00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Most unlikable protagonists?

4,384 Views | 51 Replies

Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:10:39

Usually its the bad guys you're supposed to hate and hate to love. But what happens when the protagonist is a jerk off and was supposed to be likable but instead it's the opposite?

I'm not necessarily talking about super heroes by the way just in general fiction.

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Lelouche from Chode Geass
also Light from Death Note.
and catdog.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:26:06

Naruto.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:26:49

In the Harry Potter movies, Harry pretty much becomes an unlikable c*nt after the fourth movie or so. He just struts around like he's got a massive dick and you wonder what happened to the timid but likable Harry who wasn't so full of himself.

The same with The Hunger Games. The first two books are passable, but the third is just a mess of "Oh no do I pick Peta or do I pick Gale? Woe is me I can't even focus on the massive war going on around me. I'd better do something drastic out of angst and then have absolutely no consequences for it for some reason."

Those are the only two I can think of right now. Excluding any works which are awful as a whole, of course.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:36:15

how about the current representation of spongebob

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:42:21

Ted Mosby. Spends who knows how long begging for permission to nail another woman under the veil of yelling his kids about their long dead mother. I've ranted about this before so I'll stick to the single point here.
In the finale Ted says their mother died 6 years ago. If the kids are teenagers when he's telling the story then 6 years earlier they were little kids. So he takes kids who lost their mother at a vulnerable age, proposes to tell them a story about he met her, and then spends the entire time talking about another woman. That is shit parenting.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:42:55

Twatlight's Bella, Edward and Jacob.

The funny thing is with a few tweaks, Twilight could be an awesome horror book about a young woman's complete sociopathy and alienation from human emotion. Edward could be a modern day manipulator on par with Rasputin. Jacob a creepy man-child that feels he's entitled to a woman he wants.

Instead we got Twilight, which led to fan-fiction about Twilight that led 50 Shades of Grey. SCREW the publishing world!

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:47:08

I've always felt that the good guys in cartoon series who treat the bad guys like shit, or who are pretentious, condescending, arrogant, presumptuous or prideful... are totally unlikable.

Most of the good guys in Looney Tunes are like that. Bug Bunny and Tweety are the best example. They humiliate and mock the bad guys before hurting them, and that always got me cheering for the bad guys. Creating such an "underdog" effect by having your good guy bully around a "bad guy" isn't exactly what I believe to be good character writing...

Lucky Luke also gives me that vibes, but not with all villains. It's only when he would be facing the Dalton brothers that he'd bother me a lot with his condescending behavior... like he's too sure of himself and just knows that he's going to win. That was always a no no for me.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 18:55:40

At 8/26/15 06:45 PM, Vinnyy wrote: Kazuya (Freezing)

His reaction to Satellizer adopted brother and what he did to her made me despise him, and I was already hating him for being a useless fuck.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 19:01:17

At 8/26/15 06:24 PM, PussyShark wrote: Lelouche from Chode Geass
also Light from Death Note.
and catdog.

Actually, I think the point is Light was supposed to be unlikable. The fact that L became a popular character was a surprise though, not sure why people liked him.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 21:38:24

At 8/26/15 08:28 PM, saqwert wrote: Little Bill

Caillou was also terrible. It was like the creators of the show tried to make the biggest crybaby of all-time.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-26 21:48:47

At 8/26/15 08:28 PM, saqwert wrote: Little Bill

If Big Bill met Little Bill... would he give Little Bill a glass of iced tea?

Questions like this keep me up at night.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 02:58:12

Protagonists with their moral compass pointed directly toward Chaotic Evil drive me up the wall. Like, I use to read "Looking For Group", but I just couldn't continue after a while. This was due to two reasons: 1) the walls of text were starting to get unbearable (this was at the Wheel of Time reference, and 2) Richard's "kill everyone around and get away with it" gag. Yes, I'll admit it was chuckle-worthy the first couple times, but it got old really fast.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 07:48:48

Pretty much any main character in most sitcoms.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 07:53:38

Fucking Raiden from MGS2

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 08:44:40

I dislike bleeding heart characters who are Lawful Good and have a strict "no-killing" policy.

