00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Arachnophobia

1,946 Views | 22 Replies

Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 04:46:01

According to wikipedia, "Arachnophobia affects 3.5 to 6.1 percent of the population". This figures comes from a German research paper.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong as balls.

Are you scared of spiders?
Do you know anyone who isn't?

6.1%?! THEY CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!

Children of terror

Elders are slaughtered

Blood sacrifices to the God of corn

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 04:52:16

I fucking hate how the internet has a large mass of it dedicated to people declaring their fear of spiders. Their irrational, dumb fear of spiders.

Spiders are not all that scary, folks. They're small and fucking cute. The bigger ones are cool to look at.

They're generally harmless, anyway.

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 05:08:31

At 10/30/15 04:52 AM, ThePulp wrote: cute.

You're clearly typing this from a padded cell.

Children of terror

Elders are slaughtered

Blood sacrifices to the God of corn

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 05:10:32

At 10/30/15 05:08 AM, StationToStation wrote:

Not necessarily.

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 05:23:54

At 10/30/15 04:52 AM, ThePulp wrote: I fucking hate how the internet has a large mass of it dedicated to people declaring their fear of spiders. Their irrational, dumb fear of spiders.

Spiders are not all that scary, folks. They're small and fucking cute. The bigger ones are cool to look at.

I believe this is an appropriate thread for me to post in. Be scared. Be very scared. Sooo Scaawwy(Not really)

Fear of spiders? That's an entirely learned trait. I'm convinced people fear them only because they learned to fear them because other people they knew feared them. I think they're pretty cool. Hell, I even empathize with the critters. There's one spider that's been with me a few years now or so it seems, and he/she's quite successful and proficient at leaving me bug carcasses on the floor under the web.

Even if we go full on Australian spider that eats birds, still, I mean that's Australia. Practically everything kills you in Australia. I'm pretty sure that spider will be the least of your worries there. Are you a bird? No? Then don't worry about it.

Know what else is a frequently irrationally-feared kind of animal? Snakes. Most snakes just want you to leave them the hell alone and they want to leave you the hell alone too. Most will try to get away from you. Why be scared of something that flees from you? Seems a bit silly, yes?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 07:11:12

I'm afraid of Ticks which are a form of arachnid.

As far as spiders go, I'm not really scared of them, but I can be startled when a wolfie comes out of nowhere and dashes across my feet. I generally try to catch them and put them outside but not always.

The spiders that hang out in their webs don't bother me at all.

I think things like black widows and brown recluses tend to cause the fears because people can't ID spiders.

Last week I got bitten by a spider on my wrist and now have a welt the size of a nickel, just one of the "perks" of living in the countryside.

Arachnophobia

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 08:04:07

I used to rent a room a few years back that had brown recluses running around. The trick? Leave them the hell alone.
Also my late grandmother was a black widow. Not only am I conditioned to not mind them so much, I'm also conditioned to be emotionally abused as a child by them!

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 08:54:53

I used to be "creeped" out by spiders. I just forced myself to fuck with them every time I would come across one, eventually they became more interesting to me than creepy. But you're right I don't really know anyone that isn't "scared" of em'.

brains.

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 21:43:32

Nah, man. I kill almost any other bug except spiders because they eat other bugs and they don't get in the way and just kinda chill in their corner. Unless they've got... colors or patterns or something. Cuz I don't trust those. There have been a few that have set up in this one corner in the ceiling above the shower and I always turned off the water if I thought it was gonna knock them down and I'd scooch them away.

Now ants, flies, mosquitos, tics, silverfish and fucking cockroaches can all die and go to hell.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-30 21:51:51

There's a few deadly spiders in the world, but odds are you won't run into them. Brown Recluse spider is the worst in the US AFAIK. You can't run around being afraid all the time. It's not healthy.

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-31 13:55:09

What's with all the spider love they are friggin' evil y'all, some male spiders have sex then get eaten by the woman thing, some woman spiders get eaten by the baby spiders once given birth, they aren't social and happily eat themselves coz they are stoopid, yeah I hate flies and stuff and they are meant to eat them but really have you ever witnessed this, no, they just seem to build webs all over the gaff and catch nothing, get massive then decide to try the bath and die, they are meant to heve eight legs but most are missing one, ffs I saw one with three legs the other day, dumb...

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-31 15:01:55

At 10/30/15 04:52 AM, ThePulp wrote: I fucking hate how the internet has a large mass of it dedicated to people declaring their fear of spiders. Their irrational, dumb fear of spiders.

Untill they grow big enough to eat a human then they wouldn't be so cute, id be like FML as they rolled me up in their silken web and then they suck you dry...... wait are we talking about spiders here or women?

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-10-31 15:15:14

At 10/31/15 03:01 PM, Ezariah wrote: Untill they grow big enough to eat a human then they wouldn't be so cute, id be like FML as they rolled me up in their silken web and then they suck you dry...... wait are we talking about spiders here or women?

That's the third weirdest fetish I've ever heard.

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-01 01:51:39

When I was a little kid I used to love turning over rocks to find bugs to mess around with and collect. I didn't even know I was supposed to be grossed out by them. Somewhere along the way I got conditioned to be bothered by them and I don't have a phobia or anything, but they're really gross and I have to squish them.

Maybe I got raped by a guy in a Spiderman costume or something.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-01 03:48:40 (edited 2015-11-01 03:55:19)

At 10/30/15 05:08 AM, StationToStation wrote:

Hey, this guy only needs his Rick and Morty, the padded cell keeps intruders from disturbing his favorite show.

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-01 04:33:03

Spiders are good.
They eat flys.
Flys are bad.

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-01 18:14:20

Not afraid of spiders in the sense that if I see them in my house I let them continue on their way as long as they don't get in my immediate personal space, but if they do its like a 12 round boxing fight.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-01 20:10:06

I used to be scared of bees, but one day, there was a swarm of hundreds of bees in my backyard, and I walked through them like they were nothing, and they gave no fucks, and that's on how I overcame my fear.

The trick is to not do any sudden moves and they won't fuck with you.

Also, for arachnophobia, I love spiders. Infact, when I see a spider in my house, I let it live. They're not like ants, that are god damned invaders.

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-01 23:41:19

At 10/31/15 01:55 PM, adammartin wrote: What's with all the spider love

I think spider-chan is cute.

Arachnophobia

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-02 00:04:17

At 11/1/15 11:41 PM, YomToxic wrote:
I think spider-chan is cute.

Spiders get drunk on caffeine. I learned something new by reading that manga.

Arachnophobia

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-02 08:48:57

"I haet them spiders. I die when I stumble upon them like every fucken time! >:("

Arachnophobia

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-02 21:54:57

I'm not too fond of them either, but I suppose I can try to give them a chance.

BBS Signature

Response to Arachnophobia 2015-11-02 22:32:09

There's a difference between not liking spiders and having arachnophobia. People saying they have arachnophobia is tantamount to the average 14 year old tumblr sjw claiming to have ptsd.

BBS Signature