00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Classic cartoons

2,786 Views | 28 Replies

Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 16:06:55

Is anyone else a fan?

I'm not talking about those damned 90's cartoons like Recessor Tiny Toon Adventures. Not that there's anything wrong with those, but whenever I ask this the 90's is usually where people take it. I'm not talking about the 90's. I'm talking about the 1910's, 20's, and 30's. The really old stuff.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 16:11:42

At 9/17/15 04:09 PM, Homicidee wrote: I bet they where cool compared to now, sadly I wasn't born at that time. :(

Well, I wasn't born in that time, either, but I still watch them.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 16:54:10

Not sure if I've seen anything that goes that far back, but I used to watch a lot of Looney Tunes as a kid and that was pretty fun. Been watching some Cowboy Bebop and DBZ recently.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 17:06:49

I heard the characters would sometimes commit suicide.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 17:16:11

Betty Boop was actually based on a black woman.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 17:45:21

At 9/17/15 04:57 PM, Vinnyy wrote:
At 9/17/15 04:54 PM, Dean wrote: Not sure if I've seen anything that goes that far back, but I used to watch a lot of Looney Tunes as a kid and that was pretty fun. Been watching some Cowboy Bebop and DBZ recently.
Nice! Are you a fan of old, classic anime?

Ehh, I'm not a massive anime fan or anything, but I've seen a few series/films that I enjoyed. Currently waiting on the Gurren Lagann blu ray box set to arrive. Know almost nothing about it but it was recommended and I just happened to find it super cheap so thought I'd take a chance on it.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 18:16:55

I watch quite a bit of it on the internet archives.

https://archive.org/details/classic_cartoons

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 19:57:00

At 9/17/15 05:06 PM, Painbringer wrote: I heard the characters would sometimes commit suicide.

Tom and Jerry did. I remember that. I recall Daffy Duck accidentally killing himself as well.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 20:28:38

The old Superman cartoons are still pretty sweet.

He's a bit of a Marty Stu in them though... ah well. I don't think his heavy hitting enemies got established until later. Lex Luthor showed up in the 40s though, he was a bit a general mad scientist type.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 20:29:01 (edited 2015-09-17 20:35:24)

At 9/17/15 05:06 PM, Painbringer wrote: I heard the characters would sometimes commit suicide.

Especially when they've seen it all.

Edit: They could also be pretty weird in general...
http://tinyurl.com/od9vns9

youtube link

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 20:35:35

At 9/17/15 08:29 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote:
Especially when they've seen it all.

Edit: They could also be pretty weird in general...
youtube link

Whoaaaaaa what was that?

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 20:39:11

At 9/17/15 08:35 PM, CiviLies wrote:
Whoaaaaaa what was that?

There are some really old Micky Mouse comics were they played suicide as a gag.

Very different values.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 20:49:07

I've been taking an animation history class so we've been shown a lot of old stuff some of which is hard to come by like Disneys old Alice Toons, and Gertie The Dinosaur (which inspired most of the old great animators)

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 20:54:50

At 9/17/15 04:06 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Is anyone else a fan?

I really only watch modern cartoons because I do not have cable.
I've seen some of the real old stuff and that can get creepy sometimes.
I don't really care for the really old stuff the animation is just kinda disturbs me.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 21:06:46

At 9/17/15 08:54 PM, Schizo-Sephy wrote:
At 9/17/15 04:06 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Is anyone else a fan?
I really only watch modern cartoons because I do not have cable.
I've seen some of the real old stuff and that can get creepy sometimes.
I don't really care for the really old stuff the animation is just kinda disturbs me.

The disturbing part is what makes it so much fun.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-17 23:10:32

At 9/17/15 05:14 PM, bodewash wrote: Space Ghost Coast to Coast was great.

GOD, wasn't it?! The era where "O, Canada" was still around late at night, pre-adult swim, Space Ghost CtC was fucking awesome.
I was born twice. Once when I came from my mother, and the second time when I watched Space Ghost CtC.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 08:38:49

At 9/17/15 11:10 PM, PussyShark wrote:
At 9/17/15 05:14 PM, bodewash wrote: Space Ghost Coast to Coast was great.
GOD, wasn't it?! The era where "O, Canada" was still around late at night, pre-adult swim, Space Ghost CtC was fucking awesome.
I was born twice. Once when I came from my mother, and the second time when I watched Space Ghost CtC.

You guys remember how he used to touch his forearm with his finger as he pointed at things or people and would switch back and forth? I do that to my wife when she asks me to do shit I don't want to do. Like pass her something or change the channel or some other bullshit. She has no idea what I'm doing nor where it came from and it drives her nuts. In other words it's awesome.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 10:32:38

Anime from the 70's and 80's caused something in italy. now everybody says ''CARTOONS TODAY SUCK'' here in italy. nobody watches cartoon network and over the garden wall.

and one and two and three...

TOM ON BOAAAAAAAAAAARD.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 11:28:59

At 9/18/15 08:38 AM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
You guys remember how he used to touch his forearm with his finger as he pointed at things or people and would switch back and forth? I do that to my wife when she asks me to do shit I don't want to do. Like pass her something or change the channel or some other bullshit. She has no idea what I'm doing nor where it came from and it drives her nuts. In other words it's awesome.

HA! I used to laugh every time he did it to zorak, cheap running gag but funny every time. You're a great man, Poozy. She doesn't know how lucky she is.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 12:09:56

At 9/18/15 11:28 AM, PussyShark wrote: HA! I used to laugh every time he did it to zorak, cheap running gag but funny every time. You're a great man, Poozy. She doesn't know how lucky she is.

She knows bro. I'm even luckier to have her. We're complete opposites. We both hate practically everything the other enjoys, like TV shows movies and music etc. But we also can do what the other can't. We make a great team. One of my super powers is making her laugh even when she's furious. The more furious the better.

Like "grrrr ahahHaHAHANO! FUCK YOU DIE I HATE YOU!". It tastes like candy.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 12:14:32

At 9/18/15 12:09 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
It tastes like candy.

At this juncture in my life at 26, I kinda just date around. And although it's fun and has its perks, it's what YOU have that I really want.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 12:17:17

The 1920's and 1930's had classic hits such as this famous toon you've probably heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgghnQF6E4

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-18 14:18:53

Didn't grow up in that era but I did watch alot of Steamboat Mickey, and the cartoons that came after.

I also watched a lot of 80s cartoons but don't think 80s were classic lol

Looney Toons is also great, especially the political spoofy ones. So much stereotyping but it was all in good fun and nobody seemed to care because that was how it was back in the day.

I also enjoyed Rocky and Bullwinkle and Flintstones (both started in the 60s). (=

If you are not playing the game, then you are letting the game play you. Twitter: @Hypnotikid

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-19 00:39:22 (edited 2015-09-19 00:45:46)

Hannah barabara stuff is shit. Not even that it didn't age well if I wasn't a child when I first watched those I'm sure I wouldn't have liked them at all. I tried watching Catch the Pigeon and Topcat recently and couldn't make it through a single episode of either they were so fucking dull. Literally none of the jokes even made me smile everything in it was just dull and boring, I couldn't even enjoy it from a trainwreck perspective as it didn't make me angry or anything, just dull as fuck. Also graphically they look shit as compared to newer cartoons using flash and the like. Cheaper flash like in MLP is so much better than the expensive old drawn style. It just plain is in every way.

I made a point of NOT watching Wacky Racers since I remembered loving that show as a child....and to be honest, I want to leave that obviously nostalgia blinded childhood memory in my mind and not look at how shit it is like Topcat and Catch the Pigeon evidently are.

As for black and white cartoons I haven't seen any outside of "tributes" of them which are shit, and so I don't watch them, since if the tributes in games and the like (the black and white section of Kingdom Hearts 2 as an example) is shit with newer technology and humour I dread to think what the actual things were like.

As for Loony Tunes, I don't like the older stuff, I can watch Road Runner that is solid and also I love Tom and Jerry and Rugrats but outside of those my cartoons need to be the newer shit from the flash age. So much more appealing and funny. Like I loved Taz and the like in his nice 90's show and love some of the Loony Tunes games like Taz-Wanted, but Bugs Bunny cartoons fuck that shit, him and the duck and the woodpecker and the like just seem boring to me. Sylvester and Tweety are good but only from their respective Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries show I watched which again, was 90's.

Not to say all cartoons in the 90's were good, like The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was pure gold but Sonic Underground made me cringe even when a child. Sonic SatAM seemed decent but fuck that ever being aired in England I remember seeing like 3 episodes.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-19 00:46:02

At 9/19/15 12:39 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Hannah barabara stuff is shit.

You should check out Yo Yogi just so you can froth with rage.

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-19 01:02:01

At 9/19/15 12:46 AM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 9/19/15 12:39 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Hannah barabara stuff is shit.
You should check out Yo Yogi just so you can froth with rage.

Oh god I remember Yogi Bear. That was something I do actually now remember disliking when I was a child and finding Yogi exceptionally annoying. Probably unique for all my cartoons to actually hate one like that so I probably would rage if watched now.....but on the good side I guess that does mean it isn't as dull as the others but it doesn't attract the wanted emotions.

BBS Signature

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-19 01:10:18

At 9/19/15 01:02 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
Oh god I remember Yogi Bear. That was something I do actually now remember disliking when I was a child and finding Yogi exceptionally annoying.

Yo Yogi was an attempt to make Yogi Bear 'hip and cool'. Just guess how well it was recieved.

GUESS.

Classic cartoons

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-19 01:11:03 (edited 2015-09-19 01:14:21)

I watched a lot of Looney Tunes as a kid. I also really loved Tom & Jerry. I think Tom & Jerry may have actually been the first cartoon I saw, back when I still lived in the Soviet Union. I think I was about 1 or 2 when I first saw it. Cartoons were pretty rare in those days, so I was very fortunate to have access to a TV on the days they played. There was a bunch of obscure ones they used to show on Yeralash that I liked, but I can't remember the names.

I also loved Transformers and Adventures of Mowgli

Response to Classic cartoons 2015-09-19 01:17:12

At 9/19/15 01:10 AM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 9/19/15 01:02 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
Oh god I remember Yogi Bear. That was something I do actually now remember disliking when I was a child and finding Yogi exceptionally annoying.
Yo Yogi was an attempt to make Yogi Bear 'hip and cool'. Just guess how well it was recieved.

GUESS.

There should be a rule against posting images that scare for life....I did mean to say scar, but that typo works so I won't remove it.

BBS Signature