00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED

2,003 Views | 38 Replies

COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 17:41:28

http://www.ecat.com

Andrea Rossi and Leonardo Corporation receive its first ECAT patent in the United States from the US Patent and Trademark Office, USPTO. See ECAT Patents or external link to ECAT Patent at USPTO.

The Patent covers the ECAT as a Fluid Heater based on the Rossi Effect in all its details. Since the Rossi Effect is the main source of energy of the ECAT, this means that the ECAT Core Technology is protected by this patent. The Rossi Effect is based on the exothermal reaction between Lithium and Hydrogen which is catalyzed by Nickel or any other Group 10 element in the Periodic Table, including Palladium and Platinum. The Rossi Effect is a new type of high energy density LENR based exothermal process discovered by Andrea Rossi.

This is pretty awesome. It's similar to nuclear energy in that exothermic heat is produced, and with that heat, turbines can be turned, creating a voltage, etc.

I am not sure how this could be applied to generic every day household use, but apparently it can be. How ??? I don't know but yes.

SWEET HUH?

COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 17:43:16

That's dope af, hypothetically it can be applied to anything needing a power source. It will probably start as alternative energy for homes, cars and maybe planes soon

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 17:46:19

At 11/12/15 05:45 PM, Bryan wrote: While that's a great development, I also doubt its practicality. However, this quote perfectly sums up what it's like to work in any high level STEM position.

It doesn't burn quite as hot as coal. About 1/4 the heat. But still, that's fucking awesome considering it doesn't burn any Co2

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 17:49:33

At 11/12/15 05:48 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Hahahaha

This will probably do great things for the italian GDP

https://www.mixcloud.com/benny-benassi/bb-mix-196/

teh italian I am listening 2 atm.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 17:53:03

At 11/12/15 05:51 PM, KhanKhendo wrote: So, this is like nuclear energy, except it's not going to potentially kill us? Is it clean and renewable? I need to know this shit. Can use it to finally have the unlimited amounts of energy we need to power the desalinization machines we need to save California. Also, I hate California.

yeah I was thinking that

"when they use steam to turn turbines why don't they use ocean water and then harvest the steam for fresh water"

e-z p-z and yes it could hypothetically

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 17:58:58

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Rossi_(entrepreneur)

"Andrea Rossi (born 3 June 1950) is an Italian entrepreneur who was convicted of fraud in the 1990s,[1] and who claims to have invented a cold fusion device."

Wikipedia is on the side of THE MAN, trying to suppress FREE ENERGY.

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 18:00:45

At 11/12/15 05:51 PM, KhanKhendo wrote: So, this is like nuclear energy, except it's not going to potentially kill us? Is it clean and renewable? I need to know this shit. Can use it to finally have the unlimited amounts of energy we need to power the desalinization machines we need to save California. Also, I hate California.

lol nuclear energy is clean and safe in theory, all potential for death is man made, the science is there so to speak.

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 18:03:09

At 11/12/15 05:53 PM, swaenK wrote:
yeah I was thinking that

"when they use steam to turn turbines why don't they use ocean water and then harvest the steam for fresh water"

e-z p-z and yes it could hypothetically

I guess if you like corrosion and blockages in your nuclear reactor pipes that might seem like a good idea.

At 11/12/15 05:58 PM, Scintillating wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Rossi_(entrepreneur)

"Andrea Rossi (born 3 June 1950) is an Italian entrepreneur who was convicted of fraud in the 1990s,[1] and who claims to have invented a cold fusion device."

Wikipedia is on the side of THE MAN, trying to suppress FREE ENERGY.

Yeah yeah that was in 1990 and further I checked the patent website and it's 100% legit (the patent)

they wouldn't "phony" to this level, it would be stupid.

If it's a hoax I may look stupid, but they're going to look 'really really really stupid'

At 11/12/15 06:03 PM, Scintillating wrote: I guess if you like corrosion and blockages in your nuclear reactor pipes that might seem like a good idea.

the science behind this device is pretty flat, the compounds when "fused" create a vigorous amount of heat, it heats the surrounding area around it, not inside the vestibule creating heat itself, so the salt/minerals wouldn't interfere with the heating element/source of heat.

hurp

BBS Signature

Nice!

There is no mention of cold fusion in the patent. This is the only way it was able to get through the US Patent Office.

I can't believe your complete lack of skepticism. I feel embarrassed for you.

patent

Note on the last page where the CHEMICAL reaction is written out. NOT a nuclear reaction.

