New Topic Respond to this Topic
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 00:02:30 Reply

As some of you may have noticed, the new pieces are up! That means it's voting time!

As before, you have three days to vote - so by the 9th of December at 11:59 EST, I will need all of your votes!

Ground Rules:

1. You may vote for up to 3 pieces.
2. You may not vote for your own piece or state who made a piece - or yours and the other piece will be disqualified (no cheating, please).
3. When you vote, clearly state which piece is your 1st pick, your 2nd pick, and your 3rd pick - they will get 3, 2, and 1 point, respectively. (1st pick = 3 points, 2nd pick = 2 points, 3rd pick = 1 point)
4. Please PM all of your votes to me so that they can be tallied anonymously.
5. You may only vote if you submitted a piece.

Once again, everyone is highly encouraged to leave a bit of critical feedback on all of the pieces - after all, you'll likely get plenty in return, and everyone worked hard on their own pieces too! Don't forget to write some on your own piece(s) if you do this - revealing which piece is yours kinda ruins the whole "anonymity" thing, and that way you can analyze your own difficulties as well!

Remember: Vote according to the theme, the challenge, and the quality of the piece! Did the piece fit the theme well? Did the artist really push themselves to take the challenge in full? Did they make a fantabulous piece that you feel shows genuine skill? I wouldn't recommend voting *quite* as much according to the theme in this round - I made a mistake and didn't post the theme in the first post of the round's thread, so some people may not have noticed.

In any case, the submissions are here!

Thanks to everyone for submitting! The victor will soon be decided for this round, and then we'll have the final theme!

People who submitted: @BlueOceans @PeterSatera @EverReverb @Zechnition @Septyrikon @frootza @OkamiChitarra @Azhthar @LucidShadowDreamer

NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
N77
N77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 02:47:39 Reply

HOORAAH! Voting time!

Good luck to all who submitted, may the odds be ever in your favor!

(I'd like to publicly say, though, that I can't seem to stop listening to Track 8.)

I've got the funky flow like Edgar Allan Poe.

Azhthar
Azhthar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 04:55:39 Reply

Wow! All the submissions I heard so far are pretty damn good! It seems that everybody here has spend a ton of work on this round. It will be pretty hard to vote here, since I like every track so far. I nearly feel ashamed now about the piece I submitted... It will definitely be interesting to see the scores at the end how people were voting ;)

BlueOceans
BlueOceans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician

I like most of the songs! It seems that most people had a very similar interpretation of the theme.

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 13:14:48 Reply

Dang, I LOST!

Just kidding pushing through! All the tracks are loading I am super stoked to check them out!

Listen to the musique. Music a Universal Language.
I'm available for guitar/composition/FL Studio Mastery lessons via Skype, all levels accepted. I love to teach.

BBS Signature
frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 14:18:26 Reply

Feedbacks

A lot of different interpretations this round! From the Celtic, to the Western, to the jazz, to the quirky! Fun listening through everything as always!

1)

In terms of catchniness, I love it. It's mechanic, but I also am trying to remember that some participants might be trying to bridge their themes for the entirety of the contest. Looking at the picture, I can vibe to it. Instrumental choices didn't seem to match, but that isn't important! I feel like this guy wrote the piece as "these people are having a nice time at a bar", which comes out.

2)

I Interesting! I get a western vibe here! I feel like that detuned piano is cool, and I really like the subtle use of the acoustic guitar. It had this symphonic aspect to it. I do sense less of a "Bar" theme, but none-the-less, it is great. Liking the slow evolution into the epic build up with the bells. It's an emotionally complex track, and everyone will interpret the art as they see fit! Would have loved a more mysterious ending.

3)

Trying to figure out which sound that odd crowd/waves effect in the intro came from in the soundfont! It reminds me SO much of Windwaker, so in a way I'm grasping into some Irish much, and if this was an Irish bar, I could DEFINITELY hear that being expressed. Okay, now I hear clearly at the end that it was an actual wave effect! Very cool and Celtic!

4)

The left hand piano chords sounds slightly mechanized, the voicings could have been given way more color! I'm feeling a great buildup, but oddly, it broke away, and wow it's coming back. Oh my! It's my dream come true, the track tricked the hell out of me. The minimal aspect of this is extremely refreshing!

5)

Okay here comes the jazz. You didn't add a swing on the ride pattern, BUT THAT's OKAY, jazz doesn't always need to swing. It reminds me of "The Seatbelts", (Cowboy Bebop) soundtrack. It is phrased kind of like a harmonica, yet also a guitar (the primary melody). I really like the simple jazz piano, think the bass could have been bumped up a little. MMM! Tasty chromatic chord changes. I can't say I didn't enjoy this guy! I enjoyed the cadence ;)

6)

I'm feeling a Christmas-vibe here! I can imagine the bar being in total dance mode if this song was playing on the jukebox! The articulations and humanistic touches the musician gave here gave it a nice vibe. I really like the percussion panning ideas. It's definitely a song that you can groove to!

7)

The bongo came in on an odd beat, and the snare sounds kind of strange. I like when the tempo picks up! I don't know if you would even call this real jazz, I wish that the theme of the horns developed more. It's like someone came in and crashed the party or the drummer left the stage to grab a beer. Cool vibes!

