necessary fight or flight response, I'm afraid.

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2016-01-04 10:43:22

At 1/4/16 10:35 AM, LightningLion wrote: For me, I think it mostly depends on how much pressure is on me. With no pressure, I usually work for about 2-3 hours at a time on average, but for those times when the heat is on, I've worked much longer, even up to 16 hours! (with small breaks and a sound recording session)

16 hours?? Do you stretch your hands before you work, or are they magic? O:
Sadly though, I'm the opposite- I don't really use pressure despite having a tablet due to my unsteady hand. Sometimes when I decide to take a break, I realize that I have a death grip on my tablet pen so I'm pretty sure I should probably try to get used to pressure. .w.

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2016-01-04 18:11:57

At 1/4/16 10:43 AM, Meowberry wrote: 16 hours?? Do you stretch your hands before you work, or are they magic? O:

That was just once, I think, and not all of that time was spent drawing. A lot of it was compositing, tweening, effects, etc. That being said, I don't remember ever getting hand cramps or anything during a sesh.

Sadly though, I'm the opposite- I don't really use pressure despite having a tablet due to my unsteady hand. Sometimes when I decide to take a break, I realize that I have a death grip on my tablet pen so I'm pretty sure I should probably try to get used to pressure. .w.

Wait, do you mean pressure sensitivity on a drawing tablet? I wasn't talking about that at all, lol. I was referring to pressure as in stress on me to get something done, like a deadline.

BBS Signature

Response to How many hours do you spend 2016-01-04 18:43:30

That was just once, I think, and not all of that time was spent drawing. A lot of it was compositing, tweening, effects, etc. That being said, I don't remember ever getting hand cramps or anything during a sesh.

Oh, yeah that's different. :P Even so, I have actually gotten hand cramps from that kind of stuff but that's just me.

Wait, do you mean pressure sensitivity on a drawing tablet? I wasn't talking about that at all, lol. I was referring to pressure as in stress on me to get something done, like a deadline.

I feel really stupid, my bad. .w. Though, in my defense I got 5 hours of sleep when I read that.

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature