00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Rage11603 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGMT - '15 Edition

6,066 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 03:19:54

Oh, that's right. We're back. And better than ever.

Welcome, everyone, to the 2015 NewGrounds Music Triathalon!

also known as the NGMT

For those who haven't been part of this contest in the past, this contest is all about challenges. It is a three-part contest designed to truly test the skills of musicians on Newgrounds, regardless of their preferred composition genre. It is gloriously difficult and unique on the website in terms of how it is run and how it progresses. So, let's get into it!

How does it work?

There are three rounds to the contest, each with its own unique challenge and theme. The themes are styled around one central idea which you can figure out if you want, but they're designed to work well with the challenge. Each round has a deadline of 2 weeks (similar to the NGADM), and you will know all of the challenges beforehand.

If you find that a challenge or theme just won't work for you... that's fine! You can enter any round that you want and skip any round that you want as well. If you enter all of them, you have a more likely chance of winning the contest - but you can do well by making one incredibly stellar piece, too! (See Step and Echo's piece "Encapsulation" from 2013)

You may also enter as many pieces as you want in each round, though that could decrease your chances of victory in the end...

So, for your convenience, here are all of the challenges!

Round 1: Percussive. You may only use one-shot instruments, percussive instruments, plucks, etc. And no, no cheesing out with spiccato or heavy reverb - as in, no using reverb to make a sustained note out of a one-shot, and no using short bursts of notes with sustain - if it can be sustained, it's out.

Fun fact - the first round has already had similar issues to the first round last time - defining the limits is much easier said than... stated.

Round 2: Soundfont. You may only use soundfont players (so no resampling) and the Fluid GM bank. Beyond that, you can have your normal effect library - but no other instrumcnet channels beyond the Fluid bank in a soundfont player. So it's like raw midi, but with slightly higher quality instruments and FX channels.

Fun fact - it took quite awhile to pick a good GM bank. It's also the GM bank I used when I first started making music!

Round 3: Inspired! No challenge here. Use whatever tools you have!

The only theme to always be round 3! Always.

I will be the judge of whether a piece fits the challenge, so feel free to ask me if your idea fits before writing and submitting it!

How to win.

Well. Here's why you'll be submitting your pieces anonymously. After they're submitted, I'll be stripping all metadata and uploading all the tracks with generic titles like "Track 1", "Track 2", "Track 3", etc. If you can submit your piece (to the contest, at least) without metadata, that would be excellent - it would actually help us get things set up a bit faster!

But, once they're all uploaded - it's your turn. For three days after the pieces are made, everyone who submitted at least one piece will get to vote. Each person can pick up to 3 pieces (their top three) and submit their votes. The votes need to clearly note which is #1, #2, and #3. (or just #1 and #2 if you only vote for two, if you only vote for one that's obviously #1). These votes give 3, 2, and 1 point respectively. The person with the post points at the end will then win the round - and the person with the greatest sum of points after all three rounds wins the contest! Simple.

And as for what you win...

Win a round, and you get a speshul signature and hopefully a frontpage for your victorious piece (if I get permission from the audio mods again).

Win 1st place overall, and you get a super-speshul signature, frontpaging of a piece of your choice (hopefully), and an awesome something from Samulis (once he figures it out)!

Win 2nd place overall, and you get a marginally less speshul signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice (hopefully), and a sweet something from Samulis (once he figures it out).

Win 3rd place overall, and you get a somewhat-cool signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice (hopefully), and a still-cool something from Samulis (once he figures it out).

Any ties in the final 3 will be decided by critical review by Samulis and myself on a range of criteria - including consistency in round participation, overall quality of submissions, and speed at which they are made.

But anyway, that's enough exposition... let's get to writing music!

ROUND 1 THEME AND CHALLENGE:

Your challenge is to only use percussive and one-shot instruments. Pianos, plucks, hit things smack things ping things pong things, as long as it cannot sustain a note in some fashion, you are good to go.

Your theme is the Jungle. Will you show us your wild side, or are you on an expedition?

Your deadline is November 16th, at 11:59:59 PM EST.

Also known as my birthday.

Good luck! As was the case last time, we have some inspirational art by a fantastic and relatively unknown newgrounds artist!

