00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

6,984 Views | 118 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-24 18:38:56 (edited 2016-09-24 18:44:51)

Testing out new copics

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-25 00:20:33 (edited 2016-09-25 00:35:13)

10 min Sketch (drawn from ref).

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-27 19:05:43

Practice sketch

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-27 19:26:19

I never did like Soul, ironically I'm frequently told that we're similar. I don't get it. Anyhow his design is cool.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-28 00:30:40

"Believe in the me that believes in you!"

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-28 00:34:46

"Just who the hell do you think I am!?"

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-28 21:27:24 (edited 2016-09-28 21:27:35)

Everyone's favorite wifu!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-29 12:52:06

I'm not addicted to drawing anime heads alright! I can stop whenever I'd like!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-29 19:15:07

At 8/30/15 10:01 PM, Rustyhound wrote: I know that this one has a lot of mistakes, though the one that I struggle to understand is the panties. It seems more like a plastic bag.

There's an excellent book by Burne Hogarth called Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery that will help immensely with clothing. It's not bad, I think some shading would add volume and decrease the "plastic bag" look :)

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-30 13:16:50

At 9/29/16 07:15 PM, TylerBlake wrote:
At 8/30/15 10:01 PM, Rustyhound wrote: I know that this one has a lot of mistakes, though the one that I struggle to understand is the panties. It seems more like a plastic bag.
There's an excellent book by Burne Hogarth called Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery that will help immensely with clothing. It's not bad, I think some shading would add volume and decrease the "plastic bag" look :)

Thank you! I've got that book and four of his other ones but haven't read them yet, actually I have a plethora of art books that I got from someone so I have to be very critical on deciding what books I want to spend time on reading (my goal is to finish one book per week). Therefore I always love getting recommended books to read, it helps me trim the fat and prioritize the most effective books. Right now I'm focusing on figure drawing and heads, then hands, but after that I'll definitely get into Folds and Drapery. Again thank you so much man, I truly appreciate it!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-30 13:18:48

30 sec gesture. Wish I made them smaller so I could show more of 'em on each page, but oh well...

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-09-30 15:31:00

At 9/30/16 01:16 PM, Rustyhound wrote:
At 9/29/16 07:15 PM, TylerBlake wrote:
Thank you! I've got that book and four of his other ones but haven't read them yet, actually I have a plethora of art books that I got from someone so I have to be very critical on deciding what books I want to spend time on reading (my goal is to finish one book per week). Therefore I always love getting recommended books to read, it helps me trim the fat and prioritize the most effective books. Right now I'm focusing on figure drawing and heads, then hands, but after that I'll definitely get into Folds and Drapery. Again thank you so much man, I truly appreciate it!

You bet :) Another great resource, especially since you're focusing on figures and heads, is Stan Prokopenko's Youtube channel: Proko He has excellent tutorials on anatomy for artists, and his videos are entertaining too :)

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-01 10:13:25

At 9/30/16 03:31 PM, TylerBlake wrote:
At 9/30/16 01:16 PM, Rustyhound wrote:
You bet :) Another great resource, especially since you're focusing on figures and heads, is Stan Prokopenko's Youtube channel: Proko He has excellent tutorials on anatomy for artists, and his videos are entertaining too :)

Yeah, I've seen a couple of his videos (especially regarding the head and figure drawing). Again, much thanks for your advice!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-02 14:50:12

Eren Jaeger. I think that's his name anyway...

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-04 10:47:32

Oneee Paaaawwwwwwnch!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-05 21:31:18

I'll start posting more studies again. Right after this...

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:08:25 (edited 2016-10-12 20:21:52)

Before I go ahead and post my studies I want to put this here as a mark for progress. I did it using no reference. Now three or even two years ago I wouldn't have been able to do this I couldn't create characters for the life of me, even so, I'm not satisfied with it. I have so many stories and poses in mind, but what comes out on paper is still murky and lacking. I've started burning through books, studying them and executing the exercises. I'll redraw this character once I've finished them all and see how I have improved. I'm going back to basics taking it all from the very beginning again. My official list of books are:
- Keys to drawing (Bert Dodson)
- Figure drawing: design and invention” by Michael Hampton
- Vilppu drawing manual
- Bridgemans complete guide to drawing from life

In that order. Even though I can be impatient or get restless I'm sticking to reading one at a time, focusing very meticulously on one thing at a time. Bruce Lee said: "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." That's how I'll approach my drawing. I wanna get to a point where I can use drawing as an extension of mind and emotion, communicate ideas clearly and accurately.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:26:37

There's gonna be a lot of drawing from life for a while now, though I'll still draw anime when drawing purely for fun. This is a warm up, now let's get started!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:30:33

This is one of the first things the book (Keys to drawing) talks about, "Blind drawing" this is a tricky exercise, I'm not concerned about the result of these specific exercises looking "good", I'm focusing on the experience and accurately following and understanding the exercise.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:37:07

Excercise 1 - A

It starts off simple, I'm doing everything exclusively with pen whenever it's permitted to do so. Not only because it's inktober, but also for the challenge sake. It's forcing me to go about drawing differently. With pencil I'm very messy in the way I draw. With pen I feel encouraged to approach drawing with fewer lines and more reserved. My messy pencil tendency is very apparent in this first drawing, however it quickly changes in the following exercises.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:39:48

1 - B

Second exercise, drawing from obscure angles. I like how this turned out. It's less messy than my previous one too.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:42:43

Excercise 1 - C

Drawing what you see vs. what you know.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:45:32

This is just some extra (literally) Blind Drawing. Doesn't look nice, but it's meant to improve eye to hand coordination and spacial awareness.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:48:22

Exercise 1 - D

The focus of this was really just to draw the eyes. I may revisit this one because I can do better. I was doing this one while in a meeting with people so I couldn't concentrate properly. You're supposed to use yourself as ref.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:53:28

Exercise 1 - E

Moving towards simplifying. What's interesting to note here, is that with the small thumbnail in the upper right corner I did a quick little example of how I would have done it going at it with pencil, finding the midpoint, using ellipses breaking the bottle into basic shapes (cylinder, cone). The main example I just went straight at it impulsively and improvised as I went a long.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 20:58:51

Exercise 1 - F

Focus drawing. This one was kinda cool. I'm not into this style (it reminds me of contemporary art). However, it allows me to avoid observation fatigue (great technique when running on fumes). It's basically about choosing one or two aspects of the subject to focus your attention on. The rest of the details you leave simplified or even blank. Though it's not something I enjoy looking at as stated earlier, I appreciate that it allows me to gain mileage and focus on crucial aspects. It's quick and effective.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 21:07:41

First episode of the second chapter.

I really loved this exercise. This exercise asks you to pick one of 6 artists to copy. I picked Eugene Delacroix. It just seemed like the one that connected the most with me. I found the energy and flow really appealing. He also seems to use a lot of what the book refers to as free handwriting. This exercise has helped me immensely, it's like I've instantly become more loose and free flowing, me speed naturally increased as well, of course at the sacrifice of accuracy but with a pencil that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2016-10-12 21:45:29 (edited 2016-10-12 21:49:46)

This isn't really an exercise from my book, it's a request from a friend at work today. I was showing him my art books on my PC and he was wondering if we could draw this head from Andrew Loomis's book. I consider this more of a "play time" drawing, rather than deliberate practice.

PS. In my previous post I didn't mean "first episode of the second chapter" I meant *first exercise of the second chapter.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2017-04-16 12:49:03 (edited 2017-04-16 12:51:12)

Still practicing everyday. Forgot I haven't posted on here in a while though, so here ya go!

Rustyhound's Sketchbook

Response to Rustyhound's Sketchbook 2017-04-17 17:32:33

Bruce Lee. One of the most inspirational people to have lived.

Rustyhound's Sketchbook