00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Story Intro. First try at writing.

487 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

"It wasn't always this way…"
The rain poured into the street as those haunting words echoed through the night.
"I remember a time when I was actually happy. When I had a future. When I felt as though I meant something. No… It wasn't always this way, but this is the way it had to be."
I raised my hand and wiped the rain from my eyes. My vision cleared, if only for a second allowing me to see the blood dripping from my arm onto the pavement. The blood stained the stream at my feet as it rushed down the hill behind me. Why couldn't I feel any pain though? That's when I heard the footsteps slowly growing louder walking towards me. They were knocking at a relatively calm yet intimidating pace. Similar to that of a clock. The louder they got, the more haunting the footsteps became. Then, the shadow of a person stepped into view under the streetlight roughly 20 yards ahead of me. The light managed to hit the figure perfectly, blocking all features from view.
The shadow seemed more than familiar to me. As though I knew who it belonged to.
Familiar as it may be, this was no comforting sense of familiarity. I felt like I was staring death in the face as I have done many times before. Maybe it was death? Then again, there's no way death is a physical being. That's just absurd. And what would death want with me anyways? It's not my time. If it were, I would surely know.
The figure stretched out and arm and beckoned me forward. I was petrified. Even if I wanted to step forward, my body refused to listen. I've always been so stoic. Fear has never been an emotion I've so easily displayed. Something wasn't right. My eyes remained locked upon the figure.
The beckoning became slightly more demanding as though the figure was getting angrier. I stayed still. I could feel my heartbeat pounding through my entire body. That's when I noticed that I actually was paralyzed. I couldn't move. I couldn't even blink. Something was wrong.
All of a sudden, the figure's arm shot down immediately and the figure stomped angrily towards me. The scream it was emitting as it closed in on me was unbearable. Never have I heard a more terrifying scream. My heart began aching. My breathing was out of control. I just managed to close my eyes as the figure was about to grab me. Then I felt a hand grab my arm with such intensity that I was sure I would soon be dead. I opened my eyes.
It took me a good five minutes of calming down before I noticed was able to grasp what had happened. I was still squeezing my arm as my breath finally caught back up to me. My sheets were covered in sweat. It was a dream. I was alive. I quickly opened the drawer to my nightstand and pulled out my journal. I documented what a saw and what happened in the dream. 'It wasn't always this way…'. What was I saying? What does that even mean? Why was I bleeding? I had so many unanswered questions for myself.
The clock near my window read 4:27.
"What a miserable time to wake up."
I looked down at the latest entry to my dream journal. My hands were still shaking. I'm used to having nightmares. In fact, I like them. Horror has always been one of my favorite things because it makes me feel alive. But this dream seemed so different. I'm not sure if I believe dreams have meaning, but I would definitely be evaluating this dream in detail when my thoughts cleared up.

This dream sequence is not a red herring. It will mean something much later in the book.

BBS Signature

Response to Story Intro. First try at writing. 2015-11-25 18:16:43

Very interesting. I like the idea of someone who documents (or at least tries to) their dreams. It's a good premise with a lot of potential and many different avenues, themes, and what not to explore. So kudos to that.

For a first try, this is pretty darn good. The tension is well-built and maintained, you obviously had a clear vision when you wrote this, and it shows. It stays focused, it doesn't wander, and it kept me engrossed. To make your writing smoother and generally flow better, I would suggest removing ultimately unnecessary descriptive words and phrases. Especially considering that this is a dream sequence, I feel that describing the distance between the main character and the figure as "20 yards" somewhat detracts from the mystery and fuzziness of dreams. Perhaps think of scenes as half-finished paintings and don't be afraid to leave a little to the reader's imagination. If something is absolutely crucial to the plot or character development, than leave it in.

I noticed the main character describes himself quite a bit, especially in using the adjective 'stoic'. To make your writing even better, I would suggest removing these words and introspective wandering. Show what happens and how the character reacts, rather than simply telling the reader how the character is reacting at the moment. Instead of just calling it fear, show the symptoms of this, e.g. the dread in the pit of the stomach, the sweat raining down the brow, the milk-white face etc. and let the reader guess (or realise) what is happening and how the character is reacting.

Also, the anecdote at the end is unnecessary. Let the reader figure out whether or not the dream is in fact a red herring (unless this is still part of the chapter and intentional on your part).

A great first effort, in my humble opinion.

Response to Story Intro. First try at writing. 2015-12-18 16:15:50

At 11/9/15 03:50 AM, MILFMaster3000 wrote: "It wasn't always this way…"
The rain poured into the street as those haunting words echoed through the night.
"I

This was good! :D