00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Recommendations & Yearly Highlights

17,200 Views | 41 Replies
Respond to this Topic

In addition to miscellaneous bug fixed, @liljim just pushed a bunch of updates live:

1. Recommendations PM - P-Bot will occasionally PM you with a big list of recommendations (this started a week ago). Just viewing an item will remove it from the list but you should also vote on as much as possible! You log a single vote per submission now so that vote is permanent and you never have to think about voting on that entry again.

2. Recommendations in Hubs - Now when you're in the Games, Movies, Audio or Art hubs, recommendations will appear above the other items on the page. How are you liking that from what you see so far?

3. Art on Userpage - More in line with audio, games and movies; listed by year, with a yearly highlight. Would like all user page content categories to also have a sorting option but for now they are all consistent. It's also pretty cool to see ALL of someone's art on a single page now.

4. "Best of Year" on Userpages - Per our Pico Day suggestion box, you can now EDIT the "Best of Year" item for each year on your user page. So for example if you have tons of movies and you disagree with your "Best of 2014" highlight, you can click the pencil icon and choose another item to showcase.

That should be about it, THANK YOU @liljim!

If you're at PAX in Seattle this weekend, be sure to stop by the Behemoth booth and say hi to me, @Stamper, @DanPaladin and all the other fine Behemoth folk in attendance. @RicePirate will also be at PAX, you might see him at the Polaris booth. @BoMToons will be there showing Super Chibi Knight. You may also find us at a bar or wandering around. SAY HI!

Next month I'll be in Ottawa for an NG screening at the Ottawa International Film Festival. Also expect an announcement soon concerning October and Florida.

There is still time to enter the Airscape Art Contest!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 14:25:10

Really liking the updates, simple but very effective. I'm especially loving the way art is organized now on the userpage. Just one quick question about this bit:

Per our Pico Day recommendation box...

What does this mean exactly? Was there something that happened around Pico Day that I'm just having a brain fart about right now?

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 14:33:57

Awesome! Cool to hear that new updates are constantly happening.

I have a question. I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but for more than a month now, playlists have stopped to automatically move on to the next submission after the previous one ends, at least for me. Is this an intentional change, a bug, or something that's not working with my system?
I've tried this on several browsers, and it's the same deal :/

Thanks, either way! :D

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 15:28:36

Cool updates. It's nice to see the Art section of a userpage is consistent with the rest.

And I can honestly say that if you don't own Super Chibi Knight on Steam, you are a communist.

Speaking of games, when are we going to get some details on the game you're working on, Tom? You keep teasing us with that sig without ever giving out any juicy details. I have blue balls over here.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 16:31:14

At 8/26/15 02:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: 4. "Best of Year" on Userpages - Per our Pico Day recommendation box, you can now EDIT the "Best of Year" item for each year on your user page.

Very excited to see this!!!!!!

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 17:09:14

Speaking of best of the year, what you know about them tank awards?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 17:24:29

At 8/26/15 02:25 PM, LDAF wrote:
What does this mean exactly? Was there something that happened around Pico Day that I'm just having a brain fart about right now?

There was a suggestion box at the office on Pico Day. People were encouraged to scribble down ideas and post them. This was one of the smaller ideas for improvement I wanted to make before moving onto bigger projects.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 17:55:08

At 8/26/15 05:24 PM, liljim wrote: There was a suggestion box at the office on Pico Day. People were encouraged to scribble down ideas and post them. This was one of the smaller ideas for improvement I wanted to make before moving onto bigger projects.

Ahh, ok! Makes sense.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 18:08:06

At 8/26/15 02:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
3. Art on Userpage - More in line with audio, games and movies; listed by year, with a yearly highlight. Would like all user page content categories to also have a sorting option but for now they are all consistent. It's also pretty cool to see ALL of someone's art on a single page now.

This will come in handy for my art hoarding, nice one.

4. "Best of Year" on Userpages - Per our Pico Day recommendation box, you can now EDIT the "Best of Year" item for each year on your user page. So for example if you have tons of movies and you disagree with your "Best of 2014" highlight, you can click the pencil icon and choose another item to showcase.

Or for audio to spell out that while track x has a bajillion more downloads and votes on it then track y which the best of the year doodad took as the default measure of worth and this was typically only because the audio portal was deserted that particular day/week and/or the gods of the portal floodgates decided to be benevolent and not upload 6 7 8 9 wait what 15 tracks in one go robbing everyone else of views, now you can decide for yourself what deserves the spotlight when people give your profile a gander.

Sweet, i'll take it.

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 18:53:35

Hi Tom

Is there a way to turn off the recommendations?

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 21:21:33

This is pretty sweet!

up down flop around

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 21:38:50

At 8/26/15 02:33 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Awesome! Cool to hear that new updates are constantly happening.

I have a question. I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but for more than a month now, playlists have stopped to automatically move on to the next submission after the previous one ends, at least for me. Is this an intentional change, a bug, or something that's not working with my system?

Thanks, either way! :D

Happens to me too. I only tried a playlist for the first time yesterday and wasn't sure if that was how it was supposed to be (although it seemed odd it should).

Nearly all my stuff! http://www.MadeByChaz.com

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 23:15:08

Just a few things on the recommendations update...

- The art on userpages (<username>.newgrounds.com/art/) has the audio icon next to the ‘<year> Submissions’ header. It should be art related instead.

- Recommendations as part of the userpage (<username>.newgrounds.com/recommendations) have no content details whatsoever. You are pretty much going in completely blind, with only the name of the entries to go on. No age rating, no content type, no content description, no author, nothing. You can get to A rated content from here too (I stumbled upon one of those the very first click!), so there should really be an age rating.

- While I'm on the subject, playlists are a bit lacking too, but not as much. No age ratings for content (and again, important because A rated content is possible), nor content descriptions either.

Otherwise, I like the recommendations concept! Should result in some otherwise hidden gems being discovered.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 23:16:39

Do you think that the recommendations page could be made a bit more informative, maybe thumbnails and maturity ratings. I would like to know what I was getting myself into before opening something.

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-26 23:34:17

October and Florida? Sweet, we going to finally nuke that horrible place? XD

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 05:06:42

I noticed that the art submissions in comparison to the audio and Flash ones actually displays your username in the address. It even stays that way even if you had it changed recently. Hopefully you can change the addresses to be more in line with the other submission types.

Hey, I remember that "Best of the Year" suggestion! Pretty cool how those words echoed back the website! You´re the best @liljim!

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 08:05:11

At 8/27/15 05:06 AM, LauriJ wrote: I noticed that the art submissions in comparison to the audio and Flash ones actually displays your username in the address. It even stays that way even if you had it changed recently. Hopefully you can change the addresses to be more in line with the other submission types.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 09:33:08

At 8/26/15 02:25 PM, LDAF wrote:

At the Pico Day office party we had a suggestion box and one of the suggestions was to allow artists to control what their yearly highlight was. Talking to people about it, there were lots of good examples where your yearly highlight might be a collab you weren't as heavily involved with, or something you weren't as proud of - and people do tend to check out the yearly highlight when getting to know an artist.

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 09:34:24

At 8/26/15 02:33 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: I have a question. I don't know if this is the case for anyone else, but for more than a month now, playlists have stopped to automatically move on to the next submission after the previous one ends, at least for me. Is this an intentional change, a bug, or something that's not working with my system?

This is in the bug system so hopefully a fix is coming soon! Will check up on that.

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 09:36:06

At 8/26/15 03:28 PM, Bit wrote: Speaking of games, when are we going to get some details on the game you're working on, Tom? You keep teasing us with that sig without ever giving out any juicy details. I have blue balls over here.

Really been on the fence with how much to share stuff from the upcoming game - the modern trend with indie game development is to share everything constantly and that does help build awareness over time, however I also really like the idea of surprising people with lots of cool stuff they never saw before... Just hoping word of mouth spreads well when the time comes!

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 09:38:13

At 8/26/15 08:26 PM, Legodude2000 wrote: @tomfulp Wait, is the Airscape contest still on? If so, you might want to add that somewhere in the news post so people don't forget about it.

Good point... It's on the calendar on the front page but people can always use more nudging. I'll update the post.

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 09:41:30

At 8/27/15 09:06 AM, The-Eternal-Abyss wrote: so what's the plan when the active users of newgrounds run out of submissions to vote on ? , since a submission can only be voted on once now,and there are more active users than new submissions ....won't take too long before the UJ portal has enough traffic to compete with MECCA .

Each submission can be voted on once by each user, so there is no limit to how many unique users can vote on a submission. I don't think anyone will ever run out of submissions to vote on but that would be interesting to see! The new recommendation lists help make sure people will keep getting fed stuff to vote on, too.

BBS Signature

At 8/27/15 08:05 AM, liljim wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean.

Well, you know how Games, Movies and Audio would have /portal/view/number on it, right? In the case of art, it has /view/username/title with the username not changing with your current one.

A minor nitpick for sure...

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 11:00:08

Really been on the fence with how much to share stuff from the upcoming game

I do hope your new project will be amazing!

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 11:02:35

At 8/27/15 10:58 AM, LauriJ wrote: Well, you know how Games, Movies and Audio would have /portal/view/number on it, right? In the case of art, it has /view/username/title.

Oh, I see... I thought you might be referring to one of the things that had changed.

There aren't any plans to revise the URL structure at this time.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 12:37:43

These updates are all great, I think! I've had this rare problem though with voting. I'm not sure if the fault is NG, or just my own computer, but sometimes the page lags, and when I click on something, it clicks the completely wrong link elsewhere on the page. I ended up voting a "1" on a submission once because of this, and a "0" on another... and neither submission deserved such low votes. Like I said, this happens very rarely, but I wish I could undo my votes when it does happen, instead of being stuck with a permanent vote.
(Also I use Safari if that helps)

My signature is so extravagant. Simple text. Fab, amiright?

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 12:54:18

hey speaking of suggestions, has an option to remove ads from your own videos ever come up as something supporters might get?

for me at least, the main reason i generally promote my vimeo page over my newgrounds page is because i don’t want people to have to sit through a preroll ad, especially when a lot of my vids aren’t all that much longer than one. i think the newgrounds player has a nicer feel than the vimeo player, not to mention the quality, but ads can make it feel kind of intrusive when i just want someone to watch my lil cartoon.

not sure if that’s something a lot of people would be interested in, or if my 25 buck supporter fee would actually cancel out the ad rev made by my work, but, as someone who's not trying to make short films into a full-time gig, i’m curious.

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 14:25:28

At 8/27/15 12:54 PM, dylan wrote: hey speaking of suggestions, has an option to remove ads from your own videos ever come up as something supporters might get?

I'd like to offer this open, maybe just for supporters but also maybe for everyone. Would also be handy as a moderator override for videos that just shouldn't run ads (too controversial for advertisers, etc).

BBS Signature

Response to Recommendations & Yearly Highlights 2015-08-27 18:40:58

great stuff, i totally dig the option to view all my art on one page