00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boayne98 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stopped eating bacon

2,246 Views | 35 Replies

Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 20:10:25

Last week, I decided to get points docked off my man card and have sworn off all pork products. A pig's intelligence, diet, and by a lesser extension, general treatment in the industry, has turned me off of it all. By treatment, I don't just mean pre-slaughter, either.

I know we've got some vegetarians/vegans in here, but has anyone sworn off of one specific animal? Care to explain?

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 20:21:03

You poor man.

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 20:28:28

The treatment of pigs is not unusual. All other animals raised for their meat undergo a similar process.

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep, but most are either unwilling to acknowledge it, would rather play it off as a joke, or simply do not care.

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 20:30:10

I don't eat chicken anymore because I live near a chicken coup so I see live chickens everyday and their really cute so I just feel guilty if I eat chicken now.

Popular opinions are overrated. (Just like The Last Of Us)

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 20:49:57

At 7/27/15 08:28 PM, Bit wrote: The treatment of pigs is not unusual. All other animals raised for their meat undergo a similar process.

Most definitely, and I still have a little difficulty explaining myself to some people. I think it's the treatment, diet, and degree of intelligence in combination that troubles me.

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 20:58:36

At 7/27/15 08:49 PM, FinaLee wrote:
At 7/27/15 08:28 PM, Bit wrote: The treatment of pigs is not unusual. All other animals raised for their meat undergo a similar process.
Most definitely, and I still have a little difficulty explaining myself to some people. I think it's the treatment, diet, and degree of intelligence in combination that troubles me.

Pigs are basically dogs. I have family that used to keep one as a pet.

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 21:12:31

I've gone off lamb products after my friends and i went to a carnival where we got to feed the little lambs. Which doesn't seem like a big deal in comparison considering its not the only form of red meat protein

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 21:15:08

I'm not Muslim so i can eat anything. especially pork. - i dont mean it in a racist way.
double layered bacon in between two pieces of honey ham.
i can never give up any kind of meat. ever

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 22:45:59

I stopped eating dragons because they are an endangered species.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-27 23:18:33

I don't eat pork or chicken

I have no problem with chickens and pigs being killed, just don't like the texture

As a southern straight white male cyclist, I'm probably the most hated person in America right now

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 00:43:37

I, too, stopped believing in love.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 00:51:23

Same here man. I stopped eating grain. All of this genetic and chemical testing today's scientists do on them just breaks my heart. After my experience of frolicking through a field of wheat, I just feel so guilty when I eat them now. I know there are some phototrophs on here, but is there anyone who has abstained from one specific plant? Care to explain?

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 01:00:41

At 7/27/15 10:45 PM, satanbrain wrote: I stopped eating dragons because they are an endangered species.

some one has a soul thank you

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 04:53:07

At 7/27/15 09:35 PM, FenrisVenti wrote:
At 7/27/15 09:12 PM, FoAngel wrote: I've gone off lamb products after my friends and i went to a carnival where we got to feed the little lambs. Which doesn't seem like a big deal in comparison considering its not the only form of red meat protein
Lamb is fucking expensive.

O yea I dont eat lamb either. Only because Id never liked their meat.

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 04:57:45

I'm by no means vegetarian, and I know this is kind of inverse to what you were asking, but I reckon I could get by as a pescetarian (vegetarian who eats fish, I think?). I never really think of the ethics of eating meat until someone starts talking about how it's farmed, then I do sometimes feel bad I guess.

If I'm being honest, it's probably just laziness on my part. It's easier for me to stick with meat products (because they're everywhere) than it is for me to come up with a new diet.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 05:30:21

At 7/28/15 04:57 AM, Dean wrote: I'm by no means vegetarian, and I know this is kind of inverse to what you were asking, but I reckon I could get by as a pescetarian (vegetarian who eats fish, I think?). I never really think of the ethics of eating meat until someone starts talking about how it's farmed, then I do sometimes feel bad I guess.

I'm much happier with eating food which has been hunted over being farmed. Which is why I like fish since they tend to be fished up from the ocean and of course they also get farmed but I try to avoid those ones since fish farms are really bad economically as well as ethically with the way they go through like 4 pounds of anchovies for 1 pound of salmon I think the ratio rate was which is blatantly not going to end well for the anchovies continued existence.