8)

Whoever milked these soundfonts should consider investing in a cow farm. Because you can freakin' MILK! It's such an AWESOME arrangement. You legitimately must update this with some better VSTs. It embodies to an overwhelming degree how it feels to be at a bar grooving to some random jazz/fusion band. When the drum solo hits, it hit me hard. Excellent freakin' job!

9)

Very quiet track, but I like that. The quandary which comes with this whole VST is that when you are writing jazz it's tough to get the kick in a "feathering" the bass drum position. Love all the piano voicings and the humanistic touch to it. In this case the kick sounds slightly overpowering. Interesting arrangement though!

10)

Enjoying the push and pull of the tempo! It was a nice, fitting and relaxing track. Cool waltz-y feel to it as well! Piano would have been cool with some mini chord arpeggios of some kind, you know? Instead of hitting the chord as a unit, splitting the hit up in a natural way.

11)

Awesome piano! Like extremely awesome voicings I freaking love all of this so far. I think the percussion, sounds odd? The drums could have been made a bit more interesting because at the moment they don't feel as fitting as the very human piano sounds I'm hearing. The blues-y turn-arounds are cool. The runs at 2:20 were VERY pretty. I liked that a lot. Makes me happy listening to this! Very seatbelts-y too but with a strong emphasis on their slow jazz.

Overall, via listening, I learned a few new things and from writing the feedback too. You can REALLY do a lot with horn/brass/woodwind soundfonts that I didn't even know about. I've been trying to write a lot of Ska/Big Band mockups for so long and felt lost at being unable to find an affordable realistic brass VST. After hearing what a lot of you did, I'm really certainly impressed.

Listen to the musique. Music a Universal Language.
I'm available for guitar/composition/FL Studio Mastery lessons via Skype, all levels accepted. I love to teach.

BBS Signature
EverReverb
EverReverb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 14:31:38 Reply

Great submissions everyone! Had lots of fun listening through each of them :) This is certainly going to be an interesting round ^^
I shall post reviews of each track when I have proper time for it.

Azhthar
Azhthar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 15:55:28 Reply

So... as I already said the track in this round were just awesome. So there will be much less critical points than in my reviews from last round ;) I didn´t write anything about the production (except in some points where it was obvious) since the mixing/mastering of everybody was actually pretty good! Have fun with your reviews ;)

Track 1:

I have to say the intro irritated me a bit but when the melody starts it just becomes a really nice uplifting piece and I really love when this harmonica like sounds come in. Damn catchy! The drumwork is really cool in this one. Nice beats everywhere. I wouldn´t really think about a bar theme here but when I look at the picture it fits and it gives it a much more positive mood than I had first looking at it. It´s amazing how music can change impressions...

Track 2:

Really interesting track! I have to regret that this was one of my four favourites at the end but the arrangement felt a bit weird too be honest. It´s like all these different parts are quite awesome on their own but they don´t really fit together very well. I have to regret that my tracks often have the same problem when I try to tell a story instead of keeping musical form. So I tried to imagine a story to that track. Some western like bar thingy with mysterious gunmen and a love story inbetween ;)

Track 3:

Like a bar for sailormen. When I got to track 3 the first time I really thought: „Damn all these tracks are awesome!“ The mood here is really irish folk. I even could feel the bordhran here. Melodies, arangement, choice of instruments and everything great here! Another one of my favourites.

Track 4:

This is a really nice calm piano piece. I love when the groovy rhythm starts here. It didn´t feel that much bar as in some other tracks but it fits to the picture and it could definitely be played by a bar pianist ;) A more prominent melody would have been nice but I like the minimalistic approach, too. It sometimes felt a bit too mechanic for a solo piano piece but I guess it´s impossible to give a soundfont solo piano a real humanized touch.

Track 5:

This is one groovy blues! I love it. Nice little licks and solos and stuff. I hate to say that the problem with this one is, that it is too long... I mean I like it and it´s well produced with a lot of feeling for this music but for five minutes it´s a little bit repititive. I could watch some blues band playing and improvising for hours on the same chords and love to do this by myself sometimes too be honest but for a recording it feels a bit too long. I think this is just some minor flaw, though ;) Awesome track with definitely a lot of bar inside anyway.

Track 6:

Another really catchy uplifting track. I think it might be the same harmonica I already loved in track one. It has not the typical dive bar atmosphere from some other tracks here but it definitely fits into a retro rpg kind of bar. I really like the break at 1:44 because it came right at the perfect point before the track was getting too repititive, although the fadeout of the drums might have come a bit too sudden. Any critics? Hmmm... Maybe the fast arpeggios could be a bit less mechanic. Otherwise nice track with really catchy good mood melodies!

Track 7:

This one sounds actually pretty realistic and has definitely an awesome human touch. Love the end by the way. The whing sound is just awesome! As playing a bit of bass by myself I really love the bass solo at the beginning even with all the upright bass glisses and everything... The percussion also sounds pretty cool with these woodblock like sounds. The beat is also pretty groovy. The main problem with this track is that it´s a bit too short. The things which are there are quite awesome and nothing is repeated, which gives it actually the feeling that it is longer that it is (and indeed this was probably more work than to just repeat ABABABABCQ).

