00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you think about this??

1,164 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

*Disclaimer: This is not a self promotion thread, i just want to get some honest opinions about if this technique would work if applied correct to a track*

Today i was messing with an mp3 file in FL Studio, and i accidentally stretched the track as far as i could. It ended sounding like utter crap, but i kinda liked the effect, so after equalizing, duplicating some tracks and mixing it i ended with this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93823550/Aquatic%20800.mp3

What do you think?? Do you think you this culd be applied to tracks to create pads or stuff like that?

At 8/30/15 01:46 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: What do you think?? Do you think you this culd be applied to tracks to create pads or stuff like that?

Of course ! I sometimes used time-stretching to create sound effects, pads, and other stuff like that. You might be interested in checking Paulstretcher as well, it is a little standalone tool which can give some pretty good results when you spend some time experimenting with it.

EDIT : Just noticed your experiment was still playing 7 minutes after. I somehow completely forgot it (in a good way). :p

Sentient-ish thingy that likes making music. | My audio submissions | My Youtube channel

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 02:52:42

I've done it a few times before. Don't always judge by what you think is "right", if it sounds good, it is good.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 02:57:48

At 8/30/15 02:51 AM, Ylmir wrote:
At 8/30/15 01:46 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: What do you think?? Do you think you this culd be applied to tracks to create pads or stuff like that?
Of course ! I sometimes used time-stretching to create sound effects, pads, and other stuff like that. You might be interested in checking Paulstretcher as well, it is a little standalone tool which can give some pretty good results when you spend some time experimenting with it.

EDIT : Just noticed your experiment was still playing 5 minutes after. I somehow completely forgot it (in a good way). :p

That sounds useful, from what i read it can do a better job at smoothing sounds than me with a couple of reeverbs and EQs hahaha

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 03:51:04

Gotta say though, please use a high quality .wav file for the actual project. For your own benefit. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 04:07:39

I have experimented with time stretch, sometimes together with pitch bend, you can get very interesting results, I like to do that kind of stuff with percussive sounds, useful for backgrounds and atmospheres.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 04:24:32

At 8/30/15 03:51 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Gotta say though, please use a high quality .wav file for the actual project. For your own benefit. :)

Oh absolutely, i don't really wanna know what will result of stretching a 128 kbps mp3 file lol

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 05:14:35

At 8/30/15 04:24 AM, NyxTheShield wrote: Oh absolutely, i don't really wanna know what will result of stretching a 128 kbps mp3 file lol

Hehe I bet. :P Will sound like poop on a fan.
Splat, whirrrrr, buzz and suddenly you're covered.

Not speaking from experience...

BBS Signature

If you're stretching, but not repitching, try to use 88.2kHz raw .wav's. You can then, in most daws, "interpret" or something the files in a new sample rate (44.1kHz, for example) that still has full fidelity/sonic range.

If stretching and repitching equally, HAVE FUN. It's my absolute favorite thing to do. :D

A fun activity is to start with just a plain sine wave clip and to stretch, phase, exaggeratedly auto-tune, and play around with all sorts of settings (particularly at "low quality" settings for most fun!) to get these cool glitchy distortions.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think about this?? 2015-08-30 19:48:39

Sounds like it'd do well with some nice automation, maybe some soft piano, stretching crowd noise gives you rain, stretch a snare out for thunder, Boom, sad anime soundtrack right there haha.