Remember: Any piece submitted to the newgrounds audio portal before the voting phase is over will be immediately disqualified! Send them to me, and I'll get it uploaded to the voting page!

Special thanks to:
Samulis, for the website.
Kiabugboy, for the fantastic art this year! Become a fan of his, as he deserves it!

Helpful links once the pages are updated: FAQ Submission and Voting Rules/Guidelines

NGMT - '15 Edition

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 04:20:47

At 11/2/15 03:47 AM, lasse wrote: not sure what #1 entails, do you have any examples?

Well, nearly any acoustic guitar or piano piece would qualify, or any mallet solo... or combination thereof. Almost any drums are allowed (provided it's not like, a bowed cymbal or something).

But any of these that also add most leads, woodwinds, bowed strings, pads, horns, etc - are disqualified.

Some pieces from 2013 actually fit this decently well:
@InYourDreams made this.
@alternativesolution made this.

A great example of a percussion-only piece is actually from Animusic, and it's rather famous: Pipe Dream.
More: Resonant Chamber and Gyro Drums

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 04:37:23

Awesome! This'll be fun >:D

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 05:35:43 (edited 2015-11-02 05:37:42)

At 11/2/15 04:20 AM, SkyeWint wrote:
At 11/2/15 03:47 AM, lasse wrote: not sure what #1 entails, do you have any examples?
Well, nearly any acoustic guitar or piano piece would qualify

so then for this thing, is there any important difference between the sustain on these and a synth patch with a really long decay time?

no using short bursts of notes with sustain - if it can be sustained, it's out.

why is a piano piece full of legato acceptable and a piece that uses only staccato notes on flute not?

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 07:25:03 (edited 2015-11-02 07:30:12)

This sounds like a great idea. I'm interested to see what you say to midimachine, on his question, so we can clarify whats usable. :)

At 11/2/15 05:35 AM, midimachine wrote: why is a piano piece full of legato acceptable and a piece that uses only staccato notes on flute not?

Yeah, I'm a bit stumped at this.

At 11/2/15 03:19 AM, SkyeWint wrote: And no, no cheesing out with spiccato or heavy reverb.

I'm a bit unsure at how String spiccatos are kicked out, but using piano and guitars are in? So for instance, this quick example https://instaud.io/dWZ consists of one shots, all using the same composition, but different instruments. Or are they all acceptable? Not being a dick, honestly looking to participate for a bit of fun but looking to give myself and anyone else wondering a bit of clarity on it. Especially since a Jungle is quite an organic setting, possibly complemented by organic instruments.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 08:33:26

November 16th? Gosh dang it, why so soon?

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 09:15:30

At 11/2/15 07:25 AM, PeterSatera wrote: This sounds like a great idea. I'm interested to see what you say to midimachine, on his question, so we can clarify whats usable. :)

i was thinking it'd maybe be good to amend it to "no instruments where you can control the sustain" but then you can mute just about any percussive instrument in one way or another so that wouldn't work

fwiw i think the rule about using reverb/timestretching to give a sound artificial sustain is good, cause it relates to a specific case with no contradictory terms. i dunno. if the theme is jungle maybe the rules should just be "make a footwork track" :P

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 12:34:47

At 11/2/15 09:15 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 11/2/15 07:25 AM, PeterSatera wrote: This sounds like a great idea. I'm interested to see what you say to midimachine, on his question, so we can clarify whats usable. :)
i was thinking it'd maybe be good to amend it to "no instruments where you can control the sustain" but then you can mute just about any percussive instrument in one way or another so that wouldn't work

fwiw i think the rule about using reverb/timestretching to give a sound artificial sustain is good, cause it relates to a specific case with no contradictory terms. i dunno. if the theme is jungle maybe the rules should just be "make a footwork track" :P

I think it's pretty clear honestly, when you think about how the instruments generate their sound. In the case of percussive and plucked instruments/articulations, there is a single impulse followed by a decay, while bowed and blown instruments have a continuous source of energy for vibration that is simply cut off at some point, and is often followed by a decay. Just because both forms have a decay, does not mean they are the same thing. :)

The piano does have "sustain" to it, but that sustain is constantly decaying from a percussive hit.

The "pizzicato" articulation on string instruments functions more or less the same way, but by plucking a string and letting it decay rather than hitting the string.