Track 8:

Dammit! I dont´know what to write here instead of just plain praising the awesomeness of this track. I mean not only that you managed to just make an awesome perfectly arranged psychedelic rock piece in really every instrument. No you made this with soundfonts and actually made them sound like slightly bitcrushed real instruments!!! Even if I would love too hear it played by a real band I think it couldn´t sound better than this version (And that from somebody like me who always complains about too less humanizing in tracks!). When I heard this track voting wasn´t actually that hard anymore. If this track doesn´t win... I don´t know...

Track 9:

Harmonies and jazzy feeling are interesting in this track. It definitely fits the bar theme. Maybe a slightly darker, sinister bar. I have to say, the mix isn´t really good here, compared to the other tracks. It feels much more quiet than the other tracks. The drums are way too loud and overpowering everything and there are some frequency clashes between the synth and the piano. Was it actually mastered at all? Otherwise it has some human feeling in it but maybe the timing could be slightly better at some points. The arrangement felt also a bit repitititive and the end is a bit sudden... Anyway... keep it up.

Track 10:

Very melancholic... It almost has some christmas feeling but maybe that´s just me. I like the uplifting/rising section at around 40 secs. Also a very bar like music thingy. It feels a bit too short though... Like in the last track the end is also a bit too sudden. The track has a really nice flow which has something from a group improvisation. I think on the other hand the arrangement could have been improved a bit by working some of the parts a bit more out and if some structure (like with a chorus or something or an ABABABABCQZ structure I complained about above) could have made this track a bit longer and more consistent. It´s just a small point of critique and I know that it´s much more work to produce a 1:30 track without much repitition than 3 mins of plain ABABAB... but sometimes the listener just expects this kind of form.

Track 11:

Awesome smooth jazzy start! Love this one from the first second. This is definitely also one of my favourites this round! It just flows very groovy through some 4:30 mins without getting repititive at all. There are so many details and changes and everything. Damn this must have been loads of work to produce this track. All the transitions work perfect even if the new part has a competely different mood. I would have loved too hear the theme from the beginning a bit more often but I´m always happy when it appears again at the end of the track. What could I say more? It´s just a really cool piece of music...

Azhthar
Azhthar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 15:56:17 Reply

At 12/7/15 02:18 PM, frootza wrote: Feedbacks

Damn you were faster again ;)

BlueOceans
BlueOceans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-07 16:28:59 Reply

1. I like how one lead instrument fades into the other, as well as how one melody seamlessly transitions into the next. The song is catchy and the melodies are memorable. The bass begins to sound repetitive two minutes into the song. The snare sounds strange; maybe the sound should have been shortened. The kick should be louder. The soundfont choices sound random. That’s not a bad thing but the song would sound better if this person chose the soundfonts more carefully

2. This song fits the theme very well and I like the choice of soundfonts. The mix is mostly clear and the drums have an appropriate volume. Sometimes one or two instruments get drowned out but this person still did a good job considering the amount of instruments that had to be mixed. I liked the transition at 3:48 in which a lot of tension built up and was then released. I love the rhythm. The melodies compliment the rhythm and drums beautifully. I like how different instruments come and go seamlessly. I didn’t like the intro or outro. Maybe there is something that I don’t understand about the intro, but it sounds like it was composed separately from the rest of the song. The outro feels very strange as well. The ending for this type of song shouldn’t give a sense of conclusiveness. I think I listened to this song the most because it’s very complex.

3. This sounds like an adventurous-anime theme. It reminds me of one of my favorite hunter x hunter songs. This doesn’t fit the theme but I love the soundfont choices and melodies! I like the accordion’s role and I don’t mind the repetitiveness of it, mainly because of how short the song is. I’m satisfied with the short length because the song successfully depicts a specific setting and has a clear indentity. The melodies are very simple yet effective. This is one of my favorites.

4. I like the mood that the melodies create. There is enough variety in the piano melodies to keep me interested. Adding the bass was a good idea because this piano soundfont has terrible bass frequencies. I like the transition at 2:19 with the bass; it was almost seamless. I think strictly following the time signature in a piano based song was a mistake. It sounds unnatural. In addition, this particular soundfont makes it difficult to change the softness of the notes, which is essential for humazing piano composition. Overall, I really like the composition; this would be a great song if this person wasn’t forced to use this soundfont.

5. I like the song but I think it’s very repetitive. I would have liked to hear more melodic ideas. I love the distortion effects. I can still tell that the affected instruments are soundfonts, but they have a much higher quality sound as a result. I wish the kick was louder. It gets blocked by the distorted piano chords sometimes. I think the crash soundfont should have been shortened. It doesn’t sound good when it’s played a lot during the chord changes. The piano solo is my favorite part of the song. The ending was conclusive but I would have liked to hear something that differed more from the rest of the song.

