00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Random facts

3,359 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

1 fact per post, offer a random fact about music

I'll start:

A Square wave is a saw wave with the even harmonics deleted (constructed only by odd harmonics. not really "deleted" i guess), so that it only has the odd harmonics.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Random facts 2015-12-12 15:39:28

Have a fact about you.

ur gay.

p.s. ur gay

Response to Random facts 2015-12-12 15:42:21

Refreshing to see a decent thread idea by a new-ish user. I shall contribute.

The song 'Wannabe' by Spice Girls is scientifically proven to be the catchiest song of all time, because of it's recognisable intro. It is followed by 'Mambo No. 5' by Lou Bega and 'Eye of the Tiger' by Survivor.

Source: Mental Floss (before people get all vaginstipated about how I made this up)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-12 15:42:30

Do factoids about instruments count?

Response to Random facts 2015-12-12 17:38:00

At 12/12/15 03:42 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Do factoids about instruments count?

Sure :)

Actually, heres one

This instrument is called the Mahler Hammer

Random facts

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Response to Random facts 2015-12-12 17:39:57

At 12/12/15 05:38 PM, Rennh wrote:

Actually, heres one

Right.

Here's a factoid.
Cannons were used in the percussion section of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

And here's another.
Tchaikovsky actually HATED the 1812 Overture despite having to compose it -- he was commissioned by the Tsar which means, he'd have had his neck on the line if he refused.

Response to Random facts 2015-12-13 01:52:02 (edited 2015-12-13 01:52:55)

In NI Massive there is a hidden wavetable called B-Pulse just under G-Pulse, you can only select it with the arrow buttons.
It was used by several illuminatis to create popular hits.
I take risks telling you this.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-13 09:32:24

Manual automation clips in fl studio are better than lfo waves for two reasons:

More control over the knobs for more precise renderings.

Not a static and boring pulse. Dubstep is better when you know how to manually create trippy wubs.

Even though I hate dubstep, I know how to produce more interesting sounds in dubstep.

Response to Random facts 2015-12-13 12:18:26 (edited 2015-12-13 12:19:57)

Actually, heres one

Mayonnaise is not an instrument

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-13 13:46:46

At 12/13/15 12:18 PM, poinl wrote: Mayonnaise is not an instrument

Spongebob's nose, conversely, is an instrument

Response to Random facts 2015-12-14 16:46:38 (edited 2015-12-14 16:48:26)

At 12/13/15 08:58 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: There was a real song made called 4'33" by John Cage which consists of nothing but silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

Funfact, the piano was funded by his patreons.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-14 23:28:59

Actually, heres one

fact: this means that Gallagher can play a classical instrument and destroy watermelons simultaneously

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-15 13:49:11

heres one about a plugin:

the 2007 batman movie The dark Knight has sound effects created from Zebra2.5 (my favorite and most used plugin :D )

a bank of over 400 presets used in the movie are available in a pack called The dark zebra https://www.u-he.com/cms/118-tdz-news and were made specifically for hans zimmer by request

theres also a customized zebra version called zebraHZ for hans zimmer

Response to Random facts 2015-12-15 14:15:09

Here's a little factoid that may be useful for aspiring timpanists.

Hitting the centre of the drumheads on timpani gives a muffled sound, and it becomes crisper and harsher the closer you get to the edge.

With many thanks to @Camoshark and @Jiimaan for explaining this to me.

Response to Random facts 2015-12-16 00:20:47

At 12/13/15 08:58 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: There was a real song made called 4'33" by John Cage which consists of nothing but silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

"In Futurum" by the predominantly unknown Erwin Schulhoff consists of a fun assortment of rests and miscellaneous symbols: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfOG0D39eo

"Sonata Erotica" is a work by the same composer "in which a soprano spends several minutes faking a carefully notated orgasm" She is also instructed to pee in a bucket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6-0DDmXFk

These are just a few examples of songs that are also real. This is why I have faith in everybody.

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-18 19:35:30

If you have a tape delay plugin like nastydla you can automate the delay time between 0ms - 30ms for a truly organic chorus. I honesty don't chorus any other way!

Response to Random facts 2015-12-18 23:26:07

Everyone into classical music knows about bassoons and contrabassoons, but did you know that there used to also exist tenoroons and altoroons?

I need to leave this thread before I go spamming facts to an early grave...

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-18 23:28:53

the tritone interval (three steps) was banned from musical performances in the Middle Ages because its evil sound was thought to be related to the devil. it's now most commonly associated with heavy metal.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-19 17:41:34

At 12/18/15 11:26 PM, samulis wrote: Everyone into classical music knows about bassoons and contrabassoons, but did you know that there used to also exist tenoroons and altoroons?

Were there also sopranoroons, or is that just called an oboe?

Response to Random facts 2015-12-19 17:50:33 (edited 2015-12-19 17:52:59)

Pyrophones exist, an untapped market kept back by our lawsuit-happy society. Society! *shakes fist*

(seriously, you shouldn't try sticking a propane torch inside a really long metal tube, it doesn't make an awesome noise and you could injure your cat or something)

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-19 23:09:04

At 12/19/15 05:41 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
At 12/18/15 11:26 PM, samulis wrote: Everyone into classical music knows about bassoons and contrabassoons, but did you know that there used to also exist tenoroons and altoroons?

Were there also sopranoroons, or is that just called an oboe?

Theoretically, yes. Actually, dunno. I'd say at some point there was probably a sopranoroon some crazy instrument maker created; instrument design is kinda like biological evolution- every path is followed to its logical extreme somewhere, then the elements of it that survive are kept (e.g. trombones originally had SATB components, but now only the tenor form is actually used- the bass trombone isn't actually a true bass trombone). The oboe family, despite having a double-reed, is actually different, descending from Shawms rather than Dulcians, I believe. Dulcians are cool- the Renaissance ancestor of the bassoon. :D

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-20 01:05:27

"Lowercase" is a minimalist genre of music which uses extremely quiet sounds or sounds that have to be amplified to the human hearing spectrum...which results in listening to practically nothing.

"Extratone" is a sub-genre of speedcore that speeds something up to around 1000bpm, making it practically indiscernible from the original content and creating a noise almost uniform to the point of being a single tone.

Isn't life so meaningful?

BBS Signature

Response to Random facts 2015-12-20 23:11:01 (edited 2015-12-20 23:12:19)

Heres one regarding finding actual work for producers:

Steam greenlight https://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

Has games currently in development. Games that are "greenlit" will be available through the actual client steam.

If you think your work is quality enough, you can go through in-development games and try to find the contact emails for the developers and send them demos they might want to use in their game.

The games are both going to be available for thousands of users to play and are still in the development, the perfect time to send them demos.

Perhaps even actual sound design demos like weapon noises etc.

Response to Random facts 2015-12-21 02:36:39

At 12/15/15 01:49 PM, Rennh wrote: the 2007 batman movie The dark Knight has sound effects created from Zebra2.5 (my favorite and most used plugin :D )

That's a really cool one!

Response to Random facts 2015-12-21 02:42:34

At 12/18/15 11:28 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: the tritone interval (three steps) was banned from musical performances in the Middle Ages because its evil sound was thought to be related to the devil. it's now most commonly associated with heavy metal.

Also a shit tone of edm these days.. just not as quickly as in metal! lol

Response to Random facts 2015-12-21 04:45:08

With the new Star Wars movie, here's my music related fact:
When John Williams wrote the "Cantina Band" melody, he thought of how would aliens sound if they would try to imitate jazz from the golden swing era? After coming up with the melody, Lucas and Williams needed a name for that new "alien" style of jazz, so they named it "jizz"... -_-

So, here, fact; there is a style of music called JIZZ.

Response to Random facts 2015-12-21 06:46:51

3xOsc doesn't perform anti-aliasing in real time but only while rendering. If you're curious how aliasing sounds, slide a square wave or saw wave all the way to the highest tone.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature