00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why Was This Taken Down?

2,929 Views | 25 Replies

Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 21:37:14

9/11 Gay Dad Official Trailer. Did it brake any rules? I know allot of people mite fined it offensive but what rule did it brake?
Hers a link to a version of it that I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ1l3vWZB9U
Let me know if you know what rule it broke.
Also let me know if my post broke any rules and I'll take it down.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 21:51:48

The rules:

You must be the owner and creator of the work you are submitting.
    Your work may not be racist, homophobic, hateful or illegal.
    Your work may not blatantly come from a tutorial.
    If your submission is adult in nature, it must be your own original artwork and not involve photo or video nudity.
    If you are directly making light of / exploiting a tragedy, we may or may not choose to stand by your freedom of expression. You may have to take it somewhere else. We've defended a lot of stuff in the past but nothing is absolute.

If you didn't break one of these rules then it was removed because its score was too low. This is called "blamming" and it can happen to any submission that has yet to pass Judgment.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 22:03:18

Simply comparing the title logo to your profile picture, it probably wasn't yours?

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 22:11:13

At 9/11/15 10:03 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Simply comparing the title logo to your profile picture, it probably wasn't yours?

For the record it's not mine and i never said it was. I found it on the Newgrounds front-page and it sent me to an error page I then searched for it on YouTube. Then asked my question here. And apparently since 911 is a tragedy they can take this video down. That's pretty crumby.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 22:14:11

At 9/11/15 10:11 PM, Jonathan94 wrote:
At 9/11/15 10:03 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Simply comparing the title logo to your profile picture, it probably wasn't yours?
For the record it's not mine and i never said it was. I found it on the Newgrounds front-page and it sent me to an error page I then searched for it on YouTube. Then asked my question here. And apparently since 911 is a tragedy they can take this video down. That's pretty crumby.

Yes well this is a private website and it's their discretion to do so.

I don't feel like bothering watching this vid anyways, people make little quips here and there about it but others get sooo fucking disrespectful.

It's like, how would you like if somebody killed your family and pissed on their grave.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 22:23:41

Yes well this is a private website and it's their discretion to do so.

I don't feel like bothering watching this vid anyways, people make little quips here and there about it but others get sooo fucking disrespectful.

It's like, how would you like if somebody killed your family and pissed on their grave.

Ofcourse they have the legal right to take it down but it's still a jerk move.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 22:51:13

So you posted something that wasn't yours, something that you just found on the internet is that correct?
If so then that is the reason why it was deleted/removed and the only reason because you basically stole it.
If it's not your own original work, it's stolen.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 23:01:32 (edited 2015-09-11 23:03:54)

At 9/11/15 10:51 PM, gamejunkie wrote: So you posted something that wasn't yours, something that you just found on the internet is that correct?
If so then that is the reason why it was deleted/removed and the only reason because you basically stole it.
If it's not your own original work, it's stolen.

No. allot of people think I made or posted the 911 cartoon. I didn't. I just wanted to know why the 911 cartoon was taken down. One of the respondents posted some rules that the cartoon may have broken. And basically your not allowed to make fun of tragedys and Newgrounds considers 911 a tragedy so they took it down.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-11 23:15:22

With a title like "9/11 Gay Dad Official Trailer", you can just tell it's a cinematic masterpiece. It's probably for the best that it was taken down. I was unaware that they took things down that mocked tragedies, but I'm not complaining at all.

Also, work on your spelling. People will take you more seriously. I know I will.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 02:39:16

At 9/11/15 09:37 PM, Jonathan94 wrote: 9/11 Gay Dad Official Trailer. Did it brake any rules? I know allot of people mite fined it offensive but what rule did it brake?

Update apparently this work wasn't removed because it made fun of 9 11. It was taken down because the character designs and story where stolen.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 08:25:25

At 9/12/15 02:55 AM, TatteredFlag wrote:
At 9/11/15 09:51 PM, Bit wrote: The rules:
Kinda funny seeing that this site was founded by exploiting the Columbine shooting.

Nobody really likes the new rules. They were only put in place to stop potential advertisers from being scared off.

It started around the time of the Sandy Hook Massacre Game -- which was actually much tamer than you would imagine. The real purpose of the game was to convince people that the second amendment needs to be repealed.

That was the beginning of the end, really. Newgrounds was one of the precious few websites which still had the 'Wild West' feel of the Old Internet. One of the last bastions of true free speech not when that free speech was easy to defend, but when it was hard.

Newgrounds is still a great place, but a small part of it died the day the Sandy Hook game was removed. Since then we've had a few other notable submissions removed such as Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian and others.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 18:00:49

At 9/12/15 05:42 PM, KhanKhendo wrote: Your post breaks every rule imaginable. Go fuck yourself.

I was asking why the 911 cartoon was taken down. I did not make or claim to make that cartoon. The post I was referring to was the forum post. I thought posting a link to offensive material might be against the rules.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 18:16:49

At 9/12/15 05:25 PM, TatteredFlag wrote:
At 9/12/15 08:25 AM, Bit wrote:
Kinda funny seeing that this site was founded by exploiting the Columbine shooting.
Nobody really likes the new rules. They were only put in place to stop potential advertisers from being scared off.
4chan is doing just fine.

4chan also likely costs much, much less to operate. They can survive off of their hentai ads alone.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 18:23:22

At 9/12/15 08:25 AM, Bit wrote: Newgrounds is still a great place, but a small part of it died the day the Sandy Hook game was removed. Since then we've had a few other notable submissions removed such as Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian and others.

remember the bastard collection

good times

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 18:43:32 (edited 2015-09-12 18:47:08)

At 9/12/15 06:18 PM, TatteredFlag wrote:
At 9/12/15 06:16 PM, Bit wrote:
At 9/12/15 05:25 PM, TatteredFlag wrote:
At 9/12/15 08:25 AM, Bit wrote:
4chan is doing just fine.
4chan also likely costs much, much less to operate. They can survive off of their hentai ads alone.
Hard to say, I'd imagine the 4chan servers would cost a lot more to operate seeing a single of their boards does more traffic in a day than this place will do in a week. From what I've seen and read thus far. I only came here because I heard this is where sexuallobster started so I am still doing my research.

4chan is 99% text and low-resolution JPEG images.

Newgrounds hosts high-resolution artwork, MP3 music, SWF, and MP4 streams.

JPEG images are roughly 50-300kB each, and only the thumbnail is loaded unless you view it at full size so you're really using much less bandwidth.

Sexual-Lobster's Sweet Sweet Goo is 147MB and has been viewed 19,356 times in the last 11 days.

Edit: That's 2.85TB in the last 11 days... from only one submission.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 19:20:26

At 9/12/15 06:51 PM, TatteredFlag wrote: Yes I can understand that but while newgrounds has something like 2.5 million unique visitors a month, 4chan is around 22 million. Not to mention with over 1 million new posts a day you're going to need some heavy duty servers. All those images can add up. If your average JPG is something like 150mb and say that a quarter of those 1 million posts(its over but lets just round down for the sake of math) are images, thats A LOT of data moving through.

Your average image isn't '150mb', it's more like 150kB. 250,000 images at 150kB is only 37.5GB. Even if our numbers are way off, I can't imagine them being out by more than an order of magnitude or so.

And when I mentioned the estimated bandwidth used by Sweet Sweet Goo, I was only taking into account one single submission over the last 11 days. Definitely not the whole site. I would bet that Newgrounds uses A LOT more bandwidth than 4chan does per day.

Of course, we could just ask.

@TomFulp
@BrenTheMan

How much bandwidth does Newgrounds use per day? I would think that it's on the order of tens of terrabytes.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 21:28:15

At 9/12/15 08:14 PM, TatteredFlag wrote:
At 9/12/15 07:20 PM, Bit wrote: Your average image isn't '150mb', it's more like 150kB. 250,000 images at 150kB is only 37.5GB. Even if our numbers are way off, I can't imagine them being out by more than an order of magnitude or so.

