00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twinkle123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Glorifying killers in the media.

1,533 Views | 23 Replies

Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:04:12

So, especially in America, there have been a lot of cases of mass murder. And a lot of these cases have earned a large amount of publicity, such as Columbine, the Sandy Hook and Virgina Tech shootings, the Aurora movie theater shooting, etc. And in all of these cases, we all remember the killers. It seems as if these killers are put in the spotlight, with their names and pictures being shown all over the news, making the front pages of magazines, such as the Boston bomber on the Rolling Stone magazine, the Columbine killers on the Time Magazine, we're turning these psychos into celebrities. It ain't right, try naming some of the victims of these shooting rampages without searching online, like name some of the victims of Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, etc without going online. Most of you probably can't, but all of us know the names of the killers. The same goes for serial killers, we know all about them but barley know anything about their victims. What do you guys think? Do you agree? Please discuss, this is a serious topic.

The color of your skin is your uniform in this ultimate battle for the survival of the West.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:10:13

You know what you did by making this thread?

Glorified killers.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:14:51

At 10/3/15 02:10 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: You know what you did by making this thread?

Glorified killers.

I haven't even mentioned any of the killers names.

The color of your skin is your uniform in this ultimate battle for the survival of the West.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:15:47

At 10/3/15 02:04 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: Most of you probably can't, but all of us know the names of the killers.

Have you considered the victims' families who would not want the public eye?

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Please discuss, this is a serious topic.

Awareness is not the same as glorification. The media has a responsibility to share information.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:39:21

what about the part where you said they were all your personal heroes and you wish to one day join the league of the world's greatest mass murderers? Sounds a whole lot like you're glorifying them to me.

I don't remember saying anything like that.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:40:04

At 10/3/15 02:33 PM, Vinnyy wrote: Exposing murderers to the public and making everyone aware of them is not the same as glorifying them. There's a huge difference.

I totally agree, but the media often puts the killers in the spotlight, and gives them this celebrity type status.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:41:25

At 10/3/15 02:15 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 10/3/15 02:04 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: Most of you probably can't, but all of us know the names of the killers.
Have you considered the victims' families who would not want the public eye?
What do you guys think? Do you agree? Please discuss, this is a serious topic.
Awareness is not the same as glorification. The media has a responsibility to share information.

Yes, I suppose you're right about the victim's family part. And I agree about awareness, but like I previously said, the media puts them in the spotlight, gives them WAY too much attention, and then there are other crazy people who want to imitate them.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:43:43

At 10/3/15 02:41 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: Yes, I suppose you're right about the victim's family part. And I agree about awareness, but like I previously said, the media puts them in the spotlight, gives them WAY too much attention, and then there are other crazy people who want to imitate them.

Would these "other crazy people" be dissuaded from mass murder if the media conceal it? I think not.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:45:58

At 10/3/15 02:43 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 10/3/15 02:41 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: Yes, I suppose you're right about the victim's family part. And I agree about awareness, but like I previously said, the media puts them in the spotlight, gives them WAY too much attention, and then there are other crazy people who want to imitate them.
Would these "other crazy people" be dissuaded from mass murder if the media conceal it? I think not.

Yeah, sure, but Columbine has caused a lot of copycat attacks. There was this guy who tried to imitate the Aurora shooting, I guess it inspires mentally unbalanced people to commit rampages for attention.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 14:51:55

There are a lot of people who worship these murderers as gods, and it's ridiculous.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 16:00:56

At 10/3/15 03:48 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/3/15 02:04 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: ain't
Contraction: a shortened form of a word or group of words

Can't - Can not
Don't - Do not
Won't - Will not
Shouldn't - Should not
Haven't - Have not

Ain't....

Am not

It am not right

Ain't is used because it can actually be any/all of those things.

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 16:06:32

At 10/3/15 04:03 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/3/15 04:00 PM, poinl wrote: Ain't is used because it can actually be any/all of those things.
To be grammatically correct, the only proper way I can think of at the moment of using ain't is "I ain't".

