00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NisoXD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How can you feel like less of...

2,302 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 02:36:30

A failure as a musician?

It's been playing on my mind that I am just kind of a worthless failure as a musician/producer and composer. I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way and how you coped with it.

It keeps coming into my head that I just won't make it ever, be able to somehow make a living out of this but then I think I just won't be able to because everything is just over saturated. I dunno what to do. Not trying to take the vibe down but I dunno I figure I can't be the only one whose been through this.

(***This isn't a 'omg don't say that your great!' Plea, I am just reaally trying to see what the heck I am doing wrong or if NG is even the right place for me anymore)

Thanks gang :)

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 04:26:52

Even if I don't see myself as a worthless failure (at least not now :P), I know very well what you mean.
I'm aware that music composing and producing is something very difficult to master, it takes a lot of time and effort to be even decent at it, and sadly (but also true) no everyone has what it takes to "make it".
Some people are just more talented or skilled, and there's nothing we can do to change that, but even if it's like that, the only way to be a real failure (imo) is stop trying.

If you find satisfaction on what you do, keep doing it, the more you do, the more you'll learn, and maybe one day, you may become a "big shot". The only way to find out, is to keep going.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 04:53:37

T-T
Now I feel responsible. You posted this after reading my review right? Sorry buddy. But let me tell you my story and maybe you'll not feel so bad.

I've been doing music for quite a while now (and still have a ways to go - I don't have the patience for complicated orchestration and I don't have the time to get better at mixing any more so I've plateau-ed for the time being).

However, back in 2009 (I think...) I was part of an online community and I was just finding my way as a composer for video games and my music sounded pretty crappy. I had no idea what a DAW was or how music should be mixed and I'm, to this day, completely self taught so nobody gave me a helping hand to get better.
This community I was a part of was super cynical and time and time again we'd all share work and people would be rude or cruel about my music. Not all of them, but enough for it to hurt.

With that in mind, I said, quite literally, fuck it. I'll show every last one of you.

I walked away for a year and worked my ARSE off to get better. As a student I had enough free time so I worked at least 2 hours a day, not just making music but reading, researching, LEARNING about the science and psychology of music and sound, about mixing ideas and theory, all that and more. I even took some time to learn other skills like writing which helped deepen my love of telling a story in music, something I do a lot of now.

Well I'll stop the story there because I don't want to sound snarky or anything, but I can tell you things are a LOT better now. I didn't give up and I'm a lot better off for it.

Rise to the challenge (I got second place in NGAUC with a song precisely about this last year FYI). Don't be defeated. Keep on practising. Keep on learning. One day, YOU will be the one helping others, the one people come to for advice. Music takes time, keep at it.

You're already great. You'll be amazing.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 16:14:49

At 10/4/15 04:26 AM, LexaHergon wrote: Even if I don't see myself as a worthless failure (at least not now :P), I know very well what you mean.
I'm aware that music composing and producing is something very difficult to master, it takes a lot of time and effort to be even decent at it, and sadly (but also true) no everyone has what it takes to "make it".
Some people are just more talented or skilled, and there's nothing we can do to change that, but even if it's like that, the only way to be a real failure (imo) is stop trying.

If you find satisfaction on what you do, keep doing it, the more you do, the more you'll learn, and maybe one day, you may become a "big shot". The only way to find out, is to keep going.

I just hear certain musicians that aren't skilled who magically or due to rich parents getting these huge gigs and that's what usually gets me down. Thanks for the kind words friend!

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 16:19:16

At 10/4/15 04:53 AM, MetalRenard wrote: T-T
Now I feel responsible. You posted this after reading my review right? Sorry buddy. But let me tell you my story and maybe you'll not feel so bad.

I've been doing music for quite a while now (and still have a ways to go - I don't have the patience for complicated orchestration and I don't have the time to get better at mixing any more so I've plateau-ed for the time being).

However, back in 2009 (I think...) I was part of an online community and I was just finding my way as a composer for video games and my music sounded pretty crappy. I had no idea what a DAW was or how music should be mixed and I'm, to this day, completely self taught so nobody gave me a helping hand to get better.
This community I was a part of was super cynical and time and time again we'd all share work and people would be rude or cruel about my music. Not all of them, but enough for it to hurt.