6. This song has so many positive emotions. The melodies express joy and absolute happiness. I can imagine people dancing to it. I like how the bass has a melody of its own while playing simultaneously with other melodies. The strummed piano notes sound interesting and add a good amount of depth to the song. I love +2 key changes and it worked well here. I also like the tempo change at the end. I think this person should have added more effects to the instruments so they don’t sound so soundfonty.

7. The drums sound realistic, and I like the reverb effects. Unfortunately, besides for the humanistic drums, this song doesn’t have enough depth. I was very surprised when I listened to it for the first time and it ended so soon.

8. Like track 5, I like the distortion effects. It makes the melodic soundfonts sound 5x better. The distortion on the guitar is one of my favorite aspects of the song. I like the choice of drums; they sound very realistic and non-repetitive. The drum solo is incredible and, wow, I love the outro. The melodies aren’t memorable but I like how frequently they change with the chords. I think this person did the best job at manipulating the soundfonts’ sound.

9. This song is poorly mixed and that makes it difficult to judge. The hi hats and crashes stand out more than anything else even though that probably wasn’t intended. I think the use of reverb is excessive. I like the mood that the piano and bass create. The idea for the outro isn’t bad, but it was poorly executed. I think the song should have been louder before it transitioned into the ending.

10. This sounds like a song I would hear at the end of a movie. I like the emotion that the melodies and harmonies create. The piano is way too loud at times. The outro is not conclusive and the song ended prematurely. If this person was running low on time, I think he or she should have copied and pasted the climax and played it one more time before ending the song.

11. I really like the piano composition, and I like how the piano is the focus of the track without ever sounding too mechanical. The emotions that the piano depicts constantly changes throughout the song. All the transitions are great, and the outro is very creative and sounds unorthodox. The only complaint I have about this track is that the drums sound very random and they become annoying to listen to by the second half of the song. I think a simpler drum beat would have been much more effective.

There are so many great tracks here! I can easily decide the first two I want to vote for, but the third one is difficult.

LexaHergon
LexaHergon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-08 05:28:57 Reply

Man, you all did it again !
Not a single bad piece on this round either. Even If I'm not taking part on this round, I'm still keeping an eye (more like both ears) on the contest, nice job everyone. My vote doesn't count here, but still I would like to point at my favorite pieces on this second round (in no particular order) :

The "western meets gothic" Track 2
The "pirate / celtic" Track 3
The "jazzy trip-hop" Track 9

Good luck to all contestants.

I have the coolest forum sig ever, but it refuses to show up.

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-08 12:09:23 Reply

Heh, sorry for being a bit late. I've been a bit busy these past days. However, here are some short reviews! (Disclaimer: I'm too tired to check any spelling or grammar. You'll probably be able to understand it nonetheless).

Track 1:

Very interesting approach. Sounds like something I’d expect to hear in a ps1 game, actually. The melodies are rather nice, as are the instrument choices. The transitions are solid, and the listeners interest is kept up constantly, through additions here and there. The rhythm seems a bit repetitive to me, and I can tell that the sounds are not of top tier quality (duh). That said, the mix feels rather good. Funnily enough, this track makes me think more of an adventure than a bar. I guess I can kinda see it if it’s some kind of open bar, at a vacation spot though. This is really good as dance music too, so parts of the track could sit well in a more modern dance bar. Either way, interesting track!

Track 2:

Hahha, a very interesting start. Sounds a bit like some dark classical track. But then there is a transition that feels a bit off to me. The next part sounds really arabic and interesting though! Once again, I’m not entirely sure how the bar theme fits. If it’s some kind of underground Egyptian wine bar setting, I might buy the concept though. The melodies and instruments sure are interesting, as is the rhythm and atmosphere. The dynamics and the differing volumes of the intruments are really well pulled off. Overall, good job!

Track 3:

Ooh, now this sounds nice! The mood is naturally very medieval, and rather happy, which makes the piece fun to listen to. This fits the theme perfectly. The instrument choices are really refreshing, as are the chords and melodies. I love the waves too. This is definitely one of my favorites from this round. I guess it could be slightly longer, but I only really say that because I like what’s already there so much XD Well done!

Track 4:

The piano sound is pretty good here! It’s produced to create a rather pleasant sound. The melodies and harmonies are also interesting, and the rhythm is catchy. That said, the piano sounds rather mechanical. It’s nice that there’s some volume change occasionally, but that too doesn’t sound all too human. When I think of a bar setting, I’m thinking of something moving and rather lively. That said, the slightly sad atmosphere that’s hanging around the track, could reflect upon a person who likes to visit pubs and drink alone. The rhythm suggests a bit differently though.

Track 5:

Alright. Time for the longest track of the round. The intro already captivates me, with its catchy rhythm and melody. What impresses me even more is how the intruments sound like they’d be higher quality than sound fonts. That said, the first melody isn’t the most original one I’ve heard in my life, and it takes a while for the track to develop. Around the 2 minute mark, interesting things start to happen though. I like it when the piano comes in. The panning seems a bit odd to me though, as the piano is panned all the way to the right, which makes it sound a bit weird with heaphones, and the focus of the track shifts entirely to the right ear XD
The track doesn’t develop all too much in the chords and the rhythm either; only more melodies and intruments are added. Good thing that those additions are really sweet!
So the strength is in the solid composition and the quality the intrument sounds seem to have. The ending is pretty cool too. Also, this definitely catches the jazzy bar vibe. Of the flip side, some of the panning felt a bit unbalanced, and the track could’ve either been a bit shorter, or a bit more explorative. Overall, really good job!

Track 6:

Oh wow. If Lunacy Echo would’ve participated, I would’ve thought that this track’d be his. Really sweet and happy feel. The effects used are really neat, the instruments sound tasty, the melodies are great, the chords make you happy. The rhythm has some changes to it (especially in one awesome spot), and that key change (modulation) does wonders. The intrument choices are really good too. The percussion and bass drive the piece, along with everything else. When the piano plays chords, it does sound a bit mechanical, but the delay/echo with the reverb on it sounds very nice. This is a track that I’d love to hear being played at a dance bar, when everyone is having a good time. Awesome work here!

Track 7:

During the first seconds, I almost though this was a leftover from the previous round XD
Now this is an interesting blend of instruments. The bass playing the main melody for the first half, with two entirely different kinds of percussion backing it up. Very cool! And the second half is just full of creativity. The piece is not afraid to experiment, both with what feels like impromptu rhythm, and combinations of instruments and chords. Really progressive, jazzy feel. But whyyy, why does it end so quickly? I would’ve loved to hear more. The mix is good too. Fits the theme perfectly, while blending in a mystery/detective movie vibe too. Brilliant, but short.

Track 8:

Boom! This track immediately captures the listeners attention. With a strong bass, cool percussion, and a nice distorded vibraphone-esque instrument. The mood is perfect, and the melodies are rather nice. The composition doesn’t get boring either, but it keepson developing. The guitar sounds surprisingly good for being a soundfont. The mix is okay, albeit a bit muddy at points. The drum solo is pretty neat. I think that the atmosphere really gives the listener a sense of being at a bar. The dramatic ending is a nice touch. Good job!

Track 9:

Heh, seems like the jazzy pieces are rolling in. It’s going to be really difficult to choose my top 3 this round... The jazz here seems pretty standard, but that doesn’t mean anything bad. This is just what I’d like to hear at a bar too. The synth is a really nice touch! I feel it’s a bit vide and muddy though, and takes over the mix a little, drowning the piano to some extent, which is a shame, as the piano sounds so good. Man, this piece ended quickly! It’s a bit short, but it’s really interesting and cool to listen to. Good job!

Track 10:

The atmosphere is clear on the first note. The chord choices are sweet, and the melody is very uplifting. This sounds a bit more like a rock ballad to me, than something you’d hear at a bar. The first part sounds more like a bar, but it evolves from that. Despite that, I can definitely see friends laughing together and sharing a drink hearing this, almost as if this was played at the end of a movie (especially a Disney one). The tension building is fantastic in this piece. Great work!

Track 11:

This one has a jazzy intro for sure. I’m impressed by the fact that the piano in this piece doesn’t really feel mechanical, to the most part. It feels much more free, like one would expect a piano at a jazz bar, or a pub to sound. That said, unfortunately, the same thing can’t be said for the percussion. At the start, it sounds okay, but it gets boring, not to speak of weird after a while. Luckily, the sax comes in and saves the day. While I like the living piano, I think that it’s the saxophone melodies that make the piece. It sounds surprisingly good for being a soundfont too! I’m beginning to hear some repetition in the piece as well. Turns out it isn’t completely random. I like how the end ties to the beginning as well. Although the drums could use some improvement, and I would’ve liked to hear a bass in this piece, I think you did a good job for the most part!

Yet another great round, everyone! I'll take another listen, and determine who to vote for now. This will be difficult...
Good luck ;)

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 03:20:29 Reply

Well, everyone! Voting is closed! I have to say, I certainly wasn't expecting the result here. You'll see by the end of tomorrow, along with the final round!

Stuff.

BBS Signature
Septyrikon
Septyrikon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 04:40:34 Reply

At 12/10/15 03:20 AM, SkyeWint wrote: Well, everyone! Voting is closed! I have to say, I certainly wasn't expecting the result here. You'll see by the end of tomorrow, along with the final round!

Uh, what? I didn't vote yet..

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 06:34:09 Reply

At 12/10/15 04:40 AM, Septyrikon wrote:
At 12/10/15 03:20 AM, SkyeWint wrote: Well, everyone! Voting is closed! I have to say, I certainly wasn't expecting the result here. You'll see by the end of tomorrow, along with the final round!

Same! 0_o I've been overloaded with work and I was going to do it Friday.

BBS Signature
Septyrikon
Septyrikon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 06:48:08 Reply

At 12/10/15 06:34 AM, PeterSatera wrote:

Not sure if there was a deadline given, I don't see it anyway if there is. I was gonna do my votes today actually, so I'll just do it anyway and send them to Skye.

