00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch

3,110 Views | 37 Replies

Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 16:44:23

If you are able to play games that require the Unity plugin, it would be HUGELY APPRECIATED if you could run through the under judgment list from the bottom up. There are lots of Unity games that have been sitting on that list for a while now because a lot of the voting population can't play them.

I'll also note that most of what I've seen should probably be blammed, so this is a good opportunity for some blam points.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 16:49:03

At 8/19/15 04:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you are able to play games that require the Unity plugin, it would be HUGELY APPRECIATED if you could run through the under judgment list from the bottom up. There are lots of Unity games that have been sitting on that list for a while now because a lot of the voting population can't play them.

I'll also note that most of what I've seen should probably be blammed, so this is a good opportunity for some blam points.

On this note is there a reason why so many of us can't play these? I have Unity myself the actual game creation studio and I'm positive it came with the Unity player yet these Newgrounds games just plain don't work even if I go and install it yet again from the links the failed to load submission gives.... I don't know if I'm just failing to properly use it or if there is a problem with the player or Chrome.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 16:57:56

At 8/19/15 04:49 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: On this note is there a reason why so many of us can't play these? I have Unity myself the actual game creation studio and I'm positive it came with the Unity player yet these Newgrounds games just plain don't work even if I go and install it yet again from the links the failed to load submission gives.... I don't know if I'm just failing to properly use it or if there is a problem with the player or Chrome.

Chrome disabled the Unity player. There's a workaround, at the top of the address bar, type: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
You will see "Enable NPAPI" highlighted in yellow - click the link to "Enable."

This workaround is expected to stop working in September, at which point... Windows Edge?

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 17:26:24

At 8/19/15 04:53 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Wow these games are bad

Am I alone here or is this submission demanding I pay money to be allowed to "download" it?
How do you flag stuff again? Or do I need to tell a mod now?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 17:26:52

Stupid question, I know but what's unity?

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 17:27:25

At 8/19/15 05:26 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 8/19/15 04:53 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Wow these games are bad
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/662342
Am I alone here or is this submission demanding I pay money to be allowed to "download" it?
How do you flag stuff again? Or do I need to tell a mod now?

I went ahead and unpublished that one. Usually give people a stab at the blam points but this list is too backed up right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 17:31:46

It's disappointing that authors now have access to an entirely new platform (Unity), but all I ever see are variations on whatever template/tutorial the author was using to learn how it works. I've seen enough rolling ball games.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 17:45:22

At 8/19/15 05:26 PM, NEOSLAYRE wrote: Stupid question, I know but what's unity?

Unity is a game development tool that allows you to make games to be released on web, mobile or even console:

https://unity3d.com/

To run a Unity game in your web browser you need the Unity plugin, although Chrome has now disabled it. Unity has addressed this with a WebGL export although it's not 100% there yet and lots of devs still seem to be ignoring it (they might not have upgraded their version of Unity yet). In time it should all work out... Web gaming has been going through a rough patch for the past three or so years.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 19:08:24

At 8/19/15 04:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:

that doesn't just relate to unity submissions. if you could get round to deleting the accounts of enagames, escapefan, and everything else that submits stuff every single day, that'd be great

or better, just implement a hard limit of 2-3 submissions per week.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 20:56:38

At 8/19/15 04:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: Chrome disabled the Unity player. There's a workaround, at the top of the address bar, type: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

This workaround is expected to stop working in September, at which point... Windows Edge?

Chrome did not disable Unity per se, it disabled NPAPI which Unity depends on. Firefox still uses NPAPI and can thus use it.
It is still possible that in the future Unity will be ported to Chrome's new plugin system, as Flash player has been.

derp

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 21:50:55

now they need to stop support for the Flash Plugin.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-19 22:02:33

At 8/19/15 04:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: good opportunity for some blam points.

Sounds good.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-20 06:18:12

I went into Newgrounds via Firefox and tried to access these games but I get the same message that I need the unity player. I suppose I need to download Unity somehow to access via Firefox?

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-20 07:09:48

Looks to me like some recent changes around town have backfired, eh?

