00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M '15: Round of 16

14,777 Views | 218 Replies

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 03:15:27

At 8/27/15 08:50 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/27/15 08:41 PM, PeterSatera wrote: I change my mind. People being nice to each other is f**king creepy on Newgrounds.
You were saying?

*haunts you*

ARGH! 0_o

hides under bed sheet

Phew, safe....AARH!

At 8/29/15 12:44 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote: How are everyone's tracks coming along?

Great thanks! Oh, wait...

Continues to wait for tracks

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 15:41:10

At 8/29/15 12:44 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote: How are everyone's tracks coming along?

Basic skeleton track so far is about half way there. Then I gotta beef it up with some live playing if possible.

Still need to tidy up the scores (actually, a lot of clean up to do there haha). But, so far so good I guess! How about you guys?

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 16:32:30

At 8/29/15 03:41 PM, frootza wrote:
Basic skeleton track so far is about half way there. Then I gotta beef it up with some live playing if possible.

Still need to tidy up the scores (actually, a lot of clean up to do there haha). But, so far so good I guess! How about you guys?

My track is coming along quite nicely, so I shouldn't have any trouble putting a pin in things before the September 8th deadline. Got a few sections more or less finished, but I'm sure there will be more adjustments to make before all's said and done, and there is still plenty more to add to the mix.

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 16:56:25

At 8/28/15 01:52 AM, frootza wrote: My personal quandary is like... I feel like I'm not being critiqued accurately. I get that my round was a walkover so to speak. But I have a feeling that in itself, makes ME look bad, especially because my score isn't being shown anywhere. So, I could have (theoretically) gotten a .002 as a score but still went through. It is, honestly a bit discouraging. I'm sure others have felt the same who went through as a freebie...

This.
(Well sorta...)

An important aspect of competitions that are run with scoring and multiple rounds like this is being able to see how you stand up compared to others, from a judging perspective. This would be even more integral if it were in later rounds where you have seen how the scores have played out from the various judges a few times around. You're not only up against your opponent for the round, but also the judges own scoring personalities, and hopefully even those potential future opponents as well. After checking out @LunacyEcho 's post (which was fantastic btw, props for going an extra step for the rest of us to enjoy!), the stats put it in perspective that knowing how you rank amongst others could really make a difference.

frootza really deserved his own numerical score, regardless of if he was the only one to submit or not. It's after the fact now, but it's something that should be addressed for the future.

At 8/29/15 04:56 PM, Tyven wrote: frootza really deserved his own numerical score, regardless of if he was the only one to submit or not. It's after the fact now, but it's something that should be addressed for the future.

Yeah, this bothered me, as well. He was already singled out because no one else showed up, but to do so even further by not posting his scores and overall average left things feeling awkwardly incomplete. I'm sure there must be a good reason for it, and I am admittedly curious as to what that might be. I do see that he's gotten his first judge review, so obviously the scoring was given. Some elucidation on this mystery would be appreciated.

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 17:56:59

At 8/29/15 04:56 PM, Tyven wrote: frootza really deserved his own numerical score, regardless of if he was the only one to submit or not. It's after the fact now, but it's something that should be addressed for the future.

He's been sent his scores privately. There was a bit of a miscommunication amongst the judges which led to not all the scores for frootza being sent in on time, so we ended up not posting them. Then, frootza contacted me and asked me to send him the scores, which I just did now.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 18:51:44

At 8/29/15 03:41 PM, frootza wrote:

We pulled a 9 hour all-nighter Thursday into Friday and got most of the guitar tracked, just need to add a few transitions and we're almost done! Definitely going to work on the next track ahead of time, I start my last semester of nursing school on Monday O_o

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 21:44:44

Well. I have quantized a very loosely piano track played by me, manually. It took 5 freaking hours! o.O
I guess that's what you get when you move 2000+ notes using only a mousepad, because you're lazy to figure out something else... -_-

On the plus side, the quantization worked out well, and I've managed to orchestrate about 40 seconds of the piece today, with great results. Unless we somehow screw up, this is like to become an awesome piece. Only now did I allow dem0lecule to start working on the piece, based on my draft XD

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 22:20:21

At 8/29/15 04:32 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: September 8th

I must've missed this? I thought it was the 13th.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 22:42:56

At 8/29/15 09:44 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Well. I have quantized a very loosely piano track played by me, manually. It took 5 freaking hours! o.O
I guess that's what you get when you move 2000+ notes using only a mousepad, because you're lazy to figure out something else... -_-

you use FL right? set the snap to whatever you want it to be quantized to, open the piano roll and press alt+q
almost every other DAW will let you do this some other way, too. :v

sometimes i worry when people are like "omg i spent 40 hours on this" and i usually stop at 7 hours tops, but then i realise people are usually just doin' stuff the slow way :v

p.s. i am gay

At 8/29/15 10:42 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/29/15 09:44 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Well. I have quantized a very loosely piano track played by me, manually. It took 5 freaking hours! o.O
you use FL right? set the snap to whatever you want it to be quantized to, open the piano roll and press alt+q
almost every other DAW will let you do this some other way, too. :v

sometimes i worry when people are like "omg i spent 40 hours on this" and i usually stop at 7 hours tops, but then i realise people are usually just doin' stuff the slow way :v

Thanks for the tip! I use Cubase.
But the problem isn't that the notes were just kinda unsnapped and such. The midi file was recorded in a free tempo, without defining a rhythm, and it's a pretty complicated track. For a few parts, the tempo changes as well, but luckily not for long.
I tried some different settnings, but none of them turned out to be much of help, as I wanted to change the entire position of many of the notes by multiple measures (by the end, due to accumulation of smaller differences). Also, the main rhyth is the same as in the main battle themes from Final Fantasy VII and XIII (as examples). I solved this by using 4/4, with 2 measures making up the basic bass (left hand) rhythmic progression (6 hits). I could've done half time I guess, but that would've been even more annoying to edit, and I did it the way I see sheet music written with this kind of a battle theme-ish rhythm. In the end, I think manually worked well enough, as the end result is perfect.

But I'd love to hear if there is a better way to do this kind of a radical change?
Other than the fact that I should've went after my computer mouse, of course :p

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 23:05:47

At 8/29/15 05:56 PM, Step wrote:
He's been sent his scores privately. There was a bit of a miscommunication amongst the judges which led to not all the scores for frootza being sent in on time, so we ended up not posting them. Then, frootza contacted me and asked me to send him the scores, which I just did now.

:)

Good to know everything's all good. I know with that many entries to judge, some hiccups are bound to happen.

Good luck to everyone in this round!

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-29 23:42:40

At 8/29/15 10:20 PM, thebitterroost wrote:
At 8/29/15 04:32 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: September 8th
I must've missed this? I thought it was the 13th.

It's the judging that ends on the 13th, but our two weeks for composition end on the 8th.

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-30 01:05:17

At 8/29/15 11:42 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: It's the judging that ends on the 13th, but our two weeks for composition end on the 8th.

Well damn. I'll have exactly two days to get this thing done after I get back in town. Pre-congrats, @bassfiddlejones!

Though you never know... O.o

Derp.

BBS Signature

At 8/29/15 10:42 PM, midimachine wrote: sometimes i worry when people are like "omg i spent 40 hours on this" and i usually stop at 7 hours tops, but then i realise people are usually just doin' stuff the slow way :v

I normally take a longass time to do shit because I spend altogether too much time geeking out over detail and transitions and stuff. Plus I take awhile to figure out my instruments because I rarely ever use the same instrument library presets. Sadly people seem to rarely notice the subtle stuff :( but I like doing it anyway because fuck, I like that about music. My policy is and has always been - if it's not something I'm willing to listen to over and over, it's not something I'm willing to make.

I want to love my music. :v

That said, I could probably make things more efficient and have better generalized presets in Omnisphere that I can apply different soundsources to. I could also use some generic presets for things like 8-bit simple synths and could DEFINITELY use a keyboard. But then, everyone could use more equipment (aside from like, Hans Zimmer. Or SoundChris. You guys have way too much shit already lol :P)

On an entirely unrelated note, I finally started. dis gun be gud

On an also unrelated note that's related to the other unrelated note: Guys, TaintedLogic reviewed EVERYTHING within like, a day of the scores coming out. Ya'll be slackin'.

Except you, TL. You're cool. Keep at it.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-30 04:46:06

At 8/29/15 10:59 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: But I'd love to hear if there is a better way to do this kind of a radical change?

idk. play to a click? :P

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-30 10:21:23

At 8/30/15 04:46 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/29/15 10:59 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: But I'd love to hear if there is a better way to do this kind of a radical change?
idk. play to a click? :P

Yeah. That's definitely the most efficient way XD
But I did all this in the middle of the night :p
Unfortunately my neighbors don't appreciate me playing then (even with headphones) :(

Yay! I checked the scores, pretty sure I did the worst out of everyone so far! That is okay though, I will be hitting harder in the next round after doing so terrible!

Everyone hates my style, but what can you do? :P

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-30 14:49:35

At 8/30/15 02:10 PM, frootza wrote: Yay! I checked the scores, pretty sure I did the worst out of everyone so far! That is okay though, I will be hitting harder in the next round after doing so terrible!

I like your style though! Epsecially the realism of it. Newgrounds, and much of the internet/world nowadays though, has come to expect a certain kind of quality when it comes to sound and mixing, which is fine. Alternative or niche styles will often not be as popular as such tracks. Also, structures that are not as common will also do worse in general. That said, I think the judges are trying to be as fair as possible when it comes to style/genre alone.
But even with live intruments and such, you can get a great and clear sound with the right eqipment and mixing. But... But the money o.O

Good luck in this round!!

At 8/30/15 10:21 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: But I did all this in the middle of the night :p
Unfortunately my neighbors don't appreciate me playing then (even with headphones) :(

haha yeah i know the nazi neighbour feels. just moved to a new apartment with concrete walls and chill neighbours downstairs, so i can get away with being a little noisy at night as long as there's no bass involved :P

At 8/30/15 01:16 PM, Lich wrote: Barely had time to begin. Heavy work hours and other commitments call. I should be able to start Tuesday maybe.

oh cool. i haven't started either! :)

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-31 00:49:30

At 8/30/15 02:49 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:
At 8/30/15 02:10 PM, frootza wrote:
I like your style though! Epsecially the realism of it. Newgrounds, and much of the internet/world nowadays though, has come to expect a certain kind of quality when it comes to sound and mixing, which is fine. Alternative or niche styles will often not be as popular as such tracks. Also, structures that are not as common will also do worse in general. That said, I think the judges are trying to be as fair as possible when it comes to style/genre alone.
But even with live intruments and such, you can get a great and clear sound with the right eqipment and mixing. But... But the money o.O

Good luck in this round!!

You are too kind Lucid :)

Unfortunately I don't have much equipment or any paid VSTs as I'm sure you can tell, but I do what I can since I'm generally submitting arrangements for different live bands I play in (not my qualifying track, that's just some stuff for smaller string ensembles). I get bored with generic song writing. I feel like I made a nice contribution to melodic dance/trance when I was making it in 2009-- but it doesn't speak to me like it used to so I've kind of withdrawn from it.

I don't know if a harmonic analysis would help but who knows. I've been studying some odd counterpoint methods with a music Professor from Oregon. That being said, I wasn't happy with my mix, but the composition I still feel quite satisfied with.

It is strange that alternative styles would be frowned upon. As music makers we should (I think) be trying to push the music we write to new heights, but I suppose some people just like to stay in their own comfort zones, which likewise is fine. But yeah Lucid, hopefully I break a leg next round! (Along with everyone else!)

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

At 8/30/15 01:05 AM, thebitterroost wrote:
At 8/29/15 11:42 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: It's the judging that ends on the 13th, but our two weeks for composition end on the 8th.
Well damn. I'll have exactly two days to get this thing done after I get back in town. Pre-congrats, @bassfiddlejones!

Though you never know... O.o

Zounds! Well, I'm really glad that I decided to say something about it then. Two days is certainly better than missing the deadline. And no, you never do know, so I won't be counting you out just yet.

Hmmm, funny... I didn´t want to sit on my track today and just ended on my DAW for 5 hours after work. Finally I found a way to continue the track which might acutally work. So in some way I was much more productive than the whole weekend... Anyway, weird piece of music... I shouldn´t experiment too much :)
Everyone´s still fine?

At 8/30/15 10:38 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/30/15 10:21 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: But I did all this in the middle of the night :p
haha yeah i know the nazi neighbour feels. just moved to a new apartment with concrete walls and chill neighbours downstairs, so i can get away with being a little noisy at night as long as there's no bass involved :P

I guess we have the same neighbours. Since I was playing bass a bit drunk at night once (yep, maybe this wasn´t that cool actually) they complain about every lttle noise. I´m not even alowed to practice any instrument anymore Sundays... Time to move I guess...

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-31 19:08:26

At 8/31/15 06:55 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I want to say I'm fine with the project, but I'm too freaking busy lately. My job is killing me. I guess I should never wish for busy work.

At least you aren't a hippy.

Wait maybe you are a hippy... in which case, congratulations on being a hippy with a job. You should be proud.

JK Hippies are usually awesome even if they don't have jobs.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-31 19:21:06

Making some prog-ress with our track. Mwahaha :D

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-08-31 20:04:55

At 8/31/15 07:34 PM, Lich wrote: "I crave for more brutality,
To hear the kick drums smash and bleed.
I yearn for leads douse in red fire,
To make your rage boil even higher."
- Random not-very-inspirational thing by 'LichLord' - 31/09/2015

What I really want to know is how you wrote this an entire month in the future...

At 8/31/15 08:06 PM, Lich wrote:
At 8/31/15 08:04 PM, ChronoNomad wrote: What I really want to know is how you wrote this an entire month in the future...
it's the tea damn it, it distorts my sense of time. I didn't have enough crumpets available to counteract it.

That's what you get for using a flux capacitor and/or super speed to stir your tea. Fortunately, while stirring clockwise takes you forward in time, going counterclockwise has the opposite effect.

Maybe you should try making a song about tea sometime. Hmmm...

Tea steeped in the carcasses of the damned, of course.

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-09-03 04:30:00

At 9/2/15 06:48 PM, Lich wrote: Oh dear, something went super major wrong with my project and now I have to start all over again.
Corrrrrr, things sure are working out.

its ok, i still haven't started hahaha

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '15: Round of 16 2015-09-03 11:51:46

Well - i guess its time to start composing!

BBS Signature