00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can Kirby defeat Superman?

2,610 Views | 21 Replies

Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 18:52:14

Hear me out on this. After I did some research, I've come to the conclusion that Kirby might defeat Superman in a fight. Feel free to add your own reasons as to who'd win in case I've missed something.

Reasons in favor of Kirby winning:

1.) He defeated Majin Buu in Death Battle by using Majin Buu's energy attacks against him, so Kirby could defeat Superman in the same way. Especially if Superman releases all of his super energy via his solar flare ability and Kirby survives that by reflecting the move back at him in Hypernova mode.

2.) Kirby does not seem to have any (known) canon physical limits, unlike Goku. That would make him on par with Superman.

3.) Kirby could inhale kryptonite and become a living, breathing, ass-kicking thing of pure kryptonite.

4.) His victory is certain if he manages to inhale Superman.

5.) He would probably exploit Superman's weakness to magic since I doubt that Kirby shares Goku's "Fair fight" mantra.

Reasons in favor of Superman winning:

1.) He can punch harder than Kirby ever could, so Kirby could be defeated if all Superman did was physical attacks instead of energy attacks.

2.) Superman has been shown to lift both eternity and infinity, Kirby has not.

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 19:00:48

At 7/20/15 06:52 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: 2.) Superman has been shown to lift both eternity and infinity

What.
I can not get my head around this, or why the writers would do this.
Can all kryptonians punch God in the face?

BBS Signature

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 19:07:50

At 7/20/15 07:04 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 7/20/15 06:52 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: 2.) Superman has been shown to lift both eternity and infinity
What.
Can all kryptonians punch God in the face?
Their physiology allows them to infinitely absorb the most abundant form of energy in the universe, they're better than gods.

It gets worse.
http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime_(One_Million)

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 19:27:08

At 7/20/15 07:04 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 7/20/15 07:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
What.
Their physiology allows them to infinitely absorb the most abundant form of energy in the universe, they're better than gods.

My mind is still boggling over the impracticality of lifting infinity, using an infinite amount of energy.

Either it becomes a situation where something is trying to carry something that includes itself,
Or that everything everywhere at every time has to become absolute zero in order for superman to do something for reasons that baffle me.

This sounds like a way of saying "look how amazing/incredible superman is", but he still remains a fairly bland character overall.

BBS Signature

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 19:57:10

A few questions:

Which version of Superman is being used? Pre Crisis or Post?

Who's writing the fucking thing? They're both fictional characters and writers can dream up whatever plot they want to let the character they want to win.

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 20:01:28

At 7/20/15 07:57 PM, someaveragechap wrote: A few questions:

Which version of Superman is being used? Pre Crisis or Post?

Post.

Who's writing the fucking thing? They're both fictional characters and writers can dream up whatever plot they want to let the character they want to win.

No one's really writing anything. Kirby will be a composite character of all the canon Kirby continuities combined.

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 20:07:21

At 7/20/15 08:01 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: No one's really writing anything. Kirby will be a composite character of all the canon Kirby continuities combined.

I suppose it goes to how bad Superman wants to win and if he considers Kirby a living being or a biomass weapon. If it was the later, he could just fly into orbit and snipe Kirby with his heat vision. Supes has the speed to avoid Kirby, and Kirby's vaccum attack has limited range and power.

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:10:06

At 7/20/15 08:07 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 7/20/15 08:01 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: No one's really writing anything. Kirby will be a composite character of all the canon Kirby continuities combined.
I suppose it goes to how bad Superman wants to win and if he considers Kirby a living being or a biomass weapon. If it was the later, he could just fly into orbit and snipe Kirby with his heat vision. Supes has the speed to avoid Kirby, and Kirby's vaccum attack has limited range and power.

Kirby has the Warp Star, which makes him go faster than light itself, just like Superman. And if he goes Hypernova while on the Warp Star, then that pretty much negates the range and power of the vacuum attack.

At 7/20/15 11:10 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Kirby has the Warp Star, which makes him go faster than light itself, just like Superman. And if he goes Hypernova while on the Warp Star, then that pretty much negates the range and power of the vacuum attack.

Kirby is still dumber then a bag of hammers.

or maybe he's really clever.
like I said, it depends on who's writing it. These are fictional characters. I could say Peter Pan kicks Kirby's ass and write out a short story of it.

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:17:19

superman is literally invincible but

he also died twice

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:22:14

At 7/20/15 11:14 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 7/20/15 11:10 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Kirby is still dumber then a bag of hammers.
or maybe he's really clever.
like I said, it depends on who's writing it. These are fictional characters. I could say Peter Pan kicks Kirby's ass and write out a short story of it.

Well, Kirby has survived a lot worse than just bombs. The explosion of a planet he's on didn't really hurt him. For all I know he'd probably survive a black hole because he practically IS a walking, talking black hole.

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:24:27

At 7/20/15 11:17 PM, PsychoZombii wrote: superman is literally invincible but

he also died twice
At 7/20/15 11:22 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Well, Kirby has survived a lot worse than just bombs.

Kirby also dies every time you mess up a game, so there is that.

