00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

South Park is completely ruined.

2,807 Views | 29 Replies

South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 01:55:08

There's no other way for me to publicly voice an opinion like this than over the internet, so here I go.

Yeah, South Park. The show I used to watch growing up as a kid. The show that I used to laugh at, be on the floor in tears laughing so hard, and used to just absolutely praise for all of the truthfulness they put into all of the meaning behind their episodes. It doesn't exist anymore.

Watching the new episodes are just downright depressing. The episodes aren't focused on humor anymore. They're just way too political. They try and make a political point they're trying to convey so obvious and shove it down your throat, so focused on only that that they don't even try to make humor in the show anymore. There is no humor. There's no problem with being political; when South Park was at its peak, political points were trying to be conveyed in a lot of its episodes as well. However the main difference is that the meaning they were trying to convey were very subtle; just hints of what they were trying to get across. That left room for the characters to be crazy and do crazy stuff so they can focus a lot of it on just ridiculous, fast-paced humor.

Just look at Eric Cartman, probably the most popular character who was always the one everyone laughed at. He doesn't act like a crazy kid you can laugh at anymore, with his old lines of "weak", "I'm gonna kick ya in the neets", "god dammit", and all of those other funny lines he used to use. His voice has no energy to it like it used to. He acts too calm, normal and boring - along with the other kids who really don't seem to have much of a presence in the new episodes at all.

All in all this show isn't humorous anymore and doesn't try to be. It tries to be too political. I can't laugh at any of the newer episodes. I understand and agree with their points, but that isn't what this show is about. It was always about both pointing out the subtle hints they used throughout their episodes, and just crying laughing at the ridiculous plots and how the characters acted. Laughing at all the fast-paced jokes and crude humor.

Unfortunately, I hope they discontinue this show soon. It clearly won't go back to the way it was. All great things must come to an end. If they keep making garbage episodes like this, it'll further ruin the reputation of this once amazing show. Now that I finally got this out of my system and this opinion I wrote will forever be in the depths of the internet somewhere for someone to read, I can go to bed peacefully, and watch some of the episodes from season 2.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 07:01:36

I'm glad you got that off your chest and you expressed your opinion but the majority of fans disagree with you, myself included. In my opinion the show has never been funnier or sharper than it is now. The PC, safe space & Yelp episodes made a lot of people think and laugh like a mofo.

For crying out loud man, they sang for minutes on end about boogers & cum!

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 08:44:31

What're you talking about, the show's still subtle.

South Park is completely ruined.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 10:08:52

Nostalgia is really up there with nationalism, mythic story-telling and what we tell ourselves after having sex in generating false memories of a "better time", try to remember that a series as long standing as South Park will grow and evolve much like we do.

You would have been 4 or 5 when season two first aired, man. If you share the same experience as me, you probably watched the show late at night in your early teens giggling at how much they swore on television with the crap they spewed out then. It was hilarious, but it was close to literally being crap. The show has always been humourous, and well thought out, just in different ways for a growing audience is all.

I'm not agoraphobic. I just really hate having to wear pants.

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 11:41:00

I expected Newgrounds being Newgrounds to do what you guys always do which is find any and every way to disagree with the OP.

Look, I'm not making any of this up. This point has been argued by many people. If you actually find the episodes now just as funny if not funnier than the older episodes, you clearly haven't even watched the older episodes, or your sense of humor is horrible. All of the episodes today and too political and just try to point out what's new in pop culture. That's not what South Park used to do. They used to make episodes about ANYTHING and focus on their ridiculous jokes.

The PC episode was a good idea, horribly executed. If they had made something like this earlier, it would have been way funnier and crazier.

At 11/7/15 02:32 AM, Loki wrote: The "Safe Space" episode was the best episode I've seen since "Scott Tenorman must die".

You should rework your definition of humour and get on with the times. Your arguments are quite poorly built.

