00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

White Elephant

935 Views | 21 Replies

White Elephant 2015-11-28 17:05:58

Should I box and wrap a fleshlight for the office's white elephant gift exchange? I think it would be pretty funny, but would it be crossing the line?

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-28 17:11:10

At 11/28/15 05:05 PM, Phobotech wrote: Should I box and wrap a fleshlight for the office's white elephant gift exchange? I think it would be pretty funny, but would it be crossing the line?

Depends on the kind of people you work with.

Personally, I would absolutely do that. I think that it would be hilarious.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-28 17:27:45

At 11/28/15 05:05 PM, Phobotech wrote: white elephant gift exchange

Is that where you take something that you can barely afford to keep on using and just pass it on to another person?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-28 18:02:03

At 11/28/15 05:05 PM, Phobotech wrote: Should I box and wrap a fleshlight for the office's white elephant gift exchange? I think it would be pretty funny, but would it be crossing the line?

Aren't fleshlights kind of expensive? That sort of defeats the purpose of a white elephant gift by price factor alone.

On the other hand, if you mean you're just going to wrap a used fleshlight that you or a friend has already used, that's just disgusting and crosses all kinds of ethical and professional lines.

Even if you mean you're buying a new one, and somehow ignoring the price factor, unless the people you work with are exceptionally chill, that has bad idea written all over it.

At 11/28/15 05:27 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 11/28/15 05:05 PM, Phobotech wrote: white elephant gift exchange
Is that where you take something that you can barely afford to keep on using and just pass it on to another person?

Not sure what you're trying to say. The idea is you give someone something inexpensive which seems inappropriate as a gift. Used lottery tickets, a roll of tape, some gift someone gave you years ago but which you don't really want, etc...

If you're spending large amounts of money on it, you're doing it wrong. So giving someone an expensive-but-high-maintenance gift (what I interpret your statement of barely affording to keep using to mean) would not quite fit unless you're rich and it was like casual money to you and your friends.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-28 18:15:44

Only if you pair it with one of those long bottle cleaning brush things.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-28 18:35:52

At 11/28/15 06:14 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: could be a skateboard

That'd actually be a very nice gift. That's a bit on the expensive end for a white elephant gift. Plus that one'd be pretty obvious as it'd be the gift in the huge wrapping paper.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 00:51:05 (edited 2015-11-29 01:05:08)

At 11/28/15 06:35 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 11/28/15 06:14 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:

Would any of the following be good White Elephant ideas?

~ A random rock (can be any rock) as a paperweight
~ A tacky-looking sculpture
~ A miniature painting
~ A random kids toy
~ One of those mounted fish that can sing
~ An empty miniature gumball machine
~ A Rubik's cube
~ The Easy Button from Staples
~ A potted plant
~ A joy buzzer
~ A balloon filled with liquid (can be urine, can be water)
~ A golden toilet seat
~ An unused username and password that's needed to create an account on Newgrounds
~ A Grizzly Adams keychain
~ A snowglobe
~ Pink Bunny Slippers
~ A whoopie cushion
~ A t-shirt that says "I work with idiots" or "I'm an idiot"

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 01:14:08

Nah,it's not gonna be so do it.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 01:33:09

At 11/29/15 12:51 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: Would any of the following be good White Elephant ideas?

~ A tacky-looking sculpture
~ A miniature painting
~ A random kids toy
~ One of those mounted fish that can sing
~ An empty miniature gumball machine
~ A Rubik's cube
~ The Easy Button from Staples
~ A potted plant
~ A joy buzzer
~ A balloon filled with liquid (can be urine, can be water)
~ A golden toilet seat
~ An unused username and password that's needed to create an account on Newgrounds
~ A Grizzly Adams keychain
~ A snowglobe
~ Pink Bunny Slippers
~ A whoopie cushion
~ A t-shirt that says "I work with idiots" or "I'm an idiot"

Yes, most of those are decent. A random rock for use as a paperweight would be my choice as "best choice" from those choices.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 01:34:10

It would only be crossing the line if it's used.

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 01:35:26

At 11/29/15 01:33 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 11/29/15 12:51 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: Would any of the following be good White Elephant ideas?

Yes, most of those are decent. A random rock for use as a paperweight would be my choice as "best choice" from those choices.

Even a geode or a crystal?

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 01:45:41

At 11/29/15 01:40 AM, Bryan wrote: the imagery of white elephants is pretty gross in context

They do exist. They're called albinos.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 01:47:18

At 11/29/15 01:35 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: Even a geode or a crystal?

A geode or a crystal? No. Too expensive. Maybe if you're rich enough such that those are joke gifts to you.

Just take a rock from your backyard or a chunk of cement from a sidewalk somewhere. If you must buy it, purchase some "crystal" that's a cheap Chinese trinket from one of those 25 cent or 50 cent machines, and maybe glue a penny to it.

I think the whole point is it needs to be a joke. It's actually a nice thing someone may want? Then you've failed at white elephant gifting.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 02:36:36

If it's an anonymous gift exchange sure I'd do it.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 05:41:44

Yes. Do it!

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 08:24:39

Chances are, Someone will get offended. And more likely, it could get deemed as sexual harassment. If you work in an office full of guys, it might not be as bad but it sounds pretty chancy to me.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 09:52:03 (edited 2015-11-29 09:52:43)

Depends on your department's overall sense of humor and the actual anonymity of your gift. Can they trace it back to you at all? Even personally, are you the only type of person that would pull a prank like that or would other members of the office have trouble picking you out between you and a few like-minded buddies? Do your co-workers have a relatively fun sense of humor or are they stick-in-the-mud old people with the sense of humor of peanut brittle?

Edit: Fuck it, just do it, you have a good prank idea going here dude don't waste it.

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 12:33:08

Try it out a couple of times beforehand, you wanna be sure it's a good one.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 18:43:52

At 11/29/15 01:45 AM, TheGamechanger wrote:
At 11/29/15 01:40 AM, Bryan wrote: the imagery of white elephants is pretty gross in context
They do exist. They're called TheGamechangers

Fixed^
awww yeah

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-11-29 21:07:02

-It's brand new, never been used.
-It's about a $20 "stroker", but its essentially a pocket pussy...just more discrete.
-I work with Cyanide & Happiness, so I don't think I'm going to get a sexual harassment charge.

...However, there are several girls that work there, and the gift might backfire if a chick gets it...but on the other hand, all of the girls have boyfriends, so idk.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-12-02 00:05:41

I am having second thoughts on it, though, because according to White Elephant rules it can't exceed $20...this peaks just a little bit above the $20 mark.

Should I, like, buy $20 worth of good meat or good beef jerky and do that instead? I could go to Central Market and just get $20 worth of Spicy Salami Calabrese, gift wrap it, then keep it in the office fridge only to throw it in the pile when its time to play. Could be an unusual but fun gift instead of a potentially awkward one that'll label me as some weirdo that gifts sex toys to coworkers.

I dunno, I'm overthinking it.

BBS Signature

Response to White Elephant 2015-12-02 00:14:54

At 12/2/15 12:05 AM, Phobotech wrote: I am having second thoughts on it, though, because according to White Elephant rules it can't exceed $20...this peaks just a little bit above the $20 mark.

Should I, like, buy $20 worth of good meat or good beef jerky and do that instead? I could go to Central Market and just get $20 worth of Spicy Salami Calabrese, gift wrap it, then keep it in the office fridge only to throw it in the pile when its time to play. Could be an unusual but fun gift instead of a potentially awkward one that'll label me as some weirdo that gifts sex toys to coworkers.

I dunno, I'm overthinking it.

If everyone you work with is pretty laid-back then I don't really think that the fleshlight will be a problem.

And the $20 thing is more of a guideline anyway. I usually go a @Bit over budget when I do this sort of thing. Who's gonna complain?