At 11/12/15 06:08 PM, KhanKhendo wrote: Just heard about the new shockwave dialysis. Seems like it could really help with this fresh water bullshit.

http://www.engineering.com/DesignerEdge/DesignerEdgeArticles/ArticleID/10967/Shockwave-Desalination-Removes-Salts-from-Flowing-Water.aspx

Yeah there's three ways that I know of (including this one)

pressurized containers that are huge heat up steam and then the remaining salt is removed. another where there is a barrier that is charged which draws the charged salt molecule to the other side of the filter, leaving the fresh water. Kind of annoying to operate apparently but it works.

hurp

BBS Signature

At 11/12/15 06:22 PM, Scintillating wrote: There is no mention of cold fusion in the patent. This is the only way it was able to get through the US Patent Office.

I can't believe your complete lack of skepticism. I feel embarrassed for you.

I would be skeptical more so but cold fusion is reportedly invented by various firms.

they demonstrated the method of fluid heating in one of their videos so I think it's fairly legitimate.

if they are hoaxters they have certainly impressed me with their technical know-how in how to hoax.

they are really really really really smart hoaxters then >:|

hurp

BBS Signature

http://www.google.com/patents/US9115913

CLAIMS

1. An apparatus for heating fluid, said apparatus comprising a tank, an electrical resistor, and a fuel wafer, wherein said tank is configured for holding fluid to be heated, wherein said fuel wafer is configured to be in thermal communication with said fluid, wherein said fuel wafer includes a fuel mixture that includes reagents and a catalyst, wherein said electrical resistor is in thermal communication with said fuel mixture and said catalyst, wherein said resistor is configured to be coupled to a voltage source, wherein said apparatus further comprises a controller in communication with said voltage source, and a temperature sensor, wherein said fuel mixture comprises lithium, and lithium aluminum hydride, wherein said catalyst comprises a group 10 element, wherein said controller is configured to monitor a temperature from said temperature sensor, and, based at least in part on said temperature, to reinvigorate a reaction in said fuel mixture, wherein reinvigorating said reaction comprises varying a voltage of said voltage source.

Further general info

Many heat transfer systems use hot fluids as a heat transfer medium. Such systems include a heat generator for generating heat, a heat transfer medium in thermal communication with the energy source, and a pump to move the heated medium to wherever the heat is needed. Because of its high heat capacity and its abundance, a common heat transfer fluid is water, both in its liquid and gas phase.

A variety of heat generators are in common use. For instance, in nuclear power plants, nuclear fission provides energy for heating water. There also exist solar water heaters that use solar energy. However, most heat transfer sources rely on an exothermal chemical reaction, and in particular, on combustion of some fuel.
SUMMARY

In one aspect, the invention features an apparatus for heating fluid, the apparatus including a tank for holding fluid to be heated, and a fuel wafer in fluid communication with the fluid, the fuel wafer including a fuel mixture including reagents and a catalyst, and a heat source, for example an electrical resistor, in thermal communication with the fuel mixture and the catalyst.

Among the embodiments are those in which the fuel mixture includes lithium and lithium aluminum hydride, those in which the catalyst includes a group 10 element, such as nickel in powdered form, or in any combination thereof.

In other embodiments, the catalyst in powdered form, has been treated to enhance its porosity. For example, the catalyst can be nickel powder that has been treated to enhance porosity thereof.

In those embodiments that include an electrical resistor, the apparatus can also include an electrical energy source, such as a voltage source or current source in electrical communication with the resistor.

Among the other embodiments are those in which the fuel wafer includes a multi-layer structure having a layer of the fuel mixture in thermal communication with a layer containing the electrical resistor.

In yet other embodiments, the fuel wafer includes a central heating insert and a pair of fuel inserts disposed on either side of the heating insert.

A variety of tanks can be used. For example, in some embodiments, the tank includes a recess for receiving the fuel wafer therein. Among these are embodiments in which the tank further includes a door for sealing the recess. In yet other embodiments the tank includes a radiation shield.

Also included among the embodiments are those that further include a controller in communication with the voltage source. Among these are controllers that are configured to cause vary the voltage in response to temperature of the fluid to be heated.

In another aspect, the invention features an apparatus for heating a fluid, the apparatus including means for containing the fluid, and means for holding a fuel mixture containing a catalyst and a reagent, and means for initiating a reaction sequence mediated by the catalyst to cause an exothermic reaction.

Another aspect of the invention is a composition of matter for generating heat, the composition including a mixture of porosity-enhanced nickel powder, lithium powder, and lithium aluminum powder, and a heat source in thermal communication with the mixture for initiating a nickel catalyzed exothermic reaction.

Another aspect of the invention is a method of heating a fluid, the method including placing a mixture of nickel powder, lithium powder, and lithium aluminum hydride in thermal communication with the fluid; and heating the mixture, thereby initiating an exothermic reaction in the mixture.