It is likely that you miss the poop humour and the cheap childish jokes that made the early seasons a success.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case as well as the fact that the early seasons were considered "underground" because kids would watch it behind their parents' backs. The recent seasons does sucked but they still have some really good episodes which helped kept the series going. Not to mention that I felt the best seasons were the ones that came after what the OP liked, mostly to spite the OP further.

With that said, the early seasons are dumb as hell.

Only good thing about them is how the series got its start but it wasn't until the third season where the quality improved. The first two seasons are crap.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 13:10:02

At 11/7/15 02:02 AM, Drinze wrote:
At 11/7/15 01:55 AM, mothballs wrote: I can go to bed peacefully, and watch some of the episodes from season 2.
that season sucked ass

Or dick?

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 14:40:04

At 11/7/15 01:06 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: The first two seasons are crap.

Wrong. The first two seasons were the best. At least for me. Seasons 3-12 were wonderful believe me, but the first two seasons were dumb as hell which is why they were funny. Nothing needed an explanation, it was just stupid, ridiculous humor. And it was fucking hilarious.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 14:46:30

At 11/7/15 02:40 PM, mothballs wrote:
At 11/7/15 01:06 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: The first two seasons are crap.
Wrong. The first two seasons were the best. At least for me. Seasons 3-12 were wonderful believe me, but the first two seasons were dumb as hell which is why they were funny. Nothing needed an explanation, it was just stupid, ridiculous humor. And it was fucking hilarious.

And too childish as well as the humor used in those seasons generally panders to those who still thinks toilet humor are funny. Don't get me wrong, the toilet humor are still used in the later seasons at certain points as well as the fact that the series would not have existed without the early seasons but when looking back, only reason people even like them was for nostalgia value.

Our opinions may differ but I have to disagree with you, the early seasons blew.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Yeah some of the South Park episodes are getting a little to real for me to see what world is like in such a cartoon.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 14:54:31

At 11/7/15 02:46 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: And too childish as well as the humor used in those seasons generally panders to those who still thinks toilet humor are funny. Don't get me wrong, the toilet humor are still used in the later seasons at certain points as well as the fact that the series would not have existed without the early seasons but when looking back, only reason people even like them was for nostalgia value.

Our opinions may differ but I have to disagree with you, the early seasons blew.

But the thing is it wasn't that much toilet humor. Terrance and Philip was added to the show because people used to say South Park was all toilet humor, so in retaliation they added that bit. There was toilet humor here and there but it wasn't as much as you make it out to be. A lot of it was stuff like Mr. Mackey lecturing on how drugs are bad, getting fired and becoming a drug addict, and just funny shit happening from there.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 15:00:33

At 11/7/15 02:54 PM, mothballs wrote: A

But the thing is it wasn't that much toilet humor. Terrance and Philip was added to the show because people used to say South Park was all toilet humor, so in retaliation they added that bit. There was toilet humor here and there but it wasn't as much as you make it out to be. A lot of it was stuff like Mr. Mackey lecturing on how drugs are bad, getting fired and becoming a drug addict, and just funny shit happening from there.

Until people grows out of it, if you still like it then kudos to you. The third season is where they have the right balance of old humor and the newer material mixed in, it was probably after 2004 where it changed.

With that said, the early seasons aren't that funny when looking back. Also it was too random so it doesn't help its case either though the creators said that they were going for Monty Python humor during that span so that makes sense. Glad they dropped that later on. Admittingly, the second half of season 2 may have paved the way for the change to occur so there's the bright spot in regards to that.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 15:29:18

why did your parents let you watch that show as a kid?

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 15:43:42

At 11/7/15 03:29 PM, KevinButtchin wrote: why did your parents let you watch that show as a kid?