BBS Signature
Septyrikon
Septyrikon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 07:06:03 Reply

Track 1:

I like the drums, but mostly in the middle part. I’m a sucker for a solid beat, and the broken down rhythm in this doesn’t really appeal to me. That being said, the overall melody is good, although the piano sounds like it could have used some more varied sounds, maybe some notes being shifted up an octave. I don’t really see how this relates to the bar theme, so that is something of a minus. Composition and mixing sound great to me. I like the outro, even though it’s kinda out of left field.

Track 2:

The intro and the honkytonk piano is not really appealing to me. I see the idea of a more western-esque sound, even though the painting is more modern. Oh Lord that guitar at 1:03 is LOUD. That should have been fixed. I like the melody progression, it feels very video-gamey, as do a lot of the songs in this, maybe that’s got something to do with the soundfont more so than the contestants. Again at around 2:22 something is really loud, possibly the same guitar. The build-up from ~3:30 doesn’t really resolve to anything, just silence and then the same melody again. Ending is a little meh, and surprisingly uplifting compared to the rest of the song.

Track 3:

A nice melody, I’m not hearing the connection to the artwork though. For those who read my round 1 comments, you’ll know that I think that’s a big no-no. There is variety, with the individual instruments having their own moments, but for some reason it just seems like a whole lot of the same, I’m not sure why. This track definitely has its own identity, which is great and within that it’s really well done, mixing, composition and all, but it’s just not really what the artwork inspires in me.

Track 4:

The fretless bass really brings me back to FFVIII, and that’s not at all a bad thing, Love the music in that game. I guess the artists interpretation of the bar setting is way different than mine, based on this track, because I sense a kind of trepidation and unease in here. It’s not at all a happy tune I feel, which I can’t deduct points for, but it’s interesting how different people interpret the theme. Composition is good, I like the highs and lows of this, but I don’t really feel like there’s any progression. I would have liked to hear a wider range of instruments, just a bass and piano seems a little lacklustre, Honestly, a piano on its own would have been better in my opinion, if you’re going for that sombre, moody feel.

Track 5:

Straight off, Rhodes piano. That’s good. Definitely something I hear when I think of a bar setting. Drums are okay, there could have been more variation, and a swing, like someone else said above, could have been interesting. Overall good composition, pretty standard blues-y progression, which is fine, as long as the solo-ing is interesting enough which it kind of is. The guitar-y part is okay, although it’s all (gonna make a musical theory-feel out of myself here) fifth notes, you know like on a guitar, same fret two adjacent strings? Not sure if that’s what it’s called, but that’s what it sounds like to me. Piano is good, like the solo stuff there. Ending is okay, maybe a little out of the blue, but I think it resolves okay with the final chord.

Track 6:

This immediately sounds like the intro to some high-school anime or something (not that I really would know, don’t watch a lot of that, but that’s the vibe I get.) The trumpet seems a little misplaced, I think a different instrument would have suited the song better. I really, really like the melody in this track however, and I suppose it could fit in the bar theme, kinda, but it’s a stretch. Again, artists’ impression and all that. I’ve nothing really to say about the composition, it’s pretty much flawless. The only minor thing I find odd is the drums fading out at ~1:40 is way too sudden, should have been dragged over 2 bars not a half, which is what it sounds like.

Track 7:

Really, really love the slow groove. That’s pretty dead on in terms of the theme to me. Unfortunately it’s kinda ruined by the up-tempo stuff later on. I know that’s what jazz often does, but this slow, almost sleeping groove really hit me hard. The Rhodes piano, good choice, like track 5, I like that a lot. Unlike track 5, it does sounds very mechanical, not sure there’s much to do about it with the composition here, since resampling is not allowed and all, but it’s definitely a minus. Overall I really like this track though, fits the theme really well, and it’s interesting enough that the minor flaws it has can be overlooked.

Track 8:

Great composition, really like the distorted Rhodes. The saxophone and guitar sound a little mechanical, not sure if you could have done something about it, but the work you did with them is nonetheless great, lots of effects that mask the fact that they’re not real. Drums are very intricate, but again not really human enough that it’s 100% believable. Really nails the theme for me, and just sounds good overall.
Track 9:

Cymbals overall are too loud. After listening to the other songs, you kinda feel like you wanna turn this way up, but the ride and clicks from the snare are way too loud for that, really. The pad or strings or whatever it is, are very reverbed, too much in fact. It just becomes some blur of noise that really doesn’t do anything for the track. There are a lot of good ideas here, but the execution isn’t really up to par unfortunately.

Track 10:

Really good track overall. Lots of compositional golden nuggets everywhere, nothing to put my finger on in that department, but it is a little short. This definitely fits the theme, and there’s just really nothing to say about this except that it’s really good! Me being me, I perhaps would have liked this more if there was some overarching melody or structure to this, but that’s nitpicking.

Track 11:

The intro reminds me of a Final Fantasy game, in fact after listening to this several times, the whole thing sounds like it would fit perfectly on the FFIX OST. Something about the effects on the piano and the composition just screams that game. Drums are quite anonymous, and a little bland. Again, I do like my solid beats, so that’s a small minus in my book, but otherwise this song nails pretty much everything else dead on. The lack of a bass is noticeable, but not a terrible loss for the song.

BBS Signature
BlueOceans
BlueOceans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician

:O I wonder if this means that track 8 didn't get first. I felt sure that it would win.