I love bacon but I don't like to eat it anymore due to the ridiculous fat produced. I bought some recently for the first time in ages and with using no oil to lubricate the pan at all it produced pretty much a layer of liquidy fat by the time the 6 slices were fried.

Obviously fat in small quantities is good, but the type in bacon seems to be the bad kind of it likely, also it has other problems that the medical community tell you is bad to eat. So I will only have it as a rare treat.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 11:56:54

I stopped eating any type of fish or taking any type of fish oil supplements when I read about how much we've devastated the oceans. We've reduced the fish population by something like over 90% since the 1950s and we continue to do very destructive things like bottom trawling. Just sickening.

Then there's factory farming and how destructive that is: tremendous water usage, ozone harming methane production, deforestation of the rain forests for cattle production, overuse of antibiotics and hormones, the utter cruelty of it all, and on and on.

Then there is the fact that animal products wreak absolute havoc on the human body (read The China Study if any of you don't believe me). Even if we ignore the preponderance of evidence showing how unhealthy eating animal products is, we still have the massive environmental impacts and everything else to deal with.

I'm not a total vegan yet, but I've been working to replace all animal products in my diet. I think I'm about 80-90% there. I feel like it's the responsible and sane thing to do just from an environmental standpoint alone.

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 14:24:08

At 7/28/15 11:56 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: I'm not a total vegan yet, but I've been working to replace all animal products in my diet. I think I'm about 80-90% there. I feel like it's the responsible and sane thing to do just from an environmental standpoint alone.

Everything's bad though. If everyone suddenly became vegan overnight there would be animal overpopulation, followed by food shortages, and those animals which were formerly captive won't know how to live naturally as they've been artificially-bred too long. Damned if you do damned if you don't. And most of our plant food is artificially produced these days as well.

Besides, personal abstaining from eating certain kinds of foods doesn't put much of a dent in anything. Do it for health reasons if you must, but to think such personal abstaining has any kind of positive impact on the environment is a bit delusional.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 15:19:42

I haven't sworn off of it, but I hardly eat pork. I don't really self-identify as a Muslim, but I come from an Islamic family, and STILL living with my mom, I guess I just don't eat it since she does the grocery shopping. I don't really care, tbh.

Also, I like turkey bacon, that stuff is really fucking good. I rarely ever eat bacon, but when I do, it's turkey, and it's damn delicious.

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 18:54:09

I don't eat as much as I used to because it costs so much. Only get it when it's on sale. Still consider Farmland to be the best.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 20:29:38

... In my opinion, I love animals, of course. But, I still like eating meat. As humans, I always thought that we should've been omnivores instead of herbivores and carnivores. I just never understood why people are vegans and shit, to be honest.

I'm just a girl from Texas. Nothing much.

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 20:34:45

At 7/28/15 02:24 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 7/28/15 11:56 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: I'm not a total vegan yet, but I've been working to replace all animal products in my diet. I think I'm about 80-90% there. I feel like it's the responsible and sane thing to do just from an environmental standpoint alone.
Everything's bad though. If everyone suddenly became vegan overnight there would be animal overpopulation, followed by food shortages, and those animals which were formerly captive won't know how to live naturally as they've been artificially-bred too long. Damned if you do damned if you don't. And most of our plant food is artificially produced these days as well.

Besides, personal abstaining from eating certain kinds of foods doesn't put much of a dent in anything. Do it for health reasons if you must, but to think such personal abstaining has any kind of positive impact on the environment is a bit delusional.

Also if the marjority only ate food from plants we would need even more space for agriculture which would lead to even more deforestation and destruction of habitats. There is not much to do about the useage of animals nomatter how wrong it might seem.

Butthole

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 20:50:10

At 7/28/15 08:40 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 7/28/15 08:34 PM, Julianr wrote: Also if the marjority only ate food from plants we would need even more space for agriculture
Facts

Inb4 "Hurr but animals taste good durr"

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 21:13:24 (edited 2015-07-28 21:16:03)

At 7/28/15 08:40 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 7/28/15 08:34 PM, Julianr wrote: Also if the marjority only ate food from plants we would need even more space for agriculture
The global scope of the livestock issue is huge. A 212-page online report published by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization says 26 percent of the earth’s terrestrial surface is used for livestock grazing. One-third of the planet’s arable land is occupied by livestock feed crop cultivation. Seventy percent of Brazil’s deforested land is used as pasture, with feed crop cultivation occupying much of the remainder. And in Botswana, the livestock industry consumes 23 percent of all water used. Globally, 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions can be attributed to the livestock industry—more than is produced by transportation-related sources. And in the United States, livestock production is responsible for 55 percent of erosion, 37 percent of all applied pesticides and 50 percent of antibiotics consumed, while the animals themselves directly consume 95 percent of our oat production and 80 percent of our corn, according to the Sierra Club.

