00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StemlyAnarchy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Passwords being hidden by *****

1,954 Views | 25 Replies

Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 12:21:56

I hate how almost every single password thing does this, it is so inconvenient. "But it is to stop people seeing your password being typed" yes, but as with putting in your PIN when buying something you usually don't put such a thing on display for people to see and thus people don't know it. This is exceptionally annoying considering I only access passworded things at home. The place no one would be able to look at my password being typed. But no I STILL have to deal with this shit.

The problem is obvious, you can't fucking see if you made a mistake. If I think I made a mistake I need to delete the whole thing to be safe and retype it all again. Also if I am in the dark and want to just guess where the keys are I can't do this and delete the wrong inputs until I get it all done right. I need to fucking turn on a light to see the fucking keys.

Why do we have to deal with such a fucking inconvenience? Think of all the time wasted from dealing with this shit.

I would have said asterics in the title but I realised I don't know how to spell it and don't give enough of a shit about the spelling to look it up or attempt to spell it differently to see if auto-correct wants to provide that answer.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 12:30:42

asterisks

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 12:32:35

If it bothers you that much why not install a custom Javascript add on for your browser and automatically change all the password boxes to plain text?

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 12:35:23

I especially hate it when I have to type a long password. So easy to make a mistake, so easy to screw up. Even if I have it imprinted in my brain, I still make a mistake every now and then, hit the wrong key by accident, etc.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 12:36:20

It's an old design practice which stemmed from the belief that users feel safer when keying in passwords if they can't see it. I thought it was pretty cool.

Not sure if it still applies but some companies have started placing a peek button beside the field.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 12:46:52

I do think it is annoying, and I don't know that it does much for security minus some guy watching over your shoulder.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 18:51:13

It seems like a good idea to me. It stops some random jerkoff from looking at your password while you're signing in.

But if you're really that poor a typist, they have addons that will show your password in plain text.

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 18:53:04

I can type without looking at the keys so I never make mistakes in typing my password. I'll totally trade nudes of Tom for my password though.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-29 19:50:32

So when you log in, no jackass can see your password.

Though I never log in when there's someone around. That just seems kinda rude. And the last time I used a computer to go online in a library was... damn, I think 2006. Huh.

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-30 20:58:16

I frequently log into my accounts on public computers. Thank Satan for those asterisks, the idiots around me can't remember my login. I would think it also prevents people from hacking you if they can find a way to see what's happening on your screen.

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-30 21:02:09

Oh wow this thing actually works in here, try it out guys

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-09-30 21:10:36

At 9/29/15 12:21 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: if I am in the dark and want to just guess where the keys are I can't do this and delete the wrong inputs until I get it all done right. I need to fucking turn on a light to see the fucking keys.

Have you never noticed that the F and J keys have little bumps on them so you can orient your hands on the keyboard without looking?

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-01 01:40:43

At 9/29/15 12:42 PM, Vixuzar wrote: Or basically use the "Keep me logged-in" Option.
So you wouldn't have to type your password at all.

On the contrary,that option doesn't last that long at all..Eventually you're going to have to re-enter in your information..

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-01 07:49:07

I'm fine with it on a computer but if i'm on the phone it gets super annoying, i'm still not that great at typing with a touchscreen.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-01 08:35:47

At 10/1/15 07:49 AM, Radaketor wrote: I'm fine with it on a computer but if i'm on the phone it gets super annoying, i'm still not that great at typing with a touchscreen.

Yeah alternating caps and symbols. So much effort to type 10 characters.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-01 10:49:45

I used to get on Kongregate, and in the chat room I'd say how if you entered your password in the chatbox, it would automatically censor it, and I remember tricking one person into actually giving out their password, and I stole their account. I didn't think it'd work at all, it's one of the oldest tricks in the book. haha

The color of your skin is your uniform in this ultimate battle for the survival of the West.

Nope

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 00:51:03

It's because strings of characters made for security purposes are swear words for computers!

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

/facepalm

Passwords being hidden by *****

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 01:25:21

At 10/2/15 01:05 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 9/29/15 12:21 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I need to fucking turn on a light to see the fucking keys.
You don't know the keys by muscle memory? I've been typing for 13 years now, just to prove a point to myself I typed this entire sentence while closing my eyes.

With light I can mostly type accurately, without light I can't. I do tend to look down at my keys while I type and can kind of type fastish while doing this, otherwise I can tend to see a little from the courner of my eyes or, dare I say, my PERIPHERAL VISION see I can write creepypastas also. So yea, without the light it gets screwed up.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 01:52:00

At 10/1/15 10:11 PM, Piggler wrote: My password is actually just a bunch of asterisks.

I thought that I was the only one who did that? lol

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 02:02:10

At 10/1/15 10:11 PM, Piggler wrote: My password is actually just a bunch of asterisks.

My password is actually a bunch of swear words but because I'm a cartoon character it just looks like a bunch of asterisks.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 02:04:20

I know there are a few places that have a little tic-box that you can check that allows you to actually see what youre typing in when youre typing it, but not all places have this, and its annoying.
I feel your pain Ragnarokia

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 03:03:12

At 10/2/15 02:04 AM, Lionelion wrote: I know there are a few places that have a little tic-box that you can check that allows you to actually see what youre typing in when youre typing it, but not all places have this, and its annoying.
I feel your pain Ragnarokia

Actually, here's a very simple thing both you and Ragnarokia can do if not being able to see your typed passwords bothers you that much, and it doesn't require installing any add-ons or new software either.

Simply try this.

Next time you're going to enter a password to some site or in some program, open up Notepad and just type your password there. Then, Ctrl-A Ctrl-C. Then click where you normally would type the password and Ctrl-V. Presto! You now can see your passwords as you type.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 03:48:56

At 10/2/15 03:03 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Next time you're going to enter a password to some site or in some program, open up Notepad and just type your password there. Then, Ctrl-A Ctrl-C. Then click where you normally would type the password and Ctrl-V. Presto! You now can see your passwords as you type.

I feel like someone told me this before and I just forgot. Now I feel stupid

Response to Passwords being hidden by ***** 2015-10-02 05:38:24

At 10/2/15 01:05 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 9/29/15 12:21 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I need to fucking turn on a light to see the fucking keys.
You don't know the keys by muscle memory? I've been typing for 13 years now, just to prove a point to myself I typed this entire sentence while closing my eyes.

Glorious performance! The power!

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature