00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Loops on NG

1,005 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey! I wonder if someone else had the same problem: Recently when I try to upload loops here on NG sometimes there is a tiny lag after the looping point and sometimes some click noise even when I bounce a seamless loop. I never had this problem before but now it goes on for 2 months or something. Even when I upload a track and it works fine, sometimes if I make an update with changes which have nothing to do with the looping point this problem appears randomly and I have to export the track several times until it´s fine again... That´s quite strange since I didn´t change anything. Any ideas about that? As said the loop is already bounced as a seamless loop. And works fine before uploading to NG.

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-11 20:51:15

At 7/11/15 08:35 PM, Azhthar wrote: words

It's to do with NG using MP3 instead of OGG because NG is a pile of wank.

p.s. ur gay

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-11 21:48:12

This is a complete long-shot, but try exporting your track as a .wav file first and then convert it to an mp3. Wavs tend to loop better, probably because of their losless quality, so maybe if you upload your file this way it'll work. Like I said, it's a long-shot, based on pretty much nothing.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 07:03:32

At 7/11/15 09:48 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: This is a complete long-shot, but try exporting your track as a .wav file first and then convert it to an mp3. Wavs tend to loop better, probably because of their losless quality, so maybe if you upload your file this way it'll work. Like I said, it's a long-shot, based on pretty much nothing.

Thanks for the input. I always export as .wav first and convert it to mp3 afterwards...

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 13:09:55

The MP3 codec mixes in a slight bit of silence at the beginning of the audio. This is why MP3 sucks very badly for loops and just bad for professional audio in general.
Also, rendering your mix to a WAV first will have no affect on this as for it's still the source audio from your workstation.

Interested in custom music or sound design for your project? Shoot me an email!

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 13:17:07

At 7/12/15 01:09 PM, jdagenet wrote: The MP3 codec mixes in a slight bit of silence at the beginning of the audio. This is why MP3 sucks very badly for loops and just bad for professional audio in general.
Also, rendering your mix to a WAV first will have no affect on this as for it's still the source audio from your workstation.

Well AAaallllllmost. That "silence" is the metadata it feeds to the audio software telling it who the artist is etc. The software reads that first and then reads the song, hence the silence. ^_^

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 13:36:46

No, it's the codec's encoding algorithm. The METADATA can be empty and the silence still persists.

Interested in custom music or sound design for your project? Shoot me an email!

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 13:39:26

Everyone is right about the silence. We recently changed the player because it had a long standing bug where it would glitch the audio like if you opened a new tab and stuff like that.

Open your submission, click on the player to open the options. Make sure Smart Loop is selected. This will remove the silences, but also causes lag/glitching, so it's ONLY selected when the submission is marked as a loop, so make sure you did that.

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 14:47:53

At 7/12/15 01:39 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
Open your submission, click on the player to open the options. Make sure Smart Loop is selected. This will remove the silences, but also causes lag/glitching, so it's ONLY selected when the submission is marked as a loop, so make sure you did that.

Ahhh... Good to know! Thanks a lot everyone.

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 15:24:08

you cannot remove the lag from mp3 as far as I know

BBS Signature

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 17:05:44 (edited 2015-07-12 17:06:44)

At 7/12/15 01:36 PM, jdagenet wrote: No, it's the codec's encoding algorithm. The METADATA can be empty and the silence still persists.

Even if the metadata is empty, the gap is still there for it to fill in the mp3's encoding. ^_^
Sure, I don't know this for scientific fact but I tend to research loads of random stuff when it interests me and this is one of the things that came up about 4 years ago. I can't NOT satisfy my curiosity! :O

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 17:27:06 (edited 2015-07-12 17:27:44)

At 7/12/15 01:39 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Open your submission, click on the player to open the options. Make sure Smart Loop is selected. This will remove the silences, but also causes lag/glitching, so it's ONLY selected when the submission is marked as a loop, so make sure you did that.

I tried it and realized that the Smart Loop option is selected by default if it is uploaded as loop. Anyway, now everything works fine (tried several different mp3 which didn´t work yesterday). Did you change this somehow or is it just coincidence?

Also @MetalRenard : Interesting to know the metadata is causing the lag. Makes sense. I didn´t know this although I knew about the problems with mp3 and looping.

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 18:03:01

At 7/12/15 05:27 PM, Azhthar wrote: I tried it and realized that the Smart Loop option is selected by default if it is uploaded as loop. Anyway, now everything works fine (tried several different mp3 which didn´t work yesterday). Did you change this somehow or is it just coincidence?

I didn't change anything recently. Were you just not setting the submissions up as loops?

I knew about the problems with mp3 and looping.

That's why we have a custom player that removes the silences on mp3 loops. Unfortunately that causes problems on other tracks like I said which is why we have it as an option now.

Response to Loops on NG 2015-07-12 18:09:42

At 7/12/15 06:03 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 7/12/15 05:27 PM, Azhthar wrote: I tried it and realized that the Smart Loop option is selected by default if it is uploaded as loop. Anyway, now everything works fine (tried several different mp3 which didn´t work yesterday). Did you change this somehow or is it just coincidence?
I didn't change anything recently. Were you just not setting the submissions up as loops?

Hmmm... actually not. They were set as loops before. Maybe then it´s really just some coincidence somehow.