With that in mind, I said, quite literally, fuck it. I'll show every last one of you.

I walked away for a year and worked my ARSE off to get better. As a student I had enough free time so I worked at least 2 hours a day, not just making music but reading, researching, LEARNING about the science and psychology of music and sound, about mixing ideas and theory, all that and more. I even took some time to learn other skills like writing which helped deepen my love of telling a story in music, something I do a lot of now.

Well I'll stop the story there because I don't want to sound snarky or anything, but I can tell you things are a LOT better now. I didn't give up and I'm a lot better off for it.

Rise to the challenge (I got second place in NGAUC with a song precisely about this last year FYI). Don't be defeated. Keep on practising. Keep on learning. One day, YOU will be the one helping others, the one people come to for advice. Music takes time, keep at it.

You're already great. You'll be amazing.

NoNo I swear it wasnt you M.R. It is balancing the live performance with the internet realm. Your review helped a lot. My quandary is settling for music thats easy as pie to make or continuing to challenge myself to write music that legitimatelly pushes the sound to the next level, but that niche is so small compared to like some modern edm stuff. So its like sell out orrr kick it up.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 16:44:37

At 10/4/15 04:19 PM, frootza wrote: NoNo I swear it wasnt you M.R. It is balancing the live performance with the internet realm. Your review helped a lot. My quandary is settling for music thats easy as pie to make or continuing to challenge myself to write music that legitimatelly pushes the sound to the next level, but that niche is so small compared to like some modern edm stuff. So its like sell out orrr kick it up.

Then my answer is simple. Do what makes you happy.
If "selling out" (meh, I don't like the term except for certain examples) leads to you doing the job you love then do it, and use your spare time to write stuff for yourself that you love.
If writing what you love every time gives you more happiness then stick to it. Maybe someone will recognise its worth, who knows? You need, in this case, to find a job that allows you to continue working in music on the side though.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 18:03:05

I once learned many years ago that successful entrepreneurs and sellers of things have what's known as a Unique Selling Point, or USP. For us musicians, it's quite hard to find our own USP... Some of us may have already found it, but some of us are still struggling.

I agree with everything @MetalRenard said here. And: let us also take the time to think of something that we can do, that others can't -- these are our USPs. Maybe it'll net us money, maybe it won't -- but a talent like this can't go to waste. Sooner or later, the USP has to pay off, no?

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-04 18:45:32

Thanks again everyone. I dunno anymore and I just feel lost on where to go and what to do.

I will figure it out somehow.

I just don't think I am going to be able to use NG as a solid marketing tool. I've tried for six years here and it hasn't really gotten me anywhere. It's like hitting a brick wall over and over.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-05 02:24:51

My breakthrough today was that everyone is born under different circumstances and life throws different sets of cards at you all the time.

I was comparing myself to this local producer. But I realize that he had a very different upbringing. Rich parents, buying all of the equipment etc. He is someone who didn't really have to work to get where he is. It didn't click until a friend explained that was the secret of his ridiculous gear.

But, I recall people too who have to try very hard just to practice their craft not because they lack the talent but the resources. People here on NG in particular. I know it's like collecting pennies sometimes even less just to improve your set up.

There's always hope, I'm still young so I shouldn't be so critical. Going to just hit the ground running! I hope everyone else who gets in a similar rut can take some advice from this thread and do the same!

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-05 02:47:02

At 10/4/15 04:14 PM, frootza wrote:
I just hear certain musicians that aren't skilled who magically or due to rich parents getting these huge gigs and that's what usually gets me down. Thanks for the kind words friend!

I've seen some of that too, and that can be a real downer.
Some people are able to make it just because they have plenty of resources (of this kind: $) and/or connections on the "right social circles" that's how it is on business. But then again, the only way of having a chance to take a piece of that cake is being constant, and showing what you are capable of.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-05 05:11:58

At 10/4/15 02:36 AM, frootza wrote: A failure as a musician?

It's been playing on my mind that I am just kind of a worthless failure as a musician/producer and composer. I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way and how you coped with it.