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-20 08:45:37

At 8/20/15 06:18 AM, BloodPact wrote: I went into Newgrounds via Firefox and tried to access these games but I get the same message that I need the unity player. I suppose I need to download Unity somehow to access via Firefox?

Correct - you can install the Unity player in Firefox and they should work.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-20 14:23:28

So, all the kids I see playing games on their smartphones, are they mostly playing Unity games, Flash games, or what?

Between one vote per submission, and the apparent newness of Unity, the Portal seems like it's backing up again. Clock Day's glut of content has already passed judgement... must be the summer months, huh?

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-20 14:23:33

At 8/20/15 01:56 PM, D-Nightmare wrote: PS: did my part, and voted on all 60 or so submissions.

yey

Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-20 14:40:11

At 8/20/15 02:23 PM, VicariousE wrote: So, all the kids I see playing games on their smartphones, are they mostly playing Unity games, Flash games, or what?

Between one vote per submission, and the apparent newness of Unity, the Portal seems like it's backing up again. Clock Day's glut of content has already passed judgement... must be the summer months, huh?

Hopefully things will pick up, although I think Unity will continue to be a problem - wonder if we could lower the judgment threshold for Unity specifically since it's a smaller audience. Could even try shrinking judgment in general since everything is tracked better nowadays.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 04:41:57

At 8/19/15 04:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you are able to play games that require the Unity plugin

See, i kinda wish i could. Sometimes it works, most of the time though i get this nag screen that is trying to convince me i haven't installed the unity plugin for firefox at all and if i'd be so kind as to go to their website and install it again cus whatever.

I have no idea why this is though or what i'm supposed to do to remedy it but it does put me off from even looking at what's new lately.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 06:47:58

At 8/19/15 04:57 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/19/15 04:49 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: On this note is there a reason why so many of us can't play these? I have Unity myself the actual game creation studio and I'm positive it came with the Unity player yet these Newgrounds games just plain don't work even if I go and install it yet again from the links the failed to load submission gives.... I don't know if I'm just failing to properly use it or if there is a problem with the player or Chrome.
Chrome disabled the Unity player. There's a workaround, at the top of the address bar, type: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

You should also mention that it doesn't work on Linux or any other non-Microsoft non-Apple OSes. So it's not just Windows users of Chrome who are affected. They're just now getting the taste of what Linux users had all along.

That's not to say they couldn't make it work under Linux but they haven't as of yet so I don't care to promote a platform that only works on proprietary OSes and yet has the audacity to claim itself as a portable solution.

Also it would help quite a lot if you'd implement a filtering system like we have with the ratings, but for platform, F -Flash, H -HTML5, U -Unity, with icons in the upper-right as the ratings icons are in the upper-left, and then also be able to filter submissions based on platform would also be helpful.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 08:17:13

can't use it on Chrome can't use it on Linux unless I'm using Wine. Unity is just as useless as the Flash plugin, gonna boot Win7 and Firefag and Vote 0 on the Unity submissions since they are pretty bad regardless.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 17:02:23

At 8/21/15 12:13 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: i dont particularly like any other platform than flash, java, and javascript. primarily because i use firefox, (chrome's actually slower than internet explorer) and webgl and unity dont work for whatever reason here either.

Speaking of which, I'm really not sure why Newgrounds doesn't support Java as a browser gaming platform people can use. It's a hell of a lot more portable (you know, in actual portability and not the lame "portability" that just means Windows and Macintosh) than Unity as a browser gaming platform. I mean I don't mind additional platforms other than Flash but there should be some way to filter, but if we're going to include some, why not all? The bulk of the code would be made by the games submitters anyway -- all Newgrounds would have to do would be to host it. If it's security problems, I imagine Unity has just as many if not more, and same with Flash. Any plugin can be exploitable and that's just a fact.

course, i dont know jack about computers besides the basic "start menu to find programs, ms word to type stuff, open browser to look at internet, open paint to copy/paste an image" stuff.. not even command prompts.