"He ain't" should be "He isn't"

"We ain't" should be "We aren't"

And so on

I just find it a lazy way to not have to search for the right word among can't don't won't isn't etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 16:34:38

At 10/3/15 03:00 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 10/3/15 02:51 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: There are a lot of people who worship these murderers as gods, and it's ridiculous.
yeah, we're looking at one

You altered that. lololol

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 16:36:02

At 10/3/15 03:48 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/3/15 02:04 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: ain't
Contraction: a shortened form of a word or group of words

Can't - Can not
Don't - Do not
Won't - Will not
Shouldn't - Should not
Haven't - Have not

Ain't....

Am not

It am not right

Fine, it ISN'T right, there? You happy now? Now stop arguing about grammar, you fuckwits.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 16:37:45

Instead of debating over whether or not we should glorify these killers, let's think of ways to prevent this shit from happening in the first place.

Every shooting, the media finds a new topic to discuss other than the matter at hand. It's actually pretty impressive.

Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 18:26:06

At 10/3/15 02:33 PM, Vinnyy wrote: Exposing murderers to the public and making everyone aware of them is not the same as glorifying them. There's a huge difference.

Putting the kid who bombed Boston on the cover of Rolling Stone is glorifying.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 19:14:04

If we executed them with a swift trial after they are found guilty, it could be a deterrent. But all these guys see this and they want to be famous, even if in a bad way. It's sad the state of reality these days.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-03 21:19:23

At 10/3/15 04:37 PM, Seasons wrote: Instead of debating over whether or not we should glorify these killers, let's think of ways to prevent this shit from happening in the first place.

That's a tough question to answer. I think you have to look at each situation individually. What motivated the Columbine assholes is going to be different than what motivated the theater asshole or the Boston bomber assholes.

What motivates a couple of high school kids to go on a murder rampage? That's what I keep thinking. Years of abuse and neglect and bullying at school? That's the stuff I think we have to figure out for starters.

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-04 07:42:46

it's not gloryifing if its used to raise awareness about the shootings

Sig made by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-04 15:05:20

Of course the media is going to mention the killer's name, that's kind of important information. Also, they aren't glorifying them, they know that what the killer did was wrong, and of course their actions are going to raise awareness, but it DEFINITELY won't glorify the killer on the news or wherever it's reported.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-06 12:21:50

At 10/3/15 02:04 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: try naming some of the victims of these shooting rampages without searching online, like name some of the victims of Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, etc without going online. Most of you probably can't, but all of us know the names of the killers.

I can't name either of those, they could all be named Jack Jackson and i'd believe it.
Before Googling it i actually thought Sandy Hook was some school that had been destroyed during hurricane Sandy.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

At 10/3/15 02:04 PM, DOOKIEMALLO wrote: It ain't right, try naming some of the victims of these shooting rampages without searching online, like name some of the victims of Columbine

I thought that 'Rachel's Challenge' movement came to everyone's high school, cuhz it did to mines in Cali back in 2008. It was actually very touching/inspiring

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

you have a very loose grasp on your vocabulary.

nobody is saying "hey, go out and kill people", they're saying, "hey, look at this fucked up shit that's gonna make you sick to your stomach. don't fucking do this"

that's like saying anti-smoking PSAs are glorifying cigarettes.

At 10/3/15 04:37 PM, Seasons wrote: Every shooting, the media finds a new topic to discuss other than the matter at hand. It's actually pretty impressive.

I don't really agree entirely. While that can happen, most of the time the topic immediately discussed nowadays is gun control. Which is definitely relevant regardless of your views.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Glorifying killers in the media. 2015-10-07 02:42:47

Killing is glorified not only in the media, but in all facets of our society. From a ripe young age kids have been playing with toy soldiers and video games where you win by killing other humans. It's even ingrained in our language the way "killer" can be used as an adjective for something you think is cool. There's going to be another flood.

BBS Signature