00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Herozaitama just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

22 Million Affected by OPM Hack

444 Views | 6 Replies

22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-09 18:17:29

The U.S. agency burglarized by suspected Chinese hackers has completed its long-awaited damage assessment and more than 22 million people inside and outside government likely had their personal information stolen, officials announced today.

That number is more than five times larger than what the Office of Personnel Management announced a month ago when first acknowledging a major breach had occurred. At the time, OPM only disclosed that the personnel records of 4.2 million current and former federal employees had been compromised.

The extent of the hacking was first reported earlier today by ABC News.

Investigators ultimately determined that 19.7 million applicants for security clearances had their Social Security numbers and other personal information stolen and 1.8 million relatives and other associates also had information taken, according to OPM. That includes 3.6 million of the current and former government employees for a total of 22.1 million.

source

that's bad. but the funny thing is the chinese who are doing this are actually run of the mill, they've said that companies and the government have really shitty security, that and the fact the US doesn't go near as far as it should with talks about cyber crime originating from china.

Response to 22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-09 18:21:11

This is nothing new and happens all the time throughout the world

Did you now just learn about this? I remember when I found out about hacking when I was 12

Response to 22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-09 18:24:05

At 7/9/15 06:21 PM, tigeruppercuts wrote: This is nothing new and happens all the time throughout the world

Did you now just learn about this? I remember when I found out about hacking when I was 12

Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

BBS Signature

Response to 22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-09 18:27:06

At 7/9/15 06:21 PM, tigeruppercuts wrote: This is nothing new and happens all the time throughout the world

I know about it. But just a brief explanation to those who didn't :).

Response to 22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-09 22:47:26

At 7/9/15 07:01 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: they could channel all that knowledge and power into taking out their own corrupt government

We have a winner, folks.

Response to 22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-10 11:56:23

Will the USA do anything about this Chinese attack? Probably not.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 22 Million Affected by OPM Hack 2015-07-10 12:07:59

This doesn't happen if you hire a few white-hats. It's their own damn fault.