00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ParallaxDraw just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How should the USA fight obesity?

4,114 Views | 66 Replies

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 13:22:01

At 9/6/15 05:37 PM, Painbringer wrote: By using European-sized food portions in restaurants, instead of the huge, American-sized portions.

A "large" in Europe is like a "medium" in North America.
Also, put less sugar into foods and drinks.

Do you have an example of the size differences between American and European. That would be very useful.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 21:34:35

At 9/9/15 10:35 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 9/7/15 04:42 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
What we need is less high fructose corn syrup in everything and less sweetened foods in general. And, no, we don't need artificial sweeteners.
that's debatable.

It's not healthy for you. Anything is debatable.

if you want natural foods with no added natural foods on them, make more stores that sell only that sort of product and provide farmers with the means to stock them.

Yes that's exactly what I want. I will assume you meant "with no additives". Your wording is confusing.

however.. i don't buy that abuse causes physical stress apart from trouble sleeping.

Uh, by it's very definition, physical abuse causes physical stress. This is definitional.

@Lich makes a good point about simply cutting out a few things and just walking around more.
bad idea if you're me.

Yes, because cutting out a few unhealthy foods and walking a bit is a bad idea? No. This is a very strange point to take issue with unless you're in self-denial. Maybe you need to cut out a few unhealthy foods and walk a bit more.

kids should have the freedom to make their own decisions on what to eat. they're not babies. they have capacity for higher thought and thus can make choices on a level higher than a dog.

If kids make unhealthy eating choices it is the parents' responsibility. They're not entitled to complete freedom of choice until they're older.

parents forcing kids to eat their vegetables when they clearly find such disgusting are not people to be praised. i thought you of all people would acknowledge that neon..

The kid doesn't get a choice. Also frequently kids find food disgusting only because they've been spoiled -- children who have been given a wide assortment of foods to try from a young age rarely have these "picky eater" syndromes.

you wanna be fat, be fat. you wanna be buff or thin, be buff or thin.

I agree. But when you're a kid you don't have full freedom. Your parents should be reasonable and certainly unreasonable parenting is a huge problem, but they shouldn't let you turn into jabba the hutt if they can help it. Once you become an adult if you want to go all jabba the hutt, that's your right.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 22:27:09

Make healthier foods more affordable for low income families.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 22:37:39

At 9/10/15 10:02 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 9/10/15 09:34 PM, NeonSpider wrote: If kids make unhealthy eating choices it is the parents' responsibility. They're not entitled to complete freedom of choice until they're older.
and why not? this is literally an all or nothing issue. there's no such thing as incomplete freedom of choice. you're either free or you're a slave. do or do not, there is no try.

Why not? Because they're not ready. Consider children slaves of their parents if you want. Parents should not abuse this and there should be limits to what parents can do, but a child doesn't get to make all of their own choices. Most children would make bad choices and turn into complete brats.

that's seemingly a self contradictory statement. "spoiled kids find food disgusting" followed by "wide assortment of food= no picky eater kids"..

No part of that is contradictory. Expose someone to lots of foods when they're young and they won't be a picky eater. Picky eaters are due to parents not diversifying food options enough when the kids are young.

they have no say in what a kid actually decides to go ahead and eat.

They have quite a lot of say, actually.

i was a supertaster as a child. i naturally vomited when anything i found unpleasant hit the back of my throat, particularly guacamole.

Guacamole is delicious. Likely you were not introduced to enough food variety at a young enough age and so when a new food, in this case guacamole, was introduced, you disliked it.

It's possible to dislike specific foods, but if you dislike a wide variety of foods or if you're very particular in only liking a very small minority of foods, then it's a problem. And that problem is caused by parents not feeding enough kinds of foods when you're young.

so i often found myself going on hunger strikes rather than bothering to learn how to suppress my gag reflex.

So, basically you threw temper tantrums? Don't compare your refusal of eating foods with Gandhi's hunger strikes. Yours was for purely selfish reasons.

quite a simple task when you have electronic devices to distract you from hunger, but not impossible without.

Just how young were you when you had electronic devices? If you were 4 or younger you really shouldn't have been given access to electronic devices at all and if you were older than 4 or 5 you shouldn't be throwing temper tantrums over picky eating. And your parents shouldn't have "given in" to your picky eating demands. You will eat eventually, when you're hungry enough.

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 23:19:27

If we did a Purge and made everyone start off in a forest, survival of the fittest would work itself out right there.

Oldskies lmao

BBS Signature

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 23:50:06

At 9/6/15 05:48 PM, TheGoldenBeast wrote: Ban fast food for fat people.

How would you enforce it? What if an obese person illegally purchased fast food what would be the penalty?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to How should the USA fight obesity? 2015-09-10 23:55:44

At 9/10/15 11:23 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: ahh but earlier you said "cannot afford good food". how can you be spoiled if you're too impoverished to afford anything?

You can be spoiled in one way but not in others. It is a bit ironic that in the case of not being able to afford good enough food, one might inadvertently raise children to be picky eaters. The not affording good food isn't spoiled but the picky eating is.

Still, if you're really hungry you'll eat about anything. And if you haven't then you're simply not hungry enough. People trapped in life-or-death scenarios resort to cannibalism. You're snowed in middle of nowhere with no food for weeks. Either you resort to cannibalism or the people you're with do.

i had enough as a child. variety that is. not portions.

Except you clearly haven't had enough variety. It isn't just guacamole you detest but actually a wide assortment of foods. You weren't introduced to enough food variety at a young enough age, simple as that.

i dislike most forms of vegetables to this day. i hear that's normal for a child but not normal for an adult.

True. You're too picky with foods.

no. i did not "throw temper tantrums", i simply went to my room and slept on an empty stomach or played games for the rest of the day.

i threatened my own survival to protect my own survival.

Okay but your parents still could have solved that by simply letting you do that until you were hungry enough. You simply never became hungry enough because they gave in. They shouldn't have given in.

Of course there never would have been that issue in the first place if they'd fed you more variety of foods when you were younger, but if you couldn't get enough variety due to difficulty in obtaining good foods, that's also an issue and an unfortunate one.

i would have died if i tried to eat that caca-mole.

You would not have died.

i've been playing on the computer since the earliest point in my life i can remember, but i didn't own a console of my own until i was 6 years old.

IMO they started you too young.

even if they hadn't given me access to the computer, i knew full well how to sneak in to the computer room and boot up our windows 95 and pop in my favorite game to play.

Then that's incompetency of your parents. It's dead simple to keep a child out of a room of your own home. Ever heard of locks and doors? I doubt you could lock-pick as a very little kid.

i never did eat the lethal toxic waste known as guacamole they tried to feed me, because deliberately ingesting what is effectively nature's ipecac, is in no way shape or form healthy unless you've ingested something even more toxic that won't allow itself to be regurgitated.

I eat guacamole and lots of stuff. It's quite good. It's not toxic unless you're allergic to it for some reason but you haven't mentioned as such so I will assume that's not it.

if it came down to it, i'd handcuff myself to my bed and let myself starve before i had to eat that stuff.

And when you got hungry enough you'd search frantically for some way to free yourself from your self-made prison to run and eat up all the guacamole.

sauerkraut is another non-food item comparable to guacamole in both horrid taste, stench, and ipecac-esque properties.

Perhaps I should try a sauerkraut and guacamole sandwich! What other ingredients should I add?