00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boayne98 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HELP! game is slow to a crawl on NG

2,208 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi guys and girls. I'm new here and I have a performance issue that is so random and rare I don't really know if anyone will be able to help me, but maybe somebody will know.

I've posted a game to Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/665818
The game is built using Haxe-Flixel (it's OpenFL-based). and maybe that's part of the weirdness. I'm not sure how popular that is in here....

Now check this out:
The game is supposed to have fluid action and run at high FPS, and is primitive enough to achieve that, but on my PC (a powerful machine) the game runs slow and choppy when it's on Newgrounds.com inside Firefox browser.
The SWF runs smooth in any other situation. It runs smooth in Chrome and IE, and it runs smoothly even in Firefox if ran not inside Newgrounds (a page with just the game swf itself).

I've tried running it on a much weaker PC, on Newgrounds, in Firefox, thinking it may fail, but it worked smoothly!! It's really random.

Some people have left reviews about the game's choppiness so I knew it happened to others but the saddest thing was seeing Youtube videos of people who play my game, and a few of them had like 1 FPS like the shittiest performance possible and an unplayable game. For others it ran smoothly.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Response to HELP! game is slow to a crawl on NG 2015-11-16 10:48:43

I'm guessing it's a Firefox issue since I had the same issue with some other flash games in it, although those too were on NG so who knows. Is it there on other sites (not swf-only)? Try posting in the Wi/Ht? forum, maybe you'll get better help there since this may be either NG-specific or FF-specific.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to HELP! game is slow to a crawl on NG 2015-11-17 00:16:36

That is strange... maybe @liljim has an idea

Response to HELP! game is slow to a crawl on NG 2015-11-17 04:54:12

Weird... yeah, I've no idea. I've tried it on a couple of machines, both running firefox (one a MUCH earlier version on my *nix laptop) and both are fine...

@PsychoGoldfish ?

Response to HELP! game is slow to a crawl on NG 2015-11-17 12:55:06

At 11/17/15 04:54 AM, liljim wrote: Weird... yeah, I've no idea. I've tried it on a couple of machines, both running firefox (one a MUCH earlier version on my *nix laptop) and both are fine...

@PsychoGoldfish ?

Game runs equally well in Chrome and Firefox for me. I'm currently running FF 41.02, and my current flash plugin is at 19.0.0.245.

Are you using the flash debug player by any chance? That's been known to cause latency in games.