00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best Movie and Video Games OSTs

696 Views | 15 Replies

Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-11-30 16:36:03

I've been listening to John Williams' score of Empire Strikes Back a few times lately, and I've gained interest in listening to original scores without watching the movie or video game it is associated with. And even if I know quite a few movies and video games with great original soundtracks, I was interested in knowing a few new ones, or maybe getting reminded of some that I already knew of but forgot.

Just to be clear, when I'm talking about OST, I'm talking about movies and video games with scores that were specifically writen for them. So not stuff like Forest Gump or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When it comes to video games, anything that David Wise, Yoko Shimamura, and Grant Kirkhope had a hand in is gold.

Example: Possibly the best Donkey Kong Boss Theme of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vlzklvsbA

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-11-30 19:02:17

At 11/30/15 06:32 PM, Bryan wrote: All of the Halo games surprisingly. Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Reach are especially great.

Halo always had a great soundtrack, yes :)

I loved The Last Of Us OST. First video game soundtrack I considered buying. It complements the game so well!

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-11-30 19:07:56

FFX
Tekkon Kinkreet
Okami
Fable
Cowboy Bebop
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Wild 9
Fantastic Planet
Vampire Hunter D
Tenchu 2
Tenchu 3
Way of the Samurai 2
Trigun
Berserk
Texhnolyze
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Crisis
Darker Than Black
Tekken 3
Svidd Neger
Lyckantropen

Lots of others I'd think of are honestly just for a couple of tracks. Like the save themes/Serenity for the RE games and Dino Crisis or Breeze from Outlaw Star or the town themes from the Diablo games. I'm definitely forgetting stuff, though, cuz I listen to soundtracks all the time. I barely played Chaos Theory and I only got like halfway through FFX.

At 11/30/15 04:36 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Just to be clear, when I'm talking about OST, I'm talking about movies and video games with scores that were specifically writen for them. So not stuff like Forest Gump or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

In that vein, though, Boogiepop Phantom. I'm a bigger fan of the ost than the show.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-11-30 19:30:58

At 11/30/15 07:18 PM, Homicidee wrote: I always liked ''The Legend of Zeldas'' OST's.

I really like Insde the Deku Tree, Water Temple and Forest Temple.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-11-30 20:45:15

Any of the Guilty Gear or Call of Duty games have great soundtracks. Also an anime called Needless has a great metal themed soundtrack.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-11-30 21:37:10

cinematic music is annoying orchestra samples that are noisy and distort the perception of the dialogue.

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-12-01 01:18:22

Mass Effect 2 and 3 have great soundtracks.
Freespace has one of the best soundtracks ever.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

At 11/30/15 06:32 PM, Bryan wrote: All of the Halo games surprisingly. Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Reach are especially great.

Oh yeah. Halo as a series has a phenomenal soundtrack.

The Mass Effect series is another one I love to listen to, similar to Halo's soundtrack as far as orchestrated spaceman battle themes go.

On a completely different note, Crypt of the Necrodancer has the best electronic/dance music ever to be featured in a video game. If you don't believe me, just listen.

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-12-14 22:53:23

Depends what you prefer really.

THE 6TH DAY

Minority Report

These are my fav film soundtracks.

Ace Combat 4, Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat: Zero.

This should probably be in the video games forum

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-12-14 23:34:51

The only film soundtrack that I remember really vividly is Donnie Darko's, which is haunting and beautiful. As far as video games...

Silent Hill series
Vagrant Story
Half-Minute Hero
Iji
Shadow of the Colossus
DecapAttack

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-12-14 23:50:35

Fallout 4 Main Theme
The Last of Us OST
Mirror's Edge - Still Alive
Modern Warfare 2 OST
Turok Evolution Main Theme
Titanic - Hymn to the Sea
Assassin's Creed 2 - Ezio's Family
Gun - Main Theme
Fallout 3 - Main Theme

BBS Signature

At 12/14/15 10:57 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: This should probably be in the video games forum

If it were strictly about game soundtracks and not movies as well. I mentioned shows, too, cuz I'm bad at following directions...

At 12/14/15 11:34 PM, Kwing wrote: Silent Hill series

: DecapAttack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52jA6nT1bFQ

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-12-15 00:09:05

I love spamming my favorite video game music
Hotline Miami
TBOI

Response to Best Movie and Video Games OSTs 2015-12-15 14:57:52

Shovel Knight had some pretty cool sounding music.