And when I mentioned the estimated bandwidth used by Sweet Sweet Goo, I was only taking into account one single submission over the last 11 days. Definitely not the whole site. I would bet that Newgrounds uses A LOT more bandwidth than 4chan does per day.

Of course, we could just ask.

@TomFulp
@BrenTheMan

How much bandwidth does Newgrounds use per day? I would think that it's on the order of tens of terrabytes.
I did mean kb. However I would reckon this site only sees a couple hundred submissions at most a day. Most of which couldn't be at that 150mb limit you gave for sexual lobster.

The amount of data transferred per day as a result of uploads is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of data transferred as a result of users viewing the content. Each complete view is a total download of the file. Data is not simply transferred one way.

That 2.85TB was just one of Sexual-Lobster's submissions over a period of 11 days. Imagine how much bandwidth it will use by the time it gets to the same number of views as the rest of his submissions? That's one submission by one well-know artist. If you factor in the rest of his submissions, you're looking at roughly one metric shit-tonn of data.

Then you need to consider that there are other very famous Newgrounds artists. HappyHarry's latest submission is 60.3MB with 134,428 views, meaning 8.12TB transferred. The Reward: Tales of Alethrion is 131MB with 49,460 views, meaning 6.48TB. Numa Numa Dance, Newgrounds' most viewed submission of all time is only 4.59MB, but over its 16,927,512 views resulted in 77TB of data transferred from Newgrounds' servers.

And those are just a few popular submissions. Adding in all other submissions (popular and unpopular) will result in a much higher number.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 21:47:12

It must've been blammed, either because it's offensive to some, or it's just not funny at all. (Not because it focuses on 9/11, it just doesn't have any good humor)

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 21:55:20

At 9/12/15 09:51 PM, TatteredFlag wrote: Actually reading into it was a huge case of plagiarism. The mods were in the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acRZzLvEfdE

edit: Oh neat is plays right in the post.

Well there you have it.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 22:25:24

At 9/12/15 09:46 PM, TatteredFlag wrote: And seeing that 22 million viewers(in the run of a day) go through 4chan compared to 3.5 million for here, thats a lot more eyes and a lot more people browsing.

Number of viewers doesn't increase costs though. It's entirely bandwidth which increases costs.

Also two completely different websites will have different strategies for how to pay for hosting costs. I'm sure if Tom Fulp was okay with running adult ads, the nature of Newgrounds would be very different from what it is, but that would also lose a lot of other advertisers. Plus I don't think he wants only adult viewers/users of the site or there wouldn't be age-appropriate ratings on/for submissions.

Think of it another way too -- typically the most virus-laden ads tend to be adult-oriented ads right? So while there's occasionally problems with advertisers, they would be more frequent with adult ads, *if* you actually care about your site visitors, which Tom Fulp does care.

And there's also the issue of .. it's pretty all-or-nothing. You can have adult advertisers or you can have more "normal" advertisers, but you can't really do both as most of the "normal" advertisers won't advertise on adult sites. And he's probably getting more money from the "normal" advertisers than he'd get from the adult ones due to the kind of content Newgrounds tends to host. And you overly restrict the kinds of people who can visit your site once you make it "adult".

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 22:36:06

At 9/12/15 09:46 PM, TatteredFlag wrote: And seeing that 22 million viewers(in the run of a day) go through 4chan compared to 3.5 million for here, thats a lot more eyes and a lot more people browsing.

I don't think you're really understanding the difference between page views and data transferred.

The majority of 4chan is still HTML and JPEGs. 22 million viewers can be thought of as 22 million grains of sand.

The majority of Newgrounds is animation. 3.5 million viewers can be thought of as 3.5 million reasonably-sized pebbles.

Which do you think has more mass? 22 million grains of sand or 3.5 million pebbles?

Transferred over how long? I mean even if they get 1000 views a day each thats really not that much. Also too you have to remember that 4chan has now introduced webms, with an average between 500kb and 4mb. THOUSANDS of those are uploaded daily.