On the other hand, "spiccato" uses the exact same bow motion as a normal sustain, but the sustain is ceased and allowed to ring. In other words, a spiccato could last an indefinite amount of time as it is created by a continual and constant stream of energy by the bow rapidly pulling and slipping on the string. On the other hand, a pizzicato or hammer hitting on a piano is a single impulse, followed instantly by a decay.

So, if we apply this rule of thumb- the way I see it, any articulation that relies on a SINGLE, physical impulse is game. This means all "struck" percussion (both struck idiophones (marimbas, xylophones, claves, etc.) and struck membranophones (drums)), and all plucked or struck chordophones/stringed instruments (harps, harpsichords, pianos, dulcimers, zithers, guitars, etc.). Theoretically, this would also include guiros and wind-chimes.

Hope this helps!

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 12:42:57 (edited 2015-11-02 12:47:31)

At 11/2/15 05:35 AM, midimachine wrote: why is a piano piece full of legato acceptable and a piece that uses only staccato notes on flute not?

Shit. forgive me, it was excessively late at night when I responded with that. Admittedly pianos are annoyingly difficult to categorize here, as they're technically percussion, but basically having the damper pedal to make the notes last for excessively long amounts is pushing the rules a bit.

Guitars are fine unless they are overdriven or amped so that they aren't able to sustain for large periods.

Spicatto is out because it isn't percussive/plucked, basically.

or just read what Samulis said, he got to it first

In the end, you can safely assume that anything defined by Samulis is fine, and that the main point beyond that with pianos/guitars is that there aren't sustained chords or continuous legato melodies.

You can technically use the pianos and guitars to do this kind of thing. But that's not really grasping the point of the challenge, is it?

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 12:48:26

At 11/2/15 08:33 AM, 1f1n1ty wrote: November 16th? Gosh dang it, why so soon?

2 weeks, friend! In fact, 2 weeks and a day because it has three Tuesdays! (I thought I'd be slightly nicer since I was posting this at fucking 3am in the morning)

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 15:20:50

Interesting concept. I just might give this a shot.

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 15:40:57

I really enjoyed this competition last time - coming off of the NGADM I'm not sure if I want a break or not, haha. I might hop in for a round or two!

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 15:56:40

At 11/2/15 12:34 PM, samulis wrote: I think it's pretty clear honestly, when you think about how the instruments generate their sound. In the case of percussive and plucked instruments/articulations, there is a single impulse followed by a decay, while bowed and blown instruments have a continuous source of energy for vibration that is simply cut off at some point, and is often followed by a decay. Just because both forms have a decay, does not mean they are the same thing. :)

i guess that's a good way of looking at it. a karplus-strong synth patch with near-infinite feedback would fit this description though, as would someone using reverb to create a sustained note.

maybe the rules should just be "don't be a fucking smartass"? :v

p.s. i am gay

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 16:14:07 (edited 2015-11-02 16:16:01)

At 11/2/15 03:40 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: I really enjoyed this competition last time - coming off of the NGADM I'm not sure if I want a break or not, haha. I might hop in for a round or two!

Feel free to take the first round off, man! There's no obligation to participate in any round - you can skip one and jump into the others!

At 11/2/15 03:56 PM, midimachine wrote: maybe the rules should just be "don't be a fucking smartass"? :v

I would like to think that we're mature enough here to not need that kind of rule.

Then again, this is the internet.

Oh, also, that's the point of "don't use excessive reverb to fake it". I'm going to filter out the people who do this kind of thing in excess, as well as people who explicitly break the rules. And no, I won't say what "in excess" means precisely, but chances are if you're being a smartass about it, you'll fit the description - even though I'll try to be lenient.

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 17:30:09

At 11/2/15 12:34 PM, samulis wrote: I think it's pretty clear honestly, when you think about how the instruments generate their sound. In the case of percussive and plucked instruments/articulations, there is a single impulse followed by a decay, while bowed and blown instruments have a continuous source of energy for vibration that is simply cut off at some point, and is often followed by a decay. Just because both forms have a decay, does not mean they are the same thing. :)

Hope this helps!

Ah right, I get you. Synths just follow the rule of short and sweet then, and basically don't take the piss. It's quite a tough challenge. Nice.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 18:18:15

At 11/2/15 12:48 PM, SkyeWint wrote: 2 weeks, friend! In fact, 2 weeks and a day because it has three Tuesdays! (I thought I'd be slightly nicer since I was posting this at fucking 3am in the morning)

Two weeks is still really short for me. :(

I know NGADM is the same time but I had thought that it was that short because there are so many rounds.

Maybe I'm just underestimating myself. But then again I haven't made a full, original track in a long time.

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 18:58:14

At 11/2/15 05:30 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
Ah right, I get you. Synths just follow the rule of short and sweet then, and basically don't take the piss. It's quite a tough challenge. Nice.

Do it Peter! Defend your crown! :D
http://ngmt.versilstudios.net/2013.html

subtle brainswashing

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 20:48:49

At 11/2/15 05:30 PM, PeterSatera wrote:

Hope this helps!

Remember, I'm always looking for more challenges in the future! They just have a few requirements: they can't be massively biased towards a genre (if at all possible), they have to be a genuine handicap to artists, and they have to be practical to implement (audibly apparent so I can filter out ones that break the rules, available for all daws).

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-02 20:59:59

Neato

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-03 02:53:09

im gonnna mek so ood track u excite?

lel

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-03 22:44:41

At 11/3/15 02:53 AM, Sequenced wrote: im gonnna mek so ood track u excite?

Nah

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-03 22:54:23

At 11/3/15 10:44 PM, johnfn wrote:
At 11/3/15 02:53 AM, Sequenced wrote: im gonnna mek so ood track u excite?
Nah

nop

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-04 05:47:00

At 11/2/15 06:58 PM, samulis wrote:

Do it Peter! Defend your crown! :D

http://ngmt.versilstudios.net/2013.html

subtle brainswashing

Damn it! It's working! For the effort you guys put in to this though, organization, website and art then it would be nice to see many peeps get involved. It'll be great to see what people can do in such a short space of time too. I will do my best to try and put some time aside for this.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-04 07:54:57 (edited 2015-11-04 07:57:51)

So, me not being a hugely musical-term savvy person, I would ask for a little more clarification on the guitars part specifically. A plucked note or a strummed chord is okay, right? What kind of effects are allowed, if any? I understand that excessive reverb might cause a false sustained note, but are all effects a no go? I ask this because I may already have cooked something up, and I'd rather know now if I have to rework the whole thing or if I can proceed with what I have. Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to whatever results we all come to :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-04 12:28:06

At 11/4/15 07:54 AM, Septyrikon wrote: So, me not being a hugely musical-term savvy person, I would ask for a little more clarification on the guitars part specifically. A plucked note or a strummed chord is okay, right? What kind of effects are allowed, if any? I understand that excessive reverb might cause a false sustained note, but are all effects a no go? I ask this because I may already have cooked something up, and I'd rather know now if I have to rework the whole thing or if I can proceed with what I have. Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to whatever results we all come to :)

Go for all the effects you want! See how Samulis described the available instruments above. I will only remove pieces that are very obviously using sustained notes. Best rule of thumb would be: if it seems pretty borderline to you, try to avoid it. After all, the point of the challenge is to not have sustained or sustainable notes (from a single initial hit - repeat mallet hits are a good way to have chords).

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-04 12:33:18

At 11/4/15 05:47 AM, PeterSatera wrote: it would be nice to see many peeps get involved.

Well, we always appreciate it if you invite others... And that goes for anyone currently participating! After all, the more people there are, the more votes you can get if you think you're truly up to the task, right?

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-04 15:24:34

Okay, so I think what I have so far is fine then. Thanks for the clarification :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-04 18:09:52

Hm... I don't think I'll be able to do this.

Maybe if it was just the percussive limitation, I'd be fine. But the jungle theme... unless somehow, during the time period, I get a HUGE spark of inspiration, nothing close to a full work will be made.

Well... I'll keep my hopes up for next round.

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-05 17:19:21

Good to hear this competition is held again. I liked it alot last time. Not sure if I can participate though. Too many things to do.

BBS Signature

Response to NGMT - '15 Edition 2015-11-05 20:55:18

So.. for voting, I'm assuming you can't vote for yourself, yes? Like, I can't make 3 pieces and vote for all of them? lol