One thing is that we cant just remove the animals and not supect the change in production, because what they eat is what we later consume so we would probably not see rehabilation of old farm land and as our human poluation is rising in most countries we would need to use more over time. I can see i might be wrong about how much extra land we would need. But by the issues of water usage and pullution and other kinds of pollutions wouldnt just be fixed by going "vegan/vegetarien" because of the machines and the stuff needed to keep incests and deciease away from the plants.

Also coming from Denmark which a country that mostly gets water on it fields from the sky instead of watering machinery, I havent really considered the whole thing about other countries who has problems with water.

Also there are more issues that have to be considered to help making our wolrd better like overproducing, food waste and becoming more organic.

Also meat is tasty (and I'm not an expert about any of this so I could be wrong about everything I say) :P

Butthole

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 21:33:41

I only eat weeds and fallen leaves actually, directly from mother nature and no one gets hurt.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 21:37:04

At 7/27/15 08:10 PM, FinaLee wrote: Last week, I decided to get points docked off my man card and have sworn off all pork products. A pig's intelligence, diet, and by a lesser extension, general treatment in the industry, has turned me off of it all. By treatment, I don't just mean pre-slaughter, either.

I know we've got some vegetarians/vegans in here, but has anyone sworn off of one specific animal? Care to explain?

pork is great unless it goes to air. Pork goes bad so fucking fast. I mean fast.

other than that it's delicious.

You could say it's kind of "not koshure" and it really wouldn't be if you didn't have a freezer.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 22:05:44

At 7/28/15 09:44 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: the one written by the guy who said all this?

Yes, there are arguments and counterarguments to his work. I don't have time to read through all of this and I don't really care too much. What I know is based off a lot more than just this one book.

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 22:12:06

I stopped eating peanut butter cookies because of the poor conditions my stomach experienced when I ate a whole platter of them when I was 10.

I like the idea of knowing where your food comes from. If I were able to grow my own food be it vegetables, fruit and animals I totally would. My brother is interested in sustainable sustenance farming. He made me watch Food, Inc and Supersize Me a couple of times over the years.

I think there are a lot of people in our generation who are questioning what we buy and why it's produced the way it is. We don't need bread that will last a nuclear winter. We don't need meat from animals pumped full over antibiotics and steroids. The "family" farm has been pushed out by corporate mega farms. You can't even buy eggs from the farm down the street legally in some places. And heaven forbid you purchase unpasteurized milk (best stuff on earth!) from a stand at the edge of town.

I recently purchased some land and want to keep horses. My friends have suggested I buy a couple of goats to help control the 5 acres of weeds I have, and I've a coworker who purchases goats from a farm near me and would happily slaughter and eat any extra goats I have at the end of the season.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Stopped eating bacon 2015-07-28 22:50:05

At 7/28/15 12:51 AM, koopahermit wrote: Same here man. I stopped eating grain.

Haven't you donated like 200,000 grains on Freerice? How does "genocidal murder" sound, you heartless bastard?

At 7/28/15 05:22 AM, UltraAusterity wrote: Maybe pigs should never have been used as a food source in the first place, but we're too used to it at this point so it's too late.

I don't think so. If a nation can become culturally accepting of a certain dietary lifestyle, I think we can grow into accepting a different, more beneficial lifestyle as time goes by.

At 7/28/15 11:56 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: I stopped eating any type of fish or taking any type of fish oil supplements when I read about how much we've devastated the oceans. We've reduced the fish population by something like over 90% since the 1950s and we continue to do very destructive things like bottom trawling. Just sickening.

I love both fishing and eating fish, but commercial fishing has really fucked it up for a lot of us. Florida has really been my only experience so far with commercial fishing, and I'm told it is a lot better here than most other places, especially when compared to other countries. We've already got a lot of restrictions in place for vessel fishing in terms of maximum amount, seasons, and minimum size requirements, but I think we could definitely go a little bit further. Bycatches are an especially big problem because of the indiscriminate nature of trawling.

BBS Signature