I'll wait until the round 3 thread is posted before submitting my song to NG in case people are still able to vote.

BlueOceans
BlueOceans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 09:39:48 Reply

At 12/10/15 06:48 AM, Septyrikon wrote:
Not sure if there was a deadline given, I don't see it anyway if there is. I was gonna do my votes today actually, so I'll just do it anyway and send them to Skye.

There was a deadline given, but it was posted above the rules:
"As before, you have three days to vote - so by the 9th of December at 11:59 EST, I will need all of your votes!"

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 12:40:02 Reply

As BlueOceans mentioned, there was indeed a deadline on the first post here. *that said*, since the two of you are the only ones who hadn't voted, I will accept your votes as long as they are before midnight EST tonight. Because I'm going to be writing up the thread for the final round. And that's when the winner is announced.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician

At 12/10/15 09:39 AM, BlueOceans wrote:
At 12/10/15 06:48 AM, Septyrikon wrote:
There was a deadline given, but it was posted above the rules:
"As before, you have three days to vote - so by the 9th of December at 11:59 EST, I will need all of your votes!"

Ah shit.. :/ It went up on the 7th, and then 2 days later votings over, damn it. I never realised, it's a shame because its unfair for those who have voted.

EDIT

I just read your post skye. I will do it now. i dont want people to have an unfair chance because you cant vote for yourself.

Apologies to those who are delayed by me.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 13:41:43 Reply

At 12/10/15 12:43 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Ah shit.. :/ It went up on the 7th, and then 2 days later votings over, damn it. I never realised, it's a shame because its unfair for those who have voted.

just %@

No worries. I posted right are midnight, so I thought that the full 72 hours would be enough (like last time). In any case, the results will be up tonight!

Stuff.

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 13:58:39 Reply

So here's my reviews:

Track 1.
This is a nice upbeat track. And it has an ex excellent catchy groove behind it. I'd actually like to hear the artists thoughts behind this piece, because I may be missing some sort of tale because although the track is very good, I personally find it hard to place in a bar scene. Whether a modern bar, old or classical bar etc. I'm not sure if it's a sitar or something at the start, but I felt that instrument choice didn't seem to fit for what we were doing. Later in the track though it finds it's footing, with catchy themes from the tuned percussion and its nice to hear some of the harmonica. I dunno, maybe something like this could work if we had a montage of two pool players, but other than that I found it hard to picture this together, and the sitar like instrument made it feel like the track belonged to different origin. Its a great track, just lacked to pull the concept of the bar.

Track 2.
The western approach is different to what most have done, and it's a very narrative driven track. However, I think that the track even though it is driven doesn't portray the story well, creating a track which seems to get lost in strive losing the portrayal of a 'bar'. Having the instruments jump from guitar to honkytonk is different, but I dont think it helps illustrate the bar. Instead it creates a contrasting break, which makes it hard to listen to as an isolated track. Some of the instruments are also too loud in areas, and the bass seems to love its weight in parts. The tracks build seems to also lead to little and could do with some sort of climatic resolve.

Track 3.
This track is great, however I honestly felt that it was part of a sailing ship rather than a bar. The starting of the waves sound suggested this as well as instrumentation choice, and when the flute came in to create a theme it almost encouraged a shipping decking dance too while the crew worked. I think if the waves wern't in I would have given this track a greater priority among my choices of favorites. It certainly has a great feeling of togetherness and collective people enjoying themselves, and possibly getting drunk beyond belief. For that this still is one of my favorites hitting those right moments.

Track 4.
A nice track, however I felt the piano did walk about too much for me, rather than find a theme and ground us into a situation. Eventually when the quicker more dramatic piano theme comes in I felt it started to pull away from the bar concept. I was listening hard to latch onto something that provoke an emotion or concept, and it was only nearer the end piano which I started to feel a theme coming to the forefront but by then the track was fading out. The piano is a safe choice, but with the consistent walking I honestly wanted to hear something which would break up the tempo and versify the track, change the mood and create something to round it off with. Its a nice track, it just lacks a bit of direction.

Track 5.
A cool track, sounds like a game track. It has the bar theme indefinitely. I found it that it was a nice wandering track, especially with it's repetitive nature. The melody was great when it kicked in later in the track with the piano and worked very well. It felt almost like a somewhat noir-like montage with a PI going around bars investigating. The one thing I found was the track went on for a long time, and although I'm a fan of tracks that can build up after an established tone, I felt that the consistent background riff was far too constant and continuous. It ended up drowning out the originality of the track while it progressed and became somewhat repetitive. I felt like if you condensed the concept it would have been more listenable. The ending was welcomed, and showed me that you didn't need to keep repeating the same riff, something like this changeup would have been great to hear in your main body, and less of a tag on.

Track 6.
Wa-hey! Something positive has happened. Haha. This actually sounds like it's taken a very literal bar concept, like it's exhibiting music you would hear in he background to get a good mood in it. I do like the melody. I found that 1:40 + a drum melody kicks in, and i really like it's a shame it was dropped to go back onto an extremely similar melody which we had already heard so soon, and consisting of more instruments and louder. The instruments choice and composition though is pretty great, and it's a very fun track to listen to as it provokes a great positive vibe, working within the theme.

Track 7.
This is a great jazz like track, it's has a great swinging quality to it and works very well not just with the theme, but the example image which is shown. The bass melody is interesting and a nice change in hearing that as focal point. It's a shame its a bit short, I would have loved to have heard more, and to continue further from what was established. Overall a great bar theme. Good one!

Track 8.
A really nice track. It had some excellent qualities but as the track progressed it felt somewhat like turned from a subtle bar, to a night club, then returning to subtle bar again. The electric guitar theme, which was extremely well done, but to me didn't fit with the mellow jazz arrangement. Once we left the electric guitar I felt everything felt one again, and that the instruments bounced off each other extremely well. The composition is great though, a lot of talent there! I agree with some of the comments that this would be excellent to be redone without the restrictions of the sound fonts. Overall a great track, I just felt the mood was broken half way through with a beastly electric guitar.

Track 9.
A nice slow placed Jazz track with nice chord structure and an element of mystery. The pacing of it is great and I love the walky bass, which has a catchy edge. Some of the percussion I felt was a little too loud, the snare / stick hit especially as it was really frontal. Other than that I really liked it, it portrayed the theme, it was chilled out and it had something which would work in a smokey old bar scenario.

Track 10.
A good track, but I agree with many comments, it's a very short track. it has a very upbeat moment, and although I like it, I felt that it came too soon, and the melody hadn't established itself yet for it. The instrument choice s nice, but I think a trumpet solo would have been great to span further, and then go back into the melody again. The bar theme is noticeable and prominent but it needs more melodies just to drive some sort of progression from middle to end.

Track 11.
An awesome track, the jazz in this great and dreamy like. The melodies are fantastic and upbeat with personality.I love the way the instruments roll like their actually being played live. No issues with this at all it's a great track, with great solo's and to me clearly presents itself for exactly what was required and more. It evolves very well. Great!

BBS Signature
EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-10 14:31:36 Reply

At 12/10/15 01:41 PM, SkyeWint wrote:
At 12/10/15 12:43 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Ah shit.. :/ It went up on the 7th, and then 2 days later votings over, damn it. I never realised, it's a shame because its unfair for those who have voted.
just %@
No worries. I posted right are midnight, so I thought that the full 72 hours would be enough (like last time). In any case, the results will be up tonight!

Yeah, should be enough, I'll make sure i'll do it in 72 hours next time, even if the reviews come later.

BBS Signature
EverReverb
EverReverb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-11 08:15:26 Reply

Sorry for being late D:
Lemme spill my comments, It's not much but it's something.

Track 1:
I love the melody on this one, and how it has strong structure the whole time. Also I personally find the instrument choices great (well, maybe aside the bell). The problem I have with this is that I can't really connect this to the theme.

Track 2:
Certainly going for a western feeling with this one. I love the pianowork here, and the different feels it gives; At one time it sounds epic, at one time happy, and finally shady and stealthy. This could actually be a film soundtrack ^^! But the ending feels odd.

Track 4:
This is interesting. I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of melody at 0:40. Beautiful solo piece :) It doesn't get boring at any point, what usually is a problem with solos (especially piano) for me.

Track 5:
The mastering on this track is brilliant, and the melody is decent. However, there's two problems. It's very repetitive, and way too long. But this does portray the theme well.

Track 6:
Really upbeat tune you got here! Some transitions feel a bit rough though, and I find the drums a bit distracting for some reason. Melodies are good, and I find the mastering interesting.

Track 7:
That beginning was certainly an unexpected choice, i'm not sure if it's good or bad. But I can't really get a grasp of this. There isn't a lot to keep it going, and it's disappointingly short. It was almost over when it began. The instruments were great nevertheless, and the drum-minimalistic approach works on this.

Track 8:
The beginning sounds really weird, but after that it gets better. This is brilliantly mastered like track 5, that rhodes piano especially amazes me! It also keeps presenting new stuff what makes this very interesting piece to listen to. The ending has same problem as the beginning, but maybe it's just me being too simple minded.

Track 9:
I imagine that something like this would play in a poker bar from in the 30s. The low and sleek atmosphere make this really classy piece. I also like how the drums have complex patterns without distracting me from the melodies. The bass is not mastered very well however, it drowns the other instruments.

Track 10:
This one sounds very smooth and relaxing, a lovely jazzy tune :) I would really work as a theme (or outro) song for a TV series, for example. I really couldn't tell that this is a soundfont, everything sounds so natural and high quality. It wouldn't hurt if it was longer though.

Track 11:
I love that intro, it's so lively and mysterious. Actually the whole piece is just that! It's amazing how you manage to strictly stick to the central theme but still wander around, and keep the piece interesting for the whole time. And this nails the theme perfectly.

EvilRaccoon
EvilRaccoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to NGMT '15 - Round 2 Voting 2015-12-11 09:56:14 Reply

At 12/11/15 08:15 AM, EverReverb wrote: Sorry for being late D:

Better late than never! Thanks for the comments. :D

BBS Signature