I don't expect every hero to be the Punisher, but it really irritates me whenever I see a hero who is just about to finish the villain off, then he'll go "I won't do it. I'm not like you". Because really that's just an excuse for the writers to keep the villain around.

There's nothing noble about letting a mass murderer live, and I wish writers could remember that when trying to make a detestable villain and a lovable hero.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 11:02:24

At 8/27/15 08:44 AM, Chdonga wrote: There's nothing noble about letting a mass murderer live, and I wish writers could remember that when trying to make a detestable villain and a lovable hero.

Thank you! I think this every time I see Batman let the Joker live. Batman needs to realize that killing the Joker is not "sinking to his level", it's "killing one man to save literally all of Gotham from his evil". But you're right: excluding the few series where Joker is dead from the start, Batman won't kill him because it allows the Joker to stay around.

On another point, I hate sitcom characters who's main thing is that they see a hot woman and want to do her, and that's their main character trait. I especially hate it if they have no problem putting their friends down, and even being an outright jerk to them, just to make themselves feel better. And what's even worse is if the woman actually sleeps with him.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 12:13:56

At 8/27/15 07:53 AM, Makakaov wrote: Fucking Raiden from MGS2

you hate yourself?

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 12:19:12

At 8/27/15 12:13 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
you hate yourself?

Why would you compare me to that poor fuck?

Do you have a death wish?

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 13:10:56

jordan belfort but that was the intention anyway

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 13:16:00

Any little shit who has a destiny or has been chosen to destroy an evil empire that the antagonist spent years building.

I just think, fuck you, he worked hard to create that evil empire. Then you come along from living a normal, boring life and get handed some special power or shit and tear down all that empire with pure luck.

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 14:00:50

At 8/27/15 12:19 PM, Makakaov wrote:
you hate yourself?

raiden is supposed to represent the player if they were actually in this scenario

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 14:12:55

I have no idea who the protagonist is for the TV show Hannibal, but pretty much all of the characters suck.

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 14:33:47

At 8/27/15 02:00 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 8/27/15 12:19 PM, Makakaov wrote:
you hate yourself?

raiden is supposed to represent the player if they were actually in this scenario

Who said so? Kojima? Somewhere?

And do Sonic and Mario represent the player in their worlds? They actually don't. They have completely different bodies and abilities. Raiden does too. Not every player character is a representative of the player in the game. MGS is not an RPG, it's a linear game with minimal sandbox elements, where you control a predefined character with predefined story, attributes and character. You do this just to uncover the predefined cutscenes that uncover the story more and more. MGS was always a very cinematic game, with great scenarios and good gameplay, but these games were mostly focused on showing the player the universe that was started with first Metal Gear on NES. Showing story behing Big Boss and his offspring. You're not Raiden. You just follow his adventures.

So, make no mistake - not every game is skyrim.

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 15:21:17

*sigh*

One word:

Sonichu.

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 15:39:54

At 8/27/15 02:33 PM, Makakaov wrote: MGS is not an RPG...

Colonel Campbell would beg to differ.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 15:45:11

At 8/27/15 03:39 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 8/27/15 02:33 PM, Makakaov wrote: MGS is not an RPG...
Colonel Campbell would beg to differ.

Seeing that we insist on the national importance of the function which our economic system fulfils, it naturally follows that the former disunion between employer and employee can no longer exist. But the new State will not and does not wish to assume the role of entrepreneur.

-Adolf Hitler January 30, 1937.

Apparently Hitler was a nerdy d&d playa

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 15:53:22

At 8/27/15 01:10 PM, Natick wrote: jordan belfort but that was the intention anyway

It was based from a true story about Jordan Belfort (who even made a cameo appearance in the movie) so it's kind of a point when you knew what he was arrested for.

It seems to be a pattern regarding Scorsese films where it stars an unpleasant individual and his exploits.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 17:17:52

These kids from Eliot Kid but especially that red-headed bitch Mimi.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Most unlikable protagonists? 2015-08-27 17:23:50

I have to agree, Ted mosby is the most cry baby character in exsistence, just like leonard in the later season of big bang theory.