Are you calling me out, thegamechanger? Feels like youre calling me out

As a Kirby fan myself, im just gonna say this:

No, Kirby cannot defeat Superman. After finding out just how OP Superman is, I firmly believe he'd kick Kirby's ass pretty easily. The only chance Kirby would ever have is to copy Superman's abilities, but that requires being able to suck Superman up. Seeing as how fast Superman can move, I have no doubt he could easily outmaneuver Kirby's suction power, and probably even Hypernova Kirby's suction power too, though im unsure if Superman can outspeed a black hole's suction power, which is the amount of suction force Hypernova Kirby has(Superman probably can tho).
As for inhaling Superman's attacks, and bouncing them back, that wont really work either. A majority of Superman's combat is hand-to-hand. He has his laser eyes and tornado breath, sure, but a) im not sure Kirby could rebound attacks like those, and b) even if he could, it wouldnt do much against Superman anyway.
Anything else Kirby throws at Superman just isnt going to phase him enough. The next strongest ability he has is Ultra Sword, but that isnt gonna do shit against Superman.

Now lemme look at your arguments, @thegamechanger

At 7/20/15 06:52 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Reasons in favor of Kirby winning:

1.) He defeated Majin Buu in Death Battle by using Majin Buu's energy attacks against him, so Kirby could defeat Superman in the same way. Especially if Superman releases all of his super energy via his solar flare ability and Kirby survives that by reflecting the move back at him in Hypernova mode.

Ehh... I dunno about that one. I dont think the solar flare ability is similar to Buu's Planet Buster attack. Whereas Planet Buster is one massive ball of energy, Solar Flare is more like a massive explosion. Kirby cant really suck up explosions.

2.) Kirby does not seem to have any (known) canon physical limits, unlike Goku. That would make him on par with Superman.

While this might be true, this doesnt immediately make him on-par with Superman. I feel like Kirby has some hidden limits that we're just unaware of. I mean, Kirby can get tired in the middle of battle, he doesnt have a bottomless supply of stamina.

3.) Kirby could inhale kryptonite and become a living, breathing, ass-kicking thing of pure kryptonite.

For whatever reason, I dont feel like if Kirby inhaled kryptonite(which, btw, where is he going to find any?), he'd just become "kryptonite kirby". Most things he inhales to get his powers from are living enemies with abilities that he can actively copy, and not inanimate objects

4.) His victory is certain if he manages to inhale Superman.

Already covered this

5.) He would probably exploit Superman's weakness to magic since I doubt that Kirby shares Goku's "Fair fight" mantra.

I dont think any of Kirby's abilities count as magic, except maybe the star rod, but thats iffy.

Reasons in favor of Superman winning:

1.) He can punch harder than Kirby ever could, so Kirby could be defeated if all Superman did was physical attacks instead of energy attacks.

Exactly, and I feel Superman would pick up on that pretty quickly

2.) Superman has been shown to lift both eternity and infinity, Kirby has not.

not really sure what youre getting at here, but yeah, thats true

So thats my 2 cents on this. 99% sure that Superman would win this one
But I mean, ya never really know. Maybe theres something Im just not thinking that would allow Kirby to totally dominate Supes, but I kinda doubt it

The winner, is Superman

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:38:27

At 7/20/15 11:24 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 7/20/15 11:17 PM, PsychoZombii wrote: superman is literally invincible but

he also died twice
At 7/20/15 11:22 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Well, Kirby has survived a lot worse than just bombs.
Kirby also dies every time you mess up a game, so there is that.

yeah but thats like saying dragonball gt was canon lol

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:42:58

At 7/20/15 11:38 PM, PsychoZombii wrote:
yeah but thats like saying dragonball gt was canon lol

*snort*

'This fictional event never happened!'

'Obviously...'

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:49:11

At 7/20/15 11:40 PM, Vinnyy wrote: You just contradicted yourself.

How can he be completely invincible and still die twice? That doesn't make sense unless you're going to say that invincibility is not the same as immortality.

oh im sorry i said one thing but what i MEANT was:

superman is "literally invincible" but
he died twice

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:52:17

Try to read and imagine this without laughing: What if both Kirby and Superman were suddenly retconned? If they got retconned, what would change? For all I know it could be a role reversal, with Superman with Kirby's respective powers and vice versa!

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-20 23:56:25

10/10 for accuracy

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-21 10:14:31

How do you spend so much time thinking about this kind of shit

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-21 10:56:25

the real question is, can kirby defeat john cena clean?

| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

At 7/21/15 10:58 AM, SadisticAphid60 wrote: Reading this hurt my heart. Please don't do Death Battles with Superman. At least we know that Goku isn't invincible. Superman fans have him win every single fucking battle! Theres no point to doing this stuff if Superman can kill god...

I wish they would nerf Superman back to his original power set. He couldn't fly, but could leap tremendous distances, he had impenetrable skin and had incredible strength and stamnia that still had upper limits. Then power creep, power seep set in and by the Silver Age he was pretty much God/Jesus rolled into one. The only real challenges he faced were omnipotent beings like Composite Superman(funnily enough, he didn't have Superman's powers, but the entire Legion of Superheroes) or that genie guy from the fifth dimension who's name I don't want to look up. Post Crisis had his power scaled back, but it didn't take too long for writers to ramp him up again...

Response to Can Kirby defeat Superman? 2015-07-21 20:40:30

At 7/21/15 07:31 AM, Hoodie wrote: Have you guys ever played Kirby? Fucker's only got like 4 pegs of health, shit.

Dude is totally right on this one! After the 4th hit, Kirby is fucked!

this made me laugh so much