Most of that's okay, except the "ms word to type stuff" ... bad. Bad. You should never edit or create text files in Word. (You should at minimal use Notepad for that). Word processors should only be used for marking up documents stylistically and such, and not for any other use.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 17:34:04

At 8/21/15 05:02 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Speaking of which, I'm really not sure why Newgrounds doesn't support Java as a browser gaming platform people can use.

Stuff that requires the JAVA plug-in has never sat very well with me, it just always feels like it has more complications and issues than Flash and even Unity. HOWEVER, a lot of that is in the past when NG was dedicated to Flash, so it isn't as much out of the question nowadays... I do think JAVA has been eliminated from Chrome, though. Are there that many JAVA web games out there, particularly by indie types vs MMOs and stuff?

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 17:35:15

At 8/21/15 05:13 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 8/21/15 05:02 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Most of that's okay, except the "ms word to type stuff" ... bad. Bad. You should never edit or create text files in Word. (You should at minimal use Notepad for that). Word processors should only be used for marking up documents stylistically and such, and not for any other use.
just because the formatting is ruined? i dont require typing all that often. just copying my cheats and walkthroughs and writing fanfics mostly.

it's not such a big deal with the formatting.

Two reasons:

- If it's any kind of file your computer will ever have to make sense of, you just totally corrupted that file.
- If it's any kind of file meant for someone else to read and you don't save in a compatible format, you just totally middle-fingered them. Happens when people get a brand spanking new version of MS Word and get in the bad habit of saving everything as newest version (usually because that's what it defaults to), then sending those files to people and expect them to read them. Don't do that. People will hate you.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 17:52:46

At 8/21/15 05:34 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/21/15 05:02 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Speaking of which, I'm really not sure why Newgrounds doesn't support Java as a browser gaming platform people can use.
Stuff that requires the JAVA plug-in has never sat very well with me, it just always feels like it has more complications and issues than Flash and even Unity. HOWEVER, a lot of that is in the past when NG was dedicated to Flash, so it isn't as much out of the question nowadays... I do think JAVA has been eliminated from Chrome, though. Are there that many JAVA web games out there, particularly by indie types vs MMOs and stuff?

I'm not sure that there's any organized movement, per-se, but you'd certainly open up the Newgrounds games portal to a larger pool of potential indie games developers. An extremely large one. Java tends to be one of the first languages taught to budding new programmers in just about all universities these days. That means many of them would be right at home coding Java applets.

I can't promise you'd all of a sudden have tons of people using it, but if word got out and university students saw there was a place to submit their games online for people to review and such, it's possible it could gain traction. Of course Newgrounds will mostly be known for Flash, as it should, but as long as we're on the subject of other web gaming platforms...

I do think it would be nice to filter via platform though, because I know not everyone will want to play/view things from every platform nor even can they. Just like you can filter out the Adult content, it would be nice to have a filter for each platform type as well although I realize changes like that take time to implement. You could default to all types allowed but user settings could unselect types they don't want.

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-08-21 18:06:17

Unity has caused me nothing but trouble. I would be happy if NewGrounds stopped supporting it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-09-04 11:58:22

Update: The latest version of Chrome has completely removed NPAPI support, so you can't even enable it manually. This means not more Unity3D games in Chrome - devs are highly encouraged to make a WebGL export!

Everyone else: A lot of Unity games have aged out of the Classic Portal list and are now only listed here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/games/under_judgment

If you have Unity support, please go vote! There's some in there that are worth saving.

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-09-13 16:47:32

I have unity so i am trying but their are a lot of games so please guys lets get the good games on the website and the bad ones blamed

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-09-14 08:38:57

At 9/13/15 04:47 PM, Willppp wrote: I have unity so i am trying but their are a lot of games so please guys lets get the good games on the website and the bad ones blamed

Thanks for helping with this!

BBS Signature

Response to Unity Plugin Neighborhood Watch 2015-09-14 10:06:35

Looks like Unity still works for IE and me being the lazy ass i am, used it instead of downloading a better browser, managed to go through the 18 games that have been there the longest, literally only one game was decent (or not 100% shit, whatever you wanna call it).
Are the people submitting these games even aware that they don't work for everyone? Is there any sort of disclaimer that pops up when they upload their files?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature