00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JSkell95 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you think of my art?

651 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've been a member of Newgrounds for about 3 months now and my art hasn't been noticed as much as I'd like. I feel that my art is fairly good, but maybe they're not good or interesting enough. I don't plan for this topic to be a recurring art thread since I'm about to start college and probably won't be drawing much anyway. I just want to see what you guys think of my current uploads. I think that I'll just post 3 or 4 of my favorites, and if you like them (or not) you're free to check out the others.

I'll start with a portrait I drew of a cute dog.

Here's a robot type thing(?)

I'm so proud of this one. I painted it on a wall at my high school.

Response to What do you think of my art? 2015-08-22 14:37:02

Make the darks darker and the lights lighter.

Response to What do you think of my art? 2015-08-23 02:00:36

Your art looks very 2 dimensional. Can you draw boxes?

Response to What do you think of my art? 2015-08-23 08:23:37

At 8/22/15 01:34 PM, Silvergun-Superman wrote: I'll start with a portrait I drew of a cute dog.

Hey this is great!
I think the only prob I have with this is it's too contrasted and lack middle values.
Nice attention to details and attention though.

At 8/22/15 01:35 PM, Silvergun-Superman wrote: Here's a robot type thing(?)

The idea is pretty good, but the pencils looks waaay to smudgy and looks really dirty because of it.

Nothing to see here.

Response to What do you think of my art? 2015-08-23 08:38:48

Great work, thanks for sharing! Keep it up! :D

At 8/23/15 02:00 AM, plumbum-Below wrote: Your art looks very 2 dimensional. Can you draw boxes?

Yeah, I can draw boxes. Sorry that I don't have anything to back my claim. I don't have much time to spare for drawing at the moment either. Could you elaborate so that I can have a better understanding?

Response to What do you think of my art? 2015-08-23 10:10:53

At 8/22/15 01:35 PM, Silvergun-Superman wrote: Here's a robot type thing(?)
The idea is pretty good, but the pencils looks waaay to smudgy and looks really dirty because of it.

A problem that I have sometimes is rushing through my art. If I had of taken my time I know that I would have attained a better result.

At 8/23/15 08:38 AM, Hyptosis wrote: Great work, thanks for sharing! Keep it up! :D

I will continue to do my best :D

At 8/22/15 02:37 PM, M-Maher wrote: Make the darks darker and the lights lighter.

I definitely need to buy darker grade pencils

Response to What do you think of my art? 2015-08-23 12:05:40

At 8/23/15 10:03 AM, Silvergun-Superman wrote:
At 8/23/15 02:00 AM, plumbum-Below wrote: Your art looks very 2 dimensional. Can you draw boxes?
Yeah, I can draw boxes. Sorry that I don't have anything to back my claim. I don't have much time to spare for drawing at the moment either. Could you elaborate so that I can have a better understanding?

It feels like you have a weak sense of 3d. Hence why I asked if you could draw boxes. Drawings are after all build on a good understanding of simple 3 dimensional shapes. It would be nice if you could show me some boxes you drew as I might be able to pinpoint why you're not transferring your knowledge to your more advanced drawings. The image I included is an example of how important simple shapes are (I simplified clavicula, scapula and humerus into comprehensible boxes).

At 8/23/15 12:05 PM, plumbum-Below wrote: It would be nice if you could show me some boxes you drew as I might be able to pinpoint why you're not transferring your knowledge to your more advanced drawings.

Excuse the low res pic; I couldn't get my scanner to work.

At 8/23/15 12:05 PM, plumbum-Below wrote: The image I included is an example of how important simple shapes are (I simplified clavicula, scapula and humerus into comprehensible boxes).

Here's my simplified form of a giraffe. Probably should've redrawn where the neck connects to the body, but I just decided to upload it anyway since I already took the picture before noticing. I don't know if it's a major mistake but it's bothering me.

Your art looks great! Every artist has an unique set of skills and the only way to found out is to keep making art.
Don't let anyone tell you what looks good or not. It's up to you!

As long as you're having fun, keep creating things that inspire you.

At 8/22/15 01:34 PM, Silvergun-Superman wrote: I've been a member of Newgrounds for about 3 months now and my art hasn't been noticed as much as I'd like. I feel that my art is fairly good, but maybe they're not good or interesting enough. I don't plan for this topic to be a recurring art thread since I'm about to start college and probably won't be drawing much anyway. I just want to see what you guys think of my current uploads. I think that I'll just post 3 or 4 of my favorites, and if you like them (or not) you're free to check out the others.

I'll start with a portrait I drew of a cute dog.