Semi-relevant, I watched Chappelle's Show when it first came out, and during kindergarten my parents received a phone call about how I was saying "Cocaine's a hell of a drug"

Anyway, I think all of the bitching and complaining comes from the same people who are afraid of the future. The kinds of people who get overly nostalgic about the 90s. South Park's a hell of a lot more clever of a show now than it was when it was first conceived. It's hit and miss at times but still solid nonetheless.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2015-11-07 15:44:30

At 11/7/15 11:41 AM, mothballs wrote: I expected Newgrounds being Newgrounds to do what you guys always do which is find any and every way to disagree with the OP.

Look, I'm not making any of this up. This point has been argued by many people. If you actually find the episodes now just as funny if not funnier than the older episodes, you clearly haven't even watched the older episodes, or your sense of humor is horrible.

"You disagree with me, which means you all just trying to be contrarians. Also, if you disagree with me, you have a horrible sense of humor, that's a fact."

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 01:10:50

YOu're not the only one that believes SP is garbage now.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 01:24:19

At 9/6/16 01:10 AM, brofessorOak wrote: YOu're not the only one that believes SP is garbage now.

Stunning first post.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 01:45:01

The thing that bothers me about South Park, aside from... idk not being that funny anymore, is how seriously everyone takes it. It's like every word they ever put to script has to be pure gold and also 100% truth, they can't ever be wrong. SP fans and FG fans are practically interchangeable at this point, no matter the quality of the actual shows.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 05:36:32

I don't think its been so great since season 11, but I don't think its that bad and definitely hasn't deteriorated as much as a lot of other shows do (especially The Simpsons.) I can see why you'd feel that way though, there have been some episodes I've liked and others I just turn off halfway through from boredom.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 11:02:35

Season 16 was awesome ^^

17 had a lot of hit and miss episodes, but overall the comedy wasn't as spot on imo. Still guud political commentary :()

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 14:07:40

that's what you get for watching cartoons

gaydemocrat: i just found a seed in my dope

gaydemocrat: this is a fucking outrage

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 14:26:13

Man the new episodes are so great and I think these "political" episodes just fit better in this generation. Times change, South park would be dumb if they'd always do the same.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 14:33:48

i disagree

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 15:07:40

I like the PC direction the show is taking

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 15:11:35

At 9/6/16 03:07 PM, Spedmallet wrote: I like the PC direction the show is taking

you think the show turned pc? you need to finish watching the season.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 15:25:08

At 9/6/16 03:11 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 9/6/16 03:07 PM, Spedmallet wrote: I like the PC direction the show is taking
you think the show turned pc? you need to finish watching the season.

yes I saw the taco cannon/pregnant latinos/syrian children

what's important is that they're taking steps to make south park more pc

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 15:37:40

At 9/6/16 03:25 PM, Spedmallet wrote:

it seems the entire season went right over your head.

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 17:23:10

At 9/6/16 03:37 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 9/6/16 03:25 PM, Spedmallet wrote:

Or maybe, as the final episode came to a close and he sat there pondering and studying how it got to this, the patterns over all the seasons, the underlying moral dilemmas the characters constantly face, he understands the deep inner workings of South Park's latest season far better than the average Joe

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 17:26:34

At 9/6/16 03:30 PM, Xenomit wrote: South park has always balanced making fun of liberals with making fun of conservatives, even though they usually focus more on liberals. They've never been 100% against liberalism or 100% against conservatism.

Also political correction is just a bullshit term for autistic morons who don't understand how the human brain works.

you'll be kissing the butt of people like me when the turn of the century allows for people to medically become wolves, and the world is fighting for human animal hybrid rights.

Shame on you, I guess even though you're gay and furry you're still white cisgender scum

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to South Park is completely ruined. 2016-09-06 17:37:30

At 9/6/16 05:23 PM, Ryanson wrote:
Or maybe, as the final episode came to a close and he sat there pondering and studying how it got to this, the patterns over all the seasons, the underlying moral dilemmas the characters constantly face, he understands the deep inner workings of South Park's latest season far better than the average Joe

and the proper conclusion is that south park is going more pc? i think there's some disappointment coming soon, with the new season premiering soon.