4MB (big M, big B) for 50,000 views/uploads is 200GB, assuming they're actually viewed that many times and all of the videos are exactly 4MB.

(19,518 views / 11 days) * 147MB is 261GB/day for one animation from one artist.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-12 23:22:49 (edited 2015-09-12 23:26:37)

At 9/12/15 10:45 PM, TatteredFlag wrote: 22 million grains of sand. Easily. Also in those 22 million there are a couple million small pebbles. Guys who post 4 or 5 webms a day.

You're missing the point of the analogy. 22 million users accessing relatively low-bandwidth content takes less bandwidth than 3.5 million users accessing relatively high-bandwidth content.

A pebble has much more mass than an average grain of sand.

If you average it out you'd probably get about 50-100 hits per webm. Realistically. The more popular forums like /b/ /pol/ would probably be striking 500-1000 hits per webm. So even if there are 1000 webms a day(more than that, once again giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying 1000) That'd be 50,000 views a day on webms for the entire site.

That's what my calculation is based on. I even went so far as to assume the maximum size of 4MB was used for all of them. If you want to assume that each is 2MB and they're viewed 100,000 times per day, the data transferred still stands at 200GB.

Also if you're arguing tiny grammar mistakes that is normally a keynote sign that your argument is falling apart.

It's not a grammatical mistake. 1mb is one millibit. 1MB is one megabyte. Confusing a bit for a byte means an error on the order of one magnitude. Confusing milli- for mega- is an error on the order of nine orders of magnitude.

Details like this have shown me that you don't really know much about data measurement, networks, or mathematics in general. I've been pretty forgiving about this and attempted to explain it to you with the sand analogy, but I can tell that you still don't really understand.

And the only sign of an argument failing is the argument failing. Even if I were correcting your grammar, it wouldn't be relevant to whether my argument was correct. I could throw every fallacy in the book at you and it wouldn't make be wrong.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy

(19,518 views / 11 days) * 147MB is 261GB/day for one animation from one artist.
And this math is calculated how? I've been meaning to ask that. Where is this equation coming from?

I already mentioned this in my earlier posts. Sexual-Lobster's Sweet Sweet Goo had 19,518 views at the time of writing, it was posted 11 days ago, and the file was 147MB when downloaded. It represents one popular submission using an amount of bandwidth comparable with 4chan, per day.

I'm not arguing with you that NG doesn't take a lot of $ to run but to say that it holds a candle against the operating costs of 4chan is kinda just silly.

It's not silly. I've thoroughly explained all of the calculations previously.

You keep making the same responses. I keep correcting you. It's becoming a cycle so this is the last post I'll make on the matter. I don't need to explain it anymore. If you don't trust me, find someone who's good with technology (Ask them to teach you how to count in binary on your fingers. If they can't, they don't really know anything about computers.) and ask them how a video hosting site can use more bandwidth than an image hosting site when the image hosting site has roughly 10x as many daily visitors.

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-13 10:58:49

Wow, I feel really bad for giving this a 9 out of 10 (back when it was up there, of course). Of course, it broke the rule of exploiting a tragedy, which I didn't even know existed, but it still made sense. It was the newest thing I had to look on at 911. I'm sorry it got removed, I mean it was wonderfully animated!

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-13 11:49:09

At 9/11/15 09:37 PM, Jonathan94 wrote: 9/11 Gay Dad Official Trailer. Did it brake any rules? I know allot of people mite fined it offensive but what rule did it brake?

Just confirming what was already said - it was taken down because it was stolen material.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-14 16:41:08

Damn, with a forum trick like that you're pretty much a shoe-in for mod, I can't compete with that >:/

Response to Why Was This Taken Down? 2015-09-20 09:20:01

At 9/13/15 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: Just confirming what was already said - it was taken down because it was stolen material.

Oh, I had no idea. It's weird how this thing still shows up on recent things my favorite authors have worked on (specifically Tomorrows Nobody). I wonder if it's on their YouTube channel. Well, probably not, because it's technically stolen.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock