00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cody1993 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Depression

2,759 Views | 31 Replies

Depression 2015-08-24 18:59:18

When do you know if it's a serious problem?

Response to Depression 2015-08-24 19:03:00

At 8/24/15 06:59 PM, OverwhelmingNothing wrote: When do you know if it's a serious problem?

When you're about to attempt suicide.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-24 22:57:40

Depression starts to become serious when it begins manifesting itself physically, like losing weight, sunken face, hypersomnia/insomnia etc.

Inner hurt won't kill you if you're man enough to deal with it.

Response to Depression 2015-08-24 23:09:58

Basically when you start to dwell on your lack of interest on the things that you used to like. I've experienced that shit off and on since I was 13.

Response to Depression 2015-08-24 23:13:58

When masturbating isn't the same as it was before you were depressed.

actually when masturbating just feels bad, that's how you know depression is at it's worst

Response to Depression 2015-08-24 23:32:22

I was told in med school it takes the average male upwards of 12 years to get help with mental health issues. Worrying statistic given how severe some of the cases can be when we see them come in.

At 8/24/15 07:03 PM, Painbringer wrote: When you're about to attempt suicide.

Far from it. Depression is something that can weigh people down even without the intention of committing suicide. It's associated with a lack of interest in things you previously enjoyed, feelings of melancholy or apathy, and the manifestation of physical symptoms such as excessive fatigue and difficulty completing simple tasks. Those things are complete defining criteria, mind you.

I think the fact that you've had to ask the question is a hint that you may potentially be suffering from depression, which isn't too rare given most people experience it at some point in their life, but the issue becomes serious when it's long standing and progressively worsens.

If things get worse, see a doctor.

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 09:49:51

You know you have depression when helicoptering your dick just isn't as fun anymore.

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 10:45:13

At 8/24/15 07:03 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 8/24/15 06:59 PM, OverwhelmingNothing wrote: When do you know if it's a serious problem?

It shouldn't get to that point to realize you need help.

My older brother has depression, he went to the doctor because he was sleeping for like 16 hours a day.

He thought it was vitamin deficiency but he was diagnosed as depressed.

Sometimes you don't even think you're depressed.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 12:17:44

At 8/24/15 11:32 PM, ChaRee wrote:
If things get worse, see a doctor.

Never ever allow a mental illness to be documented. It is easier to have a felony taken off your record than a mental health incident. People have their children taken away in divorce cases everyday because their mental health record is worse than the other spouse. Mental health diagnosis also can result in failed background checks. For example, you can never join the military or police if you have a mental health diagnosis, and in some cases you can be denied a commercial driver's licence.

If you commit a crime, you will eventually pay your debt to society and be released. if you are insane, you can be held indefinitely without having committed a single crime.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 15:16:26

Don't worry OP, November is the sollution

No Fap November: 2014 - 2022

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 19:28:51

At 8/25/15 10:45 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: My older brother has depression, he went to the doctor because he was sleeping for like 16 hours a day.

Isn't that like normal for a growing teen or young adult?

He thought it was vitamin deficiency but he was diagnosed as depressed.
Sometimes you don't even think you're depressed.

Or maybe the pill-pushers "diagnosed" him with depression just to make more money off of him.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 20:07:44

At 8/25/15 07:28 PM, Painbringer wrote: Isn't that like normal for a growing teen or young adult?

My brother is pushing 26 sir.

Or maybe the pill-pushers "diagnosed" him with depression just to make more money off of him.

There was a variety of their factors that contributed to this... They did tests and even bloodwork to figure out the issue.

He didn't go to the doctor, tell them he's tired and the put him on amphetamines or whatever the fuck they are.

Not to mention doctors don't make money off their prescriptions.

Everyone is so fucking edgy on General today I love it.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-25 22:20:57 (edited 2015-08-25 22:21:56)

At 8/24/15 08:42 PM, Centaurora wrote:
At 8/24/15 07:03 PM, Painbringer wrote:
^ This.

Sadness isn't that serious of a problem.

don't listen to these people

At 8/24/15 07:02 PM, Cordyceps wrote: When it interferes with stuff that you need to get done then you should seek assistance
At 8/25/15 09:29 AM, NekoMika wrote: Signs its serious:
- Desire to self harm
- Isolating yourself from friends and those you are close to
- Sometimes suicidal thoughts
- Lack of desire to do things you love because you feel it's a waste of time
- Feeling your existence is a waste of space

listen to these ones

filler text blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 00:15:51

When 90% percent of your day is spent jacking off just for that one second of happiness when you orgasm.

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 00:30:28

When any of the following are true:
- You feel like things won't, or can't get better.
- You reject friends.
- You feel suicidal. Period.
- You feel hopeless.
- You can't make music :( (or just art in general)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 02:08:17

When it gets in the way of life.

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 08:43:44

Son of a fuck, this thread is sad! At least a couple people made dick jokes to lighten the mood.

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 09:31:23

At 8/25/15 12:17 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Never ever allow a mental illness to be documented.

Don't go to hospitals after having a heart attack either. That shit will lower your chances of being accepted for life insurance.

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 10:00:01

Everyone's already listed warning signs for serious depression, but you can prevent it from getting that far by forcing yourself to change. When I say that I don't mean "lol just be happy"-- no, you have to change your daily routine. Get lots of exercise, improve your diet, and you'll begin to feel better. You won't be depression-free overnight, but you will improve if you do it every day.

You don't need to start by running a marathon. Just get out of your house, walk up and down the street. When you feel more comfortable, just go further, and further. If you're sleeping for more than 8 hours, you need to get yourself an alarm clock and work to form a regular sleep schedule. And a healthy diet is very important. Depression is caused by low levels of dopamine. Eating junk food will give you quick bursts of dopamine, but it will run out quickly too. What you need to do is eat more of whatever the food pyramid dictates, and eat less snacks.

DO NOT TAKE ANTIDEPRESSANTS. You'll develop a dependency on the pills and it may only make your depression worse. Also withdrawal's a bitch.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 10:13:26

At 8/26/15 08:43 AM, NEOSLAYRE wrote: Son of a fuck, this thread is sad! At least a couple people made dick jokes to lighten the mood.

-when you walk down the street and everyone literally looks like a walking penis.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 10:13:39

At 8/26/15 09:31 AM, ChaRee wrote: Don't go to hospitals after having a heart attack either. That shit will lower your chances of being accepted for life insurance.

Dude, seriously, don't. I work in the industry. The only thing that fixes heart problems is exercise and diet. Once you start harvesting veins from the legs for bypass surgeries, or worse, anti-rejection meds for a transplants, your quality of life falls to shit. You can pay a doctor to tell you to eat spinach and ride your bike, or you can just eat spinach and ride your bike. Or you can just die young, it's your choice really. Any medicine they give you will just attempt to replicate the effects of a spinach salad and an hour long bike ride.

Same thing with mental health. Everybody has the capacity to be nuts, but if you're properly culturalized you won't be. Art fixes mental illness. Any pill they give you is an attempt to replicate the effects of art.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 23:48:55

At 8/26/15 10:13 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: Dude, seriously, don't. I work in the industry.

Dude, seriously, I'm a doctor.

I'll agree that it's a poor state of affairs that people will lose some entitlements after being diagnosed with a mental health issue, but if it gets to the point where it's becoming disabling then intervention can help.

Response to Depression 2015-08-26 23:58:26

It can never be a problem
its all in your head due to the fact that depression was created by people from outside space and they are just waitin for us to fall down a flight of cement stairs without a railing and then my brother said Hey you want some help up? and i said yeah i really hurt my big toe and then he pushed me down some more stairs and no one believed me that it happened
and that its why depression is a lie do to the fact that it does not exist.

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 00:41:16

Depression is real. I have to take a considerable amount of anti-depressants just to get through the day.
It doesn't make sense to those who have never been depressed. I think it's harder for someone to define depression with out ever actually being depressed.

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 01:08:36

Maybe depression is no different than having an addiction

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 10:47:52

At 8/26/15 11:48 PM, ChaRee wrote:
Dude, seriously, I'm a doctor.

I'll agree that it's a poor state of affairs that people will lose some entitlements after being diagnosed with a mental health issue, but if it gets to the point where it's becoming disabling then intervention can help.

The ability to raise your children and not have them taken from you by the state is not an entitlement, it is a fundamental right. Getting a disability check for being crazy is entitlement.

Exposing yourself to the possibility of involuntary hospitalization, now that's crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 11:39:30

The fact that you are worried about whether your depression has become serious is a sign that you need to seek medical advice.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 15:09:11

Constant suicidal thoughts, wanting to sleep all day and do nothing, lost of interest in things that you once liked to do.

Seek professional help if any of the above bother you on a daily basis

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 15:35:40

Depression is a problem only if it cannot inspire you. Many great artists were depressed, and used that as inspiration.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Depression 2015-08-27 17:26:00

You'll know. Recognizing that it is a problem and then posting it on the forums is a sign.

It's the problem the second you recognize it as such. And when you do, you'll realize that every problem has a solution.