---

the way I understand it, you have various elements and when he adds some sort of voltage it creates an exothermic reaction. The lithium/nickel when interacting produce a byproduct heat for up to 1 month on a single fuel cell/wafer. How he does this I am not exactly sure, some sort of chemical additive/who knows what the fuck. He stipulates a chemical additive in the formula. "reagents and catalysts"

he has seize to claim it produces copper as a byproduct which I always thought was a bunch of bologna (ironically bologna university)

"HIS UNIVERSITY IS A BUNCH OF BOLOGNA"

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 19:06:54

Haven't read up about cold fusion in a while, I remember there were some issues with the reaction petering out for some reason. Anyway, as an aside to the topic, I offer some old but proven ways to extract hydrogen from wood, for use in (carburated) internal combustion engines... or those new fangled, plastic fuel cells:

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) Gasifier Plans .PDF (high temperature wood-to-hydrogen production, for use in internal combustion engines). The gasoline-to-wood ratio is almost 1:10, but it kept many cars running through WWII, when gasoline/petrol was not available for civilian use.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/ad687d6a400785192cadc88c3c96547d

For more information : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasifier

DOE (Department of Energy) Gasifier Applications/Data Sheets .PDF
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a4e4e5f1d01a9fdbae940b2ccd6d1e1b

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 20:23:41

SIgh. This is just another ridiculous attempt at breaking the laws of physics using tin cans and current. This man has no credibility and his "free energy invention" has been refuted on paper and in practice many many times. Every couple of years, he finds a new set of undergrads to stand and watch his little magic show and then uses it to get some press attention from clickbait news sources.

You can't take this seriously. You can't take anything seriously just because it has been patented. The USPTO isn't an airtight scientific institution. Patent law is unfortunately overrun with politicians, businessmen, and lawyers who are all trying to use patent laws to swindle people. This institution had been intended as a way to promote discovery and collect resources for intellectual achievement, but it's become just another way for grimy patent trolls to steal millions from legitimate ones. This only got worse in the US in 2011, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader to understand why. Fuck you, Lamar.

We need to scrap the entire USPTO and start from scratch. There needs to be an entirely different office for software patents, as well.

Just an 02er.

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 22:34:49

Cold Fusion? What are we, in 1985?

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-12 22:51:26

1. You are an idiot.
2. You have no idea how physics works.
3. You have no idea how the patent system works.

At 11/12/15 08:23 PM, Profanity wrote: SIgh. This is just another ridiculous attempt at breaking the laws of physics using tin cans and current. This man has no credibility and his "free energy invention" has been refuted on paper and in practice many many times. Every couple of years, he finds a new set of undergrads to stand and watch his little magic show and then uses it to get some press attention from clickbait news sources.

Links, sites, sources? please back up these claims or they're just that, claims. It's backed by large companies, multiple large companies. Swiss companies, various companies. Why would these large-scale companies back this if it was just a bunch of bologna?

I can't personally find the links to various energy companies that they operate out of Switzerland but they have reputable companies backing them. Various news casts with the energy company execs, etc.

You can't take this seriously. You can't take anything seriously just because it has been patented. The USPTO isn't an airtight scientific institution. Patent law is unfortunately overrun with politicians, businessmen, and lawyers who are all trying to use patent laws to swindle people. This institution had been intended as a way to promote discovery and collect resources for intellectual achievement, but it's become just another way for grimy patent trolls to steal millions from legitimate ones. This only got worse in the US in 2011, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader to understand why. Fuck you, Lamar.

Meh, it could be a hoax/they're hoaxters, sure. I am not denying that this COULD be all a bunch of BS, but at the same time, I will remain positive that not this many people would allow this to go on unchecked.

We don't really have that much longer to wait:
"Updated Aug 2015: The ECAT 1 MW is currently on the market and the first Pilot is already operating gathering useful data to feedback in preparation for the mass production which is planned to start late 2016 to early 2017. The first Pilot Plant is undergoing a certification process where certification will be finalized in March 2016. You can already Pre-Order the ECAT 1 MW for Heat generation by filling out the inquiry form on the right. "

Sooo... right about the same time electric cars are going to be going full sale the whole ecat thing is expected to be full tilt as well.

If they're lying I am trying to ask why? To further dishonor their families/name/homeland? why? it's stupid.

Many companies are claiming to be exceptionally close to fusion, it is just not economically sound/expensive/large. They need large containers to "do something" im not sure.

We need to scrap the entire USPTO and start from scratch. There needs to be an entirely different office for software patents, as well.

software patents... like what?

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-13 16:56:51

This is completely bullshit.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-13 16:58:17

At 11/12/15 10:51 PM, Bit wrote: 1. You are an idiot.
2. You have no idea how physics works.
3. You have no idea how the patent system works.

