00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dharkside's Art Thread

1,092 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-08 13:27:28

It was suggested to make my own art thread where i can showcase my (noob) work/progress and get tips from this awesome community. So I made this here thread.

This here is my first drawing:

Critique request thread Posted earlier
Full sized version.

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-08 13:33:59 (edited 2015-11-08 13:34:56)

This is my second drawing, its an attempt at real life drawing from reference.

I think I did ok on the proportions.
Not that good at depth, it seems kinda flat still but I dont know how to improve that, tips?
I quite pleased with the texture I build on the shark!
To cartoony, does the outline cause this?

Reference picture I used.
Full sized version.

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-09 15:04:53

At 11/8/15 03:07 PM, Anchimayen wrote: Hello there, and welcome to Newgrounds. It's alway good to see that this community is still growing!
May i suggest that you look at the background of the picture, the light comes from the top, so that means you should
make shadows on the down side of the creature. I think this alone could already improve your artwork really much. hope you :could do something with this feedback. :)

Thank you for your feedback Anchimayen, very helpfull. I redid the shading / lighting and I do feel like the image improved quite a bit! Onto some more drawing fundamentals next!

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-09 16:02:26 (edited 2015-11-09 16:02:45)

A sketch i just did.

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-26 18:21:57

Here is my latest creation. It is an Inquisitor from the Mistborn books.

I know it is often said dont get to attached to your earlier works too much but I must admit I really like this one, mostly because I feel its the first "decent" drawing I did and for me i'm kinda in awe how I can actually draw something more then stick figures ;)

I'm gonna keep it up, it is very addictive!

Your critiques would be very welcome!

Link to Full Version

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-27 17:33:20 (edited 2015-11-27 17:33:59)

Hello,

I order to improve I've decided to try and deconstruct a drawing to see if I can understand how it has been build. My first attempt is attached, could you please provide feedback if i'm doing it "correctly" (if there is a correct way?) and how I should proceed?

Pointers appreciated, kind of flying blind here!

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-28 10:54:32

with the bones is a lot easier!

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-11-30 04:27:35

At 11/28/15 10:54 AM, Dharkside wrote: with the bones is a lot easier!

I don't have much experience using the ring technique for foreshortening, the rings should be wider on the left leg when they're coming towards the camera instead of facing away.

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-12-05 18:43:57

At 11/30/15 04:27 AM, Jetly wrote:
At 11/28/15 10:54 AM, Dharkside wrote: with the bones is a lot easier!
I don't have much experience using the ring technique for foreshortening, the rings should be wider on the left leg when they're coming towards the camera instead of facing away.

I didnt even know what foreshortening was so I googled and and been trying to learn about it. Thanks for the advice!

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-12-26 12:13:18

I've had surgery on my right (drawing) hand so I wasnt able to draw for about 6 weeks but now I'm back to it!

I've noticed during the drawing that I can obsess about every line so much that it took me a WHOLE lot of time to makes this drawing, was wondering if you guys have had experience with the same and might know of a way to improve speed? (apart from practincing and getting more confident.)

First attempt at a full character, critiques are very much appreciated. Merry X-mas!
My 4th drawing is of Raphael, TMNT.

Link to bigger version: Full version.

Dharkside's Art Thread

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-12-29 04:50:10

These are some nice pieces of work, I had a blast viewing them, keep em coming.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2015-12-29 05:15:06

I assume you have a pen tablet and if not then go get one, if you seriously want to do digital drawing.

As for line work, I'm by no means very good at it, but what I've come to realize is doing perfect line is not always the best option. Firstly you need to use pen pressure to vary the line weight in different areas. Also use different brush sizes. Example outline 10px, details 5px and overlapping stuff 7-8px.

Secondly, don't use perfect straight lines when drawing something organic, like the middle line on the turtle shell.

Thirdly, if you use some scribble here and there, messy lines indicating nooks and grannies on the figure. Muscle lines, skin folds etc. It really helps to bring the drawing alive. Also for the turtle skin texture would help a lot and more highlights, since it's skin should be a bit slimy. That's what I have to say about line art.

You have the overall shading idea. But I would use darker shadows and/or lighter highlights, to bring out the shapes more. Right now the turtle, even though its shaded, it looks like its flat. Also he's looks too skinny, should have more muscles, look at reference images of comic books.

And lastly what I would suggest. Do not try to draw from imagination. A lot of people think using reference is "cheating", I think its a stupid way of thinking, everyone use them, even pro's who have been in the business for decades.
If you have a certain idea what to draw, then look up references from google. For example, if you want to draw a ninja turtle, look at comic books, movie screenshots, cartoon screenshots, etc, mix in some of your own ideas. Turtle wielding a taco gun or whatever. More you use references more you improve your visual library, linework, composition etc. REFERENCE IMAGES!

Good luck!

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2016-01-03 09:36:11

At 12/29/15 05:15 AM, APass wrote: I assume you have a pen tablet and if not then go get one, if you seriously want to do digital drawing.

As for line work, I'm by no means very good at it, but what I've come to realize is doing perfect line is not always the best option. Firstly you need to use pen pressure to vary the line weight in different areas. Also use different brush sizes. Example outline 10px, details 5px and overlapping stuff 7-8px.

Secondly, don't use perfect straight lines when drawing something organic, like the middle line on the turtle shell.

Thirdly, if you use some scribble here and there, messy lines indicating nooks and grannies on the figure. Muscle lines, skin folds etc. It really helps to bring the drawing alive. Also for the turtle skin texture would help a lot and more highlights, since it's skin should be a bit slimy. That's what I have to say about line art.

You have the overall shading idea. But I would use darker shadows and/or lighter highlights, to bring out the shapes more. Right now the turtle, even though its shaded, it looks like its flat. Also he's looks too skinny, should have more muscles, look at reference images of comic books.

And lastly what I would suggest. Do not try to draw from imagination. A lot of people think using reference is "cheating", I think its a stupid way of thinking, everyone use them, even pro's who have been in the business for decades.
If you have a certain idea what to draw, then look up references from google. For example, if you want to draw a ninja turtle, look at comic books, movie screenshots, cartoon screenshots, etc, mix in some of your own ideas. Turtle wielding a taco gun or whatever. More you use references more you improve your visual library, linework, composition etc. REFERENCE IMAGES!

Good luck!

APass ,

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I do have a Wacom Intuos Pro medium tablet, im loving it! I wont use a straight line in an organic piece again! Also i'll try to be a bit more "messy", see how that goes. On my next TMNT i'll try more texture and highlights.

Due to your advice I've bought Jazza's anatomy and reference pack. Thanks again!

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2016-01-20 16:35:57

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2016-12-24 15:10:33

Moving more into 3D territory.

Fully modeled and painted in Medium VR with Oculus touch controllers! The idea for the sculpt just grew as I progressed. I see the sculpt as an alien coming out of the ground of an alien world presenting a gift to a visiting human. Rendered in Keyshot, edited in Photoshop.

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2018-08-24 10:46:42 (edited 2018-08-24 10:47:31)

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2019-05-24 17:21:32

Response to Dharkside's Art Thread 2019-05-25 07:53:06

The latest post is my second finished project. While attempting to learn Zbrush I get stuck in my perfectionist mindset and never actually finish anything. Now I've come to realize I should finish projects, even if they are not perfect. I need to focus on sculpting more so I can expand my skillset and actually get some experience. This piece is a first step towards that. Far from perfect, but I like it anyway. Critique's are very welcome.