It keeps coming into my head that I just won't make it ever, be able to somehow make a living out of this but then I think I just won't be able to because everything is just over saturated. I dunno what to do. Not trying to take the vibe down but I dunno I figure I can't be the only one whose been through this.

You're definitely not the only one. Been there a bunch. Missed opportunities, financial strife, gear/skill/nepotism envy , overcrowding, the whole gamut. Tough way for makers of any kind of media these days, honestly. There's no easy answer. I try to focus inwardly, since paying too much attention to others can invite comparisons that don't often do much other than intimidate and paralyze me. Personally, I wouldn't wrap up too much of your sense of success/failure in your ability to make music your end game for paying the bills. A lot of chance involved there. If the cards play out that way, that's awesome.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-05 11:50:08

@Troisnyx brings up a relevant point. You may not think you have a unique selling point, but I think if you really want to be a composer you'll make one. You'll pick out things in the history of music that have either gone relatively unnoticed in the market or innovate new ideas from what's already been done.

All in all, I think the music industry of today has this list of presets being shoveled into everyone's face, and the trick is to stay calm and not become overwhelmed or disgusted by some of what the list is telling you you should do. Listen, it can only help you further yourself to check off some of those points on their list (like a music education and rich friends) but it also really helps to develop your USP; your little curveball to the system. And I feel like developing your own philosophies contribute to your USP greatly. Passion comes from understanding yourself and your place in the world so that you know how to change it effectively. Evaluate what you want out of life, not music, because music is life and life is not just music.

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-06 03:21:56

At 10/4/15 02:36 AM, frootza wrote: A failure as a musician?

(***This isn't a 'omg don't say that your great!' Plea, I am just reaally trying to see what the heck I am doing wrong or if NG is even the right place for me anymore)

Thanks gang :)

One of the things that I do to re-invigorate myself in going back to make a new track or a new song is the following.

I will go to any website that has musicians on it trying to sell their sound. Some websites allow you to see what songs they give out as downloads for free, while other songs they put up for purchase. So I like seeing what they put up for sale, listening to it, and forming my own opinion about their work without making any troll attempts, or writing stupid reviews. I pride myself with having a sound that is much more unique instead of more cliche, or form fitting. I have only put up 2 of my works for sale. Just to see if anyone would buy it.

I have barely anyone that I consider to be a "fan" of my work. I hardly see any hearts on my tracks in NG. I post on so many different websites, and try to get my sound on podcasts, or youtube channels. (Which Youtube is F'ing hard to get your music onto without so many security checkpoints before you post your video up featuring any music. I bought and paid for everything I use to create music. Why is is so god damn hard to put your own created works in a video and uploading it anymore?)

But seriously try what I do to re imagine yourself as an artist and push yourself to sound better. Not the same, but better than your direct competition if you have any.

You have to remember that the number of people trying to sell their sound for money on the internet is upwards into the billions already. not just a few hundred thousand, or a few hundred million. Over 1 billion people have submitted at least 1 song for sale in the past 10 years. 1 Billion unique artist who have put their music piece up for sale in one form or another. I am not talking about street performers at huge events as you walk by... I am talking about the people who made the effort to record, and attempt to master their sound before selling it like I do.

1 Billion people.... And only a smidgen of people make it onto the radio per year in comparison.

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-06 16:02:51

Well i understand what you mean. Its hard to make it. Its easy these days to enjoy the possibilities of music production and almost anyone who is interested / willing can give it a shot and write some music. But we also have to be realistic:
- The competition is extreme
- Making a living from any kind of art always is extremely hard and also is a big risk
- If you want to reach your goals you have to be willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING. And i mean it ... If you have to think about if it is the right thing for you then its a no. If you just do know that music is your life, that you burn for music, that there is nothing that is more important for you, that you also would make music even you could become poor, even the music isnt accepted, if you find yourself early in the morning after a full night of composing being angry that you sometimes have got to sleep, if you always want to improve and push your limits and music is just your dedication: THEN this is your path. In all other cases i would say: Take it as a hobby and do it semi-professional. There is always a chance that a lucky moment comes where you really can get an awesome gig, deal, whatever. But if you want to be successful as an artist these days you have to love what you are doing. You have to know within yourself that this is THE only possible path you can go to be satisfied. If that is what you feel and you are willing to endure - maybe a very long time - then you WILL make it. I think this is the crucial thing.

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-06 18:38:37

At 10/4/15 02:36 AM, frootza wrote: How can you feel like less of a failure as a musician?

Make a GOOD KICK.

p.s. ur gay

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-06 18:48:46

At 10/6/15 06:38 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:
At 10/4/15 02:36 AM, frootza wrote: How can you feel like less of a failure as a musician?
Make a GOOD KICK.

Guess you got a ways to go buddy

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 13:49:33

At 10/6/15 06:48 PM, johnfn wrote:
At 10/6/15 06:38 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:
Make a GOOD KICK.
Guess you got a ways to go buddy

+1 on that. Kicks don't make a good song.

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 14:17:52

At 10/7/15 01:49 PM, guilmonx wrote: +1 on that. Kicks don't make a good song.

YES IT DOES OMG

p.s. ur gay

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 14:58:21

At 10/7/15 02:17 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:
At 10/7/15 01:49 PM, guilmonx wrote: +1 on that. Kicks don't make a good song.
YES IT DOES OMG

No. No it doesn't. If the only thing good about any song relies on a kick then I'd be a millionaire trolling all the professional DJs.

Have to say, thank you all so much for the kindness, advice and wisdom!

Where I live, (NJ) the scene is extremely saturated with musicians. Some good, some bad.

I've never really viewed any competition as extreme (yet anyway). If I can clone the sound or vibe out which I generally can, it isn't something I'm intimidated by. That's just my perspective on it though. There are definitely some production tricks that can be absolutely mind boggling though, in that sense it can be intense.

The highlight of the advice that you guys gave is the comparisons. I can also honestly say that the individual I was comparing myself to, stands nothing against the lot of you as individual composers and producers. That is the shocking thing about it. I can run rings around him (so to speak) and so can all of you guys. He's making a good living with it, has steady clientele which all gravitates back to hitting a lucky star, as I like to call it, many moons ago.

It kind of felt like meeting your rival or something.

I'm not doing THAT bad the more I think it over. I can gig, get paid from that. Developing a "studio" niche just seems so nice! Oddly even though he would be considered a competitor, I'm wondering if joining forces wouldn't be such a bad idea. Turn the negative into positive!

No intentions of quitting. NG is still awesome, but you get knocked down and get back up! Even the most successful Taylor Swift, Pharrel, big names probably go through the same thing comparing themselves in a way that is counter productive.

I have a lot to offer though, and I'm sweating it much less! Despite my lack of recent NG uploads I still have a hundred or so songs uploaded to different hosting sites. NG is a great place to learn and get feedback. The few who have made it musically here, good for you guys!

Thanks again folks, you guys are awesome MUCH LOVE <3

Willing to advise if anyone else starts feeling down about their musical goals. I feel like a billion bucks now!

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 15:27:47

At 10/7/15 02:58 PM, guilmonx wrote: No. No it doesn't. If the only thing good about any song relies on a kick then I'd be a millionaire trolling all the professional DJs.

You just don't understand the importance of a good kick.

p.s. ur gay

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 15:46:38

At 10/7/15 03:27 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:
At 10/7/15 02:58 PM, guilmonx wrote: No. No it doesn't. If the only thing good about any song relies on a kick then I'd be a millionaire trolling all the professional DJs.

You have a long ways to go buddy.

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 17:41:09

At 10/7/15 03:46 PM, guilmonx wrote:

Suck my kick
https://instaud.io/5Ue

p.s. ur gay

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 17:45:54

At 10/7/15 05:44 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I'm sure TheBetterAudioPortal is someone's alt on here.

Dat double bluff.

p.s. ur gay

Response to How can you feel like less of... 2015-10-07 19:14:14

At 10/7/15 05:44 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 10/7/15 03:46 PM, guilmonx wrote:
At 10/7/15 02:58 PM, guilmonx wrote:
I'm sure TheBetterAudioPortal is someone's alt on here.

+10.

Kicks only account for 5 percent of a song.