I love you.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR CARRYING OUT NICKEL AND HYDROGEN EXOTHERMAL REACTION

A method and apparatus for carrying out highly efficient exothermal reaction between nickel and hydrogen atoms in a tube, preferably, though not necessary, a metal tube filled by a nickel powder and heated to a high temperature, preferably, though not necessary, from 150 to 5000 C are herein disclosed. In the inventive apparatus, hydrogen is injected into the metal tube containing a highly pressurized nickel powder having a pressure, preferably though not necessarily, from 2 to 20 bars.

ENERGY-PRODUCING REACTION DEVICES, SYSTEMS AND RELATED METHODS

[0005] In some embodiments, a reactor device includes a reaction chamber; one or more thermal units in thermal communication with the reaction chamber configured to transfer thermal energy to the reaction chamber; and a refractory layer between the reaction chamber and the one or more thermal units.

[0006] The refractory layer may include at least one recess configured to receive the one or more thermal units therein. The one or more thermal units may include one or more resistive wires. The at least one recess may include a spiral groove and the one or more resistive wires may be helically-disposed in the groove. The one or more resistive wires may include at least three wires carrying a three-phase alternating-current electric power. The refractory layer may include a ribbed or finned surface that increases heat dissipation away from the reaction chamber.

So much effort to be a hoax. Like, this would seriously be, the most impressive hoax of all time if it is.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-14 18:03:26

At 11/14/15 06:01 PM, Cordyceps wrote: They're probably trying to swindle money out of investors.

Well legitimate swiss energy companies have been backing them for a long time. They've also set up shop fairly openly Florida (a great place for business actually). I don't think they would rip anyone off, that would make enemies pretty quick. Being a hoaxter certainly isn't about the money...

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-14 18:10:53

At 11/14/15 06:07 PM, Cordyceps wrote: It's a boondoggle. There's no way it isn't.

They have no intention of building and using any of this to make money, because its physically impossible.

yeah right... computers were JUST invented, there's fuck tons of science shit left to be unveiled.

hurp

BBS Signature

At 11/14/15 06:16 PM, Cordyceps wrote: computers follow the laws of physics, though

YOU DONT FUCKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE FUCKING LAWS OF PHYSICS

this is more like chemistry by the sounds of it anyway.

YOU DONT KNOW FUCK ALL ABOUT THE LAWS OF PROCESSING EITHER.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-14 18:25:53

People can't possibly be swindlers if they go to tons of effort! Swindlers never go to all this effort@!@! This is also how I know psychic mediums are real!

At 11/14/15 06:25 PM, Scintillating wrote: People can't possibly be swindlers if they go to tons of effort! Swindlers never go to all this effort@!@! This is also how I know psychic mediums are real!

Psychic mediums aren't professors at a University. His associate who you don't hear of too much anymore, is a nice old guy and I highly doubt he would swindle people. He wasn't involved in the 1990 fraud situation. He's also so old that if he rotted out his remaining days in jail how horrible would that be ? I don't know.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-14 18:35:37

"Andrea Rossi claims to convert nickel to copper using Hydrogen, thus releasing energy. In fact, NO energy can be obtained by fusing anything higher than 56 nucleons, which excludes this from power generation via fusion. What they claim violates the laws of physics."

This initial claim boggled me. What made me believe it was a hoax, but oh well.

"In addition, the power outputs being claimed are easily obtainable by burning hydrogen gas, which is what's being used. There was a recent report about an E-cat blowing up, which is consistent with a hydrogen explosion.

Yeah they use Hydrogen in the new formulay

"IN addition they are NOT claiming ANY commercial power production at all in the last 12+yrs. this scam has been operating. Instead they are selling licensing rights to use it to make power, using a created intermediate, Cherokee energy, such as Heat, LLC, to sell those. Note they do NOT do anything but sell liecenses for something which doesn't work. The FTC and SEC have been looking into them for such obvious scams."

If I was to scam anyone/anything. I would do it for the sex. Yes, the sex. You would get laid like a madman if you invented cold fusion. All the dirty hoaxter sex indeed.

Bogus Patents not "that" many.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-14 18:44:57

At 11/14/15 06:26 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 11/14/15 06:21 PM, swaenK wrote: YOU DONT FUCKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE FUCKING LAWS OF PHYSICS
I dunno, I paid quite a bit of money to listen to a professor talk about this kind of thing

liar. no one who is a physicist wastes their time on newgrounds, fact. it kills time, that's what it's for. For relieving stress. If you were a particle physicist, you would... be... doing homework!

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to COLD FUSION HAS BEEN PATENTED 2015-11-14 18:59:54

At 11/14/15 06:48 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 11/14/15 06:44 PM, swaenK wrote: If you were a particle physicist, you would... be... doing homework!
I think you're overshooting how good my work ethic is

Browse All Posts (10,846)

Yeah, you're a particle physicist alright.

hurp

BBS Signature