00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

question for maximus users

1,096 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

question for maximus users 2015-08-04 04:48:17

When using the graph to compress something how do you determine the ratio? I know how to set threshold but how would I make for example a 4:1 ratio?

Ratio just ends up being the x:y relationship on the graph where the horizontal axis x is input and the vertical axis y is the output. Same concept applies for the fruity waveshaper. 4:1 just means that for every 4db of input you get 1db output; you'd have to make a line with a slope of 1/4 starting after your threshold. Cool thing about maximus is that you can really get in there and customize as much as you want because of the graph editor. You can have several "thresholds" in a sense with all kinds of shapes for the "ratios," etc. It's a really neat plugin in that sense, PLUS it's multiband. Anyway, hope I answered your question haha

Here's my latest track, listen if you like :P

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/636896

Response to question for maximus users 2015-08-05 06:38:36

At 8/4/15 06:27 PM, ElysianSky wrote: Ratio just ends up being the x:y relationship on the graph where the horizontal axis x is input and the vertical axis y is the output. Same concept applies for the fruity waveshaper. 4:1 just means that for every 4db of input you get 1db output; you'd have to make a line with a slope of 1/4 starting after your threshold. Cool thing about maximus is that you can really get in there and customize as much as you want because of the graph editor. You can have several "thresholds" in a sense with all kinds of shapes for the "ratios," etc. It's a really neat plugin in that sense, PLUS it's multiband. Anyway, hope I answered your question haha

I get what x and y mean but how do you actually visually see that its 4:1, math isnt exactly my forte. So for example say i got a threshold at -14 db and the ratio point set to say -3db is there some kind of calculation you need to do?

Response to question for maximus users 2015-08-05 15:35:52

At 8/5/15 06:38 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote:
At 8/4/15 06:27 PM, ElysianSky wrote: Ratio just ends up being the x:y relationship on the graph where the horizontal axis x is input and the vertical axis y is the output. Same concept applies for the fruity waveshaper. 4:1 just means that for every 4db of input you get 1db output; you'd have to make a line with a slope of 1/4 starting after your threshold. Cool thing about maximus is that you can really get in there and customize as much as you want because of the graph editor. You can have several "thresholds" in a sense with all kinds of shapes for the "ratios," etc. It's a really neat plugin in that sense, PLUS it's multiband. Anyway, hope I answered your question haha
I get what x and y mean but how do you actually visually see that its 4:1, math isnt exactly my forte. So for example say i got a threshold at -14 db and the ratio point set to say -3db is there some kind of calculation you need to do?

Find the slope of the ratio line, that is, the change in y (output) over the change in x (input). I'll show you a picture. To be honest with you, you shouldn't bother doing any of that as it isn't really practical. If you understand what the graph represents, just use your ears and move the points around until it sounds how you want it to and fits in the mix. Your mix isn't going to sound any better if your ratio is EXACTLY 4:1. The graph rarely snap whole numbers anyway. I usually try to stay away from the whole "mix with your ears, not your eyes" cliche but in this case it definitely applies. So don't worry about getting the numbers exactly right :P

question for maximus users

Here's my latest track, listen if you like :P

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/636896

Response to question for maximus users 2015-08-06 11:23:00

At 8/4/15 04:48 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: When using the graph to compress something how do you determine the ratio? I know how to set threshold but how would I make for example a 4:1 ratio?

As a side note I would recommend keeping it pretty simple with the super cool XY chart on Maximus.

It can be tempting to go insane and make really weird shapes tailored to your song, but it really just messes with the natural sound. I usually only mess with making the line more or less tense to boost quiet or lower quiet sounds on any of the bands. Usually highs I boost the lower sounds, and the lows I tend to lower the low sounds.

Response to question for maximus users 2015-08-06 13:37:14

Thanks for the responses